Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Welcome! To the Official Imp Zone Metal Gear Simulplay! To prepare for the imminent release of 2015's GOTY Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I think it's a good idea to encourage everyone to play through the Metal Gear series, whether it's their first time through or their 10th. Metal Gear is the greatest series in gaming and MGSV may end up being the best game released this decade, and gamers old and new should be ready to enjoy the incredible experience.

You don't have to be participating in the simulplay to talk about Metal Gear here, since this will be the general Metal Gear thread until The Phantom Pain finally releases. If you're participating, let us all know what you'll be playing, how you'll be playing them and how you're enjoying the game. If even one person plays through MGS1 for the first time because of this thread, I'll be extremely happy.

Ways to Play
The best option is The Legacy Collection if you have a PS3. You can buy it here for $30 http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B00CTKHXFO , along with Revengeance for 9 dollars here http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Ri...tal+gear+rising . It includes all 4 Metal Gear Solid games, the first two games in their original MSX2 format and Peace Walker. Ground Zeroes was free for PS+ players last month and could also be purchased for 5 dollars during the Steam sale, and is probably relatively cheap right at this point. Otherwise, emulation is always an option. If you don't have a PS3 I do not know how you'll be playing MGS4, but really, you could probably pick up the Legacy Collection and a used PS3 for <150$, which is hundreds of hours of the best gaming has to offer. Avoid the old PC ports, as I've heard reports that they are awful and likely won't really work on modern machines regardless.

For those who have never played before, I would suggest playing the games in release order for the best first experience. For those who have played Metal Gear before, playing through the games in chronological order can be a unique way to see the Metal Gear story develop (this is how I will be participating).

Release Order: MG, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4, MGSPW, MGR, GZ

Chronological Order: MGS3, MGSPW, GZ, MG, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4, MGR

The Games

Metal Gear
Platform: MSX2
Release Year: 1987
Chronological Year: 1995

"THIS IS BIG BOSS...
OPERATION INTRUDE N313
PENETRATE THE ENEMY'S
OUTER HEAVEN AND
DESTROY
THE ULTIMATE WEAPON
METAL GEAR!" - Big Boss

The Mission: A Special Forces operative, code named Solid Snake, must infiltrate Outer Heaven and destroy Metal Gear, a bipedal walking tank capable of launching nuclear missiles from anywhere in the world.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Platform: MSX2
Release Year: 1990
Chronological Year: 1999

"Put yourself in the enemy's shoes. Imagine you're the enemy commander, or the game designer, in charge of guarding that area. You might see possibilities you couldn't see before...Over and out." - Roy Campbell

The Mission: Solid Snake is brought out of retirement by the new leader of FOXHOUND, Roy Campbell. Snake's mission is to covertly invade Zanzibar Land and rescue Dr. Kio Marv, a Czech scientist who's genetically engineered petroleum-producing algae is being held hostage by Zanzibar Land's leaders in an attempt to control the world's dwindling oil supply.

Metal Gear Solid
Platform: Playstation 1
Release Year: 1998
Chronological Year: 2005

"People who have been through war and survived develop a kind of sixth sense to warn them of danger. Trust your instincts as a soldier... As a gamer..." - Master Miller

The Mission: Solid Snake comes out of retirement once more at the behest of Colonel Roy Campbell, now working for the Secretary of Defense. During a training mission gone awry on Shadow Moses Island, Liquid Snake and his newly assembled FOXHOUND unit have rebelled against the U.S. government and taken control of Metal Gear REX. Snake must enter the heavily guarded compound, destroy Metal Gear and stop Liquid Snake's machinations of global terrorism.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Platform: Playstation 2
Release Year: 2001
Chronological Year: 2007
Those playing for the first time: SELECT TANKER MISSION FROM THE MAIN MENU WHEN PROMPTED

"I want my memory, my existence to remain. Unlike an intron of history, I will be remembered as an exon. That will be my legacy, my mark on history. But the Patriots would deny us even that. I will triumph over the Patriots, and liberate us all. And we will become the 'Sons of Liberty'!" - Solidus Snake

The Mission: Two years have passed since the Shadow Moses Incident. Solid Snake and Otacon have gone rogue as Philanthropy, an anti-Metal Gear non-government organization (NGO). They've recently received an anonymous tip that a new type of Metal Gear is being transported on a tanker through the Hudson River. Upon boarding the ship, Snake witnessed a hostile takeover by Russian mercenaries under the command of Revolver Ocelot. Snake must gather Intel on the new, dangerous weapon and destroy it if possible.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Platform: Playstation 2
Release Year: 2004
Chronological Year: 1964

