Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Another thought: Potsby was killed from a stab wound to the back.

The caretaker is a big muscular guy, and Potsby was a scrawny little guy. If the caretaker was going to kill him, it would be simpler to beat or strangle him to death instead.

A knife in the back indicates a killer that didn't want a direct confrontation with the victim. Possibly because she wasn't dressed for a fight, being only in a towel?

I accuse Goldie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hmm...What brings you to that conclusion?

His beef. Someone as burly as that would have no trouble committing murder.

Infallible logic.

I reckon he planned to set up Nicks for it right from the start.

Really? You mean to say you think Nicks' break-in was somehow arranged by Downes? How?

Well, erm...

Hmph. Let me tell you what I think.

I suspect the true victim is in fact the victim's wife, Potsby-Mahn.

You don't!

Yes. I can say that with...

Before Alfendi gives us his percentage of probability (or before the auto-save kicks in), let's go back and name Potsby-Mahn as the most likely culprit.

Interesting. What brings you to that conclusion?

She were the one that found the body.

Once you see it makes no sense for that thief, Nicks, to have given a false statement, she's next ont' list.

I can't say it's a compelling deduction, but I think you're right to suspect the wife.

Alfendi's still not entirely happy. :(

In fact I'd say there's a...

...96.4% probability that Potsby-Mahn is the culprit.

You're pretty sure of yourself again, aren't you, Prof?

Well, there's still an uncomfortable 3.6% band of uncertainty that we must eliminate.

I'll need to speak directly to the suspect in order to clear up one or two loose ends.

I assume you mean....

Our prime suspect, Ms Goldie Potsby-Mahn.

Aye!

Lucy honestly seems stunned at the idea of interviewing a suspect.

Though it's not officially related to this case, the woman has an extremely worrying history. She's had three previous marriages, every one of which has ended with her spouse dying.

Give over! Talk about leaving a trail.

The police and the insurance companies investigated the incidents, of course.

But they couldn't find any indication of foul play.

Maybe she's just dead unlucky then, do you think?

Let's reserve judgement on that until we've met the woman in person. She should be here any minute.

Do you think she has any idea we're onto her?

Alfendi must be capable of telepathic communication; he's been with Lucy since he found the file Florence sent.

I guess we'll just have to try and catch her off guard then, eh?

Yes, I don't expect she'll give much away, but as we home in on the truth, hopefully she'll get flustered.

I'm counting on your help, Lucy.

Well, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a walk in the park, but I'll do what I can.

Good. Because I believe she's here.

What the--

Ms Goldie Potsby-Mahn?

That is mah name. A pleasure to meet you, I'm sure.

And, er...who's this fellow with you?

Well, I would have thought that was perfectly plain.

Grrrr.....

You've got a new fellow? Already? But your husband's barely cold!

Husband?

Oh, yes, I did have a husband, that's right.

Ee, talk about unfeeling...

And what's that you've got around your fellow's neck? A collar?

Isn't it swell? I chose it mahself.

Grrrrrr.....

Unbelievable.

You can't do that!

Well, I do declare! The pohlice, interfering in a young lady's private affairs of the heart!

No, that's not what I meant at all. I were--.

However, I wonder if we might ask your friend to leave us alone while we discuss the case?

Bing is mah best friend, Inspector. We have no secrets between us. If I say stay, he stays.

I'm afraid I cannot allow information about the case to be revealed to a third party.

Please, if you wouldn't mind...

…...

Oh, very well. Bingo, home, boy! Go wait for me under the porch.

Aroo?

Arooo...

Bing leaves.

Thank you. Now, allow me to introduce myself, if a little late.

I'm Inspector Layton.

And I'm Lucy Baker, the Prof's assistant.

And what is it that you want with l'il ol' me? I already gave the nice gen'leman mah statement.

Why, everyone knows it was that no-good outlaw who committed the heinous crime.

Indeed, as likely as that may seem, there are a number of issues we still need to clear up.

Oh really, Inspector?

Yes. Well, two issues, to be precise.

Firstly, the exact circumstances of the victim's death.

Secondly, there's the intruder's point of entry.

Why, through the window, of course.

Naturally, I have read all the witness statements. It's our job to iron out all these little details one by one, you see.

I hope you won't mind helping us?

It would be mah pleasure, if it helps to bring that murdering outlaw to justice.

