Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

I want to see more of how the human characters react to the hosts, because if they do realize they're self aware than they must realize they've created the worst form of slavery , and they've done it in a totally isolated location where the humans are heavily outnumbered by the androids.

It reminds of the Haitian revolution and I'm really interested to see how Dolores plays into that, since she's still idealistic after enduring decades of the most brutal and traumatic experiences people can go through. My crazy idea for the season is that she turns out to be an android revolutionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm finding it hard to get into this one for some reason - I'm going to stick with it for at least a few more episodes because HBO is usually solid, but something about it just doesn't quite work for me.

I want it publicly known that I agree with this person.

It's a wonderful premise, but without the correct, "Hook", I will turn this poo poo off and never look back.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

meristem posted:

The parents did say that they were in the PG-13 area.

Yeah, the dad was saying "we should stay on this side of the river- the other side is an adult zone" or something along those lines. And when we first hear a guest on the train he's saying he came first with his family and they camped and fished and stuff, then when he came back alone he went straight evil for two weeks.

So there's definitely a more PG rated experience available.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

hollylolly posted:

Yeah, the dad was saying "we should stay on this side of the river- the other side is an adult zone" or something along those lines. And when we first hear a guest on the train he's saying he came first with his family and they camped and fished and stuff, then when he came back alone he went straight evil for two weeks.

No-one makes eye contact when they cross that bridge.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

hollylolly posted:

The site for this place flat out explains it. Town is ** while the rest is, at the moment, unknown.

I'm guessing Indian attack is a level ***

While a "HOLY gently caress, poo poo is going down" is a level *****

In accordance with Deadlands.

Because my dick is super loving hard for Deadlands.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ghetto Prince posted:

My crazy idea for the season is that she turns out to be an android revolutionary.

My crazy idea is that she is an android prophet.

It's meaty sci-fi to take on robot spirituality, and Dolores (Latin, for sorrowful) is an outstanding example. Her belief that she chooses to see beauty is the most pivotal tension I'm enjoying. And what will be beautiful when it's time for reckoning?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

insider posted:

Yea that's exactly what I thought. They play popular songs just in an old timey way as no one actually wants to listen to 1800s piano music.

Whoa now, I'd go to an old timey Western bar and listen to someone play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmruHc4S9Q

(I know the Entertainer was early 1900s but still)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

insider posted:

The Man in Black (Ed Harris) is in my opinion the survivor from the original movie.

This crossed my mind as well! I don't think it'd be good idea by any means, but it would be a cool way to connect the show with the movie. I can already see Ed Harris walking into the decrepit, abandoned town from the movie then hunkering down to say "Hi" to Josh Brolin's skeleton dad (by the way, a character we haven't met yet, Logan, looks eerily similar to James Brolin- it also looks like both he and Jimmi Simpson's characters fall into the same roles as the main characters from the movie).

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Phi230 posted:

Also best evidence:

"You're all in a prison of your own sins!"

literally Inferno and I guess Purgatorio

And the circles of light above the robots when they are being examined. Like their own special circle of hell where they are interrogated for their failings, or a halo as staff try to 'perfect' them.

Zaphod42 posted:

My guess is that Ed Harris is trying to prove the sentience, or potential for sentience, of host machines. So he's intentionally pushing them and trying to trigger them to remember, through violent memories. He's also taking them apart and trying to learn from them.

That or he's just lost his marbles and he's digging at conspiracy theory.

That or Anthony Hopkins hid clues within the game as part of a Willy Wonky style experiment to pick a successor.

The image he found engraved onto the scalp of the robot he tortured we've also seen carved onto the dominos board and

seems the biggest clue but it's weird as hell. Why would Hopkins design the robots to have it in their body, and certainly why would the other engineers?

To me it looks like a brain, also like circuitry, with a person in the centre. Which would suggest that inside the artificial minds there is still a soul, that the robots are people too. But it could also be seen as a maze, a prison/labyrinth that a person is trapped inside of with the implication that with enough thought and work they could escape. Both make sense in the narrative but they seem a bit on the nose.

Certainly I think they are a memetic symbol, a recurring image the robots could use to communicate between 'lives'.

JossiRossi posted:

Lots of assumptions, but assume that overview map is the whole park, there were a couple mountains in there, and the pull back from the train to show the overview was pretty far back. When they showed the main town it had to blow it up to a visible size to get an idea what was going on. There could definitely be several settlements all doing their own thing, while still being interconnected by trains and supply transports and the like.