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle. I'll give you ten minutes. In ten minutes, MiGs will come and bomb the hell out of this place. If you can beat me in less than ten minutes, you'll be able to escape in time.
[loads her Patriot] Jack, let's make this the greatest ten minutes of our lives!" - The Boss

The Mission: 1964, the height of the Cold War. America's greatest living agent and mentor of Naked Snake, The Boss, has defected to the Soviet Union and tipped the scales of war in he uneasiest of times. Snake has been dispatched to the Russian jungle by Zero, commander of the special forces unit FOX. His mission: assassinate The Boss, traitor of the United States and the woman who taught Snake everything he knows.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Platform: Playstation 3
Release Year: 2008
Chronological Year: 2014

"America will descend into chaos. It'll be the Wild West all over again. No law, no order. Fire will spread across the world. The people will fight... And through battle they will know the fullness of life. At last... Our father's will... His Outer Heaven... Is complete." - Liquid Ocelot

The Mission: War has changed. The endlessly growing war economy has transformed the smaller nations of the world into endless battlefields, becoming stages for private military companies (PMCs) to wage proxy wars and fuel the profits of their bottom lines. The five largest PMCs are owned by a single parent company: Outer Heaven, headed by Liquid Ocelot. Roy Campbell has called up Solid Snake, now know as Old Snake due to his debilitating rapid aging disease, for one last favor: assassinate Liquid and end his tyrannical plans of world domination via economic manipulation.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Platform: PS3/360/PS4/XOne/PC
Release Year: 2014
Chronological Year: 1975

"There’s a second…in…my…" – Paz

The Mission: Chico and Paz, agents integral to the success of the Peace Walker mission, are being held in captivity on a U.S. black site on the southern tip of Cuba. At the same time, the IAEA is taking a guided tour of Big Boss' Mother Base to ensure compliance with a non-nuclear agreement. Big Boss' mission is to extract Chico and Paz before they have time to reveal sensitive intel on Boss and his base to the terrorists who have captured them.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Platforms: PS3/360/PS4/XOne/PC
Release Year: 2015
Chronological Year: 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfoPfF2u1to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVxPAiB7as

"Watching the trailers for MGSV makes you wonder if the spirits of Dostoyevsky, Stanley Kubrick, and Caravaggio entered Hideo Kojima’s body because, using the art of gaming as his canvas, he boldly goes where no one has gone before." - Nicolas Windig Refn, director of Drive and the Pusher series

The Mission: MGSV:TPP will be GOTY 2015.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Platform: PSP
Release Year: 2011
Chronological Year: 1974

The Mission: I actually don't know, I never played Peace Walker because it seemed to be balanced more around multiplayer. It's Metal Gear gameplay mixed with Monster Hunter design elements and seemed to be lighter on story from what I played (at least the production values are significantly lower; there's only so much you can do on a PSP). This is the game most closely related to The Phantom Pain though so now is definitely the time to play, and I will be correcting my past mistakes this month.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Platforms: PS3/360/PC
Release Year: 2013
Chronological Year: 2018

"Forget it. We've both heard enough speeches about higher causes by now. History will decide who's right. End of story." – Sam

The Mission: It's a spinoff action game sequel to MGS4 starring Raiden where you have to stylish slice apart hordes of electronic freaks, made by Platinum. It's badass and the writing is very funny, but definitely saved for later after finishing the core game series if you're a first time player of Metal Gear.

I love Metal Gear and I want to suck Hideo Kojima's dick, lol. Enjoy Metal Gear July everyone. Remember to use #MetalGearJuly to discuss the simulplay on your social media venue of choice.

This is win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I might do this, but not for a few months.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

as a youth I loved the long cut scenes and cinematic experience of older mgs games. now as a mature and discerning gam,er who values gameplay over all, I can fall in love with the mgs series all over again thanks to the finely tuned gameplay and mechanics of the more recent releases

I loving hated cutscene in any game when I was a kid. I beat metal gear 1 and 2 without watching a single cutscene and skipping every codec convo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's tons of psx era games I would have rented and beaten but remember nothing about because I skipped every single cutscene in the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I wish we could fulton some more posters into the Imp Zone, maybe some of the really funny YOSPOS regulars and a few more people from FYAD with good stats.

The only yospos guy that should post here is that dude that keeps getting banned from adtrw for pissing off zorak.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Zorak isn't a moderator anymore, he gets banned for pissing off Ralp/the new guy now.

