Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IRQ posted:

I think that was the whole season preview.

I'm on board with this for one more episode, only because of the reveal at the end that has some minor promise.

But the fact that nobody at any point said "hey android TURN ON THE loving LIGHTS" is going to make me quit this show. I couldn't see a drat thing the entire show. Yes yes, dark matter, spaceships, ultra cheap canadian sets, etc. But this level of bad/non-existent lighting is beyond what I can put up with.

If it wasn't so dark you could see mounties and poutine lurking in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If this is followed in episode 2 by the android flipping a light switch next to a door I will forgive the terrible lighting in the pilot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

I think that was the whole season preview.

I'm on board with this for one more episode, only because of the reveal at the end that has some minor promise.

But the fact that nobody at any point said "hey android TURN ON THE loving LIGHTS" is going to make me quit this show. I couldn't see a drat thing the entire show. Yes yes, dark matter, spaceships, ultra cheap canadian sets, etc. But this level of bad/non-existent lighting is beyond what I can put up with.

Can you screencap your TV? I saw everything OK.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Can you screencap your TV? I saw everything OK.

It's not a good tv (refurbished 8 year old bedroom tv) and I have retina problems, but nothing else is as impenetrably dark. It can be my problem if you like but the show was shot with no light any way you slice it. (and it was to have cheap sets)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I liked it. It's a good space, pew, pew, type of show that fills the SG1 niche.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

It's not a good tv (refurbished 8 year old bedroom tv) and I have retina problems, but nothing else is as impenetrably dark. It can be my problem if you like but the show was shot with no light any way you slice it. (and it was to have cheap sets)

Haahaha "My TV's hosed, and my eyes are hosed... up yours Canadian Sci-Fi! "

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was not good but the promise of David Hewlett will keep me watching.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

wormil posted:

I liked it. It's a good space, pew, pew, type of show that fills the SG1 niche.

This about sums it up for me! It wasn't the best thing I've ever seen but I enjoyed it enough and can't wait for next week! It's so totally cliche and that's okay with me.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Why does the robot android keep closing her eyes to do stuff?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
because the writers think that if there isn't a visual cue the audience is too retarded to know she's doing computer in her brraainn

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
This series is a little like eating a hot dog after the prime rib that is Defiance, but hot dogs can be pretty good sometimes. I liked the naming convention if for no other reasons than it spared me concentrating to learn names. I confess to being only 20 minutes (with commercials) into the first episode. I kind of wish the schedule was different. Dark Matter feels like a show that should be on at 8 or 9, with Defiance, which kind of slams into you like rebar going through a child's skull, should really be on at 10.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

because the writers think that if there isn't a visual cue the audience is too retarded to know she's doing computer in her brraainn

I liked Dorian from Almost Human he was always just spouting off poo poo without any cues, because computers can multi task.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Defiance is prime rib -- hahahahaha. I seriously got a good chuckle from that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EP, creater and writer Joe Mallozzi did some Q&A last night on his blog, and over the next few days:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/june-13-2015-ship-based-sf-has-returned-lets-talk-dark-matter/

Some light spoilers. Go back a few days to see space station, ship and other designs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I liked Dorian from Almost Human he was always just spouting off poo poo without any cues, because computers can multi task.

Maybe if he'd closed his eyes to let us know what was going on that show wouldn't have been cancelled. Makes you you think.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just can't have that much awesome in one police car... it was bound to happen.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Gonz posted:

The internet tells me that Torri Higginson and David Hewlett are upcoming additions to the cast.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

johntfs posted:

This series is a little like eating a hot dog after the prime rib that is Defiance, but hot dogs can be pretty good sometimes. I liked the naming convention if for no other reasons than it spared me concentrating to learn names. I confess to being only 20 minutes (with commercials) into the first episode. I kind of wish the schedule was different. Dark Matter feels like a show that should be on at 8 or 9, with Defiance, which kind of slams into you like rebar going through a child's skull, should really be on at 10.

