Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Mendes should fly that Jonas guy out to train him for the next few days. Then he'll for sure beat Conor McGregor on the feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think we can all agree we want TJ Dillashaw to take out our frustrations on Renan Barao in a few weeks. That'll teach that gym.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

It's a combination of Chad Mendes having the better performance recently and he also challenged for the belt last. Only a few of us dorks follow the sport, most people don't at all except when it comes time for big cards like this and if you were to look at Jose Aldo current featherweight champion you would see his last opponent was Chad Mendes.

The good news is Chad Mendes owns and would have already been a champion if it weren't for Aldo, so now he gets a chance to become one until Aldo retires or dies from rib injuries or whatever happens.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The thing is Urijah Faber set the atmosphere at Team Alpha Male to always be training. And to always have your shirt off and dougieing too. But Chad & the rest never fully get out of camp. He might not be as dialed in on Conor's moves by the night of the fight but he's going to be in shape, wrestling on point and mentally prepared to beat the poo poo out of someone.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I hope Conor insanely kicks the rear end off of Mendes because otherwise some poor guy has to go to Nova Uniao, the third floor gym with an ever present threat of falling out of a window, as the Negative Six Million Dollar Man

Aldo vs McGregor is going to happen at some point, even possibly this year, and it will draw big no matter what. Same way how Nick Diaz hosed up badly against Condit for the interim belt and yet when he fought GSP anyways a year later the PPV still did one of St. Pierre's highest buyrates. Cause people love a good rivalry and until it's been settled between the two fighters the other poo poo doesn't matter.

Chad Mendes could become interim champ and then UFC schedules Aldo vs McGregor because "Aldo has never been so disrespected in his entire life!" and then Johny Edgar Hendricks sits on the sidelines for a year despite being the top contender.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

hmmmmmmm...

was Chad Mendes paid to take a dive against Conor McGregor???

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

how the gently caress do you know

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

This is a few days old but it irked me and I would like to talk about it:

"I don't know when I'm fighting next," Weidman tells MMAmania.com. "There are rumors that Rockhold might be fighting for a No. 1 contendership against Jacare Souza next."

And then when I got on this morning I see:

Luke Rockhold @LukeRockhold
Weidman is trolling, fight is on!

My point is it some kind of passage for becoming GOAT to begin to matchmake your contenders away? Anderson did it, Jones notoriously did it, I don't think GSP ever did which is why he's the greatest.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

A question for Rory Macdonald: Rory, nobody likes you so do you think Conor McGregor is good at promoting?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Question for Rory MacDonald: do you think you're a human yet?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

he thought Robbie was going to be powerless against the beard in his crotch. He thought wrong.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Sphinxster posted:

He didn't say that tho. He said that's what it would have been if he had been able to make all those fights and he also said no one else has done that which tends to make his case stronger and not weaker.

It wouldn't have happened. One of those times Aldo pulled out of a fight was UFC 176 then 2 months later he fought at 179. There's no way Aldo would have fought on both cards if he were healthy. He would have chose one over the other or UFC would have done that for him. Same with how he was scheduled to fight at UFC 149, then later UFC 153, before finally fighting at UFC 156 against Edgar. That's why it's kind of a silly statement.

It'd be like if every time Donald Cerrone said "hell yeah I'll fight that guy" he got to count it toward his total for the year. And Cowboy would be crazy enough to do it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

They should do even more interim belts.. who cares. If youre the champ and cant fight when they ask you they should just make an interim belt. People have short windows of opportunity when theyre in their prime and its dumb if the belt is just out of commission for a year of someones career because the champ is hurt. Let someone win a belt and it can be up to everyone else to decide if its valid or not. then they can unify it. Worked for werdum

agreed. This gets to bundt's point how nobody will ever be completely happy but UFC should make it absolute and either have them all the time or have none at all. If a champion gets injured it's an automatic interim title fight between the top two contenders. Unless the (IC) and (C) manage to avoid each other for years it won't be a problem. It will always work itself out before anybody cares too much. And everybody loves posters with a lot of shiny belts on them.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Heavyweight has a storied history of interim belts but the most recent one with Cain was because he hosed over their first major push into Mexico. They promised new fans a championship fight and they were going to give them one. It took over a year for it to happen though. Cain fought in October 2013 and the interim belt was made on November 2014.

As for Dominick Cruz it was a similar situation where UFC needed a championship title defense for Calgary cause the rest of the card was poo poo, so they made it between Barao and Faber. However nobody knew how long Cruz was going to be out for at the time so in hindsight it would have made more sense to strip Cruz of the title.

Why are they doing an interim title fight at 189 when they already have a sweet championship fight on the card? Cause like 20% of the audience took out loans to come from Ireland to see the fight. They want those fans to be happy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

if UFC were reluctant to match Conor up with Edgar while he's on a roll they're sure as gently caress not going to risk him dropping two in a row. A fighter can lose a fight and recover just fine. A fighter loses two in a row and everyone tells him to retire. It's bad.

So what I'm saying is if you think Conor has been "protected" thus far you haven't seen poo poo yet if he does lose before becoming a champion.

