Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On Expert Mode his head has super high defense while the arms are still alive, you pretty much HAVE to kill them first. I'd also recommend a proper arena and lightning boots or similar for his phase 2, since his headspin is now VERY quick. Also, if the world you're playing on is Crimson, I'd recommend making a secondary Corruption world just to get the Expert EoW item, which is pretty much super essential in Expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Daedalus Bow might as well be called the Destroyer Killer. Load that baby up with holy arrows and watch the Destroyer just melt. Only annoying part is farming up unicorn horns to stock up. Bow's pretty good for invasions and wave events, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, Blood Moons in Hardmode do not gently caress around, do they?

I seriously need to get a new weapon. Night's Edge is already getting outclassed.

Blood Moon is nothing, wait until you get your first Eclipse. On my latest playthrough immediately after entering Hardmode I got a Blood Moon and an Eclipse back to back before I even had a chance to do inventory management after the WoF. It was unpleasant.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, whoops, turns out that was a feature of this mod I'm running. My bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nuebot posted:

Thanks, I was hoping there was a nexus styled repository I'd just been missing somehow but this will have to do. My friends keep talking about a "Dark Souls" mod for the game and I have no idea what the hell that is.

Tmodloader has an in-game browser that is decent-ish. However, the Dark Souls mod being referenced, unless someone made a new version eventually, probably refers to the incredibly old, entirely incompatible with new Terraria, adventure map Red Cloud which featured souls-like things like dropping souls on death and such.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They're just stupidly rare in general. My advice is to construct yourself a Nymph catching tunnel, basically make a really long tunnel section at the appropriate depth (I forgot off-hand if it's caves or underground), pop your battle potion and run back and forth until you see her name pop up on your rare enemy detector item.

Alternatively, just cheat yourself a metal detector because it's not worth the annoyance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GobiasIndustries posted:

Holy poo poo I killed him. Killed Moon Lord :woop: Used the Vampire Knives to start, then switched to chlorophite bullets with the chain gun with super healing potions to finish it off. It took me a number of tries but eventually it paid off. God was that a rush, what a great game :allears: Time to get started on the rest of those achievements :getin:

And now that you've beat the entire game vanilla, time to tack on some of the excellent mods that the community has created over the years and start all over again!

Just, uh, stay away from Tremor.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NachtSieger posted:

What's wrong with tremor?

Man, what ISN'T wrong with Tremor? Ugly biome, uninspired new items, laughably terrible bosses (seriously what is up with that corn) and worst of all, terribly optimized and will make your modded playthrough a lot heavier just by being around. Of the 4 big names it's easily the worst.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thompsons posted:

I'm getting back into the game after having left it alone for a couple years, what're all the big good mods besides Thorium?

Besides what was mentioned above, Auto-Trash is a fantastic new addition and I really like Boxinator since I've never been big on actually building stuff for my NPCs and you need like a billion houses with mods anyways.

Alchemist NPC is a good one if you don't like having to go through the effort of actually making your own garden for potions and such. For content I'm playing around with a couple of the newer mods on the block but they haven't really impressed me so far. Terraria Overhaul is a whole big thing all of its own that you either love or despise, but it's worth giving a try, keeping in mind it changes the core gameplay rather radically which makes it somewhat incompatible with the design of basically every other mod.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ah and you reminded me of one of the mods I've been actually rather liking, Weapon Out. Besides doing what it says on the tin (which, while a small thing, is surprisingly cool), it also adds some neat new weapon categories such as a fist weapons with a combo system and special moves which are kinda cool if not very efficient. Fun to mess around with at any rate. Your post reminded me of it because it includes an item that you can toggle to turn omniswing on or off.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kanos posted:

I never liked Calamity much. Its later bosses are tremendously sadistic and unfun to fight and the items in it are hellaciously power creepy; it just doesn't feel like it slots into the game's power curve at all, whereas Thorium feels like it fits perfectly.

