Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have a load of DLC and did a tutorial and I kinda want to to have chinamerica, is this a good or bad idea for my first serious pop at this? Would also accept japanamerica or koreamerica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xinder posted:

I'd still suggest Portugal or Castile first since the tutorial isn't exactly that great, but if you think you got it figured out you might not have too much trouble as Korea. Japan and Ming are a little wonky for new players so I wouldn't recommend them.

Right. I guess something that's the equivalent of ireland or the soviets would be good, those'd be Portugal or Castille?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

How do I get favours? I was angling to smash the muslim bit of spain as an opening move but my allies all won't help because they have too few favours and I don't want to risk soloing all of north africa.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Oh huh, okay. So I can take Granada and Morocco and all the other places? Morocco has like a 15k stack, Grenada has 7k, I've only got 20k or so overall and I don't know how much their other allies have. Are Spanish troops just much better, or something?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tsyni posted:

Morocco has to get those troops to Iberia to do anything. If your fleets can block them then you don't have to worry about them all at once.

Edit: ^^ yeah

Oooooh.

So do I just assign my botes to the strait for that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Guessing the north african duder's navies are poo poo?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tsyni posted:

Morocco can have a decent navy, actually. If you're against Morocco and Tunis and Grenada then you might have some issues if it's just Castile vs all of them. You can look at navies in the ledger screen.

Hm, it is. What's my game plan here, am I just screwed?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I believe the actual Strait of Gibraltar doesn't count as an inland sea, so Tunis and friends' galleys won't do poo poo.

Oh, poo poo, I was crash-building galleys.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I got a random event that gave me +1% inflation, how bad is that?

Also do I want to spend military MP on wartime taxes now that I'm just sat on Grenada and waiting for warscore to tick up glacially?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I'm now just sat on grenada waiting for them to admit they lost. Periodically something blockades a port and then gives up, but the warscore's now ticking firmly up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I take it I want to spend admin to make these places core ASAP, even though that's going to knock back my research progress quite a lot?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Other questions: How do I lower war exhaustion? Is that worth spending doves on?

How do I give a territory to the clergy? Apparently they've fallen under the amount they want.

What's my peacetime casual buildup, like how I'd be making more factories and researching poo poo in HOI4, or building more garrisons/cities in CK2? More buildings? I really don't know where to go with missions and stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Agnostalgia posted:

War exhaustion will lower naturally when you're at peace, if it's not causing problems don't bother spending the diplo points. Also being defender of the faith or having certain ideas will give you passive war exhaustion decay that happens whether at war or at peace.

I have 0.9 unrest from exhaustion, and the places I annexed are at like 20%, probably because I just killed everyone. What kind of time does that take to go?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

More dumb questions:

I sold condotierri to Savoy, but it turns out I keep control of them, so is there any reason to actual go fight and lose the manpower?

I have a decision to, I think, basically begin the inquisition: My southern states turn catholic but get some nasty looking maluses. If I don't I get religious tolerance. I really don't know enough about religions to know what the smart play is here.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Turns out the condoterri thing is actually super useful! My war exhaustion is still going down and my army stuff keeps going up!

I do notice however that I keep taking tons of casualties compared to Burgundy, who I've been hired to fight; do they have better army org than I do, or something? How can I fix that? Also, how do I get unrestful provinces to chill?

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just discovered province developments. Should I spent doves and parchment on those or research?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 22, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Still appreciated, thanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Steam considers that a valid reason for a refund iirc.

You can't refund DLC.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So, I have a general, and I have significantly (17k vs 11k, 14k vs 10k, 20k vs 12k) more guys than people, I keep losing. I feel like I'm missing some kind of trick with this; often the fight's going great until they're at, say, 10% morale, then theirs slides glacially and mine keeps spiralling down? Is there something that'd be doing that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wilekat posted:

Can anyone explain the rationale behind rebel sizes? Playing a game as Ethiopia, dealing with a lot of rebellions, which is fine. Had one pop in Ajuuraan not long after I finished annexing them and it was... 29k strong.

What.

There are three nations in my little corner of the known world that can field an army that large - myself (39), the Mamluks (42) and the Timurids (34). I can appreciate an army that large appearing via event or disaster, but as a random rebel popup? Really? It's 1496 - random dudes are not going to muster up a professional, well equipped army with a great general out of thin air. The nation of Ajuuraan itself was barely capable of fielding an army a third of that size!

Sorry, little salty and bewildered. I beat them, but I'm having a hard time getting past the fact I had to fight them at all.

Are rebels not really poo poo? I'd assumed that the actual army would be a cut above them and they'd be heavily reliant on numbers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm still kind of fumbling around with this, so, could someone explain to me why "gently caress france" is a thing? I picked up they get strong, but, is there a reason for that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I hosed about with Castille for a while and didn't get a lot of stuff so I'm trying the ottomans on the basis they're apparently good at breaking heads and I like breaking heads. I take it my basic gameplan is to gobble up all the one-two province places pretty much immediately then break through the blue Qara guys to the right so I can start swinging left, right, up and down in succession whenever people get too mad at me for eating all the countries they care about?