Good. So, Lucy, shall we begin our investigation?

Aye, let's get stuck in, Prof!

So these are the issues we still need to clear up about the case, are they?

Yes, if we can solve these little riddles, it will lead us to the truth about what happened.

Why, they're both as plain as day!

Perhaps, but we need to confirm they're as clear-cut as it seems. Lucy, where do you want to start?

Let's see now...

Nature of attack:

We should start by examining the body.

Right you are.

Hmph.

So, let's explore the scene of the crime. If anything jogs your memory, Ms Potsby-Mahn, do tell us.

I'm sure I don't see the point of all this carry-on when I have already told you who the criminal is.

I'm afraid this is just the procedure we always follow, so if you wouldn't mind playing along.

Alright, Lucy, let's get started.

Are you sure this l'il spring chicken is up to the task, Inspector? She seems mighty inexperienced.

Oh, please!

There's no need for concern. I shall be keeping a close eye to make sure everything is done in the proper way.

Right. I think you've established the cause of death now, haven't you?

Aye. He were fatally stabbed.

Yet Nicks wasn't found carrying a likely murder weapon, so....

And am I to understand that you have no idea what the murder weapon even is?

Please, be patient.

Lucy, we need to locate the murder weapon.

I'll track it down, Prof, don't you worry.

I do believe you need a helping hand. The thief fled over the balcony. Maybe look there?

We already know that there isn't anything that could have been used as the murder weapon on the balcony, so let's take another look at those knives in the kitchen area.

There's some kitchen knives here, Prof. Could be the job.

That would be consistent with the long, thin blade that forensics tells us the victim was stabbed with.

Sadly not. That's not the weapon we're looking for.

Oh? Why not?

An officer already found those knives and forensics has examined them for traces of blood. None was found. In fact, they look almost brand new.

Given Alfendi's remark in the last case about the inefficiency of home-cooking, that was probably meant more as a compliment, rather than an insult.

Oh, pity. I thought I were on to summat with that.

On the contrary. We will most certainly find it. Lucy, let's keep looking.

The only other possibility is the broken glass shards.

These shards of glass are pretty sharp, Prof.

You mean one of the larger ones could have made a makeshift weapon?

That's what I was thinking, aye.

Yes, the investigating officers had the same idea, so forensics studied every contender.

Eh-up, here comes a 'but'.

But, none of the shards match the size and shape of the victims wound.

Keep looking, Lucy. What else could have been used?

When is all this carry-on going to end? Mah poor heart surely cannot take much more.

The pohlice have already turned mah home upside-down and found no trace of a murder weapon.

Surely you should be looking in the grounds where that murdering outlaw was caught instead?

We've already completed a thorough search of the surrounding area.

What, stuck a knife down his throat? Give over!

Now don't tell me you have never seen a sword-swallower before?

Perhaps we should take a step back and examine the facts we know about the murder weapon again?

Lucy, there were no other obvious signs of physical trauma on the victim, correct? What does that tell you? He was stabbed in the back and has no other wounds, so...

I couldn't agree more.

So we can be fairly certain the victim were killed in a surprise attack.

The man is beyond contempt!

That would be nothing short of a miracle.

After all, we're talking about a complete stranger entering the room.

…..

Poor Jack. He must have drifted off to sleep in front of the television. Mah poor honey did that a lot.

That's an interesting new piece of information. We'll file it as a witness statement if you don't mind.

I'd say that's more or less all we can deduce about the circumstances of death at this stage.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
God the silly names. I love it. Guess my gut on the wife was on point at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well she certainly couldn't be more suspicious if she tried.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If he was stabbed in the back while sleeping on the chair, then there would be blood all over it and a hole there too. She's a bit rubbish.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
:dogbutton:

- -

My guess for method of entry, assuming it wasn't the wife, would be "was in the closet before beforehand."

Crosspeice posted:

If he was stabbed in the back while sleeping on the chair, then there would be blood all over it and a hole there too. She's a bit rubbish.

If he fell out of his chair as he fell asleep, that might explain it - considering the amount of booze he was drinking that night.

