Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm making Roy Choi's recipe this weekend:
https://www.poketo.com/blogs/journal/recipe-roy-choi-s-kimchi

I'm just leaving out the fish sauce/oyster sauce and the seafood (though using a little miso paste sounds like a great idea, maybe a touch of hoisin to make up for the oyster sauce)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

This looks really good and I want to make it. When you talk about the size discrepancy with Kenji's tiny cabbages, did you end up going with using "1 large head napa cabbage" or "about 1 pound total?"

I just used one large cabbage.

Segue
May 23, 2007

If anyone gets in the mood for easy desserts during berry season I've been making the hell out of this vegan clafoutis. Works with anything though I'm partial to blackberries or blueberries.

And the bonus is if you use sweetener instead of sugar, it's astonishingly healthy for a dessert or sweet breakfast with the silken tofu and almond flour.

I also use black salt instead of regular salt, as I do in a lot of baking, for that custardy egg flavour.

https://projectveganbaking.com/vegan-cherry-clafoutis/

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Eeyo posted:

The last time I made it I used Kenji's recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html I think the miso worked fairly well, it gives a nice rounded savoriness.

Kenji's recipe diverges from traditional kimchi (as in the way it's most often prepared) in a few ways. One is the use of miso instead of fish sauce/shrimp paste for the umami flavor. Another is he did not use a rice flour paste in the gochugaru mixture. He also made the kimchi more like sauerkraut in that the napa cabbage is not rinsed after salting. That being said, when I've used that general outline (napa cabbage, miso, garlic, ginger, gochugaru, and chives prepared more like sauerkraut) I've like the results. But I can't compare it to traditