Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jolan posted:

Growing wide is terribly expensive and growing tall is terribly expensive, not to mention peace deal costs that've shot through the roof. I'm not liking this at all so far. Hopefully a fresh start tomorrow will change my outlook, but I fear it's just too many changes at once for an old guy like me.

I suspect they intended to force some actual tough decisions, although maybe they went farther than planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Average Bear posted:

like what the gently caress lol

:getin:

This is a good bug.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Average Bear posted:

How, I have to respend monarch points to get my good idea sets back and have no legitimacy
edit: didn't even notice my monarch points getting drained. Great waste of 4 hours by ruining this ironman save

Well, other than the part where it's save-ruining.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GSD posted:

The election turn around is really short, compared to most republics. This means you can upgrade your rulers by re-electing them all the faster. It costs you republican tradition, but you can get god-presidents pretty quickly.

Also your ruler gets called Captain-General and who wouldn't want to be a Captain-General?

My first Milan game the Ambrosian Republic was founded by a 6-4-6 19 year old.

The other candidates did not win a lot of elections and the republic did not last very long.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

MikeC posted:

I am keeping a close eye on the steam sales for this game and would just like to confirm that the thread title is actually good advice and not just a humorous pun at their latest expansion which appears will not go on sale?

All of the content DLCs are good-to-great. (El Dorado is a bit niche-er than most, but still worth getting.)

If you play with the music on, the music DLCs are great.

I can personally live without the unit (and building?) graphic DLC but will sometimes pick it up anyway, but it's definitely bottom of the priority list.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't that way too many horsies?

Yeah, I'm personally about 6-2-N or 6-4-N (or, later in game, 8-2-N).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really lazy with army management. I have set template built stacks and in war I will never split them up because then I'll have to deal with sorting them all out after the war. So I'll sit there sieging with my 28 stack one fort at a time even with no enemy resistance because the idea of splitting an army up gets me all OCD.

Now that manpower actually seems to matter maybe I should stop that? What are some good army strategies? I know nothing about actually min-maxing combat other than "don't attack into mountains" the rest is unpredictable wizardry to me.

Deploy them in conveniently modular template stacks. Pile them into a province if presented with resistance.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

What am I supposed to do when I'm up against an enemy country that has some crazy god-general? I started a game as Poland and got a (0/0/1/0) piece of poo poo out of my first general, while Hungary got a (4/4/4/1) monstrosity.

Fire and replace the general, attrit down the Hungarians like you're fighting a defensive war, let the Lithuanians drown them in expendable Orthodox peasant corpses.

And see if you can gank any secondary stacks. Attila Reborn can only be in one place at a time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Node posted:

And just who are the true sons of Rome anyway, when Paradox brutishly nerfs Byz with every patch?

The Ottomans, surely?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Fuuuuuck living near the Ottomans on Ironman mode. Tried to get the Arabian Coffee achievement, but their armies ridiculously outnumber mind and even if I can accrue something to match their, their army will still win because they start with great generals.

Be a lazy rear end in a top hat, start as the Mamluks. You can form Arabia and get the achievement before they come for you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

firestruck posted:

How much easier is Albania, since they no longer start at war with the Ottomans?

Probably "nearly infinitely" as compared to the El Dorado access-sharing.... problems.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vichan posted:

I noticed Egypt is a country now, can the Mamluks change tags?

They can at least turn into Arabia, because that's how all the boring people like me got the coffee achievement!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sorced posted:

After a little bit of messing around it seems like colonization is broken for everyone and only works on provinces you border.

:raise:

I assume this is the beta patch?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

I'd probably hop on it, there don't seem to be any other major bugs that have cropped up relative to the live version, and the beta includes a ton of bug fixes.

Probably the biggest changes are buffs in AT from sieges, up to 1.0/year AT from maintaining forts, and the change to development cost calculation. You get +1 Diplomat at King rank gov't and +1 leader at Emperor which is a nice quality of life improvement and once again makes Aristocratic ideas pretty terrible.

Bunch of new NI sets. A few map changes, Tuscany is now Florence (Tuscany is a formable monarchy) and a couple of the other Italian minors now have more varied colors. Sudtirol/Trent is now Venetian culture. Ternate and Tidore (the Moluccan islands) each get +3 goods produced to help them start out.

Is it less awful to play a non-European than at release?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah. They still have the increased tech costs but they no longer get penalties to monarch points and the units have been rebalanced to be competitive at tech parity.

