Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Koramei posted:

It's happened a bunch of times for me, except for the multiplayer game where i was austria and specifically tried to get it to fire

on the other hand this just happened

:eyepop:

Side question, is that a font/map mod (and which one) or, if not, how do you get the clear white text and smooth border lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I'm playing my first game after about two years dry of EU4, and there are a couple things new that I'm struggling with. Fortunately none of it new to Common Sense:

1) Just what are Trade Companies? Are they simply a province modifier or something else? I keep seeing references as to how a Trade Company might be a separate entity almost like a colonial nation, but all I see is the button to add a provice to the trade company which puts a couple positives and negatives on the province.

2) This might actually be partly new to common sense, but has forced vassalization always been so expensive (diplo point wise)? Is there some form of casus belli that can reduce the cost, or is that a mission specific thing?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Node posted:

I have a quick question about war declarations. I'm too afraid to try it out since I'm on Ironman.

I am Sweden. I am allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Commonwealth, who is also allied to France, Brandenburg, and the Livonian Order. I want the Commonwealth's coastlines, but they are allied those humongous powers that I wouldn't be able to beat. However, if I declare war on the LO, I could take at least some of Commonwealth's coast, since they are not a co-belligerent. This war, I could win. Brandenburg will join the war on my side since they don't give a gently caress about the LO.

However, if I check the Commonwealth as a co-belligerent, the green checkmarks on the DOW screen don't change. It says that Brandenburg and France will still join my war. But will they? Whose side will they join if I start the war? Something tells me the screen is lying, and that I would be fighting against the combined strengths of the LO, Commonwealth, France, and Brandenburg, since they would be fighting a defensive war.

Okay, thanks.

That window will never reflect the results of co-belligerent status. I don't honestly know how the AI processes orders, but here is how it should work:

1) You declare war and Calls to Arms go out as noted in the war declaration screen

2) Those countries process whether they accept or not and do it. Both sides at the same time.

3) Anyone marked as a co-belligerent sends out Calls to Arms for its own Allies after accepting the invitation.

So in that case France and Brandenburg get your call and make the decision. If they accept, then they're stuck. If they refuse then they're free to receive the Commonwealths call after it accepts their call to arms and thus may join on their side because there is always a small chance the AI will take the opposite decision. However most of the time your case should result in France and Brandenburg on your side against the Commonwealth.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm starting to really hate the new garrison system. I have zero fort maintenance. The enemy takes it in one month. I immediately counter attack before the garrison increases from 50. The siege lasts 500 days and I get 12 war exhaustion from one occupied province.

That and the fact that one active fort stops however many thousands of troops. I liked the concept but if I've got a 50k stack against a level 2/3 fort I should be able to leave behind 12 or 18k for the fort and then move on. Invading any big country in the mid-late game is just punishing. Hello, 400k Ottoman army knocking at your door, we'll see your capital 8 provinces in after about 5 years of tearing down the ring of castles AI loves to put up. I will have nightmares of trying to tear down Ming for years.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Can someone explain (or maybe provide an LP?) of playing tall? I understand the general concept from other games of building a solid compact position that you continue to improve rather than investing resources in direct expansion, but how does that work in EU4? It seems like there is a lot of mechanics to just screw you over playing like that. Diplomatic relations limits, vassal liberty desire, trying to indirectly a vassals overextension and other problems. Short of starting in a strong colonizer position and forging everything but trade and colonialism I just can't wrap my head around it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Frontspac posted:

The AI really needs to be better at knowing when it's beat (or when it's won). I've been dragged into far too many wars that just drag on forever for no real reason because the AI for some reason has no interest in just taking it's wargoal and going home. The AI fights every war like it's all or nothing, which can be super frustrating. My Flanders game was hosed up pretty bad because I was called into a defensive/coalition war with my ally AI France, who then not only lost but insisted on losing badly. Instead of ending the war when it was obviously lost and making sane concessions, France just kept going until it was collapsing in on itself, handing the enemy a 100% warscore victory and releasing a bunch of my hard earned territory. If you're not a co-belligerent in a war, it shouldn't be that hard/costly to peace out. The AI should be a bit more keen on getting you out of the war so it can focus on it's objectives than extracting as many punishing concessions as possible at every turn.

I mean those kind of grinding, gently caress everyone over total wars can and should happen -- but not every war, especially not in the early game.

