Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont like ahead/behind indicators. I think people should have to actually look to see if a car is catching them as a gameplay mechanism. With the occasional radio call from the pit lane with split times, or even a dynamic pit board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's a video game.

There are plenty of casual racing games on the consoles. I'm just advocating for the same information to be delivered in a more immersive way.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm all for a little proximity screen or GT5 arrows to make up for the lack of peripheral vision and whatnot. I was talking about

Fastguy -18345M
YOUR USERNAME
Slowguy + 145M

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

The game should be locked in cockpit mode only, is what you're saying.

In which case the proximity meters are ONLY used to tell that some dumb gently caress is trying to pass you on a corner that has no passing opportunities and he's 1 meter away from your right rear door trying to dive down the inside through your blind spot. Which is their only use now, no one uses them to avoid having to look behind them or whatever this story is.

Both you and cubevore confused what i meant, i guess i didnt articulate it properly. I'm all for proximity arrows to help situational awareness. I was talking about the unnamed GUI feature confirmed to return in forza 6 telling you the distance to the nearest car in the side bar, usually in meters or possibly feet. Nothing to do with proximity arrows.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I only race in cockpit mode so I'm acutely aware of the mirror because it's the only real method of situational awareness + the distance meter if you're using a wheel, because there is no thumbstick look functionality on wheels.

If you're just saying you don't like the boring numbers rather than something a bit more in-character (arrows or whatever) well, that's like, your opinion man, and you're welcome to it because I'm an advocate of immersion.

But Generic Arrow pointing left doesn't convey 'hey there's a car 3 feet away from you don't do anything weird' quite as immediately as "Distance to enemy Jaguar: 1 meter"

When they announced it was returning i imagined a scenerio where someone is in first, and i start throwing good laps together and catching them up. I'd rather they notice when the car suddenly grows bigger and bigger behind them, not have them see "oh, his number suddenly started to get smaller, better speed up".

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 1, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
That would be great. I'm not proposing forcing people to play Simsperg mode, but if there is a "casual" mode and a "flags and rules" mode you can opt into. Would people feel cheated because they feel entitled to enjoy all of the games content only in little crashy 3 lap bites?

Even if Gran Turismo has more cars and flags and rules, I hate the physics and controls compared to forza. It feels like too much tire grip with too little body roll effect. I traded my 360 for a ps3 to try it and regretted the poo poo out of it.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 1, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I see your point, but is it really Simsperg to have "a car is off the road ahead of you, temporary yellow flag icon pops on screen until he rejoins the road" or "when you beat a lunch of short casual races, longer more complex ones open up"? Just having optional modes or races for me in game will drive buyers away?

I think forza has had a liiiitle more Sim focus than you imply (forza 5 took a massive casual lurch). If you suggest I play Pcars or assetto corsa, what would you say if I suggested need for speed, or GRID?

I think it's obvious we want slightly different versions of forza. But in 3 and 4 they catered to both crowds. (Or you think I'm more Sim sperg than I do)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 1, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Someone who picks the cars must have a 94 miata. Traditionally they always put in the highest-trim and year for performance in a given body style. Same with the 79 camaro. Odd choices that stick out, but i dont mind.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've gotten all the DLC for the last 3 forzas and never felt ripped off. Ultimate for me

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I dug a bit deeper. Looks great. Why does this look so much better than Forza 5? Jesus. I love it.

Same reason forza 4 is better than forza 2. I knew as soon as they didn't have to produce a launch title with preproduction hardware they would knock it out of the park

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea but I don't care about earning cars. Everything ought to be accessible from the moment I boot up the game.

If you are that busy maybe video games in general are not for you.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Thats the one problem i have with forza, they seem to love supercars, new cars and limited edition cars. I dont want just a S2000CR, i want a base model AP1 AND AP2 as well, even if they look almost identical. Another one is the Skyline. GT is often mocked for having lots of cars, but having a GTR is not enough for me, i want a GTS 4 door, and a GTS-T for RWD fun. A camaro Z/28 instead of just a SS 35th anniversery edition; A 1979 honda civic, not a 2016 honda civic SI RR R. If this was even a little sub-menu that nobody noticed but me and everyone went on racing the best car i would be happy with that. In our forza 5 league this year i tried to pretend as hard as i could my GMC Syclone was a Chevy S10 :(

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 14, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Laserface posted:

The game you want is Gran Turismo.