Keep in mind the guests have to go home each evening, so the playable area can't be that large. Although I'm completely assuming that there's only one entrance/exit.

Kill Dozed
Feb 13, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Keep in mind the guests have to go home each evening, so the playable area can't be that large. Although I'm completely assuming that there's only one entrance/exit.

I was wondering about this. When the one guest says going evil was "the best two weeks of his life," does that mean he left the park and came back each day? Or did he actually stay in the park for those two weeks? Also, the bank robbery being an excuse to remove some robots only makes sense if the park doesn't close. Otherwise, they would just switch them out during off-hours.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
e: ^^^ I assumed that each 'trip' to Westworld is more than a day. They talk about cycles, they talk about Hector coming to town a week early, and the guy talking about 'best two weeks of his life' makes me think that you book a trip for two weeks, which is one cycle, and then everything gets rebooted. The show advances through cycles pretty quickly and the first episode covers a couple of months of real time.

For anyone who likes the AI and sentience themes there's an awesome British series called Humans that covers a lot of similar ground, and might be where the Westworld storyline is heading (or it could be going in a wholly different direction)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kill Dozed posted:

I was wondering about this. When the one guest says going evil was "the best two weeks of his life," does that mean he left the park and came back each day? Or did he actually stay in the park for those two weeks? Also, the bank robbery being an excuse to remove some robots only makes sense if the park doesn't close. Otherwise, they would just switch them out during off-hours.

The man in black spent all night out in the desert and nobody seemed to give a poo poo, so I doubt the guests have to leave.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I must have misinterpreted it, two week cycles makes a lot more sense in terms of cleaning up the town each time too.

Two weeks is a long time though, by the middle of each cycle the storylines must be in absolute tatters with a few Full Evil guests wandering around.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The cost of visiting Westworld starts at $40,000 per day, so visiting for 2 weeks is pretty expensive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I suppose it depends on inflation.

According to the internet, $100 in 1900 is the equivalent to $2,689.50 in 2016.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
If you visit the discoverwestworld.com site, you can "book" a stay for multiple days (it tells you to contact a Host for more info), and the chatbot talks about how nice the hotel accommodations are.

It also has some chatter about the fine dining and top shelf liquors, so I guess it's Disney-like in that you can go visit the theme park but also stay in a themed resort the whole time as well. Perhaps the train ride is just between the hotels and all the different "towns" you can experience.

Nashlogic
Oct 22, 2010
In defense of the VR theory I honestly thought at first that they were shrinking people down and the map room was the actual world. So VR is way less retarded than what I thought was going on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

vonnegutt posted:

If you visit the discoverwestworld.com site, you can "book" a stay for multiple days (it tells you to contact a Host for more info), and the chatbot talks about how nice the hotel accommodations are.

It also has some chatter about the fine dining and top shelf liquors, so I guess it's Disney-like in that you can go visit the theme park but also stay in a themed resort the whole time as well. Perhaps the train ride is just between the hotels and all the different "towns" you can experience.

The preview had a brief shot of a super-futuristic subway/train.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That brings you to the park, replacing the hovercraft from the movie. That train wouldn't come into the 'game area' I'd imagine, just to the staging point where you get your costumes and instructions.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Based on the previews: We're going to see someone entering the park in the next episode or so, and maybe meat our main guest non-rear end in a top hat character?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The conversation between Bernard and Ford indicates that (at least at some level) humanity has progressed to post-scarcity levels of existence. We don't know if everyone has that luxury, or if it's just a slight percentage of humans while everyone else lives in squalor, but I think that getting an answer to that will prove to be important to the plot.

In the movie there were also a number of other ****worlds. I think one of the lead protagonists mentions a Roman world at some point. We might even get to see a droid from Roman world? It's been a long time. I'm wondering if they're going to explore those other worlds in the TV series.

Anyway, I really wish this was a delimited series instead of something that might go on indefinitely. It would be nice to see a complete arc over 2 or 3 seasons, instead of them having a situation where they can't ever really resolve a central conflict due to the economic structure of the show.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

hollylolly posted:

I can just imagine the following scene: a family with older kids camping on the PG side, then the kids get up in the middle of the night and sneak on over to the adult side and see what's going on.

