Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't foresee a learning LP running to 1821 (and I've only had a few games go that long anyhow), but I'd want some continuity between posts explaining concepts. Like it's one thing to do 2-3 mid-length runs (one for Ottomans doing the basics, one for Colonization/Exploration, one for non-Western perspectives?) and another to do a different run for each of half a dozen different concepts. I'd also want to avoid countries that are too one-off/special-event heavy - since most Poland strategy involves feeding and free-integrating Lithuania and dealing with a special government type nobody else has, I'm not sure it's the best starter, for instance.

My DLC concern is that I don't want to do a learning/tutorial LP and have it feel inaccessible to people who didn't buy all the expansions - does it make sense to note where something I'm doing only works with DLC, or would it be better to say "if you had DLC X, you could do Y here"?

Do Ottomans, Brandenburg, and Ethiopia. Basics, followed by a scrappy smaller and European power with a natural expansion route, then the most versatile RotW nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trujillo posted:

Can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to core these or is this a bug?

I have a hunch that it's the blockades (which is ridiculous if true). I was Brandenburg, owned Stolp (Pommerania's eastern-most province) and was trying to take Ostpreussen, couldn't take it because I couldn't core it. The TO was blockading me at the time. Then I guess there was something interesting happening elsewhere, because their fleet left, and I was then able to select Ostpreussen to be ceded in the peace deal.

Jackson Taus posted:

My one concern with playing a Russia game as a tutorial is that I've never played as Russia before. What's the general strategy - take the mission and hit Novgorod first? And then just get a bunch of allies so I can deal with Poland-Lithuania to take all those sweet sweet Orthodox/same-culture-group provinces off of them?

Just look at what Muscovy did historically as a rough guide. You want to attack Novgorod as early as possible. I often wait until the Hordes get embroiled in a war with each other. Then take as much land as you can, making sure that you surround them (meaning nobody else can take land from them during your truce). Poland-Lithuania is strong as balls this time around, so you'll want to be wary about that. If you can get some strong allies, or they get embroiled in a major war, definitely try and pry some provinces off of them because it'll make you much richer, Smolensk in particular is great.

Sweden is much easier to deal with now, because you can just build forts in the northern provinces, scorch earth, and watch their extremely minimal manpower evaporate. I put forts in Narva, Pskov, Novgorod, Olonets and Korelia, which very effectively seals them into the north, and prevents them from aiding their potential allies in the south.

The Hordes are super weak, just watch out for attrition damage, which will sap away at your manpower quickly. You don't want to take too many provinces from them too early (aim to stay above 75% Religious Unity), but definitely feed the Uralic cultured provinces to Perm; they have a core on one already, and they take Religious ideas, so they'll convert them for you. Kazan also has a gold mine province, you'll want to get your hands on that early, and after coring and converting it, get Base Production up to 10 ASAP.

Park your focus on admin points and leave it there for at least 30 years. Take Religious ideas first. It's not necessary by any means, you could get the conversion bonus from Patriarchal authority and decisions, but Religious Ideas are easier, more predictable, and just better in general. Then turn down every single PA event, and collect whatever sweet bonus it gives you instead.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
oh god my one province Frankfurt run is about to blow up, have most of northern Germany as vassals but everyone is just under 300 development at 45% liberty desire. 120 years left to figure out what to do or run at constant war and way over force limit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

Just look at what Muscovy did historically as a rough guide.

Park your focus on admin points and leave it there for at least 30 years. Take Religious ideas first. It's not necessary by any means, you could get the conversion bonus from Patriarchal authority and decisions, but Religious Ideas are easier, more predictable, and just better in general. Then turn down every single PA event, and collect whatever sweet bonus it gives you instead.

I agree with everything you said except for this part. Having high PA is great as long as you can afford it because it's a straight up money for manpower, unrest, and missionary strength trade. Russia will have more money than it needs once you start colonizing Siberia and get those sweet sweet (and random) gold provinces, along with all the trade and production. Even just the unrest bonus from high PA is going to save you more headaches in the long term than that prestige or stab bonus you'll get from turning PA down.

Between the NIs, a full Religious idea set, and 100% PA, Russia basically gets a weaker version of the Humanist idea set for "free".

