Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder why the feet are slack like that. The Vitruvian man is well planted on his feet in the circle.

Maeve sees two Asian women hosts slumped in one of the tanks on her tour.

It might be because vitruvian man's proportions are actually slightly off. Anatomically correct human might not fit into the circle quite right. Or maybe it's because this is just an inert body - V-man's stance is kind of active and would require conscious muscle control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Also hygiene. Can you imagine how bad people's teeth were in the 1880s?

Not really that bad. Yes, if you broke or lost a tooth it was probably hard to get it repaired, but the black rotten teeth we imagine everyone in the past having only happens in cultures with excessive sugar consumption. Hardly anyone in the wild west would have been rich enough to do that, and the few people who were still probably couldn't import sugar in large quantities easily. If that seems strange to you, just look at NatGeo pictures of traditional cultures today - lots of beautiful white teeth.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

Tooth whiteness is also genetic.

Within a range, nobody has genetically black "I'm in a period piece and the director is really into body horror" teeth.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And there was the one guest who mentioned something about MiB's charity saving his sister's life. You generally don't find charities if an entire population is living in luxury.

He said "foundation," which could mean anything. But the butchers' anxiety about losing their jobs hints to me that this isn't a post-scarcity world. And iirc the show's creators said that the show takes place in the 21st century

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

El Jeffe posted:

I'll give it back in exchange for any rare theories you have.

Westworld is actually super-advanced aliens loving with the actual wild west

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Remember when Ford shows Bernard the photo of Arnold? Except the man in the photo looks exactly the same as Ford's alleged host version of his own father? And the photo seems purposely framed as if there would be a third person standing beside Ford and Arnold, but that space is empty? And we're seeing the photo from Bernard's perspective? Almost like he can't see something that should be there?

And then remember Dolores's reaction when she sees the photo of the girl? Like she's not seeing anything at all?

I don't exactly know what, if anything, to make of this, but it feels mysteriously significant. I've heard theories that Bernard is a host or that he's Arnold, but what about Dolores? Could it have been a photo of her that she couldn't process? Was Dolores a human at one time before becoming a host???

Dolores's reaction "that doesn't look like anything to me" seems like a generic host response they'd build in to handle anything out of character the guests say. If there's really a third person in the photo that Bernard can't see that seems like it would be on a whole other level.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

rich thick and creamy posted:

Ford is the man in the middle of the maze. He's the last human and has surrounded himself with his creations spinning them around in his looping narratives. Over several iterations he has developed a variety of sets of what he feels are winning combinations of characteristics for a host to move into consciousness. He's starting to put more of his thumb on the scale now since he's not sure how much time he has left. It has become his obsession since otherwise he'll just die quietly and the whole stupid loop will persist without a hand to guide it. Forever.

Honestly if it's that I'm not coming back next season. If there are no humans in this story then I don't care about this story.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm just economically distressed.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

splifyphus posted:

Yeah, it's a problem. As soon as you start thinking about how MMOs work and the sheer logistical nightmare of a real-time 'real' multiplayer version of Red Dead Redemption the whole show starts to fall apart. You can't have instanced quests or raids in the real world, quests would be forever getting hosed up by random NPC deaths and bad players. You also wouldn't be able to reset quests without sending staffers out into the park and risking breaking the immersion of the guests or shutting the whole thing down for a 'server' reset. There's just no way you could have 100s of guests running amok in something of this scale without it turning into a bot bloodbath ending in a game of paintball between the guests over a pile of rubble and corpses after a couple of days.

I guess if the bots are smart enough they will actually be repairing/building the park as they go, but there's still no way you could ever have something like this be big enough for more than a few guests at a time, and you'd still have to shut down to reset sometimes. The show pays no attention to any of the logistical poo poo - I mean c'mon, the edges of the park are a 'war' that nobody's ever gotten too or seen, seriously? Like Ford's just got a neverending AI battle royale going on in a giant circle just in case a guest goes on a hike for too long in one direction?

The whole setting would work a lot better if it were rewritten as some kind of VR world rather than this ridiculously improbable analog scenario.

Yeah I'm not a gamer but even I know enough about how people play immersive MMOs that that whole aspect of the show rings false. Where are the griefers? Players like The Man in Black are essentially hyper-serious LARPer dorks. It would be irresistable to gently caress with a guy like that, and as easy as just breaking character around him. If the park's been around for 30+ years surely some players would have figured out how to gently caress up loops like the woodcutter's absence did, and spread how-to guides online like all the obsessive Disney people do right now. Buzzfeed would be wall-to-wall Westworld "hacks" and dubious easter eggs.

And don't a huge percentage of MMO players just wander around collecting items and building their virtual houses anyway? I would think getting your own homestead to play with in Westworld would have a huge appeal for a lot of people. For every MiB there should be 10 guys staggering around wearing huge backpacks and collecting arrowheads and poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

splifyphus posted:

I honestly don't think something like this would ever work - just like video games, the more realistic something looks the more the flaws are noticeable. The more realistic Westworld gets the more you'd just see all the cracks, the more you'd be able able to do in it the more you'd notice the things you couldn't do and would never be able to do.

Which would be really interesting to see if they were telling that story. They hinted at it with like one line from MiB, but that's it.

