Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Harvey/Louis feuds are getting downright comical at this point. What is that, the 5th? 6th? time Harvey has given Louis a sincere apology only to have it be nullified immediately? I still really like this show and having Wendell Pierce, John Pyper-Ferguson, and Aloma Wright will certainly help this season, but man they could really use a new hat to pull story ideas out of.

Hell even just Louis+Donna vs Harvey vs Soloff could've been kind of neat, but they still turned that into the same petty feud that it always ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

FamDav posted:

wow harv youre really taking a turn for the better I-

"Hey, give me a few minutes. I gotta take care of something"

:ohdear:

"Hold on I gotta go generate some drama for the next episode real quick since we took care of that other thing."

Also I like that Mike is finally just literally Erin Brockovich.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah the show continues to knock it out of the park with guest stars and the minor characters. It's a shame that they can't seem to think of more interesting things for the main cast to do.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PhazonLink posted:

The mcdonalds coffee thing was legit. gently caress keeping that lie going.

Yeah I thought them referencing that as if it was the bullshit lie that people now think it is was kind of gross too. And while I originally liked the Harvey-at-the-psychiatrist angle as a way to get more out of his character, the constant anger tantrums and storming out before coming back is getting kind of tiresome. That's what the show has done with literally every other relationship too, and it'd be nice if they got away from that even for an episode or two.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

patentmagus posted:

I'm getting really tired of Harvey threatening to kick people's asses. He's going past dick waving to just being a dick.

Yeah the whole kicking that dude's rear end thing seemed wildly inappropriate considering he's still apparently their client and freaking came in to the office, obviously to ask for something.

Also glad they avoided the whole potential Donna vs new secretary feud. I groaned when they had their first scene together and it looked like they might get off on the wrong foot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Harvey not wanting to date Amy Acker is the most unrealistic thing so far in a TV show featuring a literal wizard lawyer who knows everything and faked going to Harvard.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Schiavona posted:

AND ~~THE SECRET~~ PLOTLINE IS BACK BABY

Holyshoot posted:

Not surprised since it had been a while.

It's because the season or mid-season or whatever finale is coming up in like two episodes and the USA Show Formula dictates that the show has to do its obligatory 2 episodes that deal with the main plot contrivance of the show before going back to the usual weekly stuff.

Shame that Jack's apparently going to be blackmailed into being the bad guy, I liked his arc and felt like him going from an outsider who sees Harvey/Jessica do ridiculous poo poo every single week into a cooperative partner once he sees that ok maybe they at least know what they're doing was one of the show's more natural character progressions. RIP John Pyper-Ferguson, onto the next show you go.

Also I think I'm finally past the breaking point with Louis and Harvey. It is beyond ridiculous now. At this point they've been best friends and worst enemies a dozen times over and have both acted like god drat children so there is just zero tension there left and I can't really be bothered to care about either of their arcs any more. Next week's episode will have Harvey announce either that he's been seeing a psychiatrist or that he's been having panic attacks, and Louis will know he wasn't lying and they'll be best friends again because they'll need to work together to take down Hardman (again) or Soloff, until a couple of episodes into the next season when they'll fight again after Harvey steals Louis's bagel or something. Can't wait :what:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually don't mind the ~*~Mike's Secret~*~ stuff this time around as much because at least it finally feels like it matters for the characters. Before you had all this drama about whether someone will find out or not and it always had zero tension to it because you knew the main character of the TV show isn't going to go to jail forever. At least now it feels like it has the potential to have some serious consequences for the characters, even if it ultimately doesn't because it's still just a stereotypical USA show.

Only thing that bugged me about the last episode was that this show is continuing its tendency to have everyone handle everything in the most dramatic, seemingly least-thought-out way possible. I don't see why Jack couldn't have just told Jessica that Hardman has something on him and that he was going to make this move because he had no choice. He would have still had to make the move, he would still ultimately be against Jessica & Co, but at least his sympathetic turn would have had a lasting impact and we'd actually feel bad for the guy for being put in this position. Instead he's just apparently back to being a huge dick and having him make up with Mike, Louis, Harvey, and Jessica is just immediately thrown out the window.

This show in general has a tendency to just have people's entire personalities/moods flip at the drop of a hat, and it's starting to be a bit of a bummer. It's like it doesn't matter what happened in the last two, three, four episodes because the next episode might just have any random character get in a fight with someone else. They could really use a slower half-season or even mini-arc where they just have some cases and everyone deals with their poo poo once and for all before moving on to some new challenge/adversary/problem instead of just recycling Mike's Secret and Hardman for another 4-5 seasons before this show is mercifully cancelled.

VDay fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 21, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh my god they're literally just doing the same poo poo they've already done in past seasons over again. The episode had some nice, touching moments but I actually laughed out loud when Mike got arrested in the last scene. Like, really? Just going to play this card again? After Mike quit again? After Jessica won a vote over Hardman to stay in charge again? At this point I'd be ok with them all quitting and just going to Miami to become concierge legal consultants just for the sake of giving these characters something new to do. I was actually all set for them to do like a 3-4 year time skip and start next season off with Mike and Harvey working together at their own firm but nope, just going to deal with Mike getting arrested again I guess.

