Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why does it always say important champions? All champions are important!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There is still a picture of Aldo not Mendes in there

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bean Fried posted:

Fixed. And sirens removed because gently caress if I can predict a good match in advance (except Lauzon vs. Gomi).

Do not fall into the the "suck my own dick" trap!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Today at the fashion show must have been the first time in ages so many champions have been together

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Conor KOing chad too early would be the worst, because then he'd have fought a great wrestler but still not have 'proven' himself. Hopefully he KOs him end of RD 1 or early Rd 2

e: Remember that kid from the Dublin press conference during the world tour, clearly Conor's protégé

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 1, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some people always see a silver lining

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have no idea how to read that tbh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

attackmole posted:

Accidents happen sometimes even sparring lightly . Nova Uniao has a rep for going pretty hard though. Who knows.

Apparently the guy slipped when throwing it which hosed up Aldo's distance/dodging of it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aldo's official statement is ice cold

José Aldo posted:

“I'm the UFC champion since April 2011, defended my belt seven times in four years, and will do it for the eighth time in 2015, an average of twice a year. And I'm not even mentioning WEC, a Zuffa-owned company, like the UFC, where I became the champion in 2009 and put my belt on the line twice in less than a year. That why I can't agree with UFC's decision to have an interim champion in my division citing the five opportunities that I couldn't defend my belt.

“If those fights had occurred, I would have done 12 title fights in four years in the UFC, an average of three fights a year, something that no other UFC champion did. A UFC champion rarely does three title defenses in one year. So that can't be the main reason why they are creating an interim title, but the UFC is a private company which I work for, so I can't complain about its decision, but I can't say I agree either.

As of my opponent, who told me to step up and fight like a man, I can't say anything about a man that imitates a TV series character (Travis Fimmel, from Vikings).

“That's really who he wanted to be, because he's probably ashamed of being who he really is, so he imitates his lines, his style and this actor's tattoos. He's an artist, but not from martial arts, but cheap comedy. It's disrespectful with the actor, and with real athletes. He should look for a stage and not an Octagon. The Octagon is my kingdom and there's place for only one king, which is me. If he wants to participate, he can be the joker he already is.

“If he beats Chad Mendes, the only thing he will have is a toy belt to show his friends, drunk in his country's bars, because that's what an interim belt represents to me: a toy. I am the champion."

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

-Atom- posted:

What a boss.

The "I could have defended it 12 times" thing is dumb but his Travis Fimmel line and closing two lines are top-shelf zingers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Sphinxster posted:

He didn't say that tho. He said that's what it would have been if he had been able to make all those fights and he also said no one else has done that which tends to make his case stronger and not weaker.

edit: I have not fact checked his claim and have no idea. 3 times a year at a championship level does seem like a lot.

Presumably the five fights he cancelled on he then went on to fight those people later, so it's not like he would have fought them twice?

E: also saying you'd fight three times in a year when you haven't done that is silly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Is that the Empire Staet? Fooooooooooook off" Never change Ireland

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Doesn't Forrest still have a permanent lump and arm stiffness after his arm break? Plus he went into that cage healthy, imagine how messed up your organs would get if you were smashing a lump of bone into it every blow you took.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's with all these people who come into these early UFCs with their homemade fighting systems that they claim to be 500-0 UNDEFEATED GREATEST FIGHTER EVER in? They're all really bad!!!

Asked and answered

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like that it sounds like Conor carefully thinks about and measures each word he says when in reality he has to force himself to speak slowly for Americans.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ty1990 posted:

You know I never actually considered this.

If you listen to him in the most recent embedded when they get into the hotel room you can kind of hear his normal accent and talking speed. Irish accents particularly a North Dublin one coupled with how quickly Irish people speak can be very hard to understand for foreigners.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Will I finally get my "Nothing Compares to You" walkout dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MNvjrScyo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To paraphrase seanbaby we quickly learned wax on wax off speed always loses to face punch speed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

attackmole posted:

Sage advice from Makwan

"So Kurdish people have this joke to those who have achieved success in their lives, and they have become arrogant and they start walk like a world's owners.
🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒
So one day two hyena rape lion king's son. The lion king finds out what has been done to his son! He is furious, he is so mad, he roars so loud that the whole jungle heard it. King is mad and says that all the animals of the jungle must gather. King says the one who raises a hand up and says that he raped my son gets the king's place and he will be the new king. Same hyena sees a really poor and dirty monkey. He whispers "hey stupid monkey raise your hand up, you have nothing to lose, you will be the new king!!! Monkey obeys hyenaa and the lion king cant believe his eyes "from all the animals in this junge YOU"!!! King says that all the animals in this junge have to bang this monkey at least once!! After two weeks of banging hyena sees this same monkey walking alone. Hyena scream "greeting monkey". Monkey Is looking at the hyena and keeps just walking forward. The hyena says "ever since he has become the king he doesn't even say hello to us".
What i want to say is that you guys dont need to worry that i will become like this monkey. I will always be my self and i try my best to see my family, my friends and i try to answer the messages. All im asking is understand my situation right now. Thank you! 😘❤🙌🙏👊"

I was so confused by this, did the monkey get raped or did he make love? Who is the winner here?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like the moment just after Chael falls and is sitting against the fence. You can practically here the mental conversation between them

"You're going to knee me now"

"Yep"

Also, future female champion

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ty1990 posted:

The little grin on Conor's face when Chad brings up the "balls on head" comment had me laughing out loud.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aurain posted:

If they're selling champion Conor shirts already, there's no reason to not sell champion Hunt shirts too.

