Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I did the same progression as you minus Micro. I liked his books because I was a dumb 13 year old. At least I was able to finish Prey, unlike The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Even when I was stuck in a dead car waiting for a tow truck and I had to save my phone batter, I still just sat there and stared into the sky instead of reading that Heinlein bullshit. It was too boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's not even a terrible writer of popular fiction, really. His style isn't literary and he's didactic by way of his characters about world-building, but shockingly, his work is mostly just fun "what if" scenarios that don't allow his horrible politics to bleed through (except in two or three specific cases). He's about halfway between "weirdly realistic and prescient science fiction" and "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!" At least, that's my impression, but I literally haven't read any of his books since I was twelve, so I could be wrong. He was basically very, very good at high concepts that his ideas support the middling (at absolute best) craftwork of his writing, and, unfortunately, he was a horrible person.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

the lysine thing isn't a question of plausibility, it's just wrong. it's like saying "we prevent the tyrannosaurs from leaving the park by cutting off their wings as soon as they hatch."

"Then deep-frying them, and dipping into a delicious buffalo sauce"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, really, taking one of the ideas from "good high concept man who is now dead and can't object to any changes we make," handing it off to "very critically acclaimed screenwriter who is interested in this particular subject," giving it HBO production values via J. J. Abrams money and then casting just about every character perfectly, to the point of getting some expensive A-listers who will be too expensive to keep beyond season 1 (besides William, who, if I'm being honest, I think they're giving a chance to stretch his talents and career-build) is a pretty drat good formula for success.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's HBO's biggest season 1 hit by a good deal. It's gonna be around for a while, especially with their stupid long production process.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Professor Shark posted:

It was really bad. I remember reading it as a kid enamored with Crichton, having read Jurassic Park, Lost World, Andromeda Strain, and Timeline all in a row, then getting to Prey and... ugh

Micro was the worst, though. I read 75% of it and just stopped

Sphere was pretty loving terrible as well.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot about Sphere- young me really liked it!

I just checked Wiki, I really liked Eaters of the Dead and Congo as well

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't think of the blood as an energy source, but as a switch for a "play dead" command. Teddy can likely run with no blood in his system, having Ford overwrite his behavior.

Though that might kind of break what Felix said, that hosts are biologically the same as humans, just with a difference in mind.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Dave posted:

Don't think of the blood as an energy source, but as a switch for a "play dead" command. Teddy can likely run with no blood in his system, having Ford overwrite his behavior.

Though that might kind of break what Felix said, that hosts are biologically the same as humans, just with a difference in mind.

That couldn't be true because they can hold perfectly still and they seem to be capable of superhuman agility and strength when enabled. That suggests a certain level of artificial motor control. Probably their dipped endoskeleton is capable of their gross movements and the rest gets layered on for verisimilitude.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah the hosts are definitely superhuman in their abilities. The woodcutter had his neck halfway sawed into before he climbed out of his hole, and it took his entire head being smashed for him to stop moving.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Nolan says he's going to get into host physiology next season

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OAquinas posted:

That couldn't be true because they can hold perfectly still and they seem to be capable of superhuman agility and strength when enabled. That suggests a certain level of artificial motor control. Probably their dipped endoskeleton is capable of their gross movements and the rest gets layered on for verisimilitude.

With some minor tweaks to skeletal muscle attachments humans could be much stronger than we are. Humans are kinda the twinks of the ape group.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think a lot of what limits us is our ability to feel pain and freak out about pain happening. Whether the robots feel pain or merely perform it is probably one of the central debates the show wants us to have (so I'm not gonna :colbert: ) but demonstrably whether they can feel it or not they have the capability to push through it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuhrerHat posted:

Considering they filmed it years ago and Anthony Hopkins undoubtedly has good enough lawyers to enforce a "Well if you're calling me back to film after 3 years, I'll need $3m per episode" standard, I am 99.999% certain he will not be returning for season 2.
If he's gonna die soon, why does he need all that money?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"Celebrities are not always as rich as their Wikipedia pages suggest!" says a disheveled Nicholas Cage between bites of Kraft Dinner as he irons his yellowed undershirts

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

To pay his lawyers.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

For more oil paint.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

For more oil paint.