Also I know this is kind of an unfair game to play since it's a TV show, but it's hilarious to think about what a gigantic clusterfuck Jessica's firm is on a week-to-week basis. Like she just won a vote of no confidence and convinced her partners that she should stay in charge...and then a junior partner is immediately arrested for fraud, a named partner resigns out of the blue, and a senior partner (Jack) is presumably going to be fired. That's gotta be great for company morale. Hell Jack should just call that vote again, I'm pretty sure he'd win.

Despite my complaints I still enjoy watching this but maaaaaaan I don't remember the last time a show decided to just spin its wheels for a season this hard.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 27, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Haha holy poo poo that's kind of incredible.

"Yeah no we don't have poo poo. I have no idea how we even get this far!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The problem with your theories is that the show is completely arbitrary when it decides what is and isn't a big deal in terms of the law. The case is just as likely to be solved with a boxing match between the Evil Opposing Lawyer #42414 and Donna as it is with actual logic or law. At least this time there's kind of almost real stakes involved and this will presumably finally put an end to the whole Mike drama once and for all. They're going to have to figure out a new go-to problem for next season's finales. Or they'll just have someone come after The Firm or Jessica again. Hey as long as it stays fun...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair we still have no idea if she actually came forward. Could be someone else figured it out and sent an email pretending to be her, could be some weird bluff, etc. Kind of depends on whether a judge would give them those subpoenas without her admitting she wrote the letter in person, but the show's had much goofier situations work out just fine before. Then again the show loves to poo poo on Louis so it probably was her and only because he went to go see her.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Plucky Brit posted:

They seem to be going all-out to make the government lawyers utter bastards. I suppose that's the easiest way for people to be supportive of a fraud and the people covering for him.

To be fair pretty much everyone on the show has been a complete and utter rear end in a top hat the last couple of episodes. Like even accounting for the understandable stress everyone's under the tension and constant blowing up at each other feels really forced.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

patentmagus posted:

Also - I hope Louis or someone, recorded that little porch step meeting at the end of the show. The DA directly violated a court order but asserted "You won't tell anyone because of what I'm going to say!"

Bullshit. Throw her under the bus. Have her sanctioned and removed from the case. It's not enough to disbar her, but it will really piss off the judge. After all, she went out of her way to violate the court order and acknowledged the court order while violating it.

Yeah I've suspended my disbelief about the actual practice of law for this show because it's basically the equivalent of that mock trial you did in your 6th grade social studies class, but if they just pretend that this didn't happen it'll be too loving much. Like she straight up tried to intimidate him during a trial with an active restraint order in place. Like, come the gently caress on show, you've got to at least try to pretend that some laws exist in this magical TV universe you've set up. Even by the show's "creative" interpretation of the law what she did is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that it was all about her pressuring Louis about how he tampered with a witness just makes it that much more hilarious.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

patentmagus posted:

Wow - the dearth of comments after last night's show indicates how the audience numbers must be dropping.

I'd say it's more a reflection of the fact that there just isn't much to say this season. Another episode where people randomly explode at each other, another episode where Louis goes back and forth over whether to betray everyone or not, another episode of Mike and Harvey doing basically illegal things, and another episode where there's a DRAMATIC CLIFFHANGER that will probably be resolved in pretty much the way everyone expects in the first 10 minutes of the next episode.

The prosecutor apparently getting completely away with trying to blatantly intimidate Louis is kind of ridiculous and the only part that even really stood out to me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that line was hilarious. Like the entire first season and maybe even most of season 2 is specifically about what a huge rear end in a top hat Harvey is and how he's willing to gently caress over anyone to win and Mike having to adjust to that since he just wants to Do The Right Thing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah props to them for actually changing things up a bit. I mean we'll see if that lasts or makes any meaningful difference to the show but at least we're not getting the usual last-second bullshit rabbit being pulled out of a hat. I love that people at the firm acted realistically for once and got the gently caress out the second they finally could. It's about time the show acknowledged what a hot mess that whole situation is.

Also I feel bad for Meghan Markle, Rachel is the worst-written character on the show and just alternates between doing something dumb and getting poo poo on for no reason. I like how they managed to guilt-trip her for being sad for a day when Mike first told her he would've been guilty. Like come on you're already making GBS threads on her character with the constant switches between Mike going to jail and the wedding, did we really need a scene where she apologizes to him?

Still, surprisingly looking forward to next season so good job show I guess. Hopefully they take the opportunity to get back to more lighthearted shenanigans instead of making the entire next season a dark, depressing look at how hard being in jail is. Speaking of which I like how they're treating Mike's two years as if he's going away forever to Gitmo. I mean it sucks for any relationship but it's 2 years... Not exactly an insurmountable challenge considering she can visit him and will be busy in law school anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah he's super done as a lawyer, unless the show just totally says gently caress it. But considering that we're apparently not getting the whole jailhouse lawyer thing next season it seems like they're going another direction with it.

I do wonder what they're going to do with Pearson/Specter/Litt though. Like the firm is super hosed, but I don't know if the show will really follow through on that. I mean it would be comical if they managed to ever get a client again considering how apparently Mike being a fraud suddenly became the world's worst kept secret despite the fact that no one had any reason to doubt him at all. Then again the show's also kind of ignored the fact that the firm has gone through some insanely quick changes in management without really blinking an eye so maybe they'll just pretend that this is a temporary setback.

• Locked thread