Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Specifically in Africa. I know very little about this topic so I would like some good things I can read or watch to educate myself a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
King Leopold's Ghost is a good start.

Edit: Double feature it with Heart of Darkness.

More edit: For a movie watch Battle of Algiers.

SithKitty
Jun 9, 2005

Histories of the Hanged: The Dirty War in Kenya and the End of Empire by David Anderson

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa by Jason Stearns. Helpful as a sequel to King Leopold's Ghost (which is very good!)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

King Leopold's Ghost was good.

See also: Wretched of the Earth by Franz Fanon. It's a little dense but he's a great writer IMO

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
The Covenant by James A. Michener is probably the best overview you can get of South African history

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Another vote for King Leopold's Ghost

Also Late Victorian Holocausts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm 80% of the way through Martin Meredith's Diamonds, Gold, and War, and though it's a thorough look at South Africa and seems largely impartial, it gets a little boring at times just because there's quite a bit of repetition in white people subjugating other people. (That's history's fault though, not the author's.) Doesn't seem to be pushing any particular agenda. Both Rhodes and Kreuger were unbelievable dickheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga and Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee are both fiction, but excellent books set in post-colonial South Africa.

• Locked thread