Gay Horney posted:

Pretty much anybody with any loving manners, aka 99% of the people you interact with in the real world, are not going to gently caress with you and when they do you resolve it and move on

I'm not talking about people screaming "FAG" over and over again or whatever you guys do on xbox. There are plenty of perfectly polite, decorous ways to mess with somebody taking himself and his make-believe game as seriously as MiB does that would be much more fun than the game itself. We've seen how Logan acts, too cool to be playing along the way the game wants, and he's only been there a few times before at the most. If you run into MiB in his role as an outlaw and you're doing a sherrif's deputy quest, just refusing to act like an NPC would probably be enough to make him twitch.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

R-Type posted:

For that matter aside from park maintenance or management I don't think I've seen a single guest with a piece of technology that isn't specific to the time period. Not even a digital watch. We have people in this time that can't go anywhere, be it the Alaska wilderness or south pole without a pad or phone of some sort. I wonder how the hell they get the guests to agree to that. I mean drat, you'd have people dying to get a selfie with the dead corpse of the rude-bot they just capped coming off the train.

How are there no Contact-style sickly billionaires using their clout to get the rules bent to accommodate their oxygen masks or whatever?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

Because nobody has any diseases anymore

Oh right, I actually forgot that.

Some interesting info from a "Quality Assurance training module" in the ARG:

Apparently the bullets don't hurt the guests because the Delos computer has the ability to control bullet velocity somehow. So they are real(ish?) bullets but not hitting hard enough to break skin, which explains why MiB can shrug them off but newbies freak out and fall down. Also all the hosts have a "Good Samaritan Safety Protocols" that make them intervene when guests are in danger. And the rule of thumb is apparently 10 hosts per guest in each scenario.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

I think, for example, that Ford created paperwork for Bernard and had him interview with Delos and all that other stuff, rather than creating a host to replace an existing Bernard

That suggests the very funny scenario of Ford going to all that trouble and then Bernard getting shot down by HR.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kontradaz posted:

So how exactly will Maeve lead the robot uprising when presumably she needs to charge eventually? Lol robot uprising averted because somebody shut down all the robot plugs

We've had zero evidence there's any charging mechanism at all

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

At the same time, how are still going if they havent ate?

The one who smashed his head too, wanst he on that pit for a while? If he actually needed food, how could it be still active?

Im guessing they use some kind of future-power-source that never runs out or something

People don't instantly starve to death, bruh. If you want to make this argument about water then sure, you have a good point. Nobody carries enough water with them in this show and it drives me nuts.

Cojawfee posted:

Please tell me I can shoot a fox or something in this world and then when I rip it open it has a sandwich or a snickers inside.

"Uh hi yeah I ordered the kosher fox guts? Every one I've shot so far has a veggie burrito inside."

Tunicate posted:

Where are the normal bathrooms

Yeah you know if I'm a future billionaire probably used to some three seashells situation I'm not sure even the most immersive cowboy fantasy is going to make me want an authentic outhouse experience.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 18, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Elias_Maluco posted:

Fair point, but those hosts are supposed to be there for a long time, or that's what I undrestood. Also, water

They eat in-world and they get new blood and stuff every time they die. Also since the bulk of their bodies appears to be that white framework stuff they may have way smaller caloric needs than an all-meat human. A lot of our food goes to powering our brains, too, so maybe their positronic dealies are more energy efficient.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Discover Westworld site makes it clear that guests DO die in the park, just (allegedly) not very often. One of the listed causes of death was "self-cannibalism" :gonk:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I want to see a fetch quest. "I need you to go out and find me 5 pick axes so we can start this prospectin."

Edit: I'm interested to see how Ford plays out. He seems very integral to the story but Anthony Hopkins is expensive.

MiB just killed rats for the first twenty years until he leveled up enough.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As a safety feature we have specially bred these animals to need food. If they don't eat food they will die. Our system is foolproof.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

The more important point is that michael crichton is a climate-change-denying hack.

I wonder how much influence (if any) he has on this show? He's listed as an Executive Producer or something but that might just be a royalty thing.

If he has any influence that's a much better science fiction story than the one on the screen, considering he's been dead for nearly ten years

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if MiB playing so much might have a role in breaking the robots' brains. Like, their memory wipes can't really handle seeing the same face over and over again. Presumably most normally rich people only visit Westworld a handful of times at the most. Maybe seeing him constantly makes their memories overlap in ways they shouldn't.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

the lysine thing isn't a question of plausibility, it's just wrong. it's like saying "we prevent the tyrannosaurs from leaving the park by cutting off their wings as soon as they hatch."

Well did you see any wings? :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think a lot of what limits us is our ability to feel pain and freak out about pain happening. Whether the robots feel pain or merely perform it is probably one of the central debates the show wants us to have (so I'm not gonna :colbert: ) but demonstrably whether they can feel it or not they have the capability to push through it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

If he's gonna die soon, why does he need all that money?

To pay his lawyers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

For more oil paint.

Is that Teddy Roosevelt?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

The internet says Cage is worth about $18 million which sounds about right to me.

He - no joke - has most of that tied up in illegal fossils he can't sell.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's really cool storytelling but nothing we've seen about how the park works makes me think it's possible for Dolores to drop that can of milk accidentally. The whole point seems to be never having those kinds of organic moments.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

We see her drop it many times but only once in the past and that could have been the first time

"The past" is still a theory. We see her drop it many times.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kontradaz posted:

It's actually a merit of how much people care about a show they watch 1 hour a week. I'm proud of you for succeeding though, you can put this ability under your professional work experience in your resume.

"Geeksquad Tech 2005-2015

Skills
Fixing PC
Recognizing people in Westworld"

People functioning normally can differentiate between two faces even if they've never seen either of them before. When you're finished having this fit you should see a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kontradaz posted:

Lol I never said I can't differ between two people dumbo. Did the Geeksquad comment hit home :(

Try to get to a quiet place, maybe wrap yourself tightly with a blanket. Is there anyone at home who can help you?

• Locked thread