But the playstation is sooooooo bad. And gran turismo somehow makes it worse. I dont think the japanese have the same hands or at least central nervous system that white people do, or something. The controls and physics feel awful to me, while forza feels just right.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:( No FC RX-7 again? If i had to have the crappy carb early one, or the turbo wedge from initial d i think its an easy decision. I think someone influencial on the staff owns an FB, and its triggered some kind of "Too many RX7's" policy decision.

edit: i think The GSL-SE has the 13b. My reading comprehension has failed me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Cubey posted:

hi i have a carbureted rx7, suck on my dick, oval office

Point A: I love the SA/FB and wish i had one, you have great taste in cars for driving one, i dont think you'd dispute its a crappy performance car. (In the same way that the Mercury capsule is a crappy performance spaceship)

I'm all for it being in the game, i'd even put it in my top 20 most wanted cars. But when they added it i felt like they took a look at the list of RX7s (and 8s) in the game and said "Wow, we dont want to do the GT skyline thing, remove one or two of them". And they did. So i have to ask myself: If i had to lose one of the three RX7s, which one would it be? Just speculating for the sake of speculation. I'm also happy with how the car list is shaping up.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 15, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I would assume that was one of many dumb aspects (the stupid tablet-style car selection menu being another) that was meant to cover up the game having fewer cars. If i set "French cars, under 2500 pounds, 4 cylinder, it might only have two or three cars in forza 4. In forza 5 that number would be 1 or 0 too often and that must look bad.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Something about the introduction of the 4WD swap made forza worse for me. I accept and love 4wd swaps when its a car where it makes sense (attaching a 4wd golf drivetrain to a faster, FWD golf). But just throwing it around willy nilly means lower class hoppers have been full of 4wd engine swapped hatchbacks for some time now.'

Barring a pair of forum build threads (in varying stages of completion) some cars are simply not swapped to 4wd, and i think it would be better to introduce trim levels just as cube suggested.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Yesss. You race on lime rock a lot early in Iracing and it's got a lot of fun qualities and corners. I love any track that goes right from a jump into a heavy braking zone :)

If I'm not mistaken, the Ford F100 has been in the last 2 or 3 forza games. I have one in 5 right now for online drifting in the falkin livery.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ugh, not a fan of that. Track is too short. Anything with decent speed is gonna be sub-one minute lap times. Imagine that with 24-car grids. Gonna be a Trulli Train around the whole track. Track is narrow and difficult to pass on.

In isolation this is exactly what i want. I love love love driving in traffic. What i dont like is being in third while the top 2 drive away from me at an equal rate to the bottom 5 falling behind. Thats just lonely hot lapping, and is usually my Forza 5 experience. 1 mile and less tracks let me lap people at least so i get to see other cars on track.

Long beach west is my favorite track in the game because they removed Tsukba short.

It is, but if you think about it, it makes sense. People love Lime Rock, a simple google or youtube search can show you that. But short, narrow tracks don't suit Forza well. Think about how much of a shitshow a public lobby can be with people trying to pass on the Ring. A narrow track can work in something like iRacing where there are consequences for wrecking, but people in Forza don't drive like that.

Calling it now, this will be one of the worst lobby tracks in the game.

If you race with pubbies you have to expect car contact (often however they surprise me with clean races). Just enjoy what you can and let the crashes run off of you like water from a duck. I'd love to see some form of "opt-in" safety rating system or a similar but less intrusive/harsh gameplay mechanic to encourage clean driving. But in a world where the game auto-updates your car to the top of the class and throws you into a 5 minute race, i dont even bother to hope.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 22, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If you say so (eat a dick)

I dont usually get to race in traffic because of the aforementioned long tracks :)

L_Harrison posted:

Goddamnit, I know they probably won't do it, but it'd be so perfect if we got the Robby Gordon Stadium Truck from Horizon 2 and they added a Long Beach with the ramps and such from the real race there. It shouldn't even be that hard to do.

