Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Fowl posted:

I keep getting the notice "Too Few Seats in Parliament" as England. How many seats do I need to give out to make that go away?

There's very little downside to keeping your seats to a minimum. I'd personally just hand out seats to the provinces you want to develop thanks to the development discount and let the game pick them when when you need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zurai posted:

That's 0.8 tax per month, which is a great deal frankly.

Pretty sure its .08 and some change per month. One admin development adds one yearly basetax which comes out to .0833333 repeating per month.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So now that I've played around with the game some since the patch and expansion I think I've wrapped my mind around the new, more optimal, way to play the game.

Vassal feeding was important before, but it is even more so now. The hints come in from the fact that marches get their bonuses up to any size and the new vassal interaction mechanics. Actually annexing those vassals is much more expensive than it was before, but maintaining control over a larger vassal swarm has been made much easier. Several things factor in to this:

1: Taking lands in war is the most cost efficient way to get new development under your direct or indirect control. It's free to take them if you have a claim on them, or a vassal has a claim, or if you use certain CB's like holy war. However coring them takes 10 admin per development point although you can get that pretty low late game.

2: Controlling your vassals is much easier now than it used to be. Keeping them as marches means they are VERY unlikely to revolt and even if they have a hankering to take you on, you can placate them with some subject interaction.

3: You're able to improve your own lands without taking others. This means even though you're feeding your marches/vassals a lot of land, you improve your own right culture, right religion lands in optimal ways that allow your buildings to improve them massively. Since vassals look to their relative strength to you, you're able to keep spending those admin and diplo points to improve your lands and ensure you can afford the army to keep them cowed. You should be able keep your vassals placated as long as you build tall and only take a few important provinces here and there directly (like centers of trade or easy to develop lands).

The short of it is I think the optimal play style now is:
A relatively small country which focuses on getting valuable provinces like centers of trade and plains for easy development with a huge vassal swarm that you don't ever integrate (preferably kept as marches) which essentially give you a way to (indirectly) control large tracks of development for free.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Can someone tell me why I would want to use privateers instead of protect trade and what the difference between them is?

Privateers are great for intercepting those treasure fleets and getting that sweet sweet gold.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Obliterati posted:

I don't know how possible this is, but could we ever redo peace deals to have both sides concede things? I'm reading up on the Congress of Vienna and EU doesn't have that ability to say 'you lose: give me these six provinces, I'll make a mild concession with this one of your culture' or something.

e: maybe this is only relevant in MP, where peace deals are often about redrawing borders rather than just taking stuff.

Pretty sure they talked about this early in the life of EU4 but I don't think the AI knows how to handle both giving stuff and taking stuff in a peace deal.

Or maybe that was something from Victoria 2? Though I bet the peace deal system us very similar across their games.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Expanded just a little bit too quickly as Milan and got coalitioned by the pope, Genoa, the swiss, and Hungery. Then two other countries declared war on me when I was down on my luck. Had to give up 100% warscore to the pope et al but turned around and beat the other two italian minors who attacked me while I was being gangbanged.
The AI this patch is so much more rutheless. I love it.

Forts in the Italian area are so incredibly powerful given how little maneuvering room you have.

Now it's in the 1540's and I still don't have enough of italy to form the country. However my development is immense for how big I am. I've got over 400 despite not even having worked my way down to rome yet. Milan itself has a basetax of around 25 and a total development in the low 40's. I have a monthly income of around 45 gold, a profit of about 6 gold, and I'm wielding a 50ish force limit (and this without the quantity idea group, just economic, defensive, and diplomatic). The total of 30% reduction in development costs is huge for me at this stage and it'll only get better as the game goes on. I'm more powerful than Austria, who's kinda floundered thanks to loosing the emperorship early on and never getting it back.

Yes, I'm very happy with this. When I finish with Italy I'm thinking I'll make a bunch of marches around to expand my military even further since money probably won't be an issue.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Some folks in Nite Crew will be playing an MP game tomorrow around 9pm EST. anyone who'd like in is welcome. I'll be hosting as I have all the content DLC. No real frame of what we are doing other than hanging out and playing some EU4 for awhile.