Defiance being referred to as prime rib is likely the best joke I've heard in the tviv lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

wormil posted:

Defiance is prime rib -- hahahahaha. I seriously got a good chuckle from that.

it's the type of prime rib that's been sitting around at the vegas buffet for 8-10 hours.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've only seen the first season, but Defiance always makes me sad that that's the best they could do with sci-fi/western, which is a concept I don't feel has ever been used to its full potential. Yes, even Firefly.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Snak posted:

Maybe if he'd closed his eyes to let us know what was going on that show wouldn't have been cancelled. Makes you you think.

Aww that cuts deep, I loved that show so much.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've only seen the first season, but Defiance always makes me sad that that's the best they could do with sci-fi/western, which is a concept I don't feel has ever been used to its full potential. Yes, even Firefly.

The Second season gets much better. I really can't reiterate that enough.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Halfway through the episode and the stupid 'close my eyes to do android stuff' thing is already annoying as hell.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

What about Cowboys vs aliens? Seemed very western, lots of the tropes, stuck pretty well to the Western style but had a good amount of sci-fi . Also that Dr. Who episode with the alien bounty hunter was pretty good.

But maybe you're looking for more sci-fi than western? That would be firefly or cowboy bebop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

She should probably just move her eyes back and forth like Data.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

She should probably just move her eyes back and forth like Data.

Not even that much, just a half-second pause or a head tilt or something if you really have to do 'this is showing I'm doing network stuff'.

Show seems pretty by-the-numbers so far but I'll probably give it another episode or two to see where the twist leads.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Why didn't they just bring back SGU if they wanted SGU back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MGM doesn't want anything Stargate back on TV.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Defiance is a sort of mess overall but similar to Vikings ends up being pretty watchable despite all the problems.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

GreenNight posted:

MGM doesn't want anything Stargate back on TV.

Why?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Because

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3773814/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

spookygonk posted:

spoilered image
Ugh, that same dumbshit hyperenthusiastic ADHD face expression as in the other shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Aww that cuts deep, I loved that show so much.

I liked it a lot too. It almost felt like I was getting my Total Recall 2070 fix again. I liked the way they ended it though. No big story, just them going back out on the streets as a team.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Add me to the list of people getting strong SGU vibes off this. A lot of the sets look like repurposed things from that show, but I'd thought they auctioned everything off after they canceled it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

It's exactly what I wanted to see from science fiction genre tv--a rocking good space show in a big, interesting universe like Firefly, early Andromeda, etc. It has enough grit to it being in the Post BSG world of writing and directing to make comparisons to 90s scifi bit disingenuous. And put me in the camp of being someone who unironically likes Defiance, so seeing these original scripted shows on Syfy is awesome in my book.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Oh sweet, I just found out this is a 13 ep series / 1st season. I wish more shows would adopt that model as 10 ep seasons loving suck

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Oh sweet, I just found out this is a 13 ep series / 1st season. I wish more shows would adopt that model as 10 ep seasons loving suck

13ep seasons is pretty standard I thought? I don't know if I've watched a show besides Orphan Black that does 10 ep seasons...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Snak posted:

13ep seasons is pretty standard I thought? I don't know if I've watched a show besides Orphan Black that does 10 ep seasons...

Game of Thrones, Da Vinci's Demons, True Detective, Fargo..

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bango skank posted:

Add me to the list of people getting strong SGU vibes off this. A lot of the sets look like repurposed things from that show, but I'd thought they auctioned everything off after they canceled it.

Everything was made from the ground up. All the SGU stuff has been gone since the show was canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Snak posted:

I thought 13 was a relatively new length? Shows have typically been either 20+ episode monstrosities (BSG, The Office, etc) or short 8-10 ep seasons (re: GreenNight's post).

e: could be wrong. i'm basing 'relatively new' off of most of Netflix's recent original series having 13 episode seasons

• Locked thread