Well, regardless, I like his style.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

He's banned because he said an anime girl with big hooters was sexy.

God Speed to him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*ascends through the various Vince McMahon emotions whilst scrolling down*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soral posted:

its not a big deal. im just hassling my good friend zdr, who is someone i respect for managing to be both an SA forums moderator and not a complete loving lunatic psychopath

Stfu.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Maoris broke into my house and stole my PS2 copies if MGS2 and3.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Don, hey Donald. Have a look outside your drive....There's fuckin maori running off with Metal Gear in the middle of Don's bloody driveway.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Dude...what if Snake smuggled in Dank Blunts in his rear end instead of cigs.

Don't tell knuc unite or else he might try to smoke his turds and rear end in a top hat.

Edit: wrong account

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 2, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Johnny: Stay away from good-looking women, unless you want to get hit with diarrhea. That's what I learned from Shadow Moses.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

You have to shoot them in the leg (arm might work too) but I always have the M9 out and can't switch to the SOCOM fast enough before they tackle me.

You can point the guns at their heads and dicks too, without having to change weapon/shoot. Just a little decade old gamer tip from yours truly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oh yeah, tough guy, how's a bullet in the ball bags sound?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm talkin about the dudes who just taunt you if you point the gun at their heads or nut's.

I forgot about those guys. I thought that regular guys gave up when you pointed at them and toughs were resistant until the threat of dick destruction...it's been too long since I played these games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

There's no time like the present

I'm going to get a ps3 later this year.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sigint is friend of the family backwards.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

European Extreme for MGS3 Is the hardest goddamn thing

They don't call it American extreme for a reason you pansy Yankee piece of poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Nastasha's sniping tips are so badass and overall more interesting than her nuclear proliferation lectures,

Not for me, since I love talking about nuclear proliferation.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That feel when you're watching 80s tmnt reruns and you realise that Leonardo is liquid snake. Can't unhear :gonk: cowabunga, brother!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I got the loving Elephant rank again! What's going on here!!

You're a fat piece of poo poo, that's what!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Otacon only watches anime... Raiden lives it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

frank.club posted:

It gives me hope that the silenced rubber round assault rifle in TPP will be the the sickest thing in the universe

Oh my god. I'm glad I'm not really following this game closely. I've only watched the trailers once...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Imma get a PS4 for this game I think...dunno if I can wait.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never played MG1, but it would be badass to play from the Big Boss' perspective.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

You can tell he's a virgin because when EVA first shows up she flashes her rear end, pussy and breasts in his face and the only time he reacts is when she gives him a gun, at which point he absolutely flips out.

He's otaku for battle.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh yeah I was gonna post this when I got home.

I had the idea a while ago, I think it's real funny but could never quite think of the perfect way to get the point of it across...it's not the best, at all, but the strongest setup I could think of is something like

badass ninja creepin around corners all stealthy n poo poo, sneak up and stealth kill a mothafucka and raiden be like

This guy sucks.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

With the Olympic level failtardedness of the posters within being kept in mind, is anything interesting happening in the Games thread activity or should I just leave it unbookmarked.

I double dog dare you to read the first page of the August game that thread.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm going to use my furniture money to buy a big TV and a ps4 and sleep on the floor for a month.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Scratching my head at the Imps I see in that thread. THese people are really stupid and in a tedious way, not a fun way. Every time I see that Stux character I wana crumple his windpipe.

It's so drat bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the Radiohead - Creep of video games.

It's the BioShock: infinite of good games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Im in the physical form of my life. for the next 6-12 months i wont lose my focus even for a second , in any of my 4-10 hour MGS V sessions.

Same here.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sits my highly tuned body into a comfortable yet ergonomically designed Gaming Chair and listens to the powerful purr it makes at rest.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

metacritic of 95....will it hit the top of the charts, beating out Ocarina of Time for N64, or will kojima-san be forced to commit seppukku to regain his honor from miyamoto

Oh yeah dude I can see it now "aww me so sully, me make a wrongu game" mahahaha and he has big buck teeth and comically yellow skin with one of those rice farmer hats on while he does it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've still only seen the big e3 trailer...going in completely dry.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

No.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My TV isnt getting delivered until the 12th of sept so I aren't playing this for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shoehead posted:

You not have a spare lovely tv to play on, or are you waiting until you have a better tv to play it on? I don't think I could wait

I recently moved to another country and I literally have no furniture at all.

• Locked thread