Stop by Tea Time Crew in CCCC let us know if you're interested.

I would love to play, but what the gently caress is CCCC and how can I find it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

What do you suppose are the odds that Common Sense goes on sale during the summer sale?

0%

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Why is it that I can release a vassal and they can have a completely different religion than my own nation and the provinces that they'll get?

Dumb feature imo

You can convert them to your religion with your subject interaction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I know when to build a workshop vs a temple?

Look at the monthly increase in income it gives you. Take the cost it takes to build it and divide it by the increase. That's the amount of time it will take to pay for itself.

As a general rule though, put temples in places with high basetax and workshops in places with either high production or valuable trade goods.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Do workshops affect trade?

Is there an easy way to figure out when a manufactory will pay off?

They won't increase trade power, but they will increase production value.

Manufactories are great, they add more trade goods to a node which in turn increases the value of the node.

The nice thing about production is you make money on it straight off, and then you get to make money on it a second time through trade. If you've got 70% trade power in the node that the trade good is produced (and you're collecting there) you get it's value again in trade at 70%.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah, these days I only directly expand into stuff in my culture group. I make everything else part of a vassal unless it's super important like a center of trade or a gold province.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said Aristocratic was actually pretty good now, because you get +1 Diplomat, +1 Leader slot and -10% Mil tech in addition to some decent military stuff like the +25% manpower, cav bonuses, and -1% tradition decay. It's still not the strongest military idea by a long shot, but a lot of the stuff that was previously underwhelming is now really useful.

Don't forget the increased coring cost which makes you substantially less tasty to other players in a multiplayer game. If you have some national ideas which increase your coring cost too, I've seen provinces with around 40ish development which cost nearly ONE THOUSAND ADMIN POINTS TO CORE.

It's a big ol' gently caress you to anyone who wants to take you over. They'd have to take the province, just eat the OE for the length of the truce, and then get you to give up your cores in a second war to make coring them reasonable.

Edit, Proof:

Double edit:
I looked into it some more and you can't demand someone give up a core on something that the owner doesn't already have cored so double gently caress you whoever takes those provinces. Only thing I can think of would be forcing the country to "return core" to another country or releasing a country so they loose their cores on it and then you take it in a second war. But that would only work if the province is not their primary culture.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Poil posted:

A little more development and it's literally impossible to core for anyone in the western tech group. :psyduck:

Coring price does max out at 999 admin.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Node posted:

Fucks sake, I just don't get how people do this. I'm bad at this game.

I'm guessing his national focus was admin, but what ideas did he take and in what order? Does he say in the thread I assume he made?

The main trick was using a vassal to break the land connection to asia so he could get the distant overseas discount to coring stuff over there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Elman posted:

Hold on, do they get your dynasty when you release them?

I just realized I've never really used Client States.

You get to choose whether they do when you make them.

I can't imagine why you would choose to not give them your dynasty but it's an option.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wiz posted:

AI obeys same rules you do (the block is in the basic pathfinding check). I admit that looks odd though, did they somehow come from Cremona previously?

Could it be that since they can walk over into mantua (who is also in the war) they can walk to all the provinces bordering it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Forts in enemy lands don't project a zone of control if you capture them. They only do their zone of control thing when they are owned and controlled by the same country.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Koramei posted:

I dunno, there are quite a few examples even in huge empires of a single bad ruler running things into the ground (admittedly most of the examples I can think of are China-related, which was an extraordinarily centralized state).

this reminds me though, now that there aren't unique buildings, what do you guys think about a bonus diplomat/general being tied to government rank? So when you're an empire you get an extra of each. I'm not sure I mind the buildings being gone most of the time, they were a bit too easy to get, but when you're world-spanning you really do feel constrained these days.

Austria-Hungary and Germany both ran themselves into the ground via WW1 thanks to terrible Kings/Emperors.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Circumnavigation and treasure fleets are silly and not a big deal (especially the former), but the new exploration mechanics are a really big improvement on the original. If you want to play a game that involves exploration, it's worthwhile.

