Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT-gs7bUlic

full on city destruction kaiju brawler? gently caress yes even if it plays/runs like poo poo i want to play it.

7/14

Whelp, time to get a ps4. Jet Jaguar AND Biolante? GOTY since MGSV is going to be GOTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

the new free to play Magic: Origins which is supposed to be kind of like a Hearthstone model where you really actually can be competitive without spending much money (or spending none)

comes out in 2 weeks so i guess i should go ahead and make the thread since i made the last two DOTP threads

the cool part is that this year you don't have to put ANY money up front so even if it sucks, no loss.

i'm hoping this fact has made Wizards design it really well

hahahahahahahahahaha

Lmao at the idea of a Wizards game that's balanced.

As for games this month, i burnt myself out on a couple, so i'll be rotating through some pick up and play games like Age of Wonders and Chivalry.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Currently playing
banner saga
alpha protocol
batman
dragonball
Ys
Gonna keep playing these games in july

How is banner saga, I got it on sale because i was in the mood for more story focused games. But that mood went away and i've yet to play it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The PSP and Vita are extremely awesome assuming you can read Japanese and live in Japan.

Otherwise, get a 3DS. Which reminds me that i got Bowsers inside Story and lost my 3DS. The saddest part is that i had the radical looking Fire Emblem Awakening DS with Animal Crossing and MegaMan 4 downloaded onto the sd in addition to Awakening.

RIP my village.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I need to play a metroidvania. Valdis Story any good?

We have an active Castlevania thread and they would give you a million suggestions and reviews if you ask. I did a quick look through the thread and the only real mention of Valdis story was that it's pretty good, but don't expect interesting story/characters and apparently there's some lovely platforming later in it?

Stux posted:

oh yeah you need to play it on a console really, kbm is just not suited to it at all unless you really love clicking over and over again

Wait, D3 doesn't have controller support on pc?

Jon Do posted:

i was gonna post a list of terrible posters who post in the chat threads (terribly) but then I realized

a) It would be really long

b) I am on this list

The chat threads themselves are just lists of the worst posters in games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Can't wait for the turnaround on DmC

There already has been. It's pretty much general consensus that it's a good game. It just has bad humor and the combat is easy and more shallow than other games in the franchise.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I have legit never seen praise for it anywhere

Well yeah, it isn't the best at its own game, and it doesn't introduce anything new.

It's kind of like when a new dynasty warriors comes out, it's good, but man it's not a notable game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dmc4 let me throw around a giant titty snake with my ghost hand and then later after flirting with her and cutting her in half she gave me the power to shoryuken. Good game.

My only complaint is how many drat weapons Dante gets and how little you get to play with some of them.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
FFV is the first mobile game I've purchased, and it's not only great fun, it's amazing on long rear end flights.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Snes JRPGs were great. I firmly believe many people who say they hate the genre got in during the PSX era or later, when things started to suck.

The problem with JRPGs is that it's very easy for developers to slap on a simple turn based system and add artificial grind and call it "challenging" or "rewarding" gameplay.
Add anime tittays and it will sell.

So the market is pretty flooded with subpar JRPGs. Like, I will say I hate JRPGs even though I love tales games and some earlier FF games. Because 90% of the time I'm right that they're bad.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Once you've played FFV, unless you're doing a berserker or solo challenge, you can run through pretty quickly. The Fiesta adds a lot of replayability because each run is different and you get to use new tools for every boss.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^^I totally forgot about baconator fries, I know where I'm going tomorrow night

precision posted:

McDonalds selling pizza is no new poop on me, they tried that in like 1983 as a test market thing

what is loving weird is taco bell trying to sell breakfast. if you're getting breakfast at taco bell, you're probably not picky about which exact foods are considered "breakfast"

Ummm, eggs and bacon wrapped in a waffle is a great idea and I appreciate the ingenuity.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Come to Kansas City, get some of the best barbecue in the world and bring your leftovers to Lowtaxs house

Or you can go to Colorado, whose only notable food is green chilli, probably the worst food to come out of New Mexico

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I hear there's a game on pc that's pretty popular called Counterstrike.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Four swords owns with 2 people though?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/app/383750/

Sooo uhhh, blacksploitation lovely platformer developed by a bunch of white dudes. Released in 2015.
And not a single review mentions how its whole aesthetic is deplorable and awful. Just that the platforming is bad.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not for nothing, cause I haven't played the game or anything, but how do you know they're white dudes

I mean sometimes its obvious just by how its designed and written but

Shovel Knight shovelless run hype

Looked up the dev team out of horrified curiosity.

Also for once I agree with a stux post.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

If you think a game is morally/ethically bad and it's already some unknown indie then your best course of action to just not talk about it. I mean it's already some obscure title nobody gives a poo poo about. Making noise and yelling "LOOK HOW BAD THIS IS" can only give it more exposure, especially if it gets picked up by the 10,000 strong "ironic reviews" brigade.

"Instead of pointing out something terrible so that maybe our community stops accepting that it's ok. Just let it go."

:wtc:

It got released onto the Wii, a console known for family and kids games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cyron posted:

holy poo poo did you pull a "think of the children" bullshit?

I meant it more in that even beloved nintendo is letting stupid poo poo like this through.

Idk if anyone has watched that games trailer, but it's clearly not well done or thought out blacksploitation. Very much the "lol black people" kind.

It also contains zero Funk despite its title.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

There's more to Persona (or at least Persona's intros) than simply being anime, and it's that sense of style this Vita game is trying and failing to copy.

Lanky Kong has more style than Persona, so failing to achieve that is a good thing no?

