Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm in as mediocre programmer and :krad: artist. I already have a teammate, a fricking talented game and sim programmer and stick figure artist who was a ranked winner (not first) in a previous year but I'm not sure if he's ready to announce himself yet so I'll withhold his name for now. I tried last year and failed miserably to even finish a reasonably playable product but I'm pumped for this year and ready to stake my e-cred on seeing this through to the end. I wouldn't mind taking on another teammate, particularly to split the duty of creating art assets, but I'll have to consult with my existing teammate first - this isn't his first rodeo so I'll defer to his better judgment. Even so, I can be emailed at manuela.malasanya@gmx.com.

I'm digging the themes this year and I'll be pleased no matter which one is chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I used to live in Dar es Salaam so local color opens up a bunch of possibilities. Even so, if we had to use our current locale I think tons of possibilities can spring to life just from the generic setting of "suburb." I'm hoping for local color out of the same concern voiced by other goons that we'll just get "it's x but without y!" although I did think it might be funny to have a princess maker style game where the princess is actually a dress stuffed with pillows.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If it's games for grandma, I want to make a game where you play as a character based on Empress Dowager Cixi. Mother of an emperor and grandmother to the next in line to the throne ruling from the shadows and dealing with intrigue. Old women are wily. There are all sorts of interesting directions you can go in once you start thinking about cultural symbols associated with age, motherhood, femininity, loss of fertility, death, etc. What about a game where you are Atropos and you have to choose who to kill to steer fate in the right direction?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I think every "critical omission" game could be compared with one that's already out there, but I hope that doesn't stop people from just making whatever.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Jo posted:

My office mate recommended Pac Man with no AI. The ghosts move based on your controls.

I'd throw into the mix a variation: Pac Man with no dots. Just survive for as long as possible.

Pac Man where the ghosts mostly ignore you but sometimes give you hugs. It is a rave.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Four days in and I have character designs - on paper. Time to sprite! We def need some voice work so I'm glad there are folks offering.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I feel confident putting it all out there, so let it be known that Team Dogpit is in the house, starring Ziggy Starfucker of Deadweed fame as coder, myself as writer and artist, and TheHistoryChannel as smack talk consultant. Our entry is a 2d fighter where all the pain ...is to your pride. Stay tuned for further development.

Ziggy has created an awesome engine and is using Jojo and Street Fighter sprites as placeholders and it's kind of making me sad that there has never been a Marvel vs Jojo crossover.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 5:

OK, now to do it again but pixely-er.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Making piles of pixels takes way too long. Next time I should just steal poo poo from Street Fighter II.

E: And only now that I'm looking at it zoomed out do I realize that I shrank her legs without meaning to. Whoops. Are there free programs that have more sprite-friendly features than photoshop?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 6:

And the award for anime-est hair goes to Team Dogpit!

He's supposed to be wearing John Oliver's Adidas. Making sprites is so freaking time consuming.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When I was sketching the characters for our game, Ziggy Starfucker told me, "make one a dominatrix, fighting games always have dominatrixes." (Shouldn't that be dominatrices?) Thus I created this lovely lady:

(work in progress)

Such a feminine pose! Such sexy hip-swaying! I do admit, goons, that I didn't come up with that pose myself. I was inspired by the sexiest of sexies:

Dio-sama! :swoon:

Harold Krell posted:

Spiders

gently caress you for plundering my nightmares for ideas. :v:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 7, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I was such a naive child when I first began this competition.

How is it that after three hours of work this is all I have to show for it?

:negative:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Got some map highlighting going on.

Respect, yo. I did that in javascript once...I still have nightmares about it...

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Almost...done...

I swear, everyone else is gonna have like 2 frame walk animations.

Now I see why everybody else is doing 3d stuff. But none of you have animated pink tiger stripe pants, so there!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Also, blinkeve1826 sent her recordings for our game's receptionist today and they're awesome. Looking forward to getting them in the game.

She also did some AMAZING voice work for Team Dogpit's 2d insult fighter and I can't wait to show it off. If you want a vision of the future, imagine Xianghua saying "Justice will prevail! Just kidding!" to a pixelated face - forever.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Temper Trudeau posted:

This is a good omen. I can't wait to see your game. I am envious of your capacity for patience.

Thanks mang. I learned my lesson after I made eight individual drawings for the girl's walk cycle. By sprite art purist standards, I cheated with the dude. I made the character in Illustrator with different objects for his body parts and I moved and skewed them like I was using Flash (which is how the tiger stripes stay consistent) and then I imported each frame into Photoshop for reduction. It still took two hours for just three frames. And I still need to do a lot of cleanup. :stonklol: At least I can use the illustrator objects for other poses; making the pieces, grouping them, and arranging them in the right order was the most time consuming part. I've never done sprite art before, so I'm glad that this contest is giving me the kick to the pants I need to pick up a new skill. I normally do slick detailed high-res stuff. I used to think doing sprites had to be easy. :downs:

p3r posted:

Who need actual graphics when you can do sick flips?