Gold fleets are a pretty big deal. Mexico will give you 210 gold every two years which comes out to nearly 10 gold a month in income.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Trujillo posted:

I've seen shots where the Ottomans haven't even bothered to take Byzantium by 1500. How can I get those Ottomans?

Not even a single country wants to coalition them. At first I thought it was good that they were ignoring me and going west but at this point I think if I continued all I would be doing is sitting and waiting till they get a mission to take the last crusader bastions and it'd be over.

Attacking Hungary generally doesn't incur much aggressive expansion. The amount of AE you get is modified by three things mainly, the region you're in (like "Italy" or "central europe" there's a map mode for this), the other countries that share the same religion, and the culture group.

Since Hungary is pretty much it's own map region, and it doesn't have any other cultures in its culture group, you just have the base AE from other countries that share it's religion, which is pretty small.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So, I just came across Wiz's post about taking out the 5 monarch point increase per development.

Am I wrong, or is the cost of improving a province going to go from the red line to the blue line? (y-axis is the cost in monarch points to improve the province one more time, whereas the x-axis is the number of times the province has been improved)

This is assuming it started at 0 development which, yeah, is impossible, but makes things easier.

Because if so that's a pretty huge improvement.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I really can't wait for the new patch. I really want to do the one province challenge and see how tall I can go and how big of a vassal swarm I can keep under control without them revolting.

Short term increases to 6 provinces is okay when colonizing the New world provided you turn it into a colony.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Holy crap you can get some crazy development levels by stacking cost reductions in the beta patch.

I cheated myself just so see how low I could get it with a stock country. A free city in the HRE with economic, all the techs, and a university went down to 14 admin (with a starting level development of 17). I got the one province ulm up to 150 development and each additional development level only cost about 60-70 monarch points.

Say hello to kingdom level one province minor in my next run baby.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Personally, the way you're describing AI desires for peace sounds like how a player would play. Which is a good thing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wiz posted:

Just posted the DD about the EU4 design process.

Really weirding me out how you keep referencing yourself in the third person and switching between third and first person plural there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, Florence/Tuscany can now choose to elect a de Medici on election, who doesn't cost RT and has random stats. Awesome. Although he died and I didn't get the option so maybe that's a one time thing I missed out on.

On the paradox forums, one of the scriptors mentioned that he was working on that but wasn't finished with it and didn't do a super good job of reverting it to the way the elections worked before. So either expect it to be properly filled out with 1.13 or totally stripped out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gort posted:

In a situation where a king became king of France and Hungary, wouldn't he just move his court to Paris and effectively it's France ruling Hungary, rather than the other way around?

In Austria-Hungary at least they were two completely separate countries in the same state. A citizen of Austria was not a citizen of Hungary, and you needed a passport to pass between the two countries. Each had their own (mostly powerless) legislatures, but the Archduke/Emperor was the leader of both. It wasn't like Austria ruled over Hungary.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TTBF posted:

I've never used mercenaries except as a desperation thing. I've always been turned off by how much more they cost than normal units to construct, and I've been under the impression they cost more to maintain. Aside from not draining your manpower and being constructed quickly, what are the advantage to using them? I noticed Sweden had a NI that dealt with mercenary maintenance cost and with my less than stellar understanding of mercs that seems like a waste of an NI.

Only use infantry mercs. Since they chew up the vast majority of the losses your manpower pool would incure they can save you tens of thousands of men.

Think of it as turning gold into manpower.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One weird trick diplomats do not want you to know!

Another trick for countries that change your government type when you form them (like Italy). Nothing can change you out of a republican dictatorship, not even forming new countries with their own associated government types.

So if you want to keep that trade republic or ambrosia republic when you form Italy just get your R-Trad down to below 40 watch as you become immune to the gov switch.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 6, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Back To 99 posted:

You need 100% galleys that you can block the Bosporus with and hope the Ottoman army starts trapped in Asia Minor. Don't think any major powers will ally with you until you get big. Oh, and the Ottoman navy is larger than your forcelimit so keep building until you know you will win a naval battle.