It only comes in tent size and up

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

-Atom- posted:

that fits for the Goon Contingent

"I'm sorry do you have this in a Circus size?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

niethan posted:

CONOR
USAGE: Irish, English, Irish Mythology
PRONOUNCED: KAHN-ər (English) [key]
Meaning & History
Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Conchobhar which means "dog lover" or "wolf lover".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH64dlgyydM

His name in contemporary Irish is Conchúir, which would be pronounced cruh-huur. Which doesn't actually follow typical pronunciation rules even within the language. Mc also comes from Mac which means son, so he is Conor son of Gregor. *The more you know*

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

world b lee posted:

It's hilarious to me Dana went on and on about how this Reebok deal means no more elaborate/individualized entrances like Cejudo's, then two days later Sinead O'Connor is singing Conor to the octagon. Its the McGregor Fighting Championships now.

Hopefully it will not end like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJyCNh_BXn8

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ty1990 posted:

Conor is also a southpaw fighter who does a great job of controlling orthodox fighter's lead hands. Jack Slack pointed this out a couple of months ago and it's true when you look at his fight against Ivan Buchinger and to a lesser extent Holloway. Mendes is going to have a hell of a time with distance anyway (Conor is going to have 8 inches on him and I know distance is overrated sometimes but that's a ton to give up against a fighter who uses his advantage masterfully) but I really think he's going to have a hard time getting anything going with his lead hand as well.

That KO is so nice

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

vainman posted:

Mendes is really patient and leads with his right a lot. I don't think it will be the end of the world.

They're both counter-punchers. This fight might be bad

It could be like that fight where they never threw a strike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wYrVmj4Tk

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

I dunno Mendes usually looks for the ko, and connor is good at countering but I don't think I would describe him as exclusively a counterpuncher. He's more then willing to attack he just maintains distance instead of rushing in.

So I would be surprised if the fight is boring.

He baits the counter quite a lot, but much more aggressively than Andy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dangersim posted:

He does and he's good at it but against siver he did a lot of damage sniping him with straight left's

His combo of strikes on Brimage with those left hand strikes are beautiful

http://gfycat.com/JealousUnfoldedGiraffe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Teddybear posted:

So how much is UFC paying Mendes to step in on such short notice? I'd have to imagine he's getting a premium.

The interim title and the chance to finally beat Aldo and shut Conor up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope we see Weidman in the audience cheering when Conor fights Aldo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MacDougall posted:

Smart move by Conor picking a nice common Irish lass as a girlfriend. She appears to just live to please him. Smart man.

They started going out when he was fighting in front of 50 people in rural sports halls and she always supported him. He said in his Ariel interview once he made it he wanted to support her instead and make it so she'd never have to worry about money again so he hired her as his publicist "to collect my cheques". I think she's pretty and the whole thing is quite sweet myself/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Best Friends posted:

What are his views? Please don't make me listen to Ariel.

He thinks any pre-fight 'rituals' for example "lucky shorts" are just another sign of insecurity and fear and it's why he has none.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Thanks for the fight suggestions. The most recent short punchy wrestler vs tall reachy guy fight I could think of was Jones vs Cormier. I've seen Pettis vs Melendez, but who is RDS? Is that supposed to be RDA instead? I'll definitely check out GSP vs Hardy.

I also recently watched Lawler vs MacDonald for the first time. I know it's been said already, especially after Lawler/Hendricks III, but when Lawler goes into Beast Mode he's a scary motherfucker.

Jones Cormier is not a great example as Jones is a pretty great MMA wrestler and got Cormier down.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ninety posted:

Just because Jones let the coke get to him doesn't mean he's not the champ. DC's championship win is about as hollow as it can get since Jones literally made him cry a few months prior.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fair play to whoever had to cut out that image of Guida, clearly the weren't the one who cut out that picture of Hunto.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Irish Rugby Players Union sets up programs to get players an education in business and finance so they can have careers after Rugby as well as manage their money wisely. More professional sports should have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Conversely, I feel that more sports should use some sort of beam or ray that makes athletes think like Diaz Brothers.

On the first day of sports school they are sort into Nicks and Nates and paired off

• Locked thread