Anyways my money has always been on UFC doing Aldo vs McGregor no matter what. UFC matches up guys coming off of a loss against the champion all the time if it makes money. GSP vs Diaz, Chael vs Jones, and even Aldo vs Edgar are all recent examples. An interim title will be floating around but nobody will care too much because as great as Aldo vs Mendes II was we know that Aldo is the better fighter.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

Barao was promoted to undisputed champion when Cruz got hurt yet again. I believe Arlovski was as well.

And the point is to the best of my knowledge the interim champion has yet to have two losses to the current champion. Almost always it's a fight that hasn't happened yet or it's worked out where both guys end up having a win over each other. Like Mir vs Lesnar was first contested as a normal match where Mir won, and then for the unification match Lesnar was the champion and beat Mir. Mendes has lost to Aldo two times in both title matches. There's no rush for a 3rd.

A couple of people online would complain that Mendes vs Aldo III isn't happening right away but the rest of the world wouldn't even notice. Chad might be a little ticked off but I doubt it to be honest. He would be a UFC champion and guaranteed a fight against either Aldo who beat him twice or against McGregor who he just beat. Why would he care if he took the rest of 2015 off and waited for the winner of that match to maybe become the biggest star of the sport? It's only going to help him out in the long run.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

The UFC is not going to tell the interim champ to gently caress off and wait for Aldo/Conor, right after he beat Conor.

The interim champ has to fight the champion unless he somehow is no longer the interim champ through inactivity or drugs or whatever. Thats a line the UFC won't cross.

lmao are you serious? A line UFC won't cross???

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

that fight is an unsellable pile of garbage if Conor loses on the 11th.

this would make sense if Conor McGregor's fame was based on his record and nothing more. However Conor McGregor is a star because of his personality and the way he fights. If Conor racks up several losses in a short time that would hurt his image but losing to Mendes on the 11th isn't going to stop him from having millions of fan and being a draw. Otherwise guys like Chael Sonnen and Nick Diaz never would have made the kind of money they did.

Was Daniel Cormier vs Rumble Johnson an unsellable pile of garbage because Daniel Cormier finally lost? or is Gustafsson vs Cormier an awful fight even though Gustafsson has now lost to Rumble and Jones? I don't think Conor McGregor losing to one of the best fighters in the world is bad or will have any major impact on one of the best grudge matches in UFC's history.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

dude you are just out of your loving mind if you think Aldo vs Mendes (230,000 buys) Aldo vs Mendes II (170,000 buys) Aldo vs Mendes III (maybe 230 ,000 again if Vitor Belfort is on the card?) would sell more than Aldo vs McGregor which was on track to do a million buys.

lol. I mean come on.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

Those estimates will go completely and utterly to poo poo if Conor loses. I mean come on, the UFC would be openly mocked by everyone, and people aren't going to buy that card if Conor loses, the UFC kicks the interim champ aside and tries to sell that poo poo.

Were you just not following the sport when UFC was openly mocked for picking Nick Diaz over Johny Hendricks? They didn't give a poo poo because it would make them more money. And it did. UFC will do all sorts of poo poo if it will make them more money.

That line that UFC won't cross you mentioned earlier, it begins at "champion nearly kills a pregnant woman while driving drunk for the second time" not "champion has an opportunity to fight a guy with millions of more fans than Chad Mendes/Johny Hendricks. No, we can't risk being mocked online."

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Northjayhawk posted:

What you are arguing for as a plausible possibility is absurd, unprecedented, and extreme.

And I don't know how many times I have to tell you that UFC does poo poo like that all the time. All the time. Like every six months UFC makes a decision that makes no god drat sense other than money. We're all used to it.

To make it clear I wouldn't be surprised if UFC did do Aldo vs Mendes III and gave McGregor an easy opponent in Dublin to get him back on track. But I, a longtime fan of UFC, also understand that they'll justify any bullshit if it's a fight fans want to see and will make them a ton of money. You're under the impression that Aldo vs McGregor is a fight nobody wants to see if McGregor loses to Mendes even though historically that hasn't been the case with grudge matches, and I disagree.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

It appears he did. Chael's a good guy. brb texting Chad Mendes how he needs to fight Conor McGregor and offering him an account on somethingawful forums, the premier MMA forum

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

did it really take 5 minutes into my elbow documentary for Kenny Florian to show up

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Mike Goldberg would gently caress up more people in a street fight than Joe Rogan. he has spurts of unbridled rage and that makes you do some crazy poo poo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

of all the ways to cheat in MMA grabbing shorts is the least offensive.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dangersim posted:

i've always been amused by people latching onto that as if grabbing shorts is the ultimate counter to takedowns

I mean in a better world you would earn points with judges for grabbing another man's shorts in combat as Effective Emasculating

if that isn't a picture of a little boy about to be punished then I don't know what is

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

there isn't much going on today in the world of MMA. Machida said he's not retiring but isn't going to rush back to his next fight. I mean yeah, alright, but okay. Ryan Bader vs Rashad Evans is a five round fight coming your way in a few months. Nobody wants that fight unless both opponents are forced to wear neck knives into the octagon. That's it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhOQNL-kz00

I'm starting to think Conor is going to get wrestled... or maybe won't.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

when I saw of closeup of Rory's Reebok shorts that he'll be wearing into the cage it looked okay to me. Maybe because most fighter's trunks looked god awful except for the iconic ones like Cro Cop/Anderson/Rich Franklin/etc. but Reebok probably would have done better if they focused on selling the Reebok shorts for $50.