Weirdly in a super modded playthrough I did with some friends, Thorium items were actually some of the most OP ones. Admittedly the post Moon Lord stuff is dominated by Calamity, but that's just because Thorium doesn't extend far after that. The Black set of weapons is stronger for its point in the progression than anything from any other mod. And while the super late post Moon Lord bosses can be very tough, I do like Calamity's additions to the earlier game overall, and it's actually sort of entertaining to have bosses that put up a serious fight. It's not for everyone, admittedly, but for crazy people like me Calamity's Revengeance Mode adds a lot to the experience since even Expert had started to get way too easy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

Just remember that for every boss.

It has been so long since I played Normal mode I don't remember any of the other differences between them. I just remember the Eye because it's the most obvious, I feel.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

I think it might be part of a mod which also does that? I forget which mod caused it.

I THINK crafting stuff from banners is from Fargo's? It's really helpful in general for a lot of different stuff, especially since it makes banners something actually useful. You can do stuff like convert slime banners into big stacks of gel, for instance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Expert mode is hard but it ain't THAT hard, you guys. You just have to actually prepare for boss fights.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man this conversation really makes me realize how far I've come from the standard Terraria player. Not in like, a good or bad way, just in the fact that I've played SO MUCH GODDAMN TERRARIA that even Expert Mode is just easy as hell. My opinions on difficulty are probably completely irrelevant to the majority of people at this point and that's super weird.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I am unsurprised.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

The prehardmode bosses aren't that bad but they do get pretty dumb later. The ultra rare legendary weapon drops are equally dumb and scale with boss kills to ridiculous damage and projectile spam

Legendary weapons haven't scaled with bosses for drat near a year.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

graynull posted:

Anyone have a trip report on Antiaris yet? Considering a new game with Thorium and Calamity and might try Antiaris to see if the creator has indeed learned to edit and put quality over quantity. I like the idea of the guide having a house, I will say. Always seemed odd to just find that fool just wandering around the woods ready to be savaged. Some guide he is.

I'm in the early days of a playthrough I rigged up to test a bunch of these up-and-comer content mods. I have Antiaris, Elements Unbound, that sorta stuff. I'll let you know how I feel about them once I get a bit later on, but early impressions is that the Tremor guys are still lying and being content creepy as gently caress, but at least the content creep is higher quality than stuff like that loving corn from Tremor.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have no idea how far mobile is, do you guys have fishing? The usual skip for pickaxes is fishing a Reaver Shark ASAP, skips all the pre-hard mode ore grinding (it's equal in strength to a Molten Pick).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just hope 1.3.6 doesn't break modding too much.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno, the class specific stuff in Spirit was pretty strong and the later spirit biome weapons that just shoot ultra fast through walls trivialize a lot of stuff.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't give a gently caress about balance when modding so I just toss on literally every content mod and a big map, make my PC cry trying to generate the map a few times and then faff around in like 30 different biomes and 10 different metaprogressions.

There are so many Leathers!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nerds like setting ludicrous challenges for themselves in videogames so they can show off to other similar nerds. It's really not that complicated.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

the upper ranks of Calamity's bosses are just stupid as hell

"if you use wings i will loving delete you, no cheating" "if i hit you and you don't take damage, i will just directly set you to dead, no cheating" "hoo boy don't you dare use actual cheats, then i get really mad"

That's really only his pet superboss which doesn't even really have anything locked behind it besides pointless overpowered dev gear. I'd say Calamity is worth it up until that point, but one should never bother even attempting the grind to fight Supreme Calamitas unless they hate themselves. While it's not as tight and cohesive an experience as Thorium and tends to overpower the vanilla game to an extreme degree, it can be quite fun to see really big numbers and a lot of the weapons are quite fun to use. Plus, really good boss music.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

Hm, I remember just bailing on it before getting even within a few bosses of being able to fight that one. I forget why, though.

If it wasn't that, it was probably Devourer of Gods, which used to be a lot more bullshit but has gotten consistently toned down over time. It's still a little bullshit, but at least it explains itself better now (the Calamity dev has a hardon for complex mechanics that are hard to explain within Terraria itself), with its whole gimmick where it has two modes and you're supposed to switch between fighting it from the ground or the air.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DoubleCakes posted:

It'll be a long time before I actually play Calamity. If I'm going to play any mod next it'll likely be Tremor or some other content mod.