The murder weapon might be in the towel on the balcony - that'd explain the blood on it.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I think they're hinting at the murder weapon being a bundle of uncooked spaghetti, which was then boiled to remove any trace of blood from it. Which makes no sense -- uncooked spaghetti would be brittle and would shatter before you could stab someone with it, even if it was rolled up in a bundle -- but that would explain the pasta boiling in a pot, in an apartment where they ate nothing but take-out.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe the murder weapon is in the pot of spaghetti? Pretty sure they would have mentioned that though.

Not sure what I'll do if the card in the bathroom turns out to be our murder weapon.

Glad to see someone is taking another crack at this game, I don't think the last attempt made it past the first case.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Thanks to this LP I downloaded the game, and since then bought the cases after playing through these free ones. Holy crud this game is shaping up to be amazing.

Also this game has some of the best music ever, but then again I love jazz like crazy.

So yeah this was mostly a post to tell you that your LP got me to buy the game. I'd speculate with everyone but I already finished this case.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tax Refund posted:

I think they're hinting at the murder weapon being a bundle of uncooked spaghetti, which was then boiled to remove any trace of blood from it. Which makes no sense -- uncooked spaghetti would be brittle and would shatter before you could stab someone with it, even if it was rolled up in a bundle -- but that would explain the pasta boiling in a pot, in an apartment where they ate nothing but take-out.

Maybe it was frozen into a knife or something?

Wait, ice is also kind of poo poo as a stab delivery vehicle too, right?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

I get that Potsby's knees were weak and his arms were heavy, there might even be vomit on his sweater already, but that's a tad ridiculous.

The weapon might be hidden in the spaghetti, but not even frozen spaghetti has enough density to penetrate a person's skin, even as a bundle.

Glazius posted:

Maybe it was frozen into a knife or something?

Wait, ice is also kind of poo poo as a stab delivery vehicle too, right?

Ice could work - there's an old trick in a Sherlock Holmes game I forget where the killer filled a knife mould with water and then froze it from the outside, making a very short-term weapon with the properties of a knife.
A stretch, but the spaghetti could be done do cover up the disposal, although the shower would have worked just as well.

Cooking related spoiler:
In 99% of Spaghetti related dishes, you begin boiling it after you've begun prepping the sauce, often when the meat is cooked and ready to be mixed in with the sauce.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If this wasn't the easy case, it'd be kind of neat if Mrs. X turned out to not be a killer.

It's a bit disappointing that we're forced to the conclusion that the weapon had to be left in the room, merely because one random person who had ample opportunity to dispose of it did not have it on him. That's not very good sleuthing.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
This is a really charming game, Hydro, thanks for doing it. :allears: I'm terrible at them so I won't be jumping in very often, but rest assured I'm following along!

The fact that Goldie is already dating Lion-O is pretty freaking suspicious. I take it he's certain to not be involved because he wasn't one of the 3 choices, right?

I actually hadn't thought anything about the spaghetti until you guys started bringing it up (to reiterate: terrible at them :sweatdrop: ), but once you did I started thinking the same as Glazius, use ice to do the stabbing then boil it away. Anybody watched enough CSI to know offhand if that would evaporate blood too or not? I figure it'd leave some residue.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I'm really glad to hear that people are enjoying the game. :)

Method of Entry:

So, we're trying to work out how the killer got into the room, are we?

That's right.

Now I am quite sure that could not be more plain. Why, you only need to look at all that shattered glass to know that the outlaw came in through the window.

And that's the only possible way in, is it?

Isn't there some other way into the flat other than through the window?

I'll have a look around and see what I can figure out, Prof.

If it wasn't the window, then about the only other possibility is the front door.

If the door were locked and the key were inside the flat at the time, then--

Then it's plain to see that the outlaw did not walk in through the front door, as I have already said.

Which, I do declare, brings us back to the window.

I find that hard to believe. Lucy, what do you think?

I can assure you, I had never set eyes on that man before. And neither had mah husband. Why would Jack let a stranger into his home? Or are you implying that I let the outlaw inside mahself?

Indeed, it seems unlikely that Nicks could have gained entry to the flat through the front door.

I think we should examine the window in more detail, Lucy.

Aye, alright, Prof. I'll give it a good going over.

It were obviously smashed deliberately, eh?

Can you ascertain from which side the window was broken?

It were broken from the outside. From the balcony.

And how do we know this?

Because of where the broken glass fell. Most of it's inside the room.

Now at last will you believe mah statement is true? The outlaw broke into mah home and murdered mah husband.