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Has anyone seen the Manchus take on the Ming recently? I'm planning to actually go all the way in my Persia Game and as of 1630 Manchu has formed but their rivals are Oirat and Korea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nope, but in my Ternate game they're conquering Japan instead. Ming is kinda powerful, and somehow only 0-1 military techs behind France.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant decide what idea to take 4th as the Ottomans. I went Humanist. Diplomatic, then Offensive. I have the Humanist + Diplomatic "Multilingual Diplomats" 1 Dip for -10% Accepted Culture Threshold, +20% Better Relations over time and the Diplomatic + Offensive "The Liberation Act" 1 Adm for -1 Unrest and -5 Years of Separatism. I'm on my way to Vienna so I can Westernize soon while also working my way to India to nab a vassal or two before I am westernized and so I am ready to have All The Trade Companies once I do westernize, but even with a 53% bonus to my AE decay I have been hemmed in my coalitions forming every couple of years (I have often been in wars and cant quickly attack the coalition when it forms and though I am strong, Austria + Poland + Lithuania + Aragon + friends would just be a pain).

That makes me unsure if I should go Admin for the additional coring cost discount, Defensive or Quality (I'm leaning Quality for even more Discipline but Defensive is Real drat Good), Trade to print money because I am only at half my army forcelimits and the Trade + Humanist policy is :eyepop:, Maritime for all its bonuses and to Confirm the Thalassocracy, or wildcard Innovative because it has some amazing policies and decent general bonuses (though I feel it is underpowered at this point compared to Admin, especially if you do not count policy combos).

I'm sure I will be fine with whatever I go with, but I like to get peoples' opinions :v:

edit: at this point I think it has to be Admin because my armies are strong enough and I have had half of my infantry be mercs because I want to save on manpower and it lets me be lazy, and have that grand total bonkers -68% (10% claim, 33% NIs, 25% Admin) coring cost on top of the other admin bonuses just seems too good to pass up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 6, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bort Bortles posted:

I cant decide what idea to take 4th as the Ottomans. I went Humanist. Diplomatic, then Offensive. I have the Humanist + Diplomatic "Multilingual Diplomats" 1 Dip for -10% Accepted Culture Threshold, +20% Better Relations over time and the Diplomatic + Offensive "The Liberation Act" 1 Adm for -1 Unrest and -5 Years of Separatism. I'm on my way to Vienna so I can Westernize soon while also working my way to India to nab a vassal or two before I am westernized and so I am ready to have All The Trade Companies once I do westernize, but even with a 53% bonus to my AE decay I have been hemmed in my coalitions forming every couple of years (I have often been in wars and cant quickly attack the coalition when it forms and though I am strong, Austria + Poland + Lithuania + Aragon + friends would just be a pain).

That makes me unsure if I should go Admin for the additional coring cost discount, Defensive or Quality (I'm leaning Quality for even more Discipline but Defensive is Real drat Good), Trade to print money because I am only at half my army forcelimits and the Trade + Humanist policy is :eyepop:, Maritime for all its bonuses and to Confirm the Thalassocracy, or wildcard Innovative because it has some amazing policies and decent general bonuses (though I feel it is underpowered at this point compared to Admin, especially if you do not count policy combos).

I'm sure I will be fine with whatever I go with, but I like to get peoples' opinions :v:

edit: at this point I think it has to be Admin because my armies are strong enough and I have had half of my infantry be mercs because I want to save on manpower and it lets me be lazy, and have that grand total bonkers -68% (10% claim, 33% NIs, 25% Admin) coring cost on top of the other admin bonuses just seems too good to pass up.

If you go Admin and block yourself off from Africa and Asia with vassals then you get to core every province for around 10 admin.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

aeglus posted:

If you go Admin and block yourself off from Africa and Asia with vassals then you get to core every province for around 10 admin.
Welp that settles it. Just wish I had an easy way to get a colonist to bridge those empty provinces in the Sahara.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

I agree with everything you said except for this part. Having high PA is great as long as you can afford it because it's a straight up money for manpower, unrest, and missionary strength trade. Russia will have more money than it needs once you start colonizing Siberia and get those sweet sweet (and random) gold provinces, along with all the trade and production. Even just the unrest bonus from high PA is going to save you more headaches in the long term than that prestige or stab bonus you'll get from turning PA down.

