Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Watching the westcoast broadcast, and man Icewave looks as good as anything I remember from any of the previous seasons. Nice carnage out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Jesus loving christ, its been decade and Nightmare still doesn't have a way to loving right itself

Thought that destruction of the tiny bot might been the single best hit I have ever seen on battlebots

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 22, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

keevo posted:

According to this Wiki page the Jay Leno Chinkilla bot was there! There's also a list of robots that are in the competition. Is Bronco built by the same people who made Toro because that robot was cool as hell.

http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Badnik96/(SPOILERS)_BattleBots_2015_Competitor_Chart

Also according to some Reddit user, one of the changes in rules is that flight and non-tethered projectiles is allowed. I don't think any of these bots can fly but god drat this needs to have another season so we can have flying robot battles.

I want to see a quadcopter with a machine gun next year

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tobias Grant posted:

No, what I'm thinking of was a somewhat floppy doll thing on top of a robot. Really I just want to watch the fight where that thing got completely tore up.

Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street?

https://youtu.be/d0TXhZrb2GQ?t=193

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WarLocke posted:

This was why I stopped watching the older iteration of the show. It seemed like every bot was just a wedge trying to ram up under another wedge bot.

Call me atavistic but the wholesale dismantling of bots and poo poo really adds to the show for me. That loving minibot :stare:

e: I know having a 'real' walker type bot would probably be way too fragile for this kind of stuff, but Wrecks was just kind of embarassing. Plan X didn't even have a blade on the spinner, it was like a block of wood on each end but Wrecks just gave that match away.

This is the design that Wrecks is based off of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxmJXRlsksY

Its cool because you need to put zero weight into moving your bot so it can all go into the blade. In theory, the force of the blade is enough to turn it and let it walk. Looks like it didn't scale up well

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 22, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I hope they post the fights that got cut online

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I would say that the box and net would fall under this category of banned weapons

quote:

Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves.

plus this one bans it in spirit

quote:

Squirting glue, throwing out fishing line, ball bearings and such

Though this is a pretty good catchall for any missed bullshit

quote:

These rules may change at any time with or without specific notice to you. Any changes made to these rules will be noted in a revised Design Rules document. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to read, understand, and comply with any and all rules provided herein or otherwise by BattleBots. It is strongly encouraged that you check the Design Rules often for any changes that may affect your design, build, and/or ability to compete in the Tournament. BattleBots reserves the right disqualify any team from the Tournament for any reason (including, without limitation, failure to meet safety and/or technical requirements) in its sole and absolute discretion

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 30, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

Vlad is another of those robots that has not survived over the years, sadly. Mechavore destroyed the chassis in season 3. It was retired and later sold. Last word on it is that it was being restored but that was in 2010 and the people that bought it (Team Tiki) have nothing about it on their website. Its too bad. It looked like a big goofy pillbug but it worked. And that srimech was loving cool even if it rarely got used.

It had a replacement, Vlad the Impaler II that never saw much success. It was sold after season 5 to another owner. Then Last Rites broke it.

Holy poo poo, that kept running after an insane amount of destruction. Like half of the chasis was gone, and it was still moving decently

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm gonna be going to it next week, really looking forward to it since I went to seasons 3-5 as a kid

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So follow up on what I said about going to the filming next week, my dad and I got tickets because one of the people who works for is on a team, but my dad couldn't remember which one.

Today my dad told me he remembered, and turns out the guy is on Team Inertia Labs

ANd he is gonna try to get us into the pit to hang out for a while :woop:

Its like I'm 13 all over again

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So, I just got back from a filming tonight, and I dont really want to say too much, other than I saw probably the single greatest moment in battlebots history tonight. I cant wait to watch that fight again.

Also, major props to the crew running it. They were really on the ball, and outside of one incident, they really kept down time to minimum. I would seriously recommend anyone in the LA area to try to go this weekend.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mashed_penguin posted:

Chomp's center of gravity just seems to be way too high for its narrow footprint and it doesn't looking like it has much armor. As soon as it meets a drum or horizontal spinner it is going to get torn apart.

I saw something from Reddit where Chomp has electro magnets built into it to give it more traction, but due to how the floor was constructed this year, they weren't nearly effective as they expected

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

GuavaMoment posted:

I understand it might not look like it, but there's a lot of engineering to be done to make a robot like Tombstone. It's far from lazy and might actually be one of the more labor intensive robots out there. Even after a good match Tombstone does a lot of unnoticeable damage to it's own frame, requiring lots of repairs.

I imagine if the new Battlebots seasons keep being successes then someday they might go back to the old system of having a few seeded robots and then a tournament to fill out the rest of the spots from anyone and everyone who's willing to show up. For the people who were there - how long was the filming of this season? Old Battlebots season 5 took a week but I imagine this one was only a few days at most?

I think it was Thursday - Sunday this year. I was there Friday night and got to see some really good fights (but mainly a lot super quick, violent knockouts).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

And purely ornamental flying flamethrowers.

I'm glad they got rid of the weight classes. Now that I've seen it without them, I wonder why they ever had them in the first place.

I wouldnt mid seeing middle weight return, that was always a great combo of weapons and no armor.

Aphrodite posted:

The robot used to have a lovely grappling hook on a string under there, so this is actually a major improvement.

Despite that its lifetime record was actually 8-7 through the original Battlebots run.
in the original series, a bot that could control a fight and force enemies into hazards were effective, especially in the lightweight class.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

howe_sam posted:

It looks like they interview both teams after the match and then air the one they felt was more interesting. Though I suppose the goons who were actually there are better equipped to answer that.

I can confirm this, we heard both interviews when I was there

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pretty much. It's a design from over a decade ago that perfectly reflects how things have changed. Lots of folks feel nostalgia for it but frankly its design is inherently flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcJLThWUCDk

It spent more time smacking itself against the floor than actually doing any real damage, or at least that's how it looked to me. Against something rugged and survivable like Beta I doubt it will last long.

I cant remember where I saw it, but this year, they actually addressed the where it always gets flipped by making its legs able to rotate, so it can operate inverted.

So this episode contained a bunch of the fights I saw in person during the filming, and I will say that the show failed to show how much excitement there was in the crowd over the whole rake bit. We had seen a bunch of fights with useless drones that night already, and they never really interacted with the robots much, so we didn't expect anything to happen, but people were just kind of going with it and it felt like a lot of people just wanted to see a drone get smashed. Like, a huge part of the crowd was chanting about it before the fight, and people lost their poo poo when it actually worked.

Plus, they gave a hilarious interview afterwards about buying the rake. Fun times :)

Also, the dudes behind us were soooo sad when Icewave self-destructed

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Yeah, they spent a good 10 minutes trying to fix it after the fight before giving up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I like Chomp because I one of the guys on the team works for my dad and got us tickets to the filming

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Chomp is a plucky li'l bot who has really exceeded my expectations and I'd be way in its corner if it wasn't so goddamned boring to watch.

How is it boring to watch, it the embodiment of :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Missed the first hour+, but congrats to Ray Billings, your bot owns and is very good at mulching other bots

• Locked thread