Prof, it does se--

I have not finished, young lady! There is a piece of vital evidence on the balcony. Something left behind by the outlaw.

But of course, you would have already have noticed something so obvious now, wouldn't you?

Ee, there's a blood-stained towel ont' balcony here, Prof!

Mah, is that so?

It would appear to be a towel used to wipe the blood off the murder weapon.

But why's it been chucked out there ont' balcony?

Now surely you can figure that out without mah help.

Well, maybe, aye...

There is one thing I'd like to double-check.

Let's assume that the culprit did indeed break the window in order to get inside the flat. The loud noise would have alerted everyone to the intrusion.

It was locked? Can you be sure of that?

I do declare I can. I distinctly remember it was locked from before.

Very reassuring to know. I'm pleased we could clear that up. Lucy, make a record of it, would you? It's fundamental to the case.

I am delighted that we are finally seeing eye to eye.

Keep the locked door in mind, Lucy.

I'll make a mental note, Prof.

There's one more thing I'd like to try clear up if I may?

I didn't get a screenshot unfortunately, but Alfendi does his "probability of guilt percentage" eye sparkle here.

And what might that be?

I most certainly did. Why, I still remember it now. I was in the shower at the time.

Then I heard mah husband scream. I came running out of the bathroom and I saw the outlaw.

And you stand by your statement? That's exactly what happened?

Well! I hope you are not implying that I am a liar, Inspector?

I merely wanted to confirm the accuracy of your very important statement. Thank you very much.

Well, I do believe the 'issues' that were troubling you are no more. We have proven that outlaw is guilty.

Oh, aye?

What exactly are you trying to say?

The victim were taken by surprise and stabbed from behind. Smashing your way through a window hardly qualifies for a surprise attack, does it?

Mah poor, sorry simpleton. You still fail to understand. Mah husband was sleeping at the time. He did not hear the outlaw breaking the window.

Give over. Are you really--

Are you doubting me?

That in itself is surely compelling evidence that the outlaw broke in to mah home as I have described.

Er...

There can be no more room for doubt!

I would kindly request that you allow me to go back to mah home now, Inspector.

Of course. Thank you very much for your cooperation. We shall get our files in order now after all the new information you've given us.

I believe that would be for the best. Such a simple case as this can surely be laid to rest now.

Yes?

If we happen across any other awkward issues, I presume you wouldn't mind helping us again?

...As long as you are not wasting mah time Inspector, I should be glad to help.

Thank you. I wish you all the best.

Much obliged, I'm sure.

Potsby-Mahn leaves.

We weren't going to reach a conclusion like that. She knows that we suspect her.

Sorry, Prof. That's my fault. I got a bit het up.

It's probably at least partly because I first played this game straight after I'd finished Lost/Unwound Future, but I can't help but appreciate how Alfendi is completely calm and even understanding about Lucy losing her cool.

Aye, likewise. You can tell she's hiding summat by the way she's that quick to get mardy.

Mardy is slang for sulky or uncooperative.

I'm convinced she hid the murder weapon somewhere in the room after she killed her husband. She wouldn't have had time to dispose of it outside before the caretaker arrived.

Even though the caretaker came running because he heard the window being smashed?

Then she arranged the scene to look like an intruder broke in from outside. However, there's an inconsistency between the course of events she describes and the scene she set up.

Is there?

Of course. There's no such thing as a perfect lie, Lucy. The murder weapon is somewhere at the scene of the crime without question.

There are two issues: the murder weapon, and the way she set the scene to make it look like a break-in.

Right, okay.

The murder weapon:

Let's see if we can find the murder weapon the suspect used. She must have hidden it somewhere here. Judging by the shape of the victim's wound, we're looking for something long and thin.

Long and thin? Right, I'll get looking.

Need to check the clock here.

This clock's got me thinking, Prof.

Hmm...You'd better have a closer look at it then, Lucy. You might be on to something.

So, you've had a chance to examine the clock in detail now.

Aye.

And what do you think? Is there any way it could have been used as the murder weapon at all?

It's long and thin alright. And pretty sharp too.

If you look closely, you'll notice it's also slightly bent.

Aye, there's every chance this is what were used to do the fellow in!

I agree.

Which means the murder weapon were in the room right from the start.

And having committed the crime, the perpetrator hid it on the premises.