Between the NIs, a full Religious idea set, and 100% PA, Russia basically gets a weaker version of the Humanist idea set for "free".

I dunno, my 1.13 Muscovy game has largely been an exercise in being starved for cash. Mind you that's because I ignored Pol-Lit in hopes they would form the Commonwealth (as always: nope!) leaving me someone strong to fight; I'm just now beginning to push out into Siberia and Westward, and my income is skyrocketing. I should run the math on where the unrest level would put me, it'd be sweet if the Tolerance of the True Faith and Unrest Bonuses meant I could manually reduce autonomy without issue.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do nations formed by rebels start with 0 ideas?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Man, now that I spent some time pouring over the ideas and their policies I really want to play a game where I take Trade, Humanist, Economic, Quality, and Quantity just for the sheer sillyness of it. (things like -10% idea cost and +0.5 prestige, +20% goods produced, +20% trade efficiency).

I want to do a custom game where I have -10% idea cost NI, then take Humanist, then take the Humanist + Trade policy for -30% idea cost :unsmigghh:

Baron Porkface posted:

Do nations formed by rebels start with 0 ideas?
I believe they start with the average tech level for whatever tech group they are in and automatically have an appropriate amount of ideas selected.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So I'm trying to siege an island fort (not to actually take it, just to keep France from taking it as it's their wargoal against Spain) and suddenly my troops can't walk back onto the transports. Is this WAD and if not how on earth do I get my troops to grasp the concept of 'walk to the beach'?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Obliterati posted:

So I'm trying to siege an island fort (not to actually take it, just to keep France from taking it as it's their wargoal against Spain) and suddenly my troops can't walk back onto the transports. Is this WAD and if not how on earth do I get my troops to grasp the concept of 'walk to the beach'?
Forts zone of control prevents you from moving into nearby zones past them, and sea zones count for that for some reason.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Poil posted:

Forts zone of control prevents you from moving into nearby zones past them, and sea zones count for that for some reason.

Welp there goes my brilliant plan to keep the Spanish warscore up by leaving 1k on their wargoal so's France doesn't take all of Iberia in one go and kill this Albania run!

e: goddamnit I just gave France 25 warscore :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I learned about it when I dropped a large army on a fort up in Norway with a low supply limit and couldn't get back away from it and ate attrition like you wouldn't believe

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Poil posted:

I learned about it when I dropped a large army on a fort up in Norway with a low supply limit and couldn't get back away from it and ate attrition like you wouldn't believe

Also in the 1.13 beta, when you're in enemy territory you can't disband units which could leave you unable to relieve horrible attrition in a situation like this.

Wiz, you either gotta fix all the possible situations where you can't move your troops, or bring back the ability to disband troops in enemy territory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Also in the 1.13 beta, when you're in enemy territory you can't disband units which could leave you unable to relieve horrible attrition in a situation like this.

Wiz, you either gotta fix all the possible situations where you can't move your troops, or bring back the ability to disband troops in enemy territory.
I noticed. So many died earlier today. gently caress all-jungle-provinces nations going defensive ideas. :suicide:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Can someone who's gotten it confirm that you don't need to actually be the leader of the Protestant League to get the Lion of the North achievement? Think I'm going to get the two Sweden achievements for my next game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm watching one of Arumba's campaigns and he keeps consolidating weakened troops before sending them into fights cause apparently that makes them stronger. How does that work?

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Elman posted:

I'm watching one of Arumba's campaigns and he keeps consolidating weakened troops before sending them into fights cause apparently that makes them stronger. How does that work?

Battles are fought on a unit level. If a unit only has ten guys in it it'll still end up on the front fighting opposite an enemy unit. Consolidation has risks - most notably narrowing the front line and risking flanks - but if you've just had a rough battle and are about to be forced into another without any time to replenish, it's a good call.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Elman posted:

I think each square is technically 1000 troops so if a square is less then it is proportionally less powerful. Tooltips upon hovering tend to agree upon this.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Elman posted:

Each unit takes up a square on the combat width board, so if you are chasing a stack down its much better to have a smaller row of full strength 1k units on the front line instead of 500 in the front with some others waiting in reserve. You have to pay attention not to have so few units you get flanked heavily but otherwise it's a good idea. You can shift-click the merge button so you will keep all of the 0 strength regiments around so they reinforce.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah you don't want to send a 400-strength unit up against a fresh opposing 1,000 man regiment, yours will probably get wrecked and routed.

