Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I dislike lurker guns, but as it is left at the discretion of the player to use it or not, maybe it is not a bad thing.

It adds an element of player agency that wasn't there previously and, in theory, maybe generally, motivates discussion.

I just feel like there are post count padders. Another layer of meta play tacked on to support the model. It is interesting.

Anecdotally, I don't think a single lurker gun has gone unused since the mechanic was introduced. It's not as interesting as people make it out to be.

edit: not that it's a bad mechanic - it's good for the reasons you outline. but in PRACTICE, it's a bit more questionable because it's very hard for goons to hold back from shooting when it comes down to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Also disc roles for server no permissions

Roles assigned to channel. Permissions granted within channels?

Or permissions on roles in server and on channels?

:v:

Grant permissions for each channel directly to the person (you can assign permissions to an individual, not just roles) or people that should be able to see it.

Turn off view permissions for @everyone in every single channel. Have a single "landing" channel that you use to generate your invite, also with view for @everyone turned off.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is also a game for 12 people: Magical Girl Mafia - Fewer Girls, More Magic

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got part 1 of my Secret Santa gift! Thanks CPig!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

who wants to be comod and not play in another busb abomination of a gam

is this harry potter

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
busb pls post hogwarts year 2

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Retro Futurist posted:

Thank you for the games BK, I'm sure they're lovely though I won't find out until Xmas because that is how it's done you monsters

look when packages come with your name on them you don't know if it's something you ordered or if it's a box of bees

speaking of! i got a second package of jerky from CPig, thereby completing the dark bargain. it is:

Thanks Cpig!!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't talk about ongoing games! :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe you would say such hurtful things about my good friend Murmur Twin.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wish a very merry Christmas to my friends and a very TEDIOUS Christmas to my enemies.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

Mona which Kamen Rider should I watch after I’ve finished OOO’s? I’m about halfway done.

I have never seen any other Kamen Rider than OOO’s so it is currently Peak Kamen Rider for me.

I’ve also never seen any Super Sentai except Power Rangers.

tia~

Kabuto. It's #iconic. Secondary recommendation is Den-O.

Do not watch Decade. It's bad and trash.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Final Fantasy Mafia ended in a TOWN victory!

Thanks to everyone who played and/or watched!

The ending of this game was very worth reading. GJ Ice for putting together a really interesting setup!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy's game just filled, so:

It's the eve of the 102nd annual Copcon, a celebrated event attended by valiant and distinguished police officers from the world over! For those who have the often-stressful duty of protecting our fair citizens from themselves, this is a rare chance to mingle with other like-minded defenders of justice and blow off some steam while swapping war stories over coffee and donuts. Sure, things have been a little tough for the good ole boys in blue lately, what with public opinions being as they are. But surely nothing could go wrong with an esteemed event like this... right?

:siren: All Cops Are Bad :siren: is a closed-setup game of Mafia for 16 players.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Jimmy's game just filled, so:

It's the eve of the 102nd annual Copcon, a celebrated event attended by valiant and distinguished police officers from the world over! For those who have the often-stressful duty of protecting our fair citizens from themselves, this is a rare chance to mingle with other like-minded defenders of justice and blow off some steam while swapping war stories over coffee and donuts. Sure, things have been a little tough for the good ole boys in blue lately, what with public opinions being as they are. But surely nothing could go wrong with an esteemed event like this... right?

:siren: All Cops Are Bad :siren: is a closed-setup game of Mafia for 16 players.

Two spots left for this!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

lol whats it like being so unfunny

Turn your monitor on

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Oh heck, I got busy with work and I forgot all about the Royal Rumble being tomorrow, so short version is quote this post and you’ll get a random number assigned and if your number wins either Rumble you get a prize.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ernie. posted:

now that the avatar service is down

how can i find my old avatars so i can bring back some personality to my posts

The best way to do it is this:

Your avatar is currently hosted at https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4f/84/00189414.0009.png. This means that (usually) changing the last number to 0001-0008.png will pull up your prior static avatars, while starting from 0001.gif onwards will show you your old .gif avatars.

The one you're looking for is here: https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4f/84/00189414.0003.gif

edit: https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/4f/84/00189414.0004.gif is a bit bigger version of it actually

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome! It's not 100%, I think there are some chunks of time when avatars weren't saved - I know others have tried that same method and reported that it didn't have all of their avatars. But regardless, the clapping cactus was saved and that's what counts!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

How do you guys play your rl Mafia games?