In other words, the culprit was in the flat before, during and after the crime. An excellent find, Lucy.

Ee, I'm that chuffed!

Chuffed is basically slang for pleased.

Ask forensics to go over the clock hand again, would you? If it really was the murder weapon, they should be able to find traces of Potsby's blood on it.

Will do!

Decisive Evidence:

We need to locate some irrefutable proof that shows Potsby-Mahn's statement to be false.

I hear you, Prof!

Eh-up, what about this, Prof? This could be it!

The broken glass? Which statement would that be inconsistent with?

You've got it!

I've got it!

Yes, the broken glass is quite clearly inconsistent with that statement.

We've backed Potsby-Mahn into a corner now. This proves she's been lying.

Of course, you appreciate what the inconsistency is exactly, don't you?

Alfendi may think that Lucy has sharp instincts, but with the way he occasionally asks Lucy if she understands what the contradiction at the time is, I can't help but think he's got some reservations about her actual ability at spotting contradictions.

Aye. The bits of broken glass are on top of the body, not underneath it. That's all wrong.

Precisely. This puts paid to the idea than an intruder broke in via the window and killed Potsby. Well spotted, Lucy.

Hee hee.

Music Stops.

That's everything. We've tied up all the loose ends, haven't we?

Yes. In theory, at least.

How do you mean?

Why do you say that?

Never mind. Why don't you call our suspect in and we'll take it from there?

This time we'll get her to tell us the truth, whether she likes it or not.

Ee, I can't wait!

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
... I never would have guessed the murder weapon was that of all things.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Sheesh Lucy. Throwing down insults.

I like to think Mr. Layton doesn't reprimand her for her enthusiasm because it complements his own calm nature well. Taking an apprentice wouldn't be too useful if they didn't bring anything to the table, so to speak.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm right chuffed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Double-barreled bimbo" is a pretty great insult, to be honest. It's looking really bad for the wife, here's hoping for a turnaround that pins it on the guard. I love being retroactively right.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Definitely didn't see the clock hand coming there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder what Alfendi is going to do. That line from the beginning of the case has me curious.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I didn't even know there was a clock in the room.

Huh.

Also, am I the only one slightly wierded out by Bing?
Anyone?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Trollhawke posted:

I didn't even know there was a clock in the room.

Huh.

Also, am I the only one slightly wierded out by Bing?
Anyone?

We aren't talking about Bing.

We aren't talking about Bing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But seriously, let's pretend that never happened.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Oh my--Keep your furry friend under control!

Well, I do declare! Mah 'furry friend' as you put it does have a name, Ms Baker. Bingo. But I call him Bing.

Well, I can't say I approve of the collar, but I hope that chain's a good'un!

At the risk of repeating myself, Ms Potsby-Mahn, would you mind, er...?

Yes, yes, I know. Bing, go wait for me in the car, boy. The trunk's open.

I am sure the good Inspector will not be keeping me long.

Arf, arf!

Bing leaves.

I always go to the park with Bing around this time of day.

Don't worry, Ms Potsby-Mahn. I'm fairly sure this'll be the last time we meet.

So what exactly requires mah attention now, may I ask?

If you'll cast your mind back to our previous conversation, we established that the victim was...

The victim was stabbed from behind without warning. He was caught completely unawares. Aye, Mr Potsby had no idea what were coming.

Of course, we cannot deny the possibility that your husband was indeed asleep at the time.

However, if that were truly the case, it would be at odds with something else that happened.

In other words...

Because the window were shattered!

All that glass breaking would've made a right din and no mistake.

I do declare, you are as slow as a snail sometimes, Ms Baker! Mah husband was quite exhausted that day. Why, he was sleeping like a log.

Well, there's nowt more to be said on that front then, I suppose.

And it was on hearing that scream that you ran out of the bathroom to see what was happening?

That is correct. Mah sudden arrival scared the outlaw away before he could steal even a bitty bit.

I know it was that thief they caught in the grounds.

I see.

I have never said anything to the contrary.

So, if I may just recap?

You were having a shower in the bathroom when you heard the sound of glass shattering. Immediately after that, you heard Mr Potsby scream.

That's what you're telling us happened, are you? It's also what you said in your statement.

Well! A liar?

Indeed. And there is a certain piece of evidence on the scene that will prove me right.

Well, I am all ears. If this evidence really exists, then I sure would like to see it.