I was actually asking about vs Common Sense release. (I don't remember a monarch point penalty and I'm pretty sure the unit buff was a long time ago.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Star posted:

I've never played The Mamluks so I thought I give it a go and hopefully do the Arabian Coffee achievement, and I have to say that it's one of the more fun countries I've played lately. Good economy, large army and really intense starting position as you pretty much have to hurry all you can to take down the Ottomans before they get going. It's around 1500 and I've managed to kick them completely out of modern-day Turkey so now they're a small state in the Balkans. I would leave them alone from now on and hope that either Hungary or Venice take them out, but I am not sure I can trust them to actually get it done and I sure as hell don't want them trying to reclaim their cores.

You're overachieving, but that's fine.

Arabian Coffee as Mamluks is really easy, just smash your way to forming Arabia (only risky part is, of course, the provinces near the Ottoman border), smash your way to 50%+1 coffee production, and don't care about the long-term.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Revolution can't die in Pfalz.

Pfalz - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Pfalz - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Pfalz - Finally facing my Pfalz

It simply doesn't work.

On the plus side, it rhymes with "balls", so I'm sure someone will come up with an amusing song in this timeline.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No it doesn't. :colbert:

Option A: Whoops, you're right, I forgot. Well, less amusingly, it rhymes with faults/malts/Balts.

Option B: It does now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kersch posted:

Emperor of Cornwall?

Oh lmao

"Succession war between Great Britain and Wales."

Well, I know who I'm rooting for.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Star posted:

Perfectly historical.

You missed a chance to found Gotlanama.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

That, and England's positions means they almost have to avoid ever losing a major battle. If France loses, she can retreat to safety, if England loses, they need to have boats ready immediately to evac off continent for a bit if France has a free army floating about; if AI England's troops retreat two provinces over and get immediately stack wiped by a free French army, they're never coming back from that.

Conveniently, this becomes a non-problem if they think to take out Brittany! The Nantes and Normandy forts interdict movement to the tip of the peninsula.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

In my Lucca game, which is actually going quite well other than this one small hiccup, France just became the leader of a personal union with Spain (who, incidentally, also integrated Naples).

:gonk:

(I immediately dropped GB to ally with them, after doing a bit of math on the alliance acceptance values.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

So I think I'm going to go for A Sun God (own all of South America as Inca) next since I haven't played in the Americas in absolutely forever. Any general advice/tips/things to absolutely do/avoid doing? I've been reading up on the wiki about how the authority and religious reforms system works and think I get it, but would love to know if there's anything non-obvious about either system that I should keep an eye out for.

"Don't play Common Sense"? :negative:

El Dorado was more or less the peak of American-minor fun and power.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Well look who just got herself appointed Dogaressa for Life

This must be the best luck I've ever had with the Ambrosian Republic event firing

My first Milan game (in a patch where you start as a monarchy) my first Republican ruler was a 20-year-old 6-5-6.

That was a very, very short-lived republic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Whorelord posted:

I hate how the ruler of the ambrosian republic is no longer called Captain-General

Yeah, worst nerf of any patch in recent history.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

effsea posted:

No hard cap:

Cultural acceptance map-mode:

-15% Ottoman Idea 1: Millets
-50% Humanist Idea 5: Cultural Ties
-10% Humanist−Diplomatic: Multilingual Diplomats
-10% Humanist−Plutocratic: Cultural Recognition Act
-10% Trading in Silk
-10% Enlightened Despotism
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
-105% Accepted Culture Threshold

20% + (-1.05 * 20%) = -1.00% percent [sic] to become accepted

Jesus Christ Allah akbar.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TTBF posted:

Yeah, after thinking about it most of the territory I'm going to be taking after the game start isn't going to be very expensive to core, at least until I get Admin Efficiency. So I'm probably going to knock Administrative out of that list.

The other amazing thing about admin is the merc discounts, though - I am a convert to the Reformed Church of Mercenary Meatshields. It's now my favorite admin-point group unless I desperately and immediately need humanism or religious. The only mediocre thing about it is the interest idea, and even that can be valuable when you need to hit the big red button.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Poil posted:

:greece:
But there is a limit to how many loans you can take I think. And you are supposed to take a lot of loans as well.

I keep forgetting this part.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Converting to Sunni is a great move for lots of reasons.

Counterpoint: take religious, get a casus belli on the entire planet. :colbert:

(Also, pretty sure you need to be Coptic to get the achievement.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

In my Ethiopia superpower game, the (Catholic and Protestant?) Europeans are suddenly and without explanation breaking their alliances and royal marriages with me, in the mid-1600s.

They will then accept alliances and marriages again, which they will then proceed to break.

On the one hand, I'm toying with using this to destroy them with stabhits. On the other hand, I am now extremely nervous about the Turks potentially kicking off a war with me before I'm ready, now that I'm apparently no longer allowed to buddy up with other superpowers. :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out my (Ethiopian) worry about the Turks was a false alarm, I contributed to a dogpile that's completely broken them.

