Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT-gs7bUlic

full on city destruction kaiju brawler? gently caress yes even if it plays/runs like poo poo i want to play it.

7/14

There's also that kickstarted kaiju game full of creepypasta monsters.

And Gigamaidens :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hubris.height posted:

terry gilliam is awesome

i like him as a metaphor for the games industry

Much like Terry Gilliam, the games industry hasn't been good since the early 90s :troll:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I haven't really been following the Star Citizen bullshit too closely as of late but they just announced that the FPS portion of the game has been "delayed indefinitely". :toot:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

Honestly so far I think it's better than III.

On one hand it doesn't have armies of shotgun-toting gangsters that can blow up your car seconds, but on the other hand it has some of the grindiest side activities in the entire franchise. The car dealership where you have to do like 8 different extreme driving stunts and if you fail once or your car blows up you have to start all over again from scratch was some serious bullshit.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Motto posted:

I never had one, but didn't the PSP have a decent library by the end?

It never really got over the handicap of being a 3d-oriented system with only one analog joystick.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Colonel posted:

I have to forgive Policenauts for every flaw it has because I'm pretty sure that bomb disarming sequence was the greatest thing of all time. Constantly dying there went from frustrating to absolutely loving hilarious.

Playing his older games just makes you appreciate Kojima even more. I like the conversation in Snatcher where you can call a phone sex line and they use Gillian's inability to speak beyond PG-level innuendo to prove to him that he's stuck in a video game.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Fire up the MadCatz death watch:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/07/02/mad-catz-reports-debt-warning-and-additional-credit-to-ship-rock-band.aspx

they've been doing everything in their power to THQ themselves with overproduced, overpriced hardware so there's zero surprise that they're in the shitter.

RIP that one lovely third-party controller that you only owned because the store bundled it in with the console/game you wanted and all your friends fought over who was stuck with every time you busted out Mario Party.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Jerkcity dating sim

> what about nuts
> what about balls
○ what about fat queer dicks

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Devil May Cry 4 has got to be one of the biggest cases of people pulling a complete 180 on a game ever. When it came out all the fans hated it because it wasn't as good as 3 and you didn't to play as Dante much and it recycled every level and boss multiple times and was obviously built around Nero's abilities, and now the re-release thread is nothing but gushing praise and reminiscing about how amazing it was.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nasgate posted:

There already has been. It's pretty much general consensus that it's a good game. It just has bad humor and the combat is easy and more shallow than other games in the franchise.

The humor is pretty good at times, it's a game that opens with your dude flying around naked with a slice of pizza covering his junk and later on he and a giant monster have a shouting match with each other and then you jump into a Fox News graphic and fight a literal talking head that is to Bill O'Reilly what Senator Armstrong was to Dick Cheney.

The serious parts are bad just like literally every other DMC, it's just angry punk teenager bad instead of weepy anime bullshit bad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

theultimo posted:

The METAL MUSIC

THE TIME HAS COME

AND SO HAVE I

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

how much saints row IV do i need to play before i can fly around? driving loving sucks.

You don't get to fly in 4, you just do super-jumps and glides like in Prototype. Gat Out Of Hell is the one where you can fly.

You unlock the super jump pretty early in the game, upgrade it a few times and you'll never need to drive again. Same with super speed once you get the vortex upgrade that makes you push aside everything in your path.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Heavy Lobster posted:

Are there any fun gimmick runs in the first Paper Mario other than waiting to upgrade health last? Unlike TTYD, BP caps at 30, so you can't just level it up for almost the entire game, and I can't really think of anything other than maybe blowing a lot of money on Chet Rippo and living with the consequences.

I recall there being a gimmick build based around never upgrading your health and relying on badges that give you huge buffs when your health is at danger/peril levels, dunno if that's what you're referring to but if not then look that up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Is there a rule that every thread in Games has to have a dadjoke in its title or is it just one of those things that has been happening for so long that nobody really questions it anymore.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Quest For Glory II posted:

Magicians & Looters and Super Panda Adventures also

And Rex Rocket

I haven't played Super Panda Adventures but it's 99 cents on Greenman Gaming today, even cheaper if you use the 20% off coupon code GMGSUM-MERSAL-E20OFF.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
gently caress

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chomp8645 posted:

What it say?

Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo, is dead.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you're buying a used game then why not just emulate/:filez: it since the developers aren't going to make any money off of your purchase anyways and 99% of the time an emulator will give you the superior experience.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

because "better on vinyl" has been overapplied to all media and people are dumb hoarders

B-b-but it's got the arcade feel!
________/

Accordion Man posted:

Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe too.