(And then we get 20 goons to race there in Bugattis :getin:)

I'd be shocked if something like this doesnt end up in game eventually. They had plenty of off-road trucks in horizon 2, and already have the tech to place things on track from that top gear london challenge level. Judging by how many DLC cars seem to be ending up in 6, the system in place for creating cars compatible with multiple games would make it a waste not to put in a few "Island of storms" DLC vehicles. Veyrons, goons and ramps do sound like good fun.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 22, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I have a pet theory that laser scanning tracks is a lot easier than creating all the detail by hand with artists. Original tracks seem to be falling away, and the most recent ones i dont like (Bernie's alps). Camino Viejo/Monserrat Test track was one of my favorites. Either one was a lot of fun to race on, but When i did the "Extreme" version for the first time and it made a hard right onto another track i'd raced on :woop:

Is Tsukuba unlikely to return?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Still no FC RX-7. I'm starting to get worried. For me it was the forza 5 omission i missed the most.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I dont really understand them adding SUV's and trucks to the game. I certainly like variety, but for every time i play cat and mouse or do a fun goon race with trucks, there are 100 times some idiot in the public hoppers uses a jeep cherokee SRT-8 to ram me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
gutbomb and i were going to race around 3 or 4 if anyone wants to hop on and do some dice racing.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The nurburgring can suck it, i want this track in forza. (Minus the oncoming motorcycles, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm49tBMKE64&t=60s

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 2, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
TIL: Sonoma/infineon wasnt a snake track. Pouring one out for tsukuba. You've betrayed the best motoring US/CDN crowd, miKKKro$ofT!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I want monaco so bad. I dont think i'd ever drive anything else. (Especially with a longer loop up into and down the mountain)

Pau would be nice, too.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
*delayed reaction spit-take*

MONZA!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi75ayAooGI&t=50s

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Why is brands hatch beloved? I dont watch a racing series that races there and have never owned a game with it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The laguna seca of england?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Im so poor im going to have to get the cheapest edition (ill likely just buy it digital). What am i really losing out on?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
They could always go for more detail on modeling, like 3d physically modeled suspenson and steering geometry stuff and mounts and joints. Iike the 4-5 bump in detail that allowed 5 to have open wheel cars

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'm extra poor this year so I'm getting standard. I'll get the DLC a month later

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are we going to get the Old Mulsanne without the chicanes?

They seem pretty good about including all the major track configurations. Just ask me from the past, the first time I went into a wall on the back straight at road america. "Huh? Since when is there a left here"?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Leather Bear posted:

Ya mods are solely for single player that have zero bearing on anything but earning credits. It's additive to the game. r/forza thinks this is nothing but a ploy to get forza away from any sort of sim trappings.

I swear the sim community for any genre has an awful huge boner for validation.

I dont want forza to shy any more away from motorsport simulation then it already has, but the mods system doesnt bother me at all. if they could add dorky sim stuff like flag rules and races that require pit stops (faster tire wear would be needed) in some gameplay-friendly way that people arent forced to use, i'd personally be a lot happier.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
And the NB miata, and the first one in any forza that isnt a lame right hand drive version. :woop:

edit: 80s civic, early 70s mazda cosmo that hasnt been seen outside gran turismo, SC300, LM002. The race cars are meh but there are some golden nuggets.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 19, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
They are boring to look at and dont get me excited, but they are easy to drive and fun to race. Like i said im more excited about slow cars.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

If they don't change the car select screen from a line of all the cars, like FM5, to a line of the manufacturers, like in FM4, I will be super pissed. It sucks to have to hit the trigger a ton of times just to look at your Volkswagens, etc. Hopefully they only put that in 5 as some sort of "trick" due to the lower number of cars at launch.

Its worse on my xbone, because the image for the cars might take 10 seconds to load, so i'm scrolling with a blank screen through a series of blank thumbnails by memory, and/or the little text in the upper corner. I think it was becuase they were pushing windows 8 when forza and the xbone was in development, and it was trendy in-house to make everything "tiles" for easier touch screen functionality. Obviously they had to roll that back for windows 10 somewhat. (And guess what likely wont be in the xbone OS update they are starting to roll out)

(Yes, a tablet-style operating system on your living room gaming system. Makes total sense. I could use the kinect i guess if that didnt break in the first 2 months)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 19, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
With every new forza game i am shocked that the 1979 camaro Z28 is still on the list, when the much more classic and better performing 1970 model is in the game, along with a selection of trans ams. Its a jimmy carter muscle car nobody likes with about as much power as a miata and a lot less speed.

On the other hand, i have this weird looking storage shelf sitting in the garage:

I hope they never remove it, and their "make models we copy/paste between games" model could make that happen.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think instead they are giving you the option to turn down the rear end in a top hat level on the drivatars this time. I wouldnt count on more laps. Sadly, I think people want to pass cars, not race them.

• Locked thread