I usually make sure people are a bit drunk (but not too) throw in some sort of incentive towards winning / against losing.

Then we sit in a circle and I play theme songs for each role there is during nighttime so people know when to open their eyes / keep them closed. (Even if there isn’t a cop I’ll play a cop song. )

Music covers up any sort of movement and people can easily point towards who they want to save / kill / whatever.

Any more tips from the crowd?

One Night Ultimate Werewolf and its expansions basically do all this for you, including the nighttime announcements (there's a phone app) and pregame stuff.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

Edit: one thing I want to try is not having traditional night with closed eyes and such and just having folks text in their orders. People are on their phone all the time anyway, think having a few minute break where people can go to the bathroom or whatever and it’d be easy to send a message in, but haven’t gotten to try that yet

Ooh this is a solid idea, I like it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

but summer is pretty much already over?????

*shelves plans for another year*

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run Pottergame 2 in the Australian winter/springtime :h:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

Done with mafia. Community is dead. Later all.

Farewell! You're wrong! Best wishes!

Somberbrero posted:

I'll be launching a big game after dunes is done. I'll launch a small game nowish if there's interest.

Definitely go ahead and launch a game IMO.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I actually considered running a play-by-post version of that on the forums but my initial research indicated that there are some nuances to it that would be difficult to translate into online play. That being said, I love the idea and may try to make it work regardless after Everdunes is done in a couple of months.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
and leave him there, yes

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That is insanely cool and I can't wait to hear more about this!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is it a faux pas to talk in very general terms about games in progress? cause this fuckin game jfc

It is one of the biggest faux pas possible, yeah - don't do it, wait till the game is over. If you're dead, ask the mod if there's a deadchat/spectatorchat you can vent in.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mikujin posted:

This I guess:

Why the gently caress would you cross post this for no good reason? Come on, dude.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mikujin posted:

It wasn't malicious; anyone can hit post history.

Really? You're actually doubling down on being creepy and cross quoting from E/N into a completely unrelated thread?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

did you just invent Juggalos

WAAAAGH WAAAAGH

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

I want to come up with an Assassin in the Palace variant where the optimal strategy isn't just "everyone votes silently until they get lucky and hit the assassin".

Edit: I had an idea where every guard knows the identity of the king, but also the identity of another guard, and they only win if that other guard also survives. Except no two people have the same guard they want to protect, and no two people want to protect each other.

Example:
A is King.
B is Assassin.
C, D, E, and F are all guard.

A wins if he survives to the end.
B wins if the king dies.
C only wins if both A and D are alive at the end.
D only wins if both A and E are alive at the end.
E only wins if both A and F are alive at the end.
F only wins if both A and C are alive at the end.

I feel like there's some game method by which this is breakable but I like the concept!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Before you can play in my IRL Mafia game, you must learn ASL, so you can poo poo-talk the living players at night without them noticing.

:aslol:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat that's a GREAT proofing basket! Please share your bread progress with me, I would love to see how it goes!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
E: nvm

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Bastardly posted:

i'm worried that SA mafia is dead :(

lol my dude, c'mon. there are plenty of games, including a 42-person soldiers game starting in two days. It's FINE.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the biggest shift from previous years is that people tend to only play in one game at a time these days, rather than signing up for multiple games at once. But there's a pretty steady stream of new games as previous ones end - please do make a chart though!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Hey what's the current consensus on saying 'lynch'? It has been a while since i played, and I see people now saying lunch / cuddle... is this to avoid implications of the word, or what?

Yeah "lynch" is an unsavory word IMO. Use it or not as you like, but there's an active contingent of folks who won't. I like "execute" as an alternative personally.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alli again posted:

You can also now set pronouns in your Votefinder user profile. To do this you can go to My Profile (from the top menu) after logging in and set them. Once this is done, it will look like this

Also I added amberpos theming. I'm not sure why. It might have just been to irritate Podima

PLEASE revert amberpos

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't engage Lumpen.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

alli again posted:

Yeah, you can go to the posts and each post has a dropdown where you can say "this post starts (the current / the next) day". :)

Anyway, I ... think it's fixed. It was a really weird issue and I'm still wrapping my brain around it. But it worked on beta so I am pushing it to live. RF if you can double check it when you get a moment - that'd be great!

This is what I use for midday executions in the case of lurker/lights out executions, it's a good feature so you can finetune exactly which post to start counting from for the new "day." Thanks for the fix, Alli!