Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man my new 1.3 world is kinda rough. In one direction I've got Snow follows by Crimson, and the snow spreads under my base area creating the more difficult underground Ice Cavern biome, and in the other direction I've got desert followed by Jungle. Desert isn't so bad, except at night with those goddamed terrifying antlion flier things. At least I finally found a Magic Mirror, even if I can't find enough Silver/Gold for armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I read that sunflowers stave off corruption. Does that mean it's smarter of me to leave them where they are if they are closer to the corruption so that once the corruption starts to creep the sunflowers will stop it sooner?

They don't actually do that anymore. They do reduce monster spawns and increase your move speed though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Greece biome is pretty terrifying, the Medusas are a real bitch to fight.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

The hook doesn't even help, you will fall from wherever you're hooked if you get petrified.

I have the triple Whammy of a Marble and Granite biome being right next to each other, inside of my underground Ice biome. So I get Granite Elementals, Hoplites, Medusas and Spiked Ice Slimes all in the same area.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Finally beat up Skeletron in my new world, after waiting at the dungeon through a Blood Moon...I go into said Dungeon...and the first Cursed Skull I kill drops a Nazar.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Krittick posted:

The King and Queen statues will teleport a random npc of the same sex to it when wired up. They also tend to teleport to their houses at times when they can't path there, though I'm not sure exactly what causes that.

For talking to them, grappling the ceiling below them is how I do it, but you can reduce the lower hallway's height a block or two and you'll be able to reach them from just standing below.

Generally if you get them and their house offscreen at night they'll port to their houses.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

There are only three pre-hardmode summon weapons.

1. The slime staff is extremely weak and useless. I guess the baby slimes look kinda cute? Anyway it's a really rare drop (0.01% chance) so that makes it not worth pursuing IMO. I didn't get one until long after getting in hardmode, after I already had the optic staff.
2. The hornet staff is better. You need to defeat the Queen Bee at least once to craft it from Bee Wax, that makes it a bit harder to get but it's preferable to farming slimes for several days.
3. Finally, if you can adventure in the netherworld, start digging up some hellstone. The Imp Staff, crafted from Hellstone Bars, is very good for all pre-hardmode needs and remains useful in early hardmode.

Once you get in hardmode, I recommend going straight for the Optic Staff, which will be useful for a while, then upgrade to the Xeno Staff or Deadly Sphere Staff as you get them.

Note: the console version do not have the hornet, imp, optic, and xeno staffs at the moment. Which means that pre-hardmode, the extremely rare and extremely wimpy slime staff remains your only choice, yay.

It's funny, I started a new world with the new patch, and got the Slime Staff within a couple in-game days of just mucking around and it was pretty amazing. Toss the little guy outside during a blood moon and rack up the cash in the morning.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that it's been out literally 2 days, but has anyone tried the Wii U Terraria? I'm naturally averse to it due to the lack of content compared to the PC version, but I wonder how the controls work. Terraria was and remains a game made for mouse and keyboard, but perhaps the Wii U's characteristics and clever programming make it work well in a way that it wouldn't on, say, the PS4.

I imagine the GamePad screen makes building a lot easier than it would be on PS4, but I can't say for certain.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I used the secret seed to generate a world too, tons of hollow trees, dungeon under one of them, and I could only guess that there's no guardian since there's no crazy guy outside of it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

axeil posted:

First ever it might be challenging.

You could do what I did and make a "normal" world and a secret seed world. The different ores are purely aesthetic differences and Corruption/Crimson doesn't really matter all that much since you're not playing on Expert.

Actually the alternate ores make slightly better equipment, Platinum Armor has better defense than Gold Armor, for example.

Though, you can also get the alternate ores with Silt/Slush and the Extractinator.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I just ran into the meteor being immune to explosions myself.

Been playing in Journey mode, which is great fun not having to hunt down more materials after a certain point. I've got the Star Cannon now, which I never used before because of the ammo limitations.

I did get to see the Meteors actually fall in the background, I'm digging the new background art a ton. And with the Eye and World Eater dead, next is building some jungle housing for a pylon there, and then working up to Skeletron. I also might have to go farm scouts so I can summon a Goblin Invasion, they've yet to show up at all and I need the Tinker.

But the game is super good, as it's always been.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My underground Jungle got a bit weird during worldgen, the desert under the oasis near my base runs into it, and the temple seems to have spawned on top of a marble biome. Gonna have to make another world if I want those goodies I guess.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Now that I know about torch luck I'll be avoiding the ice biome until I get ultrabrights. My underground desert is already infested with regular torches sadly, and I don't see myself replacing them.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Has anyone tried out the 'not the bees' seed yet? It sounds pretty funny, but also like it would be a pain to play in.

I made one and just explored it a little bit. The answer is yes.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just recently got very lucky tooling around the jungle and getting an early Bezoar drop, now I need a Nazar. And everything for a cell phone, before I beat up WoF.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no way to rebind the dodge to a key press separate from the movement buttons is there?

I think every dungeon is like this now. Its kind of annoying to go through all those fake walls.

Agreed. Mostly the ones you have to dig through. The floors that lead to spike pits are nasty traps, but not nearly as annoying.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, that would explain it. I hate the underground desert, it's a pain to navigate and I never go there except when I'm looking for something specific. It's my least favourite biome. Thank you.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the noises the bugs make or the giant flying antlions.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Memento posted:

My underground jungle farm for Lost Girls ended up spawning enough Life Fruit to get me to 500hp and then it spawned a Plantera bulb. Turns out with a few platforms it was the perfect arena to fight the boss as well. The Golem room was really small, but I drained all my buff potions and got that done. Killed Fishron with a Terra Blade projectile just as I died and got the least useful drops. Killed the Lunatic Cultist with Beetle armour on. Did 3/4 of the pillars and made myself a Solar Eruption.

Still don't have a metal detector.

Try taking your character to a new map, Lost Girls ought to spawn more often pre-hardmode because there's less on the spawn table to compete with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eikre posted:

Not only is Don't Dig Up a good remix that offers principled changes to the game progression, but I like the implication created for the setting by having you fight your way out of a last-bastion situation on a temperate island in hell.

Eh, I found it got old real fast once you made it to the surface. the constant assault by eaters just was not fun at all.

I wish you could mix and match the special world seeds a little more, personally.