Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

legoman727 posted:

Expert Skeletron is complete bullshit. hits hard enough to still wreck me in adamantine armor, jesus christ.

Adamantine? He 2 or 3-shots me wearing shroomite or turtle armor. I'm going to try my tried-and-true gravity potion kiting bullshit and see if that's any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

How wide do the trenches need to be to keep corruption/hallow from spreading? 5 blocks wide with a crafted block covering to prevent enemies from spitting their poo poo on to it to spread it?

I'd like to know this as well- my plan right now is new Expert world, poo poo all over it unlocking stuff, get the awesome drill mount, then use that mount to trench the *crap* out of my decorative world

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So expert mode plantera is kicking my rear end- I can get him down to 25%ish fine, but once he enters the second phase and starts growing mini-tentacles I die in seconds- do I need to just lead him to the surface and hover above his head?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

Man, my two friends and I are just getting completely curbstomped by expert mode Skeletron.

My preferred tactic for skeletron and a lot of other bosses is so cheesy that it'd murder lactose intolerant players, but I stock up on gravitation and mana potions, and simply spend the entire fight holding left (until I hit the world's edge, then I switch to holding right) and toggling between apple falls up, apple falls down. A lot of bosses don't track vertical movement well, and it will usually keep skeletron far enough away to mitigate his attacks, while still keeping him close enough to hit.

I used Flairon + Razorblade Typhoon (for healing with spectre armor), the former's homing bubbles mitigates the challenge of aiming while zigzagging through the sky, and the latter keeps you alive if he gets in a few hits while a potion is on cooldown.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm kind of surprised you still have to cheese him with hardmode weapons too. Expert hardmode bosses must be horrifying.

There's the distinct possibility that I'm either underequipped or plain sucky at bosses, but I find the Expert hardmode boss DPS to be complete BS. With full HP and wearing shroomite gear it feels like any of the bosses can kill me in 2-3 good hits, so my strategy becomes less about DPS, and more about survival.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm really not a fan of the extended wait time after death on expert mode- it might make sense in a PvP environment, but when I'm trying to have fun in singleplayer it feels like a petty waste of time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What loadouts are you gents using on expert plantera? I've gone through 10-12 tries, the arena is big enough that I can dodge, but he does so much damage that I die in 2-3 hits, and it seems like I'm doing no damage. I've been using flairon + razorblade typhoon with spectre armor for the healing, but it seems grossly insufficient.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm really not having fun with the new boss grind: I killed the expert standard and mechanical bosses fine, but expert plantera and fishron, not to mention normal lunatic cultist are absolutely kicking my rear end- it feels like everything kills me in a few hits, and I don't think I'm intended to gravity potion my way through every single boss. :(

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How the heck do you keep the moon lord from murdering you? He's blazingly fast, to the point that he usually chases me down and 2-shots me within seconds of the fight starting.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

If I get a pillar's shield down, will it still be down if I quit and reload? I'm getting really desperately sick of sinking 10 minutes into mindlessly killing mobs every time I want to try moon lord.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I finally, finally, finally beat the moon lord, wahahaha! ...except now I have to go do the same thing on Expert Mode. -_-

I've been using the Phantasm with holy arrows and a boatload of +damage % accessories, is there anything I can be doing to bolster my dps more? I basically want to min/max it as high as I possibly can, just for fun.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm unclear on how nymphs work: I have a grinder in rmy underground ice biome, it's just a screen full of single-block ice rows and minetrack, so I can ride my cart through the grinder over and over and eventually pick up everything dropped by enemies who die on the track. I have a stardust dragon out to do the killing, but I don't think I've ever found a nymph in this world- does that mean she'll always be killed as a lost girl, and have no chance of dropping the metal detector?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are you sure about that? It's a public wiki, but from http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Metal_Detector :

quote:

Killing The Nymph in its Lost Girl form will NOT give you a Metal Detector.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...so I spent 20 minutes excavating a huge empty space around my grinder to ensure nobody spawned where my minecart couldn't reach, and when I finished, I found like five metal detectors sitting among all the mined blocks and gel 0_0

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I have everything I need for the phone except for the angler and traveling merchant stuff... I really wish there was a non-RNG way to rock this.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Good call, I ended up editing the phone in, because holy cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dareon posted:

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

There's also the not-to-be-spoiled thing, which can turn those hours into seconds.

On a related note, when I first needed to make a plantera arena on expert hardmode, I ended up using a bucket full of dynamite to blast most of the jungle's toplayer off