Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Haerc posted:

I wonder why Elliot never mentions being offered the job at Evil Corp. to anyone at FSociety? Maybe that's how he gets back in with them.

I think he might have already burned that bridge no matter what. To them, you're either committed or you're not. But I'm pretty sure they're a delusion anyway, since there's no way they would keep meeting there if he had bailed. Also, why does a derelict amusement arcade have power, lights, running water, and I think I saw a working popcorn machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

Dude... any hacker worth his/her salt can hook up power and a popcorn machine...

Pretty sure the city would notice a giant arcade full of games draining off the grid, though. It's not like they're just running a satellite wifi connection and the laptops.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
My Swedish friend thought the Danish was some kind of bizarre made up language that she was mangling.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Also, the great thing that came of that scenario is the point that even these ultra-elite hackers aren't infallible with their skills. Her code still got found by the malware checker. That's a real nice touch to a show that seems to focus on how powerful hackers can be.

It wouldn't have if she had written her own code for the purpose. That's what the next scene was about. Elliot was pissed at her for using code borrowed from someone else, which was already in malware databases.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's possible he erased himself from all public databases and left only the very bare-bones government registries intact. Social security and such. That would let him have a job while giving him zero internet footprint.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

If that were the case why would he have bothered going to therapy at all?

Because presumably there were enough people paying attention to him, and maybe doing unhackable paperwork, that it was easier for him to just go than deal with trying to trick everyone. Also, he is one big walking cry for help. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to go out of a halfassed desire to improve himself.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Here's what I think will happen:

1. Despite whatever last-minute obstacles that spring up, F-Society and Dark Army trigger their hack.
2. Tyrell manages to snag a copy of the encryption key, then uses it to threaten the Evil Corp board of directors: make him CEO, or lose everything.
3. On his way up, he snags Elliot as CTO, when F-Society turns on him.

I actually hope they don't go this way, since it's very much the "status quo" option. A much bolder course would be to really go through with it, and see the aftermath of F-Society "saving the world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, none of this would ever happen in real life. The economic, political and demographic dynamics are totally different today than they were in the 19th century, when Africa was first colonized. IRC Congo has now a population of around 100 mio people and it makes absolutely no sense for China to take on these people as citizens and/or dependents, just to exploit some natural resources. Neocolonialism works absolutely fine for that and there is zero reason to go beyond that.

Yeah, this is one of those things that really takes you out of the show whenever it's mentioned. Why in god's name would China want the Congo when they can use its resources via companies?

• Locked thread