If you can't spare a few months to reinforce, I like to consolidate and hire fresh merc infantry on the front (you can hire mercs in occupied enemy territory).

Edit: as far as I know, regiment strength is functionally equivalent to Discipline. So a 700-man unit is effectively operating at -30% Discipline

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 7, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Well, I just had a failed Holy Trinity run. It started out decently. I no-cbed the Teutonic Order after Poland cut them down, so their total war score was less than 100, and vassalized them. I kept one province, used it to fabricate a claim on the Livonian Order, gave the province back, and then vassalized the LO. I declared war on Venice, who was allied to the Knights, and vassalized them, too. Now I have all three knightly orders as marches, and I planned on building my power base up in Italy before taking on the Ottomans and capturing Jerusalem.

Poland had other plans. Despite myself being allied to France, they rivaled me and wanted the rest of the Teutonic Order's lands. They just declared war, and them + Lithuania + Brandenburg means game over.

How on earth are you supposed to do this achievement, when Poland wants to destroy the TO, and you're too far to be able to do anything about it?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I have a hunch that it's the blockades (which is ridiculous if true).

You're right. Once they moved their ships out of the way I was able to vassalize them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^^^ :negative: ^^^^^

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: as far as I know, regiment strength is functionally equivalent to Discipline. So a 700-man unit is effectively operating at -30% Discipline

I think it would technically be -30% Combat Ability. I don't think undermanned regiments take extra damage, they just dish less of it out.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
In the later game when you have full back row of arty it might not be worth combining infantry stacks unless you are low on manpower. They don't do much damage, you just need a shield in front of your arty.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Node posted:

How on earth are you supposed to do this achievement, when Poland wants to destroy the TO, and you're too far to be able to do anything about it?

Could always push Poland's poo poo in, they seem to collapse and lose Lithuania half the time anyways.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, you need to break the PLC in a Holy Trinity run once you get the vassals. You can handle Poland or Lithuania as the Pope. You cannot handle both, especially when one of which cannot peace out on its own.

e; also, get some beefy alliance, like Austria, and never call them into offensive wars

just keep them to hold the polish off your back

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 7, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:siren: The PLC unrivaled me and are willing to ally me. :siren: They're also the senior partner in a personal union with... Austria. Take that, von Hapsburgs?

I guess they are happy leaving the TO down to one province and breaking the LO in half. I now may have an unexpected ally against the Ottodorks.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Node posted:

:siren: The PLC unrivaled me and are willing to ally me. :siren: They're also the senior partner in a personal union with... Austria. Take that, von Hapsburgs?

I guess they are happy leaving the TO down to one province and breaking the LO in half. I now may have an unexpected ally against the Ottodorks.

something something kebab something something bird mana

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Just finished an ironman game as Austria having formed the HRE. Really highlighted the fact that development is way too cheap. Hitting the final reform gave me a nation with 5000+ total development, which I expanded on a bit before the game ended:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

aeglus posted:

something something kebab something something bird mana

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!

Okay I get most of those but what does "Blurple" refer to?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Prop Wash posted:

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!

Don't forget:
Greyskin
Mingles

Arrhythmia posted:

Okay I get most of those but what does "Blurple" refer to?

It's what DDRJake calls Byzantium.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone know if certain countries are hardcoded to be a certain religion? As the Ottomans I went to great pains to take the Sicilian-cultured Neapolitan-cores from Aragon in time to convert them then release Naples as my vassal in Sicily, to feed the rest of Naples to. However, after all of this effort, I went to release Naples and they were released as a Catholic.

Prop Wash posted:

Paper Mana
Bird Mana
Sword Mana
Baguette
Blurple
Skandenberg
Wrecked
Ottoscum

Sorry for your aneurysm!
:stonk: what in the world is this poo poo?!?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Were Poland and Brandenburg always historical lucky nations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I vaguely remember them having conditions like the Commonwealth and Prussia were lucky after/before certain dates but I thought that Poland and Brandenburg themselves weren't lucky.

• Locked thread