Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Node posted:

POOP LOL

Clearly a cross-promotion with Cities Skylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

To be fair I think the not launching game thing and mod breaking is a pretty serious bug

Yeah, not being able to play the game at all is generally considered a critical bug. I know the workaround now, but there are a lot of people out there who aren't savvy enough to find the answer and simply won't be able to play until it's fixed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Jabarto posted:

I don't know about that, spending 50+ monarch power for +0.8 base tax in a single province sounds like a horrible deal compared to coring even a fairly weak enemy province.

That's 0.8 tax per month, which is a great deal frankly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Beamed posted:

Boy, it's great that I'm not able to launch the game after I bought the DLC. I had really believed Paradox was past their gamebreaking bugs phase, too.

And yes, unable to launch a game is, uh, gamebreaking.

Delete your mods folder and unsubscribe any mods which havn't been updated post-1.12 patch. That'll get you able to play again, at least.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Beamed posted:

Thanks, man.

No problem. I beat my head up against that same problem for a while yesterday.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So in my customised Cuzco game I never saw any "doom" mechanic. I just built up religious authority and passed reformed which triggered some nasty uprisings but other than that no special mechanics. Was this working or did playing as a custom gently caress up some stuff?

Inti doesn't have Doom, it has Authority. Only Nahuatl has Doom.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

reL posted:

For the Master of India achievement, do the Ottomans qualify as a European nation? I presume with their capital being in Europe, and all...

Their starting capital is in Europe so they should.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

The point is, the AI can take a stance of

"Sure I'll help defend you from these other dicks, but no I wont help you take over all your neighbors and become your attack dog."

The player can't. I'd like to be able to have a similar stance, "sure Milan, I'll protect you from Austria, but no, I'm not going to do all the heavy lifting so you can take over all northern Italy."

We should be able to turn down offensive calls to arms without penalty just like the AI. Or let the AI know somehow we are not interested (so it doesn't decide to launch an attack against France thinking we're going to join in an do all the work).

It isn't as uneven as you say. You can choose to call in allies to your offensive wars when they have a red X and they will indeed lose that prestige when they decline the call.

And the player has a choice the AI doesn't: accept the call then do flat nothing to help.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Roadie posted:

Are there any mods that allow the Papal States to become emperor of the HRE?

It would be amusing to be able to form the Even Holier Roman Empire.

I believe that if the Imperial title becomes hereditary, then you vassalize and diplo-annex the Emperor, you become the Emperor. Note that you have to vassalize the Emperor after the title becomes hereditary because before then, if the Emperor becomes a vassal or lesser PU partner the title immediately goes to someone else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

1) Has anyone found a general rule of thumb on when to add development to a province? Not buildings, but adding tax, production, or manpower. As Switzerland, I just feel like I don't ever want to do that. I want to spend it on coring, ideas, or tech, like usual.

2) Is there a way to avoid having the emperor demand you return unlawful territory? I know if you're still at war, he can't do it. Is it affected by opinion, alliances, or something else?

3) France has become a major bitch in this game. They got coalitioned, and had to release 3 nations and give a couple provinces away to Brittany. Western Europe is so different with this patch.

1) I generally only increase development under two circumstances: if I'm capped on monarch points, or if I have a gold province. 1 production development is +1/2 ducat a month on gold provinces.

2) They won't demand from their allies or if they're in a war. Pretty sure that's it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Any nation in Europe (I think it's limited to European nations, anyway) can join either League. The Ottomans historically were in the Protestant League (at least as far as the real world replicates game mechanics) because they wanted to check Austria's power.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

Any more than 4 cav per stack is a waste (and even 4 is pushing it)

You can get full benefit from 6 in the mid game and I think even 8 in the very end of the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

This is basically the same as consoling monarch points since I think Hamburg is the only European nation with RT ideas.

Novgorod and Ireland both have RT ideas, I believe. Also maybe some of the Italian minors?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Xotl posted:

This constant CTD whenever you load a save in the middle of a game is really annoying.

It seems to happen for any game that has been played longer than a few minutes.

Exit to the menu then load the save from there. It takes less time than starting the game up again.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Star posted:

I know that some dislike the removal of unique buildings and from a pure quality of life perspective I agree. But I do feel that it makes sense from a gameplay perspective since it made several idea groups really superfluous and it is silly that you always got at least +1 diplomat and +2 leaders regardless of country. Now there's actually some choice involved.

It was silly that as time goes on and extensive lines of communication and formal war schools sprang up literally everywhere in the world, everyone could spend a lot of money to get +1 diplomat and +2 leaders? Sounds logical to me, not silly.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Trujillo posted:

There probably isn't a mod that does it but you can change it in the defines.lua file in the steam/steamapps/common/eu4/common folder. Open that file with a text program and do a search for:

MAX_IDEA_GROUPS_FROM_SAME_CATEGORY = 0.5

Not sure what you'd change it to exactly, 0 or 1.0 but that's where it is.

Should be 1.0 judging by the wording.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not an HRE expert but if you get that 2nd to last reform it means you're always the emperor plus every member and future member of the HRE becomes a free vassal that doesn't cost you dip relations? Or how does it work?