Is that Teddy Roosevelt?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FuhrerHat posted:

Considering they filmed it years ago and Anthony Hopkins undoubtedly has good enough lawyers to enforce a "Well if you're calling me back to film after 3 years, I'll need $3m per episode" standard, I am 99.999% certain he will not be returning for season 2.

The filmed the pilot 2 years ago but the rest of the season more recently. Not that that has anything to do with anything. I would imagine if they planned on a season two they would have contracted the key cast for that possibility, i'm 99.999% sure HBO has enough money to pay their actors and know how to contract them for more than one season. Like do you think it's a surprise to anyone there's going to be a season 2

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fooz posted:

For more oil paint.

You might say my inspiration... is close to my heart heh heh

He should stick to acting

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

"Celebrities are not always as rich as their Wikipedia pages suggest!" says a disheveled Nicholas Cage between bites of Kraft Dinner as he irons his yellowed undershirts
The internet says Cage is worth about $18 million which sounds about right to me.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

The internet says Cage is worth about $18 million which sounds about right to me.

He - no joke - has most of that tied up in illegal fossils he can't sell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

His compulsive real estate purchases makes him walk around eating beans out of a can like Rorschach at his various properties is the internet rumor. The truth is probably that he has not been entirely responsible with his money, but is still pretty well-off.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

His IMDB says different

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

The filmed the pilot 2 years ago but the rest of the season more recently. Not that that has anything to do with anything. I would imagine if they planned on a season two they would have contracted the key cast for that possibility, i'm 99.999% sure HBO has enough money to pay their actors and know how to contract them for more than one season. Like do you think it's a surprise to anyone there's going to be a season 2

They do, but there's actors and then there's actors. Where Ed Harris, Hopkins, and HBO are concerned, I'm pretty sure the actors have more bargaining power than HBO. No surprise there's a season 2, but I would be surprised if both actors stay on for much longer.

I'd bet Ford dies, MiB maybe this season or the next.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

You might say my inspiration... is close to my heart heh heh

He should stick to acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-umHvslii_o

He's a competent composer for some reason though. I mean it's nothing amazing but it's no small feat to compose or orchestrate in the first place. And 48 minutes of it is a ton of work.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember watching a video where one of his friends took a song? orchestra? that he made when he was 21 and played it for him on his birthday :3:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yeah, he'd apparently never heard it. I really can't understand how he wrote something coherent like that without going to music school, being an accomplished instrumentalist, or having software to at least hear the parts together.

As far as I can tell he's some kind of music savant who became an actor instead (wise - the money is better). He'd be some kind of John Williams type monster if he'd trained in it.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 19, 2016

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nill posted:

The simplest way to take that scene is that it serves to show the viewer that Dolores has reached these points in her loop multiple times over the years (sometimes more successful than others) and that the journey she's about to go on isn't a unique, first occurrence. (regardless of whether you choose to believe that W&L and MiB occur at different times)
The alternate events and other Doloreses she sees along the way are to hammer this home. And even after the viewer is given hints of self-determination in her interactions with William, her 'original composition' landscape sketch turns out to be another case of having seen this all before.

Dolores and Maeve glitching out doesn't make two or three timelines. They experience things a different way than we do, maybe more the way a child does. A dream is not real, but a child thinks it is so. They haven't been jaded the way an adult usually is to that experience.

Bernard and Dolores in the basement isn't a real thing that happened, I don't think. It's all in Dolores' head. It might be how she rationalizes speaking with Arnold, who may indeed be the base for Bernard.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fooz posted:

Yeah, he'd apparently never heard it. I really can't understand how he wrote something coherent like that without going to music school, being an accomplished instrumentalist, or having software to at least hear the parts together.