Oh, that is hogwash! All these l'il bitty bits of glass prove nothing of the sort!

Would you care to explain, Lucy?

Tell Ms Potsby-Mahn exactly what the broken glass reveals.

What order of events?

You claim you heard the window smash first and then your husband scream.

Ah...

But they aren't, are they, Ms Potsby-Mahn? They're on top.

So it would seem you have deliberately given a false statement.

I, I have done no such thing! Why, I have simply confused matters in mah head.

I am all torn up about the loss of mah dear husband. This simple misunderstanding proves nothing.

I retract mah statement. I simply cannot remember if I heard the scream or the glass breaking first.

Oh, you little weasel!

Let us assume for a moment that you were indeed mistaken. That introduces a new complication.

It does?

Indeed. Because we know that the door and the window were both locked before the incident occurred.

What I'm trying to say is simple.

We can now be sure that the true perpetrator of this crime is...

At the time of the attack, the window and the door of the flat were locked.

The only other way in were by smashing the window. But we know that happened after the victim died.

With no method of entry available, the only conclusion is that the culprit did not come in from outside.

No, the person who did this was in the flat from the outset.

Am I to understand that you are accusing me of murder because I was in mah home the whole time?

Aye, you are to understand that.

Then I must remind you of something of vital importance that you appear to have overlooked.

Oh? What's that?

Oh, just a l'il bitty thing called a murder weapon! I hear it told that you have still not found it anywhere inside the apartment. Which I never left.

Indeed, I confess to having been stumped by that conundrum.

Huh? I, I beg your pardon?

I, I do declare...Why, that's simply not possible...

You didn't dispose of the murder weapon outside the flat. No, it's been in there the entire time.

You're starting to rile me, Inspector! Tell me where this murder weapon I am supposed to have used is.

The murder weapon were hidden int' clock!

Wha--Are you quite sure?

Sure as eggs are eggs, aye! It were the minute hand of the clock that were used to kill Mr Potsby.

Well, the shape of the hand matches the victim's wound perfectly.

Aye, you haven't got long to wriggle your way out of this one.

Telephone rings.

Speak of the devil...

Hello?

Lucy is off taking the phone call.

Well, it is almost...

You admit it now?

I don't think so, do you, Inspector?

What's the matter?

The results! From forensics! They found nowt on it! No traces of blood whatsoever!

Really?

Mah, what a terrible shame.

No. I must have missed something.

Prof?

Can I assume we are finally on the same page now, Inspector? That outlaw, Nicks, is responsible for mah husband's death, and I am no longer under suspicion?

If you could just fill out these forms for me with words to that effect...

Forms?

Have you got no shame at all? We're talking about a man's life!

Why, you have no idea what you are talking about, missy! Jack doted on me.

How do you have the gall to say summat like that?

Music Stops.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Watashi wa L(fendi) desu.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very charming game but so far I'm rather disappointed by them going for the really obvious solutions. Well, the clock aside.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

It's a very charming game but so far I'm rather disappointed by them going for the really obvious solutions. Well, the clock aside.

It is the first two cases of the game, I'm sure we'll reach phoenix wright levels of convoluted soon enough

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:stare:

Well, this should be interesting.

ArchiveLurker
Sep 5, 2009
Looks like the Ace Attorney team's love of puns rubbed off onto Level5.
I still can't believe they decided to name the first victim after a goddamn sandwich. Sandy Aldwich

Wonder if Alfendi Hyde is going to result in any changes to mechanics or if it's just build up for the twist that started the game.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
If the minute hand wasn't a match then that leads to two main possibilities. Either the minute hand was cleaned prior to it's replacement in the clock which would provide an explanation for the towel or the murder weapon was hidden in the shower, which I don't believe we've been able to examine yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
From what her dialogue implies, they were on the right track about the murder weapon being hidden in the clock, but the minute hand wasn't the actual weapon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Or it is the weapon and she cleared it using boiled water.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Or it is the weapon and she cleared it using boiled water.

I do declare, that's quite impossible - surely a pot of suspiciously boiled water would have been noticed in the investigation before now? So she must be innocent, past a shadow of a doubt.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

:neckbeard:

I've not been posting because I bought and beat the game, so I don't want to drop any hints by mistake.

