Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I copied this op from PLEASURE KEVIN

PleasureKevin posted:

hello

back in 2013 valve revealed their plans for the steam machine, which is a device that should have been called the steam box but wasn't.

it was to be released in november 2014, and 12 OEM's would be making a wide variety of different machines. supposedly.

most of the devices were extreme amateur hour made by companies with no known capacity to produce anything more than pre-built PC's in Lian-ling cases for a small mark up.

while passable as console on the outside, on the inside some had internal SD cards and USB wifi adapters

so valve delayed the launch of the steam machines for a full year. unfortunately this was not exactly fair to the one competent company that could actually produce such a device, Alienware. alienware had created a custom board for an Intel CPU with an nVidia 800-series mobile processor but with a little "+" (plus) sign after it, meaning "more" or "better" presumably. it was smaller than a PS4 or even Wii U and ran just about everything at about the same fidelity as the PS4 or Xbone. so alienware wisely said gently caress valve and released the thing with Windows 8 and a custom UI that booted Steam and other apps using just the Xbox 360 gamepad it shipped with.

so here we are a season away from the real launch of the steam machines. valve has re-revealed the OEM's and the weak hands like the above pictured have been forced out of the market and are no longer on the list. instead it's the Real Pros with off-the-shelf mini-ITX cases and components for prices barely competitive with newegg.

how about a rig from the guys at http://material.net

or one of these three who seem to all use the same exact OEM case.

Gigabyte is a name we can trust, they're selling a box with sweet Intel integrated graphics for only 599 US dollars. you could buy an Xbox 360 and a Wii for that.

to quote valve's John Carmack, Gabe Newell, "we believe in giving gamers [ A LIST OF INCREASINGLY FATAL AND TERRIBLE ] choices [ IN WHICH THE ONLY WINNING ONE IS NOT TO PLAY, IF YOU'LL PARDON A PUN ] ". emphasis added and also fictional.

so anyway i guess i'm just trying to get the hype train going.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

will it be a good os? or a pos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I did not ask his permission :mrgw:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i thought stemoss came out years ago?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
did you know this post does not get any better c/p'd into the 'pos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
netcraft confirms steamos dying

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Steamos moved to debian 8 from 7 recently. It is cool becaue 8 has a version of gnome that is not trash.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol what forum did that originally get posted in

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol what forum did that originally get posted in

the blue one

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Rahu posted:

a version of gnome that is not trash.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I am normal.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
more like steamingOS

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
(:iiapa:)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
we better quarantine this thread too, just to be safe

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the year of Linux on the bespoke gaming console

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
pleasurekevin

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome ftw

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Pretty sure SteamOS is quickly going to be discontinued now that MS seems to be less hell bent on self destruction.

I would have panicked too after seeing Metro and Windows RT for the first time!
We should probably also thank Microsoft for making their app store so unbelievably terrible that Windows is still the primary platform for Steam.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

error1 posted:

Pretty sure SteamOS is quickly going to be discontinued now that MS seems to be less hell bent on self destruction.

We should probably also thank Microsoft for making their app store so unbelievably terrible that Windows is still the primary platform for Steam.

exhibit one: input one, wandows ecks

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i just want to thank kevin, his post that i stole gave me pleasure

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

error1 posted:

nah they need to keep it going as a hedge because like all companies ms really likes to gently caress up

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
what's the bare minimum to get some sick steam streaming going

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
and have they sorted out the worlds best controller the Sony PlayStation 4 DualShock for Linux yet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

more like steaming pile of poo poo os

pram
Jun 10, 2001
sposos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Your Operating System is a Piece of Steam

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
cheam

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

ahmeni posted:

what's the bare minimum to get some sick steam streaming going

dont buy a whole steamputer, just one of these jawns http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380. $50

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

dont buy a whole steamputer, just one of these jawns http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380. $50

this appears to not exist yet?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
can microsoft afford to buy valve?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
drat... this os

is a real pos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ricochet twwwooooo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

can microsoft afford to buy valve?

valve is a privately held company iirc

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Fayez Butts posted:

how fast do u think someone will put xbmc or some other media player setup on it?

cause honestly apple tv + transcoded media sounds like my dream media player

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

how fast do u think someone will put xbmc or some other media player setup on it?
its called "kodi" now, op

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I booted this up on my box and found it to be largely a pos. I tried using it for a week but found no advantages over Ubuntu.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Space-Pope posted:

cause honestly apple tv + transcoded media sounds like my dream media player

if that's what you really want why not just plex to your roku

the douchiest sentence i've ever written

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 5, 2015

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ahmeni posted:

valve is a privately held company iirc
Well yeah it's obviously up to Gabe to accept/decline whatever amount, I'm just interested if there's ever been some sort of rough independent valuation to put it in some sort of ballpark. It seems unlikely Valve would be worth more than the cash MS has on hand, for instance.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ShadowHawk posted:

Well yeah it's obviously up to Gabe to accept/decline whatever amount, I'm just interested if there's ever been some sort of rough independent valuation to put it in some sort of ballpark. It seems unlikely Valve would be worth more than the cash MS has on hand, for instance.

probably not but valuations have no basis in reality other than techie jerkoff material. please don't live or work in sf

• Locked thread