Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alabaster White posted:

I heard there's a new 'swordfighting arts' thing that will work similarly to magic/hunter tools. Presumably they're like magic for physical only characters? I imagine Bloodborne had a lot to do with this design decision :v:

That was from that The Know leak, so I'm skeptical, but I would love that to be the case. Being able to select shield turtling or fast sidestepping BB combat would let me throw shields in the garbage from the word go and never look back while letting people who like that style still play that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZZZorcerer posted:

"Only embers remain"

So... Dark Lord ending for DS 1 ?

Possibly - they never picked an ending for II, and sort of imply that the boom and bust cycle goes on eternally, and new kingdoms are built on the old. It could just be that we're in the waning stages of the last Chosen undead reigniting the flame.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
BB seems like the best solution. Make them a skill check for PvE, and nearly impossible to pull off in PvP.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chalice dungeons are a little sparse right now, but I'm happy the system is in place so that it can be expanded in DLC. If we get three DLCs and each one adds a little something to the chalice engine, then I think they'll be magnificent by the end of the game's lifespan.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My singular complaint about BB was the spell system. The utility spells don't last long enough or have enough, ergh, utility, and the damage spells are all fairly boring.

I can understand the difficulty in balancing spells for PVP vs. PVE, but maybe instead of neutering magic damage as a mode of PvE combat, they could just give players a lot of damage resistant from spells that originate from other players.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Did the Old Chaos just get up and move? The area you fall even has similar architecture to the Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.

I can't remember the story of Eleum Loyce that well, but I think that the Old Chaos is something that is summoned / triggered when a witch fucks around with the first flame in an effort to reignite it. From what I recall, the Ivory King's wife did that... maybe at the behest of a shard of Manus or something. It's like how you can start a fire in New York and start a fire in LA and even if they look pretty similar it's not like they're the same fire.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suitaru posted:

If you look at the ground in Manus's arena, there's a tiny open grave

it's just about pygmy-sized, I'd say

From what I remember, Manus was a primeval (if not THE primeval) human, and the shits in Oolacile dug him up at the behest of Kaathe and then experimented on him and tortured him until his humanity exploded all over the place, unleashing the Abyss. Sort of like how he convinced the folks of New Londo that sucking life energy was a worthwhile area of exploration. Both of those things point to the idea that humanity is potentially enriching and life affirming, but that taken to extremes is corrosive and corrupt.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iron Tarkus, Jester Thomas, Lucatiel of Mirrah and Pilgrim Belclaire for this guy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah I never beat that without cheesing him, what a hard fight

I've found that constant, unyielding pressure is the key to besting him. He's a really fun fight, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alabaster White posted:

Bloodborne had the best system where you could have shitloads of consumables in storage but only carry X at a time to keep the game actually balanced. Also, I think weapon arts are almost exactly what that is going to be.

:yeah:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who would your dream 4 line-up of NPC invaders be?

Mine would be Maldron the Assassin, Jester Thomas, Fencer Sharron and Lautrec the Embraced

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope that in Dark Souls 3 there is a fully voiced Solaire companion who does the tutorial level and guides you through the game while shouting his epic catch phrases.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the slightly more active Souls thread running, so I'll ask here: has anyone compiled a decent list of what SM people tend to summon for co-op? I like to be summoned at Elana because I find her to be a fun co-op ight, but at 700,000 I'm not getting any hits at her boss door.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

Most people would be over SM 1 million at least for the dlc.

Huh, that makes sense. I'm usually very careful with the Agape ring once I get it, because I hate leveling out of co-op range, since being summoned is my favorite part of the game. Maybe I'll tag on another 300 thousand to get to that range, and see what sort of co-op opens up for me.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 1, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

argondamn posted:

There is no such thing as leveling out of co-op range in DkS2. Stop micromanaging your SM.

Except there definitely is, idiot? Especially if you specifically want to co-op a certain boss.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HairyManling posted:

Brightstone was difficult for me on my first play through. And Freja was the first boss that really stumped me (probably because of my build and playstyle). There's a bunch of vertical differences where you can get magic missiled and there's like a million spiders on the ground and then basilisks pop up from the sand and then there's an invader before the little bridge through all the spiky ground area. Brightstone was the only area in the entire game, including DLC, that I purposely killed everything to the point of not respawning anymore - so I could just run to the boss and not have to put up with any bullshit. In hindsight, I like the area. But it was really frustrating on first play through and probably the most challenging part of the game for me.

I had a horrible time on my first time through as well. I was also using a shield and miracles (before the nerf), so every boss up to that point had been amazingly easy, and Freja definitely doesn't lend herself to being beaten by that.

Once you ditch the shield and the magic and just hit her in one of her faces she's a lot easier, of course. All of her attacks have easy tells and huge wind-ups. If you drag Boyd in there with you it's even simpler, because he'll face tank her while you call your shots.

I do like that area a lot though. It does the whole ruined village feeling really well, and I like the combination of caves to explore alongside shifts in height and elevation. There's also the Pate / Creighton questline, the trapped door, a pretty cool red phantom, The Duke's side room and many other cool set pieces that are fun to explore. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is that I forget how to get to the second bonfire pretty much every time, so I usually spend 10 or 15 minutes running around trying to remember the path. Otherwise it's a really cool location that feels a lot more like DS1.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The NPC summon is really all you should need if you're having trouble. But, yeah, I agree that the SOTFS playthrough was a shitload easier. I think that might be attributable to there being less casters (they replaced a few of them with healers, who are easy to pick off). Just kite the physical enemies up to solid land, deal with them, and then roll around or heal through the soul arrows.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vermain posted:

Getting through Amana these days for me is mostly just a chore. Snipe the Priestesses with arrows, block the Archdrakes until they're done their combo and then respond, throw Poison Daggers at the hippos, etc.