EDIT: I take it "100 military power now for +10% manpower forever" is a good trade? Do I need to convert all my non-sunni provinces? Can I make more than one khalifa if I do it now? Aaaa this was meant to be simpler

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 8, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I ate up Bytazynium! :toot:

I managed to get Serbia to peace out and pay me moolah for the privilege then wailed on them until I got to 100%. Didn't quite realise you had to send them the peace offer, but there we are.

All the little islands next to me have joined a trade league; I'm a little nervous about poking that. Also how do naval invasions work in the past?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The Great Horde wants mercs from me but doesn't find any price acceptable. Oddly, they find a price slightly higher than the base offer more acceptable than they do a lower one. :iiam:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there a listing of what aggressive expansion I've got and who cares somewhere that's easy to compare? I'm just comparing how mad people seem to be on their diplomacy pages at the moment and I feel like there has to be a simpler way.

Also is it the case that I only want to take the province I declared war for and slowly nibble away at people? I've just been annexing entire states and I've noticed people don't like me very much.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 8, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

algebra testes posted:

Yeah for example if you're the Ottomans going anywhere but towards a Major European Power you can go hog wild because they're going to be 2 techs behind probably AND not have the manpower AND not have kicking rad Military Ideas if you took them.

Am I really that far ahead of non-euros? I've been nervy about going east/south because the countries there look massive and I've been at war for like ten years and have low manpower.

ATM I can't declare war on anyone anyway because my king died and now I'm a regency. Any way of preventing that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jeez, yeah; I'm two military levels ahead of the Mamluks, one ahead of Qara... How much of a difference does being a military level above make?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I want either a quality or quantity idea first, if I'm not going hog-wild with new world stuff, right? I'm playing as the ottomans and manpower's been a real bottleneck so I'm tempted to go Quantity.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I have a looming disaster (peasant war) coming up; is there anything I can do about that? I got -1 stability from an event, and then had the peasant war thing within a month, and even though my stability's back to +/-0 it keeps ticking up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It took away three stability when it fired, though, and I've been conquering everything constantly so I don't have tons of admin to spend boosting it back up.

Does stability actually do anything? It feels like the game just randomly takes it from you to gently caress with you sometimes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It feels really stupid that having a high manpower cap makes it virtually impossible to avert. This is such a pain in the rear end.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jabor posted:

Recovering manpower takes the same number of months regardless of your cap.

The way to avoid it is by boosting stability to stop it ticking and then not getting into any wars until your manpower is back.

Does it need to be actually positive, then?

EDIT: Ffffffffff yeah, okay. I misread the tooltip, stability less than one, not stability minus one.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 9, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Is there a way to offer peaces to individual states, like how some states sometimes offer you reparations? I can see the "they are negotiating for their alliance" button, but no way to change it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

awesmoe posted:

click their coat of arms on the right hand side of the peace deal screen

And now I own Rhodes and Venice! :toot:

Also I made every sorry bastard there pay me for the privilege of getting wrecked. In keeping with "stuff Paradox games keep teaching me" the concept of war for fun and profit has suddenly clicked.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I had loads of prestige as the Ottos but I just constantly get the event where the clergy want money for stuff and I want to keep my faithlessness.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I'd forgotten how bad the battle RNG is out to gently caress me after not playing for so long.

Love my armies winning handily then suddenly vaporizing over a dozen times but it's long past the point where it's become my fault for not assuming it will happen every time.

So are battles just really swingy? Because I've noticed with my ottomans that I'm generally above or comparable to most other countries with miltech and usually outnumber them but unless I really outnumber them (At least kinda 1.5 times) I lose more often than I feel like I should.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

A picture is worth a thousand words, and the video of me mumbling over the EU4 title screen that I uploaded to YouTube is 60 Hz and 10 minutes long, which is like millions of words! Surely this is more valuable than any written guide, please like and subscribe and leave a comment

The entire internet guide video thing can get hosed, writing is so much easier to reference.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I have Exploration and Quality ideas already (Sunset Invasion Aztecs), what'll make a good Admin idea next since I'm coming up to that slot?

Also is there any penalty for using heavy ships without light ship screens or, if you have the cash, is it just flat better to make heavy ships?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

The last one

Excellent. Time to ram a fuckload of carracks into Castille's face :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Having played this a bit more I'm going back to my idea of an asian run. I remember being warned off China; would Korea or Japan be good to start with? I'm largely just aiming to be a great power, preferably #1 by the game end rather than any specific achievement. What're good groups to go for, early aims? I kinda feel like either admin or exploration are the only real choices for first pick, from reading the thread.

One specific question: I've read about Japan's christianity problem, does that ever go away aside from the close country decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

My past games I've always been strong enough to bully small coalitions of allies on my borders with my opening moves, but Korea's not got the mass to tank a 4-person alliance, so the fact Jianzhou has like four allies is a bit of a problem. What do people do with those kind of situations where you want someone's land but they have loads of friends with countries that aren't the ottomans, castille or aztecs?

EDIT: Or, wait, is this a response to rivalling them? Am I just meant to do a CB-less war without warning so they don't get allies?

Or is this, perhaps, "you're a small country so you can't just rocket out the gate and eat everyone"? :v:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 11, 2017

• Locked thread