I'm just happy the best character is going to show up.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

I remember this being when I fell in love with this game :allears: You know I really, really like Alfendi a lot more than Layton. And not just because I think Layton is boring either--Alfendi is a pretty intelligent guy, but he's still nice to people around him while still having his fair share of quirks that don't make him a full on cookie cutter John Cena character. He is a man who prefers to order pizza than drink tea and he's the best.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

:suspense:
Well now,

Also, please don't be the spaghetti.

Please.

Actually, it makes one wonder if something the size of the weapon could be hid within bing's collar...

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Hm, not a bad idea.

Eh? Prof? Are you alright?

Lucy visibly flinches back from Alfendi here.

Don't get uppity with me now, Inspector!

Oh, but you enjoy it, don't you? You kill for money, but it's not the cash you're after, it's the kick.

Isn't it?

What are you on about Prof? What's got into you?

I can just imagine it...

I will not fall into your petty trap, Inspector! Need I remind you, that you still have not even found this murder weapon of which you speak?

And we never will.

Inspector, I do declare you have lost your mind.

Are you suggesting the murder weapon just vanished into thin air?

You'd be delighted if that's what we concluded, wouldn't you?

But let me put it another way. The weapon that was used to stab Jack Potsby didn't exactly vanish.

Eh? What, in a furnace or summat? Oh, hang on. I think I get it now. I know what happened!

The murder weapon must have been melted in this pot!

If you present the bath here, Alfendi concedes that it may potentially be possible to melt something in a bath, but since the weapon would have been covered in blood, and the bath was checked for traces of blood, it's not the right answer.

I, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Where's the cutlery? Where are the bowls? The pasta sauce?

I, I had intended to prepare those things later, but....

I don't think so!

No, the pasta was prepared for the sole purpose of the little disappearing act.

Oh, aye. I'm with you now, Prof.

The murder weapon was....

The weapon used to stab Jack Potsby to death were a knife made of ice!

Why, anyone with an ounce of horse sense can see this is just a fiction you have concocted.

Even if there was a knife made of ice like you say...it's gone now, has it not?

Well, no, perhaps not, but, er...

That looks painful.

Prof?

Pardon me, Inspector?

Are you back to normal now, Prof?

What are you two whispering about over there?

We're discussing the ice knife.

You are of course correct that the knife itself is no more.

I surely would like to see it!

Lucy, do you know what was used?

It were this damp piece of card that were used to mould the shape of the knife!

If you fail to pick up the card before now (you don't have to check the bathroom at all during the mandatory investigation), it will still appear as a piece of evidence here. This is a little odd, especially since the game does allow you to break off a confrontation to return to the crime scene if you want/need to do any further investigating.

Aye, if you fold it back up along the creases, let's see what you get...

Yes, you lined the mould with cling film or the like, then filled it and put it in the freezer to make your knife.

Why, it's nothing more than a coincidence! Anyone can see that.

We have more evidence against you. After you stabbed your husband, you used a towel to wipe the blood off the knife.

The towel we found ont' balcony!

Yes. And once you were satisfied you'd removed all the blood, you put the icy weapon in the boiling water.

I'm sure I do not follow!

In my experience, no one ever manages to remove all the traces of blood from a weapon. If you indeed dissolved the knife that killed your husband in boiling water...

Why, you little...

Lucy, have forensics go over the pot for us, will you?

Straight away, Prof.

Lucy briefly leaves and returns.

I spoke with forensics. They're on the case already.

Now we merely need to wait for the results.

I have no intention of admitting to anything, Inspector!

Unfortunately for you, there is no logical way in which you are not guilty.

If you will cast your mind back. We showed there was no way into the flat where the incident took place. The door and windows were locked.

Oh, please!

You admitted yourself that you did not leave the flat.

In your own words, 'the apartment which I never left'.

No, I...I...

Or is that another statement you would now like to retract?

I demand to see mah attorney! You cannot continue to question me in this way!

Certainly. Lucy, make the necessary arrangements, please.

Will do, Prof.

Why, to be accused because of such a petty l'il thing....

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The arrows continue being the best character. What's up with Hydefendi, though?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

His hair color changes between personalities, it seems.

The best guess I have is that Alfendi is either suffering from multiple personality disorder or has the spirit of an ancient Pharaoh that's good at cards games inside of his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Extremendi is already rad.

• Locked thread