Hells yeah. If I were at home I'd stick on the triangle and then that would be the coolest poo poo known to man.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

p3r posted:

This is now my test sprite for the driver and there's nothing you can do about it. :colbert:

:iia:

You can go ahead and use any sprites I make of that character in your finished game if you want. Anime peg bundy man exists for the good of mankind. :911:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SynthOrange posted:

Oh good you've recreated:

Obviously doing

vs

Edit for content:

Man, something about this walk cycle just seems off.

Huh.

Might just go back to drawing frames individually.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 10, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sighnoceros posted:

:siren: IN-GAME FOOTAGE, NOT PRE-RENDERED :siren:

I came.

Progress report, day 11:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 30, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
12 continuous hours of work, ladies and gentlemen:

Edit:

You thought it was M. Bison, but it was actually I, FULANA.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 12, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Finishing a walk cycle is incredibly satisfying.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 13, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I figured he was talking to lurkers who hadn't actually started yet.

E: Team Dogpit actually has a working game but it's full of Jojo sprites so it just looks like Jojo's Bizarre DDR Session.

^Svampson that is incredibly cute

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

No Such Thing posted:

is it supposed to look like goatse?

Of course not, are you stupid?

There's no ring!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sighnoceros posted:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

Whoa buddy NWS that thing. :v:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I haven’t gotten more than 5 hours of sleep at a stretch since this contest began nor have I had dinner more than 8 times or lunch more than 5. Why are there only 24 hours in a day??? :negative:

On the bright side, I lost five pounds! :unsmith:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Btw what is the policy on prizes or whatever for teams with multiple entrants? Non goon entrants? I have a non-goon friend onboard who is composing some bitchin tracks for the game as well as providing full voiceover for the main character, if we won could he partake in the spoils?

If not, well, I do happen to have a spare :10bux: lying around, so...

E: also I think another non-goon is considering hopping aboard Team Dogpit so make that :20bux:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 16, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

As explained in the OP, only the team leader will get the physical and digital prizes. It is completely up to them how to distribute those prizes among teammates.

That makes sense! :) That's not actually in the OP though, or maybe I really need to get some sleep.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What if the connection times out and the site flags us as having submitted something but actually we haven't? I assume emailing the site admin will sort that out in that case?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whoops, instead of making a video game, I made another sequel to High School Musical!

What a misunderstanding!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Select a character!

....and MYSTERY BAD GUY...!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So many more...assets to create...no time....

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

You misspelled color.

And randomize. :911:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Finally got enough features and assets to show off a complete match demo for Slam Fighter 2. The critical omission is that there's no actual fighting so you and your opponent just smacktalk each other instead until someone cries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzwp8liSJc

Meh, needs work. :v:

But seriously, I want to add that every single song you hear is an original composition by our IRL friend Screaming Color, who also provides Tatsufumi's voice. Oh yeah and that's blinkeve1826 you're hearing as Bunny!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Resource posted:

Probably shouldn't have waited until the last week to give up on version control and start making a game, but, progress!

Right now the critical omission is fun, but ideally we're thinking something else.

It looks like they each have a tanned head on a strap. Don't change it, it's :black101: as gently caress.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Onward to victory!!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So many more assets to create. :suicide: Well, this contest taught me a very valuable lesson about scope. I'm running on caffeine and adderall at this point. :sludgepal: The first thing I'm going to do after the contest is get more than 4 hours of sleep at one time.

On the bright side, I'm turning out the best animations I've ever done in my life. I've lost 10 pounds in these three weeks and I'm just a lady of average height and build; consequently my cheekbones are starting to look fuckin' great. Thank you, SA Game Jam X!

My team is going to win and it will be awesome. Mark my words.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

Please tell me your aren't actually taking Adderall and getting 4 hours of sleep a night.

I take Adderall therapeutically, so the only difference is that I take my standard dose in the evening as well. I'm not going to college campuses and buying pills from the kids walking around, although that seems like an interesting idea for a game. :v:

Anyhow, on the weekends my teammate and fiance Ziggy Starfucker makes me sleep and even eat things sometimes, so I can't actually go full EA sprint. I think though that it will be worth it; I think you all are going to be very very impressed by what we've managed to do in a month's time.

E: to clarify, if you're familiar with stim treatment for ADHD, you'll know that the standard prescribed dose is usually measured and timed such that you crash not long after work. Well I need after work to focus on game, so I had to take my dose later in the day so I wouldn't crash at 7PM. Consequently I don't feel sleepy at midnight and end up staying up until 3AM. I'm not actually getting high or whatever it sounds like.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Having trouble with my physics engine.

Seems that making my characters pose like Jojos throws off their center of gravity. Is anyone else having this problem?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So as it turns out, six characters for a fighting game to be made in one month by an artist who has literally never made a sprite before is kiiiiiiinda ambitious.

I have one more character to finish animations for for my game and then various other assets. Reviewing the sprites I have, there's a rather clear difference in quality of animation and shading between the earlier ones I did and the ones I'm finishing now but there's no time to unify them, so I hope everyone enjoys the progression they see from the first sprites I ever did in my life and the sprites I made one month later after doing nothing but make sprites all day and night.

Mad props to the very kind people in the pixel art megathread who set me on the path of righteousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BossRighteous posted:

I would agree.

By the way, what is the opposite of Feature Creep?

Feature Baller :whatup:

• Locked thread