Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Vitamin P posted:

Why would Hopkins design the robots to have it in their body, and certainly why would the other engineers?

There's no evidence that the maze image is in every android scalp, just Kissy so far. I think it's an Easter egg and part of a combination of odd and rare items required to open up the secret door or whatever Ed Harris is looking for. Like putting a bunch of weird rare items in the Horadric Cube to open a portal to Tristram where you fight Diablo and a bunch of big bosses to get mad loot and XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e: nevermind, I'm a dumb, great show though!

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 9, 2016

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

McSpanky posted:

Wow, this is turning into an "I acquit" all over again. She TELLS HIM SHE'S A HOST in the very same scene, as she's offering herself to him she says "all our hosts are here for you, myself included". I can't believe nobody else remembers this in this entire conversation. I'd wager her previous comment combined with that one is supposed to be a one-two punch of :aaa: to get the guests immersed in the verisimilitude of the experience but whatever the purpose, you know what she is by the end of the sequence.

He thinks we're talking about the host that tries to sleep with him once he's already in the game and he's at the saloon/brothel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IMB posted:

He thinks we're talking about the host that tries to sleep with him once he's already in the game and he's at the saloon/brothel.

I just realized that, I terribly interpreted someone else's words in the act of correcting them :hurr:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 9, 2016

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

McSpanky posted:

I just realized that, I terribly interpreted someone else's words in the act of correcting them :hurr:

Well to be fair, he terribly interpreted the discussion first, so its only fair

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I wonder if they are going to have any other worlds like in the movie. Probably not because it cant accommodate the budget but just imagine every season being in a different world.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Wizgot posted:

I wonder if they are going to have any other worlds like in the movie. Probably not because it cant accommodate the budget but just imagine every season being in a different world.

Supposedly the creators have five or six seasons mapped out. With that length of time to work with, I could easily see it happening. Which would be pretty great honestly; how fun would Roman and Medieval world going cuckoo be?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Did they explain how they stopped swords from hurting guests in the movie?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I don't see the show switching worlds - all the characters we are connecting to and rooting for are westworld hosts.

Most people would tune into season 2 and go "where's Dolores" and then tune back out.

Unless they have us start connecting to the guests or the managers, which so far doesn't seem likely since they are supposed to be the shows villans.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

Romanworld = orgies = higher ratings. Whenever their are boobs on TV it seems more people tend to watch the show. I can see HBO going in this direction.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lechtansi posted:

I don't see the show switching worlds - all the characters we are connecting to and rooting for are westworld hosts.

Most people would tune into season 2 and go "where's Dolores" and then tune back out.

Unless they have us start connecting to the guests or the managers, which so far doesn't seem likely since they are supposed to be the shows villans.

I don't speculate 'switching worlds' happening, so much as the characters/worlds spreading out and merging somehow.

The alternative would be 5 or 6 planned season taking place entirely in Westworld, which seems hard to pull off in a way that sustains interest. At a minimum, I think it would have to spread to more of the outside world, which would also be pretty cool. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wizgot posted:

Romanworld = orgies = higher ratings. Whenever their are boobs on TV it seems more people tend to watch the show. I can see HBO going in this direction.

If HBO's history is any indication, Medievalworld is way more popular than Romeworld AND Westworld, neither of which had as many boobs and both of which never made it past a third season.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Obviously they'll bust out Medievalworld once GoT is off the air :thumbsup:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wizgot posted:

Sorry Spartacus already got that covered.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Obviously they'll bust out Medievalworld once GoT is off the air :thumbsup:

Do Medievalworld but re-use the entire GOT cast

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Megaspel posted:

In Marvel comics there's a thing called the 'Marvel No-Prize" award, which is a fake award given to readers who can explain why a continuity error isn't an error at all. Any fictional world is created by a human who can make errors, but that only really matters when they make a lot of them to the point where it's unenjoyable, but I find if you can give them the benefit of the doubt, you can usually, without too much effort, think of reasons why it works with their rule set, and they usually leave enough unsaid wiggle room to let you do that. I think I just tend to prefer shows when I work with them rather than against them.

Counterpoint: Kessel Run

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Digiwizzard posted:

It's redundant to ask whether the first host McPoyle meets is an exploited human or an exploited android because they're basically the same thing. The recurring theme of Westworld is that it's a place where all crime becomes legal if you are Rich, and where the people inside are fleshy toys that are forced to submit to your every whim. In this way, it's merely the same exploited foxconn workers and trafficked sex slaves dressed up in expensive cosplay.

itt robots are the same as actual human slaves.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

etalian posted:

Do Medievalworld but re-use the entire GOT cast

You are a genius.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
HBO had Rome and they killed it.

gently caress them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

itt robots are the same as actual human slaves.

Deciding whether this is true is the premise of the show, yes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think it's pretty much intentional that the actual humans on the show seem to be pretty miserable broken people compared to the hosts.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

etalian posted:

I think it's pretty much intentional that the actual humans on the show seem to be pretty miserable broken people compared to the hosts.