Yep, pretty much. Actually HRE vassals start being free when the Empire becomes a hereditary title (which is a reform or two before the princes-are-vassals reform), although you have to vassalize them yourself at that point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Why the hell are you vassalizing Kaffa when they have a gold province for you, but have so little development that they won't be able to field an armor larger than 2 or 3. Same goes for Mehri Badhri really. Vassalizing Alodia, giving them their provinces back, feeding them Makuria, then making them a March till you can fight the Mamluks is solid though.

I vassalize the smaller Coptic nations early on since you'll get more troops out of that land as vassals than under direct control and I prefer to take control of the horn of Africa ASAP. That's much easier with vassals helping you out (I usually even vassalize some of the Muslim states rather than conquer them). I also go for Exploration over Religious (actually I don't usually take Religious at all despite the Holy War CB being good as the only Coptic nation) as the first idea group since being able to snag all of south and west Africa and all the Indian Ocean islands is a big help.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's an event which fires after becoming the Netherlands which gives you the choice to stay with your current government or switch to the unique Dutch Republic (which is easily one of the best forms of government in the game). If you're Emperor and have not made the title hereditary, changing to a republican government will cost you the Emperor title. If it's hereditary, you'll keep it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

e: Wait, to clarify: if I pass the hereditary reform as emperor and then switch to a republic I'll still get to keep being emperor?

Unless it was changed in Common Sense, yes. Once the title becomes hereditary, it stays with that nation unless/until that nation is fully annexed by another. I think it might switch to the greater partner in a PU if you somehow manage to enforce a PU on the Emperor, but I'm not sure on that. Otherwise the "hereditary title" part is just flavor text, what it really means is that there are no more votes for Emperor.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Honestly PA isn't that great since it nukes your tax income. The only reason to raise it is to get it to 100% once for In the Name of the Father if you're on Ironman.

-33% tax modifier isn't nearly as big a deal as +2% missionary strength, +33% manpower, and -3 unrest. You almost always want as much PA as you can get your hands on.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

That is one minor thing I'd like to see added, an easier way to view a nation's trust instead of having to look at Offer Vassalization, or open the declare war screen and look at it there.

According to Arumba, Wiz is working to make trust more transparent to the player. He mentioned it in one of his Tac Team episodes in the last couple of days.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It also makes things like recruiting a mercenary to scorch a province just before the invading army gets there have an actual cost.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

But you have to pay to recruit to mercenary and its upkeep till you disband it :confused:

The upkeep is irrelevant since it gets disbanded immediately upon actually finishing recruitment; done right it literally doesn't even stay active for a single day. The monetary cost isn't nearly as big a deal as the war exhaustion, prestige, and war score costs of losing a battle.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Among other things that's before they halved Discipline pretty much across the board. It's also pre-Policies. That's pretty ancient.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It will at the very least be a soul-grinding slog to fight through. Being over 100% OE triggers events which spawn multiple huge armies of rebels all over your country and drastically increase revolt chance in multiple provinces at once, and the events fire very quickly. Taking 143% of OE in a single peace deal will mean you're dealing with that for 3 years. I wouldn't risk it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still waiting for someone to make a mod which adds free reinforcements to the things you can get in the custom nation setup. Even the various "Unlimited Nation Designer!" mods don't do it, which makes me suspect it's just not available to that scripting for some reason.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Humanism only really works with France because of the Edict of Nantes decision. In EU3, if you got your tolerance high enough, your empire would become a patch work of silly religions (think Hindu provinces in the middle of Eurpe), but in EUIV, the religious unity modifier to revolt risk makes it imperative to have everyone be of your religion.

Honestly, the Religious Idea group is far more useful than the humanist one.

You can have 100% religious unity with 0% provinces of your state religion. Tolerance increases unity and at high tolerance it counts the same as a true faith religion.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

Just one exception. If your capital is on the same continent, CNs wont form. So if your capital is in Havana, there wont be a Colonial Mexico, Louisiana, etc.

There's another exception, actually. Provinces with a direct, contiguous chain of owned provinces leading back to your capital also will not form a CN. If you ever have more than 4 disconnected cores in a colonial region on a different continent from your capital, though (for example, a war makes you lose a province which breaks the chain), they'll instantly form CNs and there's no way to get them back.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

I thought that might be the case and I wanted to test it out, but Portugal blocked off the thin part of Mexico so I couldn't try. A united North and South America, with no distant overseas, would be kinda terrifying.

Workin' on it.

(this is just a silly comp stomp custom nation game, not a serious one; the name might be a clue)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Colonists, army morale; attrition, coring cost, manpower, manpower recovery, heavy ship combat, fort maintenance; reduced land attrition.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mygna posted:

Anyone know what happens if I allow the Revolution to succeed while I'm the Emperor of the HRE and have revoked the Privilegia? Because I'd like to try out that event chain, but not if I lose 30+ free vassals in the process.

Last I knew, once the title of Emperor is hereditary, the only way to change the owner of the title is for the previous title owner to be completely annexed. You should keep the title of Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire despite being a republic. That said, if this is an ironman game I wouldn't risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I too would like there to be more limited warfare/border skirmishes. Right now almost every war feels like Napoleon or even Civil War-era total war.

• Locked thread