I also wonder why they didn't embrace other team sports jerseys and go with a numbers system. Most divisions have fewer than 100 fighters on roster so a 00-99 system per weight class would fit easily enough. If Demetrious Johnson claimed the number 20 or whatever he'd probably get recognized for that much sooner than "Mighty Mouse" or "Flyweight Champion" or "p4p best" or any other poo poo that only MMA fans care about in the first place. Cause all sports fans love numbers.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

As long as Bellator keeps promoting circus main events that average 2 million viewers, that's about twice what UFC shows are doing, then there is value in sponsors giving good money to some fighters. The nobody fighters under Bellator won't make as much as UFC nobodies pre-Reebok deal, but a decent fighter leaving UFC today will make more money in sponsors over at Bellator. So Josh Koscheck won't be the last guy to leave UFC for Bellator.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

I don't think they can really keep it up though, there's only so many fights you can book Tito and Kimbo in and they're too old to be fighting more than twice a year, maybe.

Yep but Bellator doesn't need them for too long. Their plan is to keep the ship floating just long enough to attract other UFC vets to come over that can draw and eventually replace Tito and Kimbo.

And that's to say I have a feeling Tito isn't retiring anytime soon. Partly because he's finally winning fights after an ungodly streak of losing, and mostly because he lost his rear end in the divorce/bad investments and he tried to pay our good goon friend with a t-shirt. So while Rampage has enough money and enough self-worth to try and get back over to UFC's business model, Tito Ortiz will stick with Bellator and help them keep it going.

Kimbo however is going to be gone real soon.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UFC isn't going anywhere unless they purposely try to sink the company. Like sign as many bad Reebok deals as possible. Like feature Ryan Bader in every main event.

UFC has North America locked up, probably South America at this point too (no idea if Bitetti combat is still around or not), Europe is heading there and they're growing in other countries all over the world.

Bellator can gain ground and that will be good for everyone. Also Giblert Melendez will definitely be fighting under Scott Coker again before the end of next year.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

BlindSite posted:

You know I realised the other day something though 4 of the current UFC champions came across from Strikeforce and the three consensus top contenders at MW are all from strikeforce.

Cormier & Rockhold are AKA guys that would have found their way to UFC eventually and nobody saw Robbie & Werdum becoming a UFC champion way back when. It isn't the same as WEC lightweights coming over and beating all the UFC lightweights. And Romero was 0-1 so that's kind of a stretch, he's had more pro fights under UFC than not so I think that puts him as a UFC guy. Tyron Woodley would work better there since he's a top welterweight and he definitely came up through Strikeforce.

UFC is in debt to Strikeforce for Ronda Rousey though, that you can't argue.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Df0sN5fFvI

holy poo poo Chael actually did give out Chad's number :lol: 366 unread messages

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

JuanGoat posted:

Eh... maybe. I think it'd be more likely they'd stay as Strikeforce champs. Plus, Strikeforce always seemed pretty tight with AKA, so I think there'd be even less reason for them to go.

I meant if they never signed with Strikeforce there's a good chance UFC would have signed them eventually.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it's cool that Reebok noticed Chad Mendes wearing Nike shoes for all of 5 seconds in an embedded youtube video, but did not notice marcio lyoto machida for $95, because the details matter

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Brad Pickett is sort of Bad Pickett, imo.

I don't know if he's a 5 to 1 underdog bad but I wouldn't bet on him against a guy 13 years younger in the fastest division.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

how is Cormier out of a fight that hasn't even been scheduled yet.

Even Lil Nog would wait until the fight was scheduled before pulling out 4 days later. So I'm thinking that's not a real story cause UFC could just say "DC/Gus scrapped in favor of DC/Jones II at a to be determined date" or whatever.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Rory was doing really well against Robbie the first time round, and one of the reasons he got dropped is because he was absolutely unafraid to go and trade punches. Gut feeling says Rory takes it but I'd like to see otherwise :shobon:

The only reason why I wouldn't be completely bummed out if Rory wins the belt on Saturday is it guarantees the next defense would be Rory vs Johny Hendricks that's been long over due, and I think Hendricks wins that.

But until it happens I don't see Robbie losing the fight. He would have to perform very poorly to let Rory run away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Donald Cerrone would beat the poo poo out of Iaquinta so if he's gonna take another fight before RDA it might as well be that one, but I don't see it happening. There's no reason for Donald to be the co-main on a free TV card when he's up for a Title Shot and his last two fights were on big PPVs.

There aren't any other good lightweights/featherweights that have fought recently to fill in for Gilbert unless Amirkhani has another post fight speech ready. So they should just scrap the Iaquinta fight and move him to another card.

• Locked thread