Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

LesterGroans posted:

I listened to that too. The guy was a solid storyteller and Hopkins seemed like a class act.

So someone mentioned earlier that in a kind of twist Ed Harris's character isn't a robot like we assumed. I'm not sure if they were being serious, but it would be kinda cool if he was like some ex-partner of Hopkins who had a change of heart.

From the second? trailer, it looks like (possible twist/spoiler) Jimmi Simpson's character might be a guest that's also an android? It looks like there was a quick shot of him chugging milk while getting shot in a saloon, and it looked like the milk was spraying out of the bullet holes.

When they first released casting info, I figured Marsten would be taking the Brolin role from the original, while Simpson would play the Richard Benjamin role, but from these trailers and early reviews, I'm not so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah I felt like we were led to believe in trailers that Ed Harris would be in the Yul Brynner role and not a tourist that administrators should really be keeping a closer eye on.

Given they mentioned that there hadn't been an incident in 30 years, and Ed Harris's character mentioned he'd been coming to Westworld for that same amount of time, I'm wondering if he's possibly connected to Delos, like he was the original creator of the 'Host' technology and didn't like what was being done with it, leading to the last recorded 'incident', and now he's trying again to get back at the corporation.

By the end I'm figuring he has a long-time connection to Delores, since she was mentioned as the first host created, and during the second 'cycle' they showed, when Teddy got held up from approaching her by guests, the Man in Black approached her, picked up the can and insinuated 'not today Delores'. Maybe he's trying to trigger something in Delores's programming by repeatedly tormenting her in a specific fashion, but only if the daily 'conditions' are correct. I.E. he'll attack her at night, but only if she has the pre-programmed interaction with Teddy in the morning, and neither are distracted from their normal routine by guests' actions. Otherwise he goes off to try to find information.

I could be way off on my baseless guessing, but who knows.

I've been checking some reviews, and I feel people whining about the sex and violence in the episode are just... missing the point of Westworld. It's a big, hedonistic playground where anything goes because, hey! You can't harm other guests, and the hosts are repaired/memory wiped so it's anything goes! But no, some people are complaining because Ed Harris raped a robot so they completely disregarded everything else.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MrMojok posted:

Ah, I think you are right. And they did say old Dad had previously been the sheriff, as well as the leader of a pack of cannibals.

Yep, closing credits referred to that character as Bartender/Dad. I thought that it was a cool touch that after the really chilling Abernathy scene, Delores 'repeated' her usual routine, greeted her dad, and it showed her 'new' father.

E: With the 'milk', I'm assuming that's actually some kind of... android supplement or something? The milk pouring out of the bullet hole when the renegade host was going slaughter crazy was a neat visual.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 3, 2016

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Dave posted:

I'm guessing that eventually (and maybe as soon as after season 1), we won't be going back to West World itself and the sets will be all modern day. Maybe Season 1 ends with the bots getting into society.

The sequel to Westworld, Futureworld, had that kind of plot; where Delos was cloning guests in order to try and replace rich and powerful people with these doubles that are programmed to be loyal to the company. That plot could be worked into a future season.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

vonnegutt posted:

If you visit the discoverwestworld.com site, you can "book" a stay for multiple days (it tells you to contact a Host for more info), and the chatbot talks about how nice the hotel accommodations are.

It also has some chatter about the fine dining and top shelf liquors, so I guess it's Disney-like in that you can go visit the theme park but also stay in a themed resort the whole time as well. Perhaps the train ride is just between the hotels and all the different "towns" you can experience.

At least in the movie, the two main characters stayed in a boarding house accommodation on-site run by a host. I'm guessing next week they'll show new guests coming to the park and see what housing set-ups are like.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Until the previous episode, I was convinced the twist was that the man in black was going to turn out to be Arnold gone rogue, trying to unlock the hosts' memories/consciousness. Back to back a little mind-blown that not only was Bernard a host recreation of Arnold, but the whole William/Logan thing was essentially a flashback. That part kinda sucked, since I really liked Jimmi Simpson in the role but once they showed the the picture of William's fiancee, which Delores found in the first episode it was a nice veer.

Aside from the dangling Elsie missing and Stubbs looking for her plotline, I thought this season was overall great. Started off a little slow IMO, but once it got going, it didn't really slow down.

Also, does anyone know if there's a list somewhere with all the player piano instrumentals? I recognized some of the tunes like Paint It Black, but others I had no idea or couldn't quite place the tune.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zaphod42 posted:

Ford took him out with the Native hosts, dude. Same way he had Bernard take out programmer lady and Theresa. He kept tabs on everybody and took out anybody who got clever to his scheme.

Dangling what? We saw in his memories, Bernard killed Elsie.

I meant more the part with Stubbs seeing her transmitter go off and go looking for her/finding her body. He doesn't know she's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zaphod42 posted:

I really like her so I do hope she's okay, but I doubt it :(

Yeah, I'm holding out hope she was just captured by Bernard or managed to break free and is hiding in the park/ reprogramming the Ghost Nation or something, but that chokehold wasn't looking promising.

• Locked thread