Or a better way, sit your navy out in the waters and hope that the ottomans split theirs up. When half or so of their navy ends up on the same province as your navy declare war in hopefully instantly wipe out half of their navy, giving you the naval advantage.

Still though, they're likely to get access from people to go around the black sea. So you really do still need good and powerful allies on the European side of the Bosporus.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

VDay posted:

Something I'd like to see to slightly reduce the impact of coring costs is having the admin efficiency bonuses you get from Admin Tech spread out more throughout the game rather than just kind of given to you in huge chunks in the 1700s. The mid-game feels like much more of a slog than the late game and even early game, where at least nations aren't super developed yet. Just kind of feels like you go from paying hundreds and hundreds of admin any time you take a sizeable chunk of territory to suddenly being able to take 100% warscore worth of provinces and core them all for 300 admin in the span of 50 years (thanks partly to the Imperialism CB as well). I'd be totally fine with the overall bonus capping at 50% if you started getting it in 5-10% chunks in like the early 1600s.

In the 1.13 beta it goes in 20% chunks, starting a lot earlier, and maxing out at 60%.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Poil posted:

I learned about it when I dropped a large army on a fort up in Norway with a low supply limit and couldn't get back away from it and ate attrition like you wouldn't believe

Also in the 1.13 beta, when you're in enemy territory you can't disband units which could leave you unable to relieve horrible attrition in a situation like this.

Wiz, you either gotta fix all the possible situations where you can't move your troops, or bring back the ability to disband troops in enemy territory.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!

Don't forget:
Greyskin
Mingles

Arrhythmia posted:

Okay I get most of those but what does "Blurple" refer to?

It's what DDRJake calls Byzantium.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is the AI supposed to be able to call in allies 5 years after a war has started?

I started a no-cb war with another country to tie up one of the ottoman's allies in a war on my side then started a war against the ottomans. After 5 years I white peaced that one and they immediately joined on the ottoman's side against me.

I checked before I white peaced the other war and I couldn't call my own allies into the war against the ottomans because of the "30 months have already passed"

Can defenders always call in additional allies or is this a bug?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Koramei posted:

Has anyone actually done 3 Mountains since Common Sense? It pretty much seems straight up impossible now.

Someone did it in 1.9 using crazy personal unions.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...chanics.833582/

I don't think personal unions have really changed that much, so it might still be doable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Should I do it?

It's pretty dumb that your government rank drops if you are the emperor and add your capital to the empire.

The emperor should have a max government rank of emperor regardless of whether you are an elector or not.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jsor posted:

Any tips for taking a free city? Friesland has 4 allies (including NorSweDenmark), and being a free city the Palatinate will protect them. I tried declaring war on a smaller ally, but the AE was just too great for just their one province, it would've caused a huge coalition. So it looks like it requires making them a co-belligerent (which should at least keep the Emperor out, right?), but that means I still have to deal with their billion allies. Is it just going to be hoping that by dumb luck some day their allies will all refuse to join?

Keep in mind, people will only join a coalition against you if they are hostile to you. They will (usually) only go hostile if they have negative relations with you which means if you improve relations with folks who will care you can go over 30 AE just fine. Just keep them above 0 relations and everything should be okay.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The wiki mentioned the AI may avoid calling you into war if you're in debt- is that true? And does it just check to see if you have loans or not?

I wonder if it'd keep me out of some of my Allies dumber wars...

The AI uses the same logic that it uses to decide whether to join your wars in whether it will call you into its own. Having low manpower, war exhaustion, truces, royal marriages with the people it's attacking and loans all make it less willing to call you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TTBF posted:

Wiz, I'm guessing this isn't possible but please make it so that when you become a revolutionary republic the date format changes to a revolutionary calendar.

Also make sure you have an event where you execute the person who creates that calendar for +1 stability.

• Locked thread