Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
I got in a big fight with my bf yesterday. When we're home smoking weed he thinks it's cool to blow the smoke in our cat's direction. The cat willingly comes up and everything, it's not like my bf is seeking him out or anything. He's a fairly big cat, too, and doesn't seem to mind it, but I still don't like it. I feel like there's probably some health issues with getting a cat high like that. I'm not even sure if it works. Bernie doesn't act any different after he's been smoked out. I still don't like it. Tell me I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

pandaid posted:

is it ok to give children drugs even if they say they want some?

No, because they don't understand the risks and meaning of what they're seeking out.

Don't get your pets high (except for catnip, because that's hilarious, j/k it's well studied with cats and they can find it growing in the wild in the same form)

See, that's what the bf says. He says "you don't have a problem with catnip, so how is this any different?" It's different to me. I'm pretty sure it's not medically okay. He also says that our cat is an adult so it's not the same as giving it to a kid.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

HelloSailorSign posted:

There is extremely little research on THC/marijuana in companion animals. It is known that the metabolism of THC is different, but that's close to it.

While certainly a fair number of people give their pets marijuana, there is no research on long term health effects in pets; behavioral or physical. Anecdotally, some people claim that it has similar effects to that in people, however since most anecdotes are coming from the people who are getting their animals high and looking to prove themselves right, I consider that evidence to be... suspect.

As cats quite commonly get asthmatic and respiratory disease, and commonly associated with airborne particulates (smoke, dust, fragrances), I would recommend against providing additional irritation.

Dogs like drinking anti-freeze, does that mean we should let them?

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I tried to Google it, but the links are mostly stoners talking about getting their pets high. I know my boyfriend is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he gives me a place to live and he's wealthy and good in bed so :shrug: I don't want him to make our cat sick though.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

HelloSailorSign posted:

Most of my anecdotal experience lies with dogs, as most cats are not stupid enough to eat whatever they find on the ground on outside walks (maybe if they had more outside walks they would?).

In cats, the anecdotal reports I've heard is that they can get super calm or super agitated, but that previous response may or may not predict future response.

Basically, if your boyfriend wants to have stoned bonding sessions with your cat, tell him to get a store of cat nip so the two of them can partake in their own special kind of high together.

It's more of a spur of the moment thing with him. We talked about it again and he says he won't do it anymore though, so thanks everyone.

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Grandmother of Five posted:

What did your bf say was good about blowing the weed smoke in your cat's face?

He thinks it's funny :negative:

• Locked thread