I finished Thorium the other day, which – after playing this game for years and probably putting in over a thousand hours – is the first time I finished a game of Terraria. Even in the early days I always came short of beating all the bosses before dropping it. Like people have said Thorium is a very good mod; a perfect expansion to vanilla Terraria. My biggest worry is that now that I've beaten Terraria I will no longer have the drive to play it. :kiddo:

Uh, as questionable as some of Calamity's content can be in terms of difficulty it's still miles better than Tremor. If you want a more gradual incline, Spirit is usually recommended as a good one, though it has its own issues.

Frankly, if you don't mind jank, a horrendous lack of balance and dated memes, there is a pretty incredible amount of modded content for Terraria now. Thorium is pretty much the uncontested best, but even a janky unbalanced mod is still more Terraria, which is always good imho.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been doing one playthrough after each major patch, but never gone heavily into modding (I know about Thorium and that's it). What's the biggest pack of mods I can't install that will put the most amount of poo poo in the game but won't kill each other? Undressing the nurse is not necessary.

There's not really any full modpacks or anything, but for a gentle introduction into modding I'd say you want Thorium for content, MAYBE Spirit for some additional new spice, then mostly QoL mods, stuff like Magic Storage, Auto-Trash and Recipe Browser. Thorium is pretty meaty on its own. If you don't care too much about balance being wonk between the mods and vanilla, toss in Calamity, which is also very meaty.

I don't know the max because I'm the kind of guy who doesn't care if mods start overwriting each other or having ten progression steps at each tier so I like jamming all the mods together into a giant slurry and downing it. Recently I was looking at the Mod Browser and found out someone made a goofy DragonballZ-themed Terraria mod and I instantly installed that poo poo because heck yeah more random junk clogging up my existence.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Crimson Harvest posted:

It's almost enough to base a new Terraria around hmmm

You'd have to make it take place in a different setting to make it more than just a rehash. Some sort of other world, you could say.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Geomancing posted:

I only poked at Spirit Mod a bit, and while it was definitely aesthetically distinct, I never got a handle on its gear upgrade path. It also had the problem that is kind of intrinsic to Terraria - too many surface biomes crowded into the same horizontal area. The Spirit place always overwrote something else. Thorium is generally better in that it added in bosses into previously unused micro-biomes like marble and granite, and some extra small pockets of ores. The extra caves under the ocean were okay because who ever goes out under the ocean? (This was Thorium and not some other mod, right?) It also added in that one Wildreach biome with the tribal planty guys that felt kind of extraneous when I played. (... Same question, this was Thorium?)

The underwater caves are Thorium, Reach is Spirit. Yeah, playing with mods basically requires a Large world even when solo, which can be tricky, and even then there is risk of overwriting.

In other mod news, as someone who likes to toss on random mods whenever, I have to give my trip report that the weird DBZ mod is actually shockingly competent and well made. Overpowered to an extent, but well made. It has all the proper sound effects for things, too! You can even tell it was made with real love because amongst all the beams and blasts and scouters, it adds the almighty Farmer's Shotgun to the game! The DBZ style flight it adds is also actually pretty fun to use and not as overpowered as you'd think.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anyone else can feel free to add to it or correct it, I just gave my own opinions and preferred mods and my tastes are questionable since I'm enjoying using the dumb DBZ mod.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Guy keeps adding stuff too, some of his more recent additions are pretty impressive considering the limitations of Terraria modding. His ocean biome is WAY more ambitious in design than Thoriums, for instance, with whole depth and darkness mechanics and enemies you can stealth past relatively early to get good rewards. Plus its mad spooky. I never thought someone could make Terraria spooky but drat if the dude didn't manage it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ambaire posted:

The 'Enigma Mod' is loving garbage. Why the gently caress did the mod author decide to spawn the 'heart' biome DIRECTLY BELOW WORLD SPAWN? And it has enemies on par with early/mid hardmode when I need to dig a hellavator loving through the mod biome to reach the underworld. And the biome occupies roughly a third of the total distance from the underworld going up towards the center of the map. I have never deleted a mod faster than I did that one. Losing ~8 hours of exploration since it looks like I need to make a new map, too...