Unless for some reason you think as generic anime as you can get is style.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Shin Megami Tensei games have very excellent character art.

they are done very well yes. But a good artist doesn't mean the style is good or unique.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

unironically yes. you might not like it, but it's heavily stylized. like i don't even know how you could argue otherwise, the most defining characteristic of anime art is the stylization

Ymmv, but yeah to me it looks way too much like the japanese are trying to and failing to appropriate Korean stylings.

At least Japan inherently knows all the good poo poo is in Korea, even if they won't admit it.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

korea is one of the only countries on earth worse than japan just fyi

imagine japan but poorer and with evangelical christian zealots everywhere, also everyone's a hypernationalist and the literal daughter of the strongman dictator who ran the country for decades is the president to this day

Better Food, hardware, music, and art. Also the best Airport in the world.

As an American, there is no country that has killed or impoverished more than my home country, so a country being "bad" is a silly way to judge a country. Unless you're from one of those northern European countries that likes to pretend they didn't gently caress over half of Africa or rape and pillage back in the day.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What always weirded me out is that half-life 2 is a worse Halo with a physics gun. And it came out 3 years later.

But nope half life 2, best fps all time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Halo is garbage trash. Two weapons, slow as poo poo movement and floaty jumps are the worst and gently caress halo for making it standard.

I really don't understand "slow movement" as a complaint about the original halo (2 and beyond yes)
It had big levels that weren't composed of tiny corridors so yeah it might feel slower than other games of its time, but it was still pretty quick.
Caveat here: old school fps like duke, ut, and quake are of course faster, but things were already slowing down before halo.

Also floaty jumps were not made standard, which sucks because super Mario jumping over dudes and close range no scoping from above never got old.

As for the two weapons, I'd say anything beyond 4 is not only a waste, but with weapon specific ammo it becomes awful.
"Sure hope you don't like using the most fun weapon in the game, because there's no ammo for it in this stage, just ammo for the other 8 weapons that are all poo poo"
This is a problem I had with Wolf:TNO in the beginning. No pistol ammo even though it's the best drat weapon.

I will say gently caress you to halo and other modern fps games for making GBS threads on shotguns.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
B-b-but my immersion!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
One of those weapons is boring and lovely outside of fringe cases, the other is rad even when useless.

So I don't really see your point?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

arcsig posted:

Limiting your ammo for the best weapons in the game is an element of balance, not a flaw in game design.

Ummm no. Preventing the player from having more fun is bad game design.

If you want to balance, you can balance the level. Reducing ammo is loving lazy.

Honestly, with the exception of survival and things like MGS where you rely on found weapons. Games should give you infinite ammo, or at least a way to convert or resupply for the weapons you prefer.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

arcsig posted:

Of course, and the amount of available ammo for a weapon is part of what factors into its role. Going back to the BFG example, it's supposed to be a situational weapon for dealing with hordes of strong monsters, so it uses a lot of cells with each shot to prevent players from abusing it.

Or how about just balancing the weapons. Turns out big fuckoff lazers are slow, here's some small enemies. Or enemies that flank you when you're trying to reload a big rear end gun solo. Like i said, ammo scarcity is lazy rear end design and pretending it's elsewise is pretty silly.

Only thing dumber than ammo scarcity as game design is monster closets.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I would remove the rocket launcher from halo. Because it's the most boring rear end weapon in the game, and it takes up so much of the HUD.

But in all seriousness, the slow load time and low clip size already balance it. Try using it against a large group, you will get shredded before you can kill more than a few dudes. That or you hide, peak out and one shot, repeat.

The thing is, you can do the latter even with the starting pistol, so yes if someone wants an easy way out, at least let it be quicker.

If you want a player to not use a tool you gave them, you're going to need to give them a reason, and something as lazy and artificial as ammo scarcity is awful. "Here's this cool thing, only now we're taking it back after five minutes because it's too good"

Edit: And if you're going to do ammo scarcity, have it make sense. like how in TNO you can't use the moon rifles on earth, because all the ammo is on the moon. But also in TNO you can't use your pistol until halfway through the first stage. Out of all the ammo types an airman will have, it's pistol ammo, why the gently caress do you not have pistol ammo?

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 26, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Even with balance limitations Halo's power weapons are all still too strong to be standard weapons, if you could use the rocket launcher or grav hammer with the same frequency as the assault rifle or battle rifle it'd degenerate the entire match. You'd have to nerf them into the ground or more likely just remove them all together in order to live up to your idea of balance

Honestly it just sounds like you're confusing your own personal tastes with objective game design, alot of people like having scarce power weapons in shooters; it rewards strong map awareness and makes it fun to cut lose with something you don't normally have access to. Getting the Grav Hammer in Halo 3 and murdering all my friends who don't have grav hammers was one of my favourite multiplayer experiences, Reach leant more in the direction you're talking about and I found the multiplayer was infinitely more boring for it

Wtf are you talking about? No one mentioned multiplayer. Multiplayer balance is its own thing, and it's always hosed and exploitable even with giant teams devoted to balance.

Also lmao, "the game were you can fly around with a jet pack was more boring than the game with worse mp balance and slow movement"

Like your specific point about the Grav Hammer is you saying you loved a lack of balance.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

arcsig posted:

Multiplayer and single player balance are different, but some of the same methods can be used for each. What, in your eyes, makes limited power weapons totally okay for multiplayer but unacceptable for single player?

I never made that statement. Especially since limited power weapons imbalance multiplayer more than unlimited. One rear end in a top hat that memorized the map and guns for the best weapon is going to get more kills than his skill would get. Everyone having access puts everyone on equal footing.

As for the difference in mp balance vs sp. It's because the goal of balance should be for fun. In mp, one person having fun shouldn't ruin anothers. In sp, only the pc needs to have fun.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Or you stop and switch, because the souls games give you more than enough breathing room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

welp 4 dollars down the drain.

At least it's not as big a waste as Persona.

• Locked thread