Also maybe it was obvious to everyone else, but I like how you see the image of the Vitruvian Man in the robots being dipped into the tank. Ties back nicely to the discussion about the perfection of their creation and all that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghetto Prince posted:

I want to see more of how the human characters react to the hosts, because if they do realize they're self aware than they must realize they've created the worst form of slavery , and they've done it in a totally isolated location where the humans are heavily outnumbered by the androids.

It reminds of the Haitian revolution and I'm really interested to see how Dolores plays into that, since she's still idealistic after enduring decades of the most brutal and traumatic experiences people can go through. My crazy idea for the season is that she turns out to be an android revolutionary.

José Dolores is a slave who leads a revolt in Gillo Pontecorvo's Burn!, a movie totally not about the Haitian revolution.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drunkill posted:

The cost of visiting Westworld starts at $40,000 per day, so visiting for 2 weeks is pretty expensive.

Hmm yes, Wells Fargo, I would like to finance my depraved trip to live in a Libertarian dreamworld where I can exert my will upon slaves

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

sector_corrector posted:

Anyway, I really wish this was a delimited series instead of something that might go on indefinitely. It would be nice to see a complete arc over 2 or 3 seasons, instead of them having a situation where they can't ever really resolve a central conflict due to the economic structure of the show.

They have a 5 season plan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to the time thing, I could see them "resetting" people and events each day if no guests interact with them. That way guests will always come in at the start of a story arc instead of just showing up for the end.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Delores, or someone, is definitely going to lead some sort of uprising at least that what I think based off of them going out of their way to explain the Judas steer in herd at the beginning.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There are 1400 guests and only 1 Dolores, who is their most popular storyline. This really doesn't seem likely.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Collateral posted:

There are 1400 guests and only 1 Dolores, who is their most popular storyline. This really doesn't seem likely.

Not sure where you are getting this. They say Dolores is their oldest Host, having been upgraded and repaired for 30 years, but that doesn't mean she's the center of attention the whole time. In fact it seems if no one interferes she'll often die early on with her father and boyfriend.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I hope Caesar bot emerges from storage pissed about stabbed 10,000 times

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
and also that one of the other towns is Deadwood

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I recognize those 2 actors in the Whorehouse that Teddy was sitting outside of. They must be at least secondary characters.

I think the new guy we saw in the preview might be our "main" character. Is it Jim Sturgess? Looked familiar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jimmi Simpson.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
After thinking about it a little more, I think the parts I found the most evocative was the part where there is a hint of them being able to understand the terrifying situation they're actually in. Obviously the part where the dad is talking about the horrible things he has to protect his daughter from, but also when the dudebros were talking about using James Marsden for target practice if they get bored out in the canyon, and when Doloros looks for James Marsden in the street but doesn't see him (gets Ed Harris in stead, yikes). It's tiny details, but those scenes were eerily, subtlety and convincingly acted I thought (not so subtlety in robo-dads case maybe).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The dude in the preview is Jimmi Simpson

Edit: Curses!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

The dude in the preview is Jimmi Simpson

Edit: Curses!

Does Liam get to have some milk???

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Untagged posted:

On the second watch caught head programmer was looking at a picture of a child (his son?) during the diagnostic of the sheriff host. Raises the question about his answer of no to having kids at home.

Good catch. He probably had a son who died, and maybe even got into programming robots as some kind of attempt to re-create his son.

Anthony Hopkins also mentioned the idea of cheating death and bringing people back...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Phi230 posted:

José Dolores is a slave who leads a revolt in Gillo Pontecorvo's Burn!, a movie totally not about the Haitian revolution.

"Freedom is earned not received."

Fantastic movie and I hadn't noticed the similarity in names. I wonder if Ed Harris is William Walker?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

vonnegutt posted:

At least in the movie, the two main characters stayed in a boarding house accommodation on-site run by a host. I'm guessing next week they'll show new guests coming to the park and see what housing set-ups are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sector_corrector posted:

In the movie there were also a number of other ****worlds. I think one of the lead protagonists mentions a Roman world at some point. We might even get to see a droid from Roman world? It's been a long time. I'm wondering if they're going to explore those other worlds in the TV series.

Yeah I was really hoping we'd see other words, although it being called "Westworld" does make it seem like the western setting is going to be the major focus, and it'd be very expensive to produce period-clothing and everything for several different worlds.

I'd love to see a sneak peek at RomanWorld or something else though, there's so many possibilities.

Also I was saying to a friend of mine that Westworld reminds me of Jurassic Park and apparently the original movie was written by John Crichton? Of course it was.

• Locked thread