Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So, what is it with all of the guys (including the one who is nothing special and the one who can only hit things a few feet away aka the cramped confines of a ship) going on the away mission while all of the girls (including Kung Fu dual pistols lady and an unstoppable killer robot) staying behind to tend the home front?

And also could those firefight scenes be staged even worse than what we saw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Xtanstic posted:

B-b-b-b-ut.... there's a mysterious box in Dark Matter too! In all seriousness, I'm probably gonna give this show until Rodney McKay shows up before I give up on it.
Killjoys' box introduces the character conflict of whether Dutch will go and murder the gently caress out of someone on her mentor's orders, despite her really not wanting to, and what might happen to shift the calculus of the equation to an unequivocal "Yes".

Dark Matter's box just raises the question "What's in the box?", which is the worst kind of left unanswered science fiction show "mystery".

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Waverider posted:

Good lord that battle at the end of the episode was horrible. Lets all run around pretending to be in the Matrix or something and kill tons of space corp police then they all disappear without making a sound. WTF. What did they spend like $5 on this show? I'll give it a couple more episodes...
The special effects people couldn't even afford squibs, which is the sad part.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

ElCondemn posted:

They had that giant fake laser/whatever gun, why not just shoot lasers all day? It would look better, but I guess since the fake gun was only fired once (seriously, I can't remember it going off more than once) they probably don't have the budget.
It actually looks like its a giant sonic/pulse gun, going by what comes out of it. Mind you, the special effect for that is also terrible (and the effects team can't keep the cylindrical projectile effect consistent from different angles).

Killjoys seems to have a bigger budget for things like that.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Dear lord that ending reveal was horrendously bad.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Kesper North posted:

I think this episode was a significant improvement, but yeah, Killjoys has vastly better writing from the get-go.

Also, the lady who plays Dutch has a voice made of pure silk.
She's also only 25, which surprised me because 35 year old Aaron Ashmore was (convincingly) acting like her younger brother.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

So I'm assuming evil One is the copy, since I doubt they'll make one of the main characters a clone.
One being a clone would explain why he's so boring.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Man, even I can see ways to tighten the frame of the shots, bump up the mixing and make that nightclub way more happening than it looks. Whoever directed this is poo poo-tier.
Amanda Tapping, apparently.

(I haven't watched the episode yet.)

I feel like I remember her doing some good work, so that's unfortunate.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Kesper North posted:

IIRC she's better at more action-oriented stuff. Her Continuum episodes were good; that's all I've seen of her stuff. But Continuum is also a much better show.

I dunno, man, with this episode it feels even more like they're trying really hard to make Firefly 2.0 and without that golden cast, it's just not jelling.
That probably explains why Two's fight scene was so much better than the one in the pilot, although it doesn't excuse why everything else was so bad. On more positive news Melissa O'Neil is getting slightly better at being the Stock Tough Boss Lady. Keeping her the gently caress away from One's squishy feelings is probably for the best.

And I realize that the show needed to double down on worldbuilding after not doing any for the first three episodes, but that's no excuse for how much filler was in this episode.

One is still awful.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

Android is the best character on this show.
That's not a high bar to surmount, though.

The Android is either funny or utterly terrible, depending on the scene. The writing for her is incredibly stilted and awkward, and not in a "robot shaped like a human" way either.

Actually the writing for all of them is incredibly stilted and awkward.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

VBane posted:

I am really enjoying the show myself. Its interesting they introduce the clone travel thing, then immediately invalidate it was an explanation for One because the original would know if he'd ever been so invasively scanned. I like they established Six doesn't have superhealing before establishing Two does. I like they they defy expectation by having Two hook up with rear end in a top hat Three.

I love seeing Joshua from First Wave in a Sci Fi series again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Go watch Continuum. He's also in that and its a much better show.
Yeah, go watch Continuum, where Roger Cross actually gets some halfway decent material to work with and his castmates don't all suck.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Dark Matter: Continuum Season 4 :tinfoil:
The show would be vastly improved if Rachel Nichols et al came and replaced the existing cast. And the writers could come and replace the existing writers, etc etc.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Rachel Nichols definitely has that steely hardass mentality that Melissa O'Neil lacks, not to mention actual chemistry with her male co-stars.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rhyno posted:

I liked her quite a bit but didn't know if she had the chops to front such an ambitious show. Rarely am I so thrilled to have been 100% wrong.
She also turned out to be a total badass, which in retrospect fits because she has actual martial arts training and is pretty built.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
This show is seriously terrible and glacially slow at developing characters. We're still in set up mode, but at this point all we know about Three is that he's not a total rear end in a top hat and can actually love. And he has a vague undefined secret that is being held in reserve for the moment.

