Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
"Only embers remain"

So... Dark Lord ending for DS 1 ?

I want them to detach movesets from specific weapons, editable movesets would be baller but I'm ok with only some different moves for a weaponclass and letting me choose between SpearMoveSet 1/2/3 for any spear

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Side stepping and parrying erryday

Roll should be for "OH gently caress" moments, like a giant throwing a boulder at you or other big AoE stuff

I don't really see them getting rid of shields, they really should try to make them more interesting though

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Can we get trick weapons ? Kirkhammer, Ludwig and Blades of Mercy wouldn't look too out of place with the setting

--

"Miyazaki noted that “improved player controls” make moving around during combat more “intuitive.” And for those who hated Bloodborne’s dodge-stepping, Dark Souls 3 features the usual dodge-rolling of other Souls games."

:smith:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 17, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Multiplayer is one of the things that sets Dark Souls apart from other games in my opinion. The messages and the blood stain mechanics are great, they add a lot. Playing offline is not the same, the ideal time is just after release when there's a lot players and everything is new and dangerous :unsmith:

For the invasions, like someone said earlier, just make you available if human and not if hollow, after clearing the boss give the option to change to whatever you want. To protect new players make the Blue Sentinels or some other equivalent covenant useful.

Oh, and when summoned I wish there was an option to stay until either the host or the phantom uses the black crystal

An easier way to play with friends would be nice too.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 19, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Bugblatter posted:

- Vaati says the game is about the resurrection of the Lords of Cinder, plural not singular. He's the only person I've heard say it that way though, not sure who is making the mistake.

Well, each player that ignited the flame in the DS1 ending could be a lord of cinder, so... there are many Lords in parallel worlds.

edit: welp, what everyone said before me.

A neat mechanic would be to save some players characters to create random red phantoms

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I don't see them doing this but I'd like them to make upgrades completely detached from weapons, give each weapon some slots to put gems/runes/glyphs whatever.

You will upgrade the raw damage/attribute scale/elemental/whatever runes from +1 to +10 then you put it in your weapon, later if you find a new weapon you want to try out just swap the runes.

Would ease the grind a lot, would let you try all the weapons, would make more weapons viable for different builds etc. :unsmith:

Oh, and maybe make more items like the Estus Flasks. Limited uses, restock at the bonfire.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

turtlecrunch posted:

Weapon art points come back when you die but not when you sit at bonfires according to the Oroboro/DreadedCone video.

Hope they changed that or that there's other ways to gain it back.

The shield one should be a bash/charge not parry :black101:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While I do like the shortcuts and interconnected world, DS 2 made possible to have great variety o levels. So I want them to use the best of both worlds, get a hub and teleport or whatever to bigass interconnected levels.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They should embrace the gem slotting and forget the linear weapon upgrade (+1 ... +10). Give every weapon some slots and you upgrade the gems and put it there. You can change them at bonfires so if you want to use other weapon load out just exchange the gems.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Using an item to get a bonus and opening multi-player for coop and invasions is the right choice. They could still do some specific places that are always invasion enabled (like the Door to Pharos/Grave of Saints) and design the area with that idea in mind.

What I'd love to see are boss invasions like the Looking Glass Knight fight.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Captain Yossarian posted:

I really want to play Dark Souls 3 :prepop:

Replaying SotFS something I'd like to see they do again are the NPC summons in the levels, not only at bosses. It really makes a difference when the world gets depopulated.

They could make a few and draw randomly from the NPC pool so that sometimes you'd see Jester Thomas sign, other times you'll have the Glencour sign and so on.

Do this with random invasions too. And make gimmick phantoms like Maldron, Giant Dads, Onion Knights spamming Force etc.

... game feels so empty now :smith:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Leave pyromancy out of attributes :argh:

Bloodborne style dodges would've been cool. Small doges for low distances and rolls to cover more ground

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'm waiting to change my video-card later in the year (got an old nvidia 570), Scholar of the First Sin runs fine here, I hope I'll be able to play this in some kind of low settings, this can't be more demanding than Witcher 3 (runs low-med here), can it ?

I must have my Dark Souls :ohdear:

Maybe Leonhard will sell them

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 2, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Section Z posted:

Do you have a coin jar or other build up of loose change container?

No, seriously. That put $100 towards my current card.