I actually started doing Ironman achievements just because I'd get so fed up with this BS in a regular game that I'd use the yesman cheat to enforce peace periodically. Eventually got so bad I had to go to Ironman just to stop myself from doing it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Holy poo poo. Is there some way for AI Bonuses to get turned on in an Ironman game? I've been getting really frustrated the last week as I've been playing Ironman games (bouncing between Poland, Sweden, and Tunis) trying to figure out how in the hell I was getting so slammed and unable to make any headway compared to others I'd seen in LPs and videos. Turns out I finally decided to hover over force limits in my latest Poland game trying to work out how I could face down the 1460 Ottomans with 75k and a 79 force limit, or Muscovy with just Perm annexed and a 48k army with a 54 force limit. Turns out all my saves had AI bonuses turned on in Ironman mode. I created a normal mode game with default settings, then made a new Ironman and the bonuses were turned off in the new game so hopefully they stay off, but I'm nowhere near hardcore/insane enough to keep playing with those AI bonuses. Especially since Lithuania was only building to about 20-25k even with a force limit of 55 and the idea of not having to face down a united Iberian penisula with over 80k as Tunis would be nice.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else get really awful stutter at max speed? i'm way over the requirements for the game and yet it's stuttering while looking around the map, but remains smooth when the game is paused

If you turn off the fog of war that can happen. The other alternative is if you're on Ironman mode or have monthly autosaves your computer is stuttering at the end of each month so it can save. That happens to me where at speed 5 the game progresses so quickly through a month that it appears as if the game goes super quick for a few seconds then goes unresponsive for a few more when saving, then back again.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'd do Spain, England, Muscovy or Austria for a tutorial video. The first three get you multiple wars, colonization, heavy handed diplomacy, very clear goals and specific decisions. Spain and England get you some naval material and exploration on top of that, Spain also gets you special events and probably PUs. Austria shows off the real challenges with diplomacy, the HRE, and lets you really explore complex relationships in wars.

I think Ottoman's are something to be avoided, even compared to others I didn't list. Not a whole lot of diplomacy work and there are really only two ways to play them, either go for a slow historical run which is fairly bland and doesn't show off the game or go full on exploiting the mechanics to expand like crazy which can be fun but shouldn't be done as part of a tutorial style video.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How in the hell do you get off the ground as Lucca? I can't get a single start that doesn't involve one of the things happening:

1) Allying with Milan and/or Savoy to take down Ferrara or maybe Florence if I'm lucky, but they end up being called to other wars and overrun (army wise) before I can finish mine and I can't support the troops to even siege the capitals of either nation.

2) Allying with the Papal States and being shut down from expanding because it's considered a "Great Power" by France/Austria/Hungary and eventually getting crushed by dealing with the HRE land penalty (since I can't get Austria above the point where they don't ask) and the eventual encroachment of someone (Aragon, France, etc).

3) Allying with someone to take down Genoa but then losing the stepping stone into Asia as Crimea, Circassia or someone will take the opportunity to grab Genoa's holdings over there before I can get rid of the truce timer from picking up Scio.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 7, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So I spent the whole game ignoring this part of the world, what the gently caress is going on?! I've never seen results like this.

Across about a dozen, maybe 15, games (1.12/1.13) I've seen Byzantium successfully ally with Hungary and/or Poland a couple times to survive against the Ottomans or the Ottomans choose to go after Hungary first before collecting their cores. Probably one of those happened here, and weakened both Hungary and the Ottomans, so that when Venice went to war with them (happens about every game if the Ottomans scoop up Albania early) they probably gave some territory to the Knights and it escalated from there. The Crimean situation can also happen if Genoa gets lucky or Crimea gets weakened by the Horde and doesn't ally the Ottomans (or maybe they did in this case and that helped collapse the Ottomans).

nessin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 8, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone tried MEIOU & Taxes and have a positive spin on it? I figured I'm drat near 4 digits in hours played so why not try out a major mod and while I can appreciate that it adds "more", none it seems particularly compelling. I know I've probably only scratched the surface, but after a dozen hours I'm not playing the game any different, the excessive amount of decisions is getting just out of hand, and even with all the extra underlying mechanics I'm not actually playing the game any differently than I would have in the base EU4. Just wondering if I'm missing the magic or what? I did start with the Ottoman's figuring it'd be a good jumping off point and that may be part of the problem but I still don't get it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Unless the tooltip is lying, tributaries count towards WC as well. So, uh, if you've ever wanted that achievement now's the time.

With Three Mountains being a thing the standard World Conquest achievement is like going for second place in a race.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I was listening to a podcast yesterday which mentioned the Imperium mod, which was a surprise to me since for some reason I never thought of EU4 having any big conversion mods other than M&T. Are there any other significant overhaul mods out there worth checking out besides M&T and Imperium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a Cradle of Civilizations DLC and patch feature overview that rests somewhere between the short Paradox video and a full on early access let's play?

• Locked thread