Compare to Fancy Lee, from Killjoys. He's also the rear end in a top hat of the show, but in two episodes he has been better developed than Three has in seven. He's a loner, but also sees his self-ostracization as a critical role that he plays for the benefit of his fellows. And we see that he has some degree of compassion in him, as he commits what can only be seen as an act of mercy.

One is the gooniest motherfucker on the ship, and Two is a "Hark A Vagrant" "Strong Female Character". They really are meant for each other, but I'm finding it hard to care.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Space Asian is the worst character on this show.

"I'm gonna be stoic and swing my space swords all over the place GRRRRRRR."
Still not as bad as One.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Killjoys is dedicatedly dull.
Killjoys actually has characters, worldbuilding, and serial plots where things happen.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Dark Matter's greatest weakness is that it really doesn't seem like it can do multiple things in one episode and the pace it sets is glacial. Hence why basic character setting has taken 7/13 episodes and they're still not done yet (since One and Two are still blank slates). At least Killjoys manages to have A, B, and occasionally C plots that all contain serial elements that move the plot along appreciably or flesh out the characters. Like this one, which pushed along a character arc, a setting based serial plot, and made Fancy Lee a far more complex character all at the same time.

The romance between One and Two is such a waste of time. The show needs to "accidentally" space One.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

GreenNight posted:

I'm trying to keep the faith with this show, but yeah some of the characterization bugs me, even if the showrunner defends them to death.
I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Asian Sterotype Guy who hails from Space Japan. All of the characterization is still paper thin or completely nonexistent (for One and Two). Mallozzi is also apparently a fan of terrible relationship/sex stuff, which is why we're stuck with One and Two.

Invalid Validation posted:

Why couldn't the super secret room have super secret stuff? Could have had Dark Matter in it and off we go!
Remember back in the initial episodes where the vault was supposed to have spooky and important stuff in it?

Well, just kidding!

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

So uh, if memory's wiped, why is One getting all teary eyed with revenge?
Shh. Ignore that.

There's the thing: why do any of these people give a drat about what happened to their former selves? They are effectively new people.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The whole CEO thing is just stupid. What kind of idiot CEO undergoes future plastic surgery to personally hunt down the man who killed his wife when he could just hire every bounty hunter in the local star cluster to do it for him? Plus, you know his company stock dropped like a rock on the GSE the minute people found out he was missing.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've caught up with the last 2 weeks of this and Killjoys, and I'm starting to like Killjoys better.
Killjoys definitely has more of a sense of being a coherent TV show with all of the little pieces that make a TV show.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
A Space Japan interstellar empire which outfits its warriors with lamellar armor and katanas straight out of a historical reenactor's closet is some of the dumbest worldbuilding I've ever seen in science fiction, and I'm including David Weber.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Quincyh posted:

Well, never gonna happen, but what is One's problem, anyway? Why is he all "I lost SO MUCH because I was super rich and now I'm stuck on this ship with you assholes"? He's super rich! Just go to the board and do a DNA test in front of them and hey presto, there's your life back. Why is he still on the ship?
Maybe he'll get ousted? History shows that if there's anyone who's more of a dick than a CEO in fiction it's a member of a Board of Directors.

Of course, that hasn't happened yet, so...

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

PaganGoatPants posted:

And Four. He killed like 8 people solo last episode.
Too bad he's still Asian Stereotype Guy.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Dark Matter - STFU One.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

hollylolly posted:

She already benches like 155lbs no sweat. (Yes, I noticed in an earlier episode when she was lifting.) Perhaps not super human strength, but that's pretty drat strong for her size. She throws people around in her fights, but maybe she'll start using it more now that she knows she isn't strictly human? Apparently she isn't as strong as the Android, though.
Although human beings, including unarmored human beings, don't react like they're apparently getting hit by augmented strength punches or kicks when they fight her.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rhyno posted:

One of these shows has Roger Cross and the other shows all suck.
Counterpoint: One of these shows wastes Roger Cross with a nothing character and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I haven't watched since Season 1, but having gotten a glimpse of the latest episode, I'm a little amazed at how Emotion Chip Android, who is an artificial being that only fakes emotions, is far more convincing as a human being than much of the rest of the cast. Lively and snarky is a good look for Zoie Palmer.

• Locked thread