The 970 is at least $500 here in Brazil :( . Bad time to upgrade stuff

I'll probably start the pc parts jar while I wait for some prices to drop

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They could improve talking with npcs by adding conversation points (I think they do it a few times in Bloodborne with the cleric guy).

That way you don't need to keep talking until they repeat themselves and don't have to check everyone every time some story flag is set, when you talk to them you get all the options and you can see the ones you already talked about and new ones.

At least the critical path stuff.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Deprived starts with the club, that's all you need :getin: . (And to min/max, isn't Pyro better at DS1 and in DS2 any other class except deprived (depending on the build you want))

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

It feels like DS3 is a culmination of all the * Souls games + Bloodborne as a sending off in a 'Greatest Hits' sorta tribute as they close the chapter on Dark Souls.

I feel the same, they're wrapping the Souls series and probably moving on to other non-souls projects.

(I still want Bloodborne 2 for PC :argh: (And the 1st one, but that I don't even have hope anymore)

One think I'd like to see them try is to add more verticality (?) in the big boss fights, grabbing/climbing and stabbing in Shadow of Colossus and Dragons Dogma was fun, if they made the transition between that and the grounded dark souls fighting smooth it would be awesome.

Some climbing/jumping capabilities would be nice, so we can have 3D arenas and exploration instead of only flat grounds. (No need to get all platforming but waist high walls blocking paths is kinda lame).

Maybe in the next action/rpg from series :shobon:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

oldpainless posted:

I'm getting pretty excited now. Once it gets to like a month away is when I really start to get impatient

Available: April 11

This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 7 days and 23 hours

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Any wiki to see pictures of weapons/spells/items that people already showed in the videos ?

vvv

MrLonghair posted:

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/ just updated to get up to speed on unveilings, otherwise I recommend to dig around https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/, lost track of one from earlier today that had three albums of loadscreen items and more

e: oh here's the one I had in mind https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/48wzfo/dark_souls_iii_item_descriptions_from_the_recent/
Thanks ! :)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 5, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Andrigaar posted:

Awwww jesus, this is ~$45 USD right now.
Must resist... :byodood:

Just go and buy it. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what gamers do! You'll get used to it...

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

plape tickler posted:

I really liked Bloodborne and got the platinum. Then I bought Dark Souls II scholar ed and hated it. I got maybe 4 hours in and quit. I was constantly getting hit/dying and the second encounter with the large knight was my breaking point. Losing a large chunk of my life bar really annoyed me. DS3 is kind of tempting me but I really don't want a repeat of ds2. The similar look and seemingly faster pace in the ds3 footage looks encouraging. I'm guessing if I would have kept trying ds2 I would have eventually gotten decent at dodging but even typing this I'm getting a little aggravated picturing going back. Wait for ds3 to go on sale for $20 like I did with ds2?

I believe the correct answer would be to 'get good'

(DS3 seems a bit faster but the play style will not approach BB levels especially because of the rally mechanic, if you're dying/getting hit a lot you could try builds abusing the shield use, and some weapons let you attack behind a shield like the spears. If you didn't like DS2 it's probably better to wait to buy it cheap, you could try DS 1 and see if you enjoy it too)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wait, are you defending agility? :eyepop:

Hm, no ? :confused:

limited posted:

Plus Vaati found the ring that makes chained hits grant HP which is basically the recovery mechanic if you want to go nose-to-nose with critters.

I didn't see a video of him using it but I think it'll probably recover little hp, considerable lifesteal would change combat way too much (and having it always on using only one ring slot for that would make it too powerful)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
If they didn't provide the hardware for the pcs in the event maybe they locked to 30 to guarantee stable fps.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
FromSoftware, Obsidian and CD Projekt RED are developers that I trust to pre-order games (I'd even join future kickstarters, as I have done with Obsidian for PoE).

Pre-ordering is fine as long as the company shows gameplay footage beforehand, letting people stream on twitch, youtube, etc. is a good way to let buyers know if they want that game.

You should always get at least a small discount though, if pre-ordering gets you nothing just wait for the release date. (Skins doesn't count :colbert:)

After all I've seen from the game I'm buying the deluxe edition :shobon:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Inside Out Mom posted:

Are invasions like Dark Souls 1 where you can get invaded whenever, or is it like Bloodborne where you have to have summoned help before it'll let the game bring in an invader?