You mean that the managers are humans with complex lives and the hosts have simple lives that reset every two weeks? Sounds about right.

I love that this show has a strong enough philosophical foundation that a lot of speculation can happen.

For example, I wonder if the managers know that God mode creates a very short and unchallenging experience - you can only kill and gently caress for so long. That's why they want more of an ARG to hook the customers long term (ie ed Harris)

I also appreciate that the new black hat guest had two hosts to welcome him, male and female. And then when he's having sex in the brothel he has both men and women there. I love seeing queer characters on tv.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

For example, I wonder if the managers know that God mode creates a very short and unchallenging experience - you can only kill and gently caress for so long. That's why they want more of an ARG to hook the customers long term (ie ed Harris)

I want to see the storylines the park has. There is a lot more than killing and loving. Lots of adventures, treasure hunts, etc. I'd appreciate some one-off episodes with side characters and fantastic writing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Rename the thread title to "What size are those boots ?" please.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammerstein posted:

Rename the thread title to "What size are those boots ?" please.

Ford voice: NOoo

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did they explain how they stopped swords from hurting guests in the movie?

In the movie, besides the 'logic circuit', when a guest is going to fight the Black Knight they have staff that monitors and adjusts the host. First they uploaded a weakness (weak on his right side due to poor eyesight) but during the fight they attempted to reduce the robots strength and so on. Unfortunately when things go wrong the swords were real and the guest got slashed and stabbed.

I'm liking the idea that Peter Martin, the westworld survivor that defeated the movie's gunslinger, is the Man in Black. In the last episode the staff said he could have anything he wants, which would be an interesting out-of-court settlement where MiB is offered to stay as long and often as he wishes and since hes been there so much they set up events for him to keep him entertained.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Blackchamber posted:

In the movie, besides the 'logic circuit', when a guest is going to fight the Black Knight they have staff that monitors and adjusts the host. First they uploaded a weakness (weak on his right side due to poor eyesight) but during the fight they attempted to reduce the robots strength and so on. Unfortunately when things go wrong the swords were real and the guest got slashed and stabbed.

How about arrows can you explain them too?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How about this ?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trick arrows, duh

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

IMB posted:

Um no. She literally says "I am a host, I have to do what you want."

Yes, And my phone literally says "you have a phone call from Father", and it says that even if somebody else is calling from his phone. Hosts are just machines with a script generated response.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Have all the hosts programmed to always miss guests?

Accidental hits would fall under the liability waiver the guests have to sign before entering MedievalWorld.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I hope HBO give blacklivesmatter credit where credit is due. The way guests treat the hosts is so obviously an allegory for the way cops treat black people. But probably not as HBO makes the one black character in the show a hooker rather than an hero. I'm pretty disgusted with how they've handled the race issue so far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gladi posted:

Hosts are just machines with a script generated response.

Yes and no; they have scripted responses to a finite (yet very large) number of things to respond to, but they also seem to have cognition with which to "improvise". Like when Mr. Abernathy found the photograph, he says things like "Have you ever seen any place like this before?", which couldn't have possibly been in his script.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I hope HBO give blacklivesmatter credit where credit is due. The way guests treat the hosts is so obviously an allegory for the way cops treat black people. But probably not as HBO makes the one black character in the show a hooker rather than an hero. I'm pretty disgusted with how they've handled the race issue so far.

I wondered if they wouldn't confront the issue of race by having black or chinese guests walk through a simulation of history that has clearly erased all traces of racism from its setting along with making everyone in the simulation white. It seems like part of the casual grotestqueness baked into the idea of having a wild west theme park.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

I wondered if they wouldn't confront the issue of race by having black or chinese guests walk through a simulation of history that has clearly erased all traces of racism from its setting along with making everyone in the simulation white. It seems like part of the casual grotestqueness baked into the idea of having a wild west theme park.

They had some asians guests(or hosts) in a few scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is such a original interpretation on the show.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

I don't claim to know the racial background of everyone but doesn't Bernard seem to be black and seem to be a pretty smart dude who seems to be in charge of programming robots?

I mean, the Wild West was racial diverse but I'd say we've seen a good number of Native Americans, black people, and latinos in our short time there. And what female character in the park isn't a hooker other than Dolores? I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot of Indians at war, women as hookers, etc. not necessarily because that's what you expect in a Western but because that's what the makers of WestWorld the amusement park at least think that rich people want. Give it some time to subvert that, at least.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

This thread went from like five of us wondering why no one else was interested in watching this show (have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?) to so many of you posting that I spend more time reading this thread than watching Westworld. Pumped for episode 2.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mills posted:

This thread went from like five of us wondering why no one else was interested in watching this show (have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?) to so many of you posting that I spend more time reading this thread than watching Westworld. Pumped for episode 2.

HBO put it up on go/now. You are free to watch whenever you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

I also appreciate that the new black hat guest had two hosts to welcome him, male and female. And then when he's having sex in the brothel he has both men and women there. I love seeing queer characters on tv.

Eh, I got such a strong 'evil slutty bisexual' vibe from that.

• Locked thread