As far as I can tell he's some kind of music savant who became an actor instead (wise - the money is better). He'd be some kind of John Williams type monster if he'd trained in it.

Was Hannibal Lector into music in the novel, or was that added for the movie?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've been doing a rewatch and episode 4 makes me feel very much like the "MiB=William" stuff doesn't work out. They're definitely loving with time somehow, but it's not the "two timelines and one is the Man in Black era and one is the William/Logan era," I think. There's too much intentional flow of ideas from once scene to another, as if the things are developing together. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
so is it safe to assume Ford's new narrative and the whole maze thing are one and the same? I keep thinking they're separate things but maybe Dolores' loop skip and the MiB are a part of it. That William/MiB is this perfect dude for Ford to build a narrative around, and in the end he'll be the figure at the center of the maze.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Humans can also train to hold themselves, or at least certain muscle groups, perfectly still. Surgeons, snipers, bomb technicians, yogis. Or more mundane examples like the living statue buskers or those guys who carve grains of rice into tiny sculptures. There's nothing about animal musculature that says it can't freeze in one position for some length of time, given fine enough control. The hosts probably have electronic brains that give themselves superhuman levels of control over the muscle groups, but otherwise are human.

And regarding the strength: many of the muscles in your body are strong enough to tear themselves off your bones when exerting maximum force. The reason that they don't is because you have receptors running throughout your muscles that feed back into the somatic nervous system, producing an inhibitory response to increased muscle contraction. Basically it's a negative feedback loop that prevents your muscles from contracting too hard. It is possible for this system to be overridden to some extent in stressful situations by adrenaline and other factors. Some researchers believe this is the source of stories about women lifting cars off of their children and the like.

So anyway, the hosts could be biologically human (except for their brain) and it wouldn't be at odds with them being able to hold perfectly still, shut down when commanded, or perform seemingly superhuman feats of strength.

Though I am curious about what specific feats you guys are referring to. I don't remember the hosts doing anything that would be impossible for a particularly strong human to accomplish. Certainly nothing outlandish like outrunning a train or lifting a horse.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

He - no joke - has most of that tied up in illegal fossils he can't sell.
oh, i believe you

the reason why is because I've conducted my own first hand research in that 1) there was an article about it i came across and laughed out sometime within the last 4 years and 2) i just happened to be watching a simpsons dvd with commentary near to the article where one of the writers relays that he was outbid in like early 2000s by nicohas cage on some early trogladyte giant beetle thing

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
E = Elsie :tinfoil:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, Lawrence and Hector are the greatest characters.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When is Maeve gonna Violent Delights Hector?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lycus posted:

When is Maeve gonna Violent Delights Hector?

Emptyquoting this so loving hard.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Apropos of nothing.
The Teddy = William from past and Arnold = Bernard, makes me wonder if Ford has achieved an "immortality" through transfer of real people conscious into the hosts (thus the "host" name. At the end, William is able to forever be with Dolores in the game, but making that kind of deal with Ford is more like making a wish with a genie. Yes, you can be immortal, but now at whims of Ford, a monster of a person, and will always be coming back someday.

It could also fit with the MiB / Ford conversation where Ford says he could never create a villain like the MiB. Maybe the MiB is looking for more permanence in Westworld...

Like I said, just an interesting interpretation, I seriously doubt it's in anyway correct.

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bicyclops posted:

I've been doing a rewatch and episode 4 makes me feel very much like the "MiB=William" stuff doesn't work out. They're definitely loving with time somehow, but it's not the "two timelines and one is the Man in Black era and one is the William/Logan era," I think. There's too much intentional flow of ideas from once scene to another, as if the things are developing together. I'd be happy to be wrong, though.

All the weird stuff is from the host's perspective, they're hallucinating/glitching out.

The logos... are interesting, but not enough on their own for two entire timelines.

• Locked thread