Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Tell us about the dog fighting busts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

:catstare: These are hosed up, and there are many reasons why. They're rarely done outside of DA referral. Most arrests I've been part of or have seen involving dog fights have been the result of a thorough investigation following an initial reported dog bite. I've been to a few backyards with dog treadmills, rings, and suspicious stains. If you ever suspect organized dog fighting, you need to report that poo poo immediately. Most, if not all dog fight events involve drug deals, weapons, and a LOT of outstanding arrest warrants for the attendees. Watch this video: :gonk: WARNING!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdmQRCNYyw

If I see someone with a pit chained in their yard, and I know they own a treadmill and a springpole, should I call animal control? Just wondering.

Would you say that the pits that come out of fighting busts are generally good dogs? Can they be good pets? I would assume that most, being products of their environment, aren't too stable but what would I know. Is it really all in how you raise them, based on your experienced with the most abused members of the breed?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Quincyh posted:

Hey instead of talking about pits AGAIN,

But

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

lol that video is by the HSUS

postin fat pin on a chain from when i was livin w my parents itt :cool:

this thread...is the pits!!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

If you aren't some sort of certified dog behavioral therapist or trainer, I would say No. It's sad.

Some important information for you pit bull crazies: http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/10-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf

The majority of reported dog bites that end in death are by pit bulls. The majority of dog bites that result in injury requiring hospitalization and health department intervention are by pit bulls. Pit bulls are bitey dogs. They just are. Sorry, pit bull lovers. You are in love with a bitey sort of dog and that's that.

Omg you guys I called it

ACO knows nothing about their job, news at 11

You're why I bought a wooded property set too far back from the road to see and have a lock on my gate. ACOs are all insane lmao

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I have more questions

How did you handle livestock complaints

For example: let's say someone calls you and tells you my paddocks are real muddy in March/April and that my pigs don't have water. You show up and I say "they don't have water because they drink out of the creek and if I give them water they sit in it, dump it out, Mosquitos lay eggs in it, the chickens come poo poo in it, the goats try to drink it and get sick, and that it actually turns into a health risk." Do you cite me for not having "clean water" out for them in this scenario y/n

Example two: Some gentle soul calls you, crying softly, over the fact that my dogs are outside a lot. I own springpoles, treadmills, weighing scales, books about dog fighting, and my two pit bulls have to be rotated so the don't kill each other and at a given time, one of them is probably gonna be in my yard, possibly on a secure chain setup. (Note: tethering is not illegal where I live.) do you see my treadmills, books, springpoles and medical supplies (Which are actually for livestock) and immediately tackle me, the words "GOTCHA DOGFIGHTUR" flying from ur lips with spittle, or do you have enough training to tell the fucken difference between a weird dog lady and a legitimate fighting situation?

EXAMPLE THREE THEN IM DONE: I own a LGD. He has never been inside a house in his life. He was raised with goats and pigs and is generally filthy. His job is to run around my property and murder anything that fucks with livestock. He sleeps in a barn and eats poop. I bathe him a few times a year and give him his shots but that's it. A concerned mom sees him and calls you because I have a dog that is dirty and never comes inside ever!!!! He barks at strangers and is not friendly and looks filthy all the time. How do u handle this situation????

:allears:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I believe inside every person there is goodness

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

im sorry for shitpost goodbirdmod ._. ACOs are always just a certain kind of person and I CANT HELP IT.

My latest questions were real questions though OP, I would legit like to know how the average ACO would handle those situations. I've always been anxious about getting hassled for (legally) having livestock on the edge of the suburbs and I'm curious to know if you guys get any kind of training on what a normal setup is for livestock/working dogs and how it differs from typical pet situations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

:staredog: whoa that dogs bite blog person is pretty nuts. It links to the craven desires anti pit blog, which is even crazier. Wtf is it about these dogs that brings out such strong opinions

people who dont like pit bulls are insane and people who do are also insane

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i didnt sperg i asked the op to sperg

and he responded by linking to an HSUS video and a dogsbite.org page lmfao

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i asked v serious questions after that and I would still like to hear the answers!!

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 3, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

we all must face the end of days

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Op come post *hold out hand* u come friend :) *pat seat next to me*

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

No, because there is a reasonableness standard when it comes to enforcement. If my general questions about your care of the livestock don't raise red flags then it's fine. I often asked people to explain things to me so I could better understand them. With experience, you learn to call bullshit when people begin to tapdance around certain questions. Just using common sense will often lead you in the right direction.

That makes me feel a lot better. I hear so many horror stories that I've always wondered/worried.

quote:

Are people allowed to ask each other questions in your imaginary world or are they restricted to the hypothetical confines of a comic book wherein they must interpret every problem and make every decision at face value?

You could ask, but I doubt my answers would help much. "I have these things because I am interested in breed history" hasn't flown for a lot of people and people have even had weightpull trophies confiscated as dog fighting "evidence." Out of curiosity, what would be the best way to chill out an ACO in that scenario? "I know I have these books about dogfighting but I swear really for real that I'm just a nerd officer!!!!" doesn't seem like it would fly. If you say you'd listen to people that's cool though, good on you for not being kneejerk about things!

quote:

By your description, it sounds like you've obviously got a pretty :clint: dog. I'll put it this way: I was once sent to a neighborhood where the reporting party said that she saw a dog owner holding his dog down and drowning it with a hose. I knocked on the door and told the guy it was a long shot, but this is what I had heard. He told me that he was giving his bug-covered dog a bath after a long day at the lake, and the dog just hates the hose. Sounds good to me, your dog looks happy and fine too, just wanted to let you know that you've got neighbors who misinterpreted what you were doing. Thanks for playing, enjoy the rest of your evening. I gave the reporting party a call back to explain, and everyone's satisfied. A lot of times, that's just the way it was. If anything, those types of calls gave me the opportunity to get to know the neighborhood and its inhabitants a little bit better while at the same time giving the people who lived there a better sense of support from their local services.

Awesome, this makes me feel better. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions in spite of my shitposting. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Flavor Truck posted:

Great question! I will begin this post with a photo of one of my rabbits.

Chill as gently caress forever, his name is Dr. Moose. That fat rear end in the background is his wife. They're both shelter buns.

This is the most Noble and Lordly bunny I have ever seen. :3:

• Locked thread