I just fight everything normally by dodging and then attacking them during openings, healing occasionally. It's fun. You should try it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alabaster White posted:

You know what I just realized? New Souls means... new mimics :getin:

I'm just waiting for a door mimic, a bonfire mimic or a corpse mimic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fister Roboto posted:

Summoning sign mimic.

Lol. Or a message mimic who moves invisibly around the level.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In DS2 it's even sort of the opposite. Selden gives you a prize if you get enough people at Majula.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
How about a reverse mimic, where it's a miniature Smough that you prepare to fight, and as soon as you hit it and it transforms into a treasure chest.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Delayed mimic that lets you open, take the thing, and then sneaks up behind you and follows you until it has an opportunity to attack.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now to just empty quote thi-

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even though lore stuff can get sort of annoying and far fetched, I still like that approach (archaeologically digging into item descriptions, enemy placement, etc.) over the alternative.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Orv posted:

Can't you idiots wait until the game has been out a bit to be this insufferable?

The Bloodborne thread was even worse. Just be thankful Zaphod isn't posting in this thing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everything I've seen indicates that DS3 is going to be the level design and quick movement of BB mixed with the character building variety of DS2. I think that sounds like the perfect game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, it looks really good. I like that the dragon is central to the level, and harrasses you at multiple points with fire.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flytrap posted:

I'd call the shortcuts a good design point myself. If I have to choose between immersion the breaking shortcuts to save time or the immersion breaking boredom of walking backwards through something I just finished, I'll take the former every single time.

My favorite part of the shortcuts is the minigame where you guess where you're going to be coming out at the end by looking for the obviously barred door, opening on a ledge, or poorly hidden door.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

So if I'm reading that right, it sounds like an inverse of soul/body form from Demon's Souls. Instead of giving you your full HP only when you're in body form/open for invasions, you get a bonus for doing that. I like that a lot. It's ultimately the same thing--Demon's Souls was balanced around the idea that you're going to have between 50% and 75% max HP at any given time, so having full HP was more of a bonus than a necessity--but it feels less like punishment if you're not seeing your HP meter chopped in half.

Neat.

I like it too. DS2 often felt like it was balanced around having full health, and being hollow was a major inconvenience, leading to either wearing the ring of binding, scumming with rings of protection, or constantly co-oping... that was a nice way to drive folks to co-op, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Exactly. Catacombs isn't too terrible, but Tomb of the Giants is a great concept done horribly wrong because of awful enemy placement and an underwhelming wet fart of a boss I was looking forward to from the intro cinematic, Nito. Which also completely breaks the Gravelord covenant so it's clear they didn't put a lot of thought into the design of that area or covenant. New Londo is basically a race against time of a sort, unless you're crazy enough to get cursed from basilisks, by using Transient Curses so you can actually kill most of the enemies there. Then you need to figure out you need to equip Artorias' ring so you can fight the Four Kings which is a timed boss fight and also can gently caress up your character build if it relies too heavily on a specific ring since you need Artorias' ring equipped the whole time. Duke's Archives commit the sin of forcing you to die against Seath for pretty much no reason but isn't too terrible, but the Crystal Caves afterwards looks pretty but is awkward to navigate with physics that just don't work because you're sliding down towards the pit below when you shouldn't and it only gets worse with the 60 fps enabled tweak, before ending with another underwhelming boss fight against Seath. Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith being so terrible pretty much speaks for itself. But not only are the level design, bosses and enemies poo poo but the aesthetic is really painful to my eyes and the first thing I do when installing the PC version is download the mod that makes the lava less of an eyesore.

The DLC content being available on the second half is about the only thing that saves it, but that didn't come out until around a year after the game released.

Wow, this guy is a grade-A dumbfuck.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that it looks like a bigger version of a sword this time, instead of the gigantic monstrosity it was in 2. I understand the Guts / Berserk reference, but the proportions always seemed goofy to me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concurred posted:

Lighting every torch in the Gutter owns so hard and I look forward to it every playthrough.

Is that what triggers the invaders? I encountered her for the first time ever on my last playthrough (my 4th or 5th).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pyromancy is always my favorite magic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ruddha posted:

im scared to, i want it to be as close to brand new as possible. im supplementing by playing dark souls

Ah, same, and same. I'm playing unpatched Xbox 360 Dark Souls, which is different enough to nearly be a new game. For instance, Havel is no longer leashed to his basement, and he'll follow you pretty much any loving place once you piss him off.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EC posted:

Really? I didn't know that.

I never tried drawing him out to Darkroot, but he definitely followed me up through the upper 'Burg until he trapped me next to some shield hollows and killed me. There are lots of small changes, actually, and the game seems harder overall. I'd recommend giving it a try.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

I was more confused about the sex change coffin

There's a beach with two Ogres. In SOTFS it's gated behind a Fragrant Branch. Killing the two ogres will trigger the young firekeeper to give you her ladle. Continuing to explore the beach will reveal a coffin, and jumping into the coffin will let you remake the aesthetic aspects of your character along with swapping your current sex.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I thought the coffin just changed your sex. Unless there was some new update that took you through character creation again?

Hmm, I may be misremembering. I was pretty sure that the character creation screen (the physical part) came up for me again, but I could be wrong. I only did it once to see what the coffin did and never bothered with it again.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gologle posted:

I want a shield I can throw, so that all who know I throw my mighty shield may yield.

It's a missed opportunity that the ruin sentinels didn't drop something like that. Although I've never gotten a single drop from a ruin sentinel, so maybe that's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldpainless posted:

Lol if you don't play dark souls with the tv off for an authentic experience

I've memorized a two million item sequence of button presses including turning the tv on once to confirm that I've landed the killing blow on Gwyn. But I'm not a casual, of course.

• Locked thread