Lack of space, I guess. It is a pretty crappy biome, but at least it doesn't LOOK terrible unlike the stuff in some of the other low rent mods I like to mess around with. Luckily I don't think anything in it is essential to the more interesting (if still janky) bits of the mod, so generating a world without the mod and then adding it in is an option.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm just concerned about what effect, if any, folding throwing back into ranged will have for mods, which tend to significantly add onto the throwing class. I don't really play this game vanilla anymore so I'm actually more worried about the next patch than excited, since I suspect it'll break a loooooot of mods.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Calamity only has two real issues, in my opinion: It has a tendency to massively overpower vanilla content and basically any other mod, and the artstyle is too dang detailed for Terraria. They're good sprites, don't get me wrong, they just look waaaay out of place.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vib Rib posted:

One of the biggest incidental problems with the Calamity mod, because of its sheer volume of content, is that I never quite know what my options are for weapons. I'll go up against an area or a boss that I'm having trouble with, realize I haven't updated my weapons in a while, and just be at a loss for where to go.

I have two entire chests of "weapons to upgrade later" but they all have different requirements I gotta pass first. Some need an ancient manipulator or "draedon's forge" to craft, so with those at least, it's easy to know when I'll be able to craft them. But other times I'll go back and see a weapon that I could've upgraded like four bosses ago and just didn't check every single recipe to see "oh yeah, I finally have a source of stardust", or "oh hey, I didn't realize it but I can craft cores of chaos now" or whatever, and now the weapon can upgrade but it's already past its usefulness for me. Other times there's some enemy drop I've just never run into that I could definitely get if I knew about it, but I just never knew and now what could be the best weapon in my arsenal is just sitting uncrafted.
Then you throw in boss loot weapons, which might be really good but there's no way to know about them until you've fought the boss enough to get that random drop, short of using the wiki.

I guess it would be holding my hand too much to have explicit goalposts for each tier of weapons that they could just lay out, but there are so many options it's gotten to the point I literally can't even find a bunch of them.

Hah, and that's with one mod. Try being an absolutely insane person and running with 5-6 like I do. If it weren't for Magic Storage's Crafting Node I would have given up ages ago. Just being able to toss everything into a storage and then look in another node and see what I can make out of it is super rad. Still run into problem with grindables and the like sometimes but it makes things a LOT easier and there is usually something I can craft from my 5 content mods that will help me out after doing basically anything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thorium at least, maybe other mods, has an item that creates a one-shot teleport to your last death location if you have it in your inventory when you die.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah cheating in a cellphone ASAP doesn't break anything, though I usually wait until I can get a magic mirror of some sort first, though with all the mods I play with it's usually a trivial craft. I wait on cheating in the ankh shield until I'm at the point I could legally grind for all its components.

I also sometimes cheat in stuff I know I could trivially obtain but which would just waste my time, like low tier ores when I'm already in boss gear and such.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's supposed to basically be a STEALTH MISSION where you try as hard as possible to not aggro the big worms. It doesn't really match general Terraria gameplay very much though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eschenique posted:

I'm going to break my finger off trying to get the clockwork assault rifle with just the phoenix blaster to fight the wall of flesh with. I should just make the platform route half the map and use the minishark with meteor shot I think.

The main reason I'm never playing without mods ever again is exactly this. gently caress any weapon that doesn't autoswing/shoot. I can give up magic storage, I can give up AlchemyNPC and VeinMiner and everything else.

But I ain't ever playing Terraria without OmniSwing ever again. Ever. I'll literally wait for the mods to update for JE before playing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It stops after Moon Lord, technically, but it's kind of an overpowered mod so it can probably fit in comfortably for most mods post-ML content except Calamity, predictably. And even then it can probably hang in there for the early stages of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As usual, I find Thorium to be an easy recommend for people getting interested in modding. It slots in easily with vanilla Terraria in both visual style and design and mostly is just Terraria+. The other content mods can wait as they usually change a bit too much of the default formula.

As for non-content mods, I cannot recommend Magic Storage strongly enough. It's seriously fantastic.