You can use an item (Ember) that gives you +40% hp and allows multiplayer (You can now summon up to 2 friendly phantom and be invaded by 1 red one). Theres another item (Dried Finger) that expands multiplayer capabilities, letting you summon 3 friends but now you can be invaded by 2 reds.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, somebody earlier said that there's no hollowing in DS3, but you do gain 40% hp when you use a multiplayer item? That's pretty much hollowing.

I guess they meant you just don't turn into a zombie, which is nice I guess.

When you use the ember you start glowing with fire, first time you use it you heal to full hp and gets the bonus health but I don't think you can use it again to heal (like people did with humanities in DS 1) because the symbol next to the hp bar changes.

After killing the 1st boss the guy gets in this 'cinder mode' too, but when you're not like that you look just like a normal 'human'.

The fire effect is pretty cool :shobon:

Maybe you should spoiler that.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 8, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I'm thinking about Dex/Sorcery, Hex (Deep ?) and Str/Dex. No idea which will be my first.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Fhqwhgads posted:

I went Pyromancer the first time around because it would let me cast spells while not making me have to put points into INT/FTH so I could just go STR and axes, but this time it looks like I'll have to level spellcasting stats for it? How would you stat for a Pyro in this game, if you'll need STR, INT, and FTH to do it?

If Pyro is like it was in DS 2 you only need INT or FTH, it scaled with INT+FTH. So... Str or Dex and INT or FTH for pyro

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

A Magical Lamp posted:

I ran the canyourunit thing for this and it says my CPU isn't good enough - minimum Intel Core i5 2500 and I have Intel Core i5 2400. Do I care about this or can I fix it by lowering a few settings? I guess I'm just one model off.

CPU is only a limiting factor in some few games, you're probably fine if your GPU can handle it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

HMS Boromir posted:

The good news on that front is CPUs are getting better by less and less with every generation. There's never been a better time to buy a top of the line or even midrange CPU and know it'll be good for those 5 years if not more.

too bad this is the last souls game so there's no longer a reason to have a computer after this

Well, they're still getting better, they're just not getting much improvement on the clock speed but you get more cores, instructions, better energy efficiency etc.

But yeah, for gaming, CPUs will probably last at least 5 years. Even if we get some crazy new tech that makes the next gen advance a huge step we're still bound to the current consoles for most of the games.

And don't even joke about being the last souls game :negative:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 9, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Willfrey posted:

You can play using the kinect? Awesome

It would not surprise me if someone already did it with Dark Souls.

I've seen guitar, bongo and voice streams.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just ordered a 970 in anticipation for this game :getin:. It would probably be better to wait for the next gen nvidia cards but I need my Souls now.

Those Drang Hammers look awesome

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Salt and Sanctuary is not in PCs yet (:argh:), what am I going to play until April ?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

sector_corrector posted:

I dunno, I'm curious. gently caress you.

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2016/Global/

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The other streams didn't show much of this area, this undead village is really big, have some open areas and lots of places to explore. It's unlike DS1 and DS2, maybe a little Bloodborny (? didn't play :()

Digging this area design a lot

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Oh, and game is running @60fps, if there was still any doubt

And... PC graphics settings

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Those resins don't last long enough, I don't think they stay on for 10s, something close to 15-20s would be good, I do like that you apply them fast

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Genocyber posted:

I like 'em. They're for a quick burst of extra damage. As long as they're plentiful it shouldn't be an issue, plus they contrast with spell buffs (assuming spell buffs last for the traditional amount of time).

I just wish they gave more time to get closer to the enemy, as is you have to use them almost at melee range instead of resin->get close->attack

(And they seem to be plentiful, probably as expendable as bombs, knives, etc.)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

pmchem posted:

Can you link to whoever was previewing on PC?

Is there still stupidity with mouse double click settings?

The stream stopped a while ago but they said they're going to upload the whole thing, so try to see it later at the IGN channel youtube.com/channel/UCKy1dAqELo0zrOtPkf0eTMw (I think it's the 60 fps video that is coming later)

nevermind, here: youtube.com/watch?v=SqJPZbizlfs

They were using controllers so I don't know about that

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Consoles and low end PCs limits a bit what developers can do. I don't think they tried to deceive either, they just got to a point where they had to change stuff or the game wouldn't run as it should. (Better director/designers would've caught those problems earlier, DS2 still has many places where it looks good, they could've made pre-release trailers that looked like the final game).

But that's in the past, the IGN playthrough is on max PC settings and game looks great, we don't have to worry about that :shobon:.

• Locked thread