Those were both originally Gamecube games and work way better on it, the load times for the PS2 version of Killer7 were awful.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The PS2 had a lot of rad action games that were dragged down by forced stealth/platforming levels that every other game from the era fell victim to. Like Blood Will Tell, a batshit game about a Japanese guy whose limbs and organs were stolen by demons so he has them replaced with prosthetics that have swords and machine guns in them and goes off to fight 48 different boss battles to get them all back. Or Shadow of Rome, which was a sequel to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar play and let you smash people's heads with maces or beat people to death with their own limbs after you cut them off.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Do people still defend AVGN because he knows a lot about horror movies as if that is in any way special or noteworthy when it comes to wacky tryhard internet critics?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Baldur's Gate 1+2 were great when they came out but outside of that very specific context it doesn't hold up. Unless they release a time machine that lets you go back to being a kid on summer break with infinite free time who thinks that the phrase "giant miniature space hamster" is the funniest thing ever and a villain who is evil for reasons other than evil's sake is some deep mindblowing poo poo it's just going to be a boring unbalanced slog.

If you want to play an Infinity engine game play Planescape: Torment if you're interested in story or Icewind Dale if you want super :spergin: tactical combat, otherwise just play Pillars of Eternity because it captures the feel of playing those old games while actually being fun to play.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Why do people on SomethingAwful, a website whose main distinguishing feature when most of the posters in this thread registered was the fact that it literally banned memes in the name of keeping the riff-raff out, not appreciate the sick anachronistic internet memes this Mexican wrestling game drops constantly.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I used to kind of hate Paul Robertson but now that he's willing to put his animation skills to work for people who can actually write stories and make characters I like him a lot more.

The episode of Gravity Falls where one of the characters falls in love with an evil sentient Japanese dating sim was amazing and he did all of the sprite animation for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqef_yF-VAI

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box A posted:

Didn't he also do the Street Fighter character?

Yes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hubris.height posted:

kristen schaal can do no wrong in my book. she should do voice work for video games imho

Ubiart is making a Gravity Falls game for 3DS so she'll be in that, at least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Who actually watches 10+ minute youtube videos with custom preloader images.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F97am9_N2I

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

theultimo posted:

I've gone beyond zork,but someday I'll return to zork.

Want some rye?

'Course ya do!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box A posted:

90s kids dodged a bullet there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njj-t-WNdag

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It was the 90s, they even gave Vampire: The Masquerades a TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRGS0CHQHM

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

i know this has very little to do with video games but i had to tell someone that i just now found out that there's a wiki for every They Might Be Giants song and for every single loving song there is a 10 page list of essays interpreting it, because of course there loving is

Wikis are amazing. Last time I had to go on the Terraria wiki it advised me that the cell phone item is actually a reference to Kirby & The Amazing Mirror because it too had a cell phone in it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah I remember not having any clue why people were hyped for it at E3 2014. Game has looked like boring poo poo since day one.

Space combined with procedural generation seems to tickle a very specific part of the nerd brain, from Spore to Star Citizen to Starbound people get so caught up in their fantasies of an ~endless world with infinite opportunities~ that even if the game was actually good it would still be a letdown to them.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

KILLSCREEN should be a sci-fi action thriller movie from the late 1980s, starring Arnold.

I can't wait to find out what sick killscreen reference they cram into Pixels, the newest videogaming adventure from Adam Sandler.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The No Man's Sky devs bragging about putting a bunch of Jaden Smith quotes in the game was when I knew my disinterest was completely justified, because if there's one thing a game about meditative space exploration needs it's some epic may-mays.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

they have to show a guy making an upgrade to his ship so he can do something he couldn't do before because every video is the same and no one ever makes any form of progress that we are told is there. smh at this pr plan.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

who the gently caress bought all those turbografx 16s :psyduck:

i knew one kid that had one of those and we all laughed at him about it. even the kids with the master system

Without TurboGrafx we wouldn't have gotten Johnny Turbo, the best console mascot to not be Segata Sanshiro.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Blacksploitation is a lot like the 80s in that people with no actual exposure to or familiarity with it love to bust out lazy parodies based on what they think it's like.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like every time you talk about sex.

:holymoley:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black Dynamite owns. I just wish the Black Dynamite anime they made was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
South Korea is pretty cool but like 90% of it is from the US turning them into a first-world country just to spite the commies. Without that they would just be North Korea but with more circumcision.

• Locked thread