In which the Mega-Commonwealth got Constantinople. :argh: Well, it'll make for a suitably epic showdown.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Elections are a vital part of the game. Space Victoria?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Another Person posted:

either france or austria has your dynasty, or you have theirs

breaking off the marriage after the baby is born doesn't just kill the baby

One more reason CK2 is a better game, really.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Node posted:

Since I treat this thread like an EU4 blog sometimes, I figure I may as well continue and ask for some advice. Like my recent posts have said, I'm trying a Pester John achievement. I've hit a roadblock. The Ottomans are enormously powerful and we are now in a state of eternal war or white peace. I am allied to Lithuania, Austria, and The Papal State. The Ottomans only have a couple vassals. Every time the white peace expires, within days he declares war. His stacks decimate mine, because he's two levels of mil tech higher than I am (I've never been behind on military, I haven't wasted it on development or too many Defensive ideas) with a tactics advantage. Luckily, since every time he declares war, he has to fight a three front battle. Austria+Pope, and Lithuania lose to him, and so do I, but he doesn't focus on me so I can get a white peace since he has war exhaustion. If I try to go on the offensive, his superior army wastes me. I can't do the Bosphorous Cockblock, he has around 180 ships. My force limit is 90. I can't afford it. My income is barely above zero, despite having a million gold provinces.

e: It's 1655, so I have plenty of time, if I can get out of this endless cycle.

In addition to the scorched earth recommendation, how is your income only neutral? You can probably mothball or scrap your bigboats, for one thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

You don't really want to develop unless you have nothing else to spend them on and you're going to go over the cap, getting a gold province to the 10 dip development, or you're really small and don't intend to get any bigger. I've never really noticed any benefit to development, aside from the gold provinces, though; if you're not conquering somewhere else, what are you doing all game, and if you are conquering, a few extra development is kind of a drop in the bucket. Others might have other opinions, but it really is a bit of a waste of monarch points for me; I'd generally rather try rolling another general or two rather than sink 100 points for 2-3 development into a province most of the time. If you really commit to development, you're probably going to fall behind in technology. I like the idea, but I think it'll probably be better implemented in EU5 if they decide to keep the idea.

It's also arguably worthwhile to jumpstart the smaller minors - Ceylon, for example, really benefits from a couple dip points right out of the gate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

- Buddhists no longer pay any diplomatic cost for releasing nations, releasing vassals and returning cores.
- Reduced Karma loss for starting offensive wars from -25 to -10.

I'd be angrier about this if my verge-of-achievement Ayutthaya playthrough hadn't (accidentally by clicking the wrong button?) gotten de-ironmanned yesterday. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Great, broke the saves :arghfist:

Oh god no. I was well into an excellent Bengal game.

And I probably can't rollback because I was using a beta patch. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mygna posted:

My 1.13 beta ironman save works just fine, I guess it only breaks 1.12 saves?

Fingers crossed. Thanks for trying to unruin my week. :)

Edit: Update: 1.13 beta patch is compatible!

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Node posted:

I have no idea, I've never tried demanding uncorable land. I don't see Africa being an option like you said, the land is just plain awful. I'm looking for an achievement to do. I wonder if Hessian Mercenaries is tougher than it seems.

Hessian. Mercenaries is "get medium size, open mercenary interface, mash face against keyboard and hope you get achievement before going bankrupt". Quite easily unless you wildly miscalculated and good practice for, say, Saxony or Lucca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

double nine posted:

I need some strategic advice. I'm going for the THIS IS PERSIA achievement and I'm in the following situation:

I am persia, and allied with the Ottomans. Khorasan and Haasa are my vassals and I am integrating Khorasan atm. I am terrified of going to war with the Ottomans at this point, so I am staying the hell away from Mamluk territory. I can try and push east into India, South forcevassalizing Oman and vassal-feeding Haasa/Oman with Yemeni provinces, or north and try to pull Ottomans into a war with Muscovy.

What way do I expand into? At the moment my plan is to wait for a destructive war between Ottomans and Austria or Lithouania and then strike them in the back.

Also my manpower is GONE after a disastrous war in the Himalayas so next war is probably going to be mercenary-only. I am cautious against going after Sind because somehow they are allied with Delhi, Jaunpur AND Bahmanis.

What's a good next move? What I have going for me: I have westernised.

You're in excellent shape for 1553, and should start considering converting your infantry forces into mercenaries permanently.

If you're worried about Sind, keep an eye on the political situation in the subcontinent (and what claims Khorasan fabricates) and go kick over Arabia while you wait. India is disgustingly rich. Alternatively, go through Nogai and Uzbek before Muscovy does and open up another available expansion front that isn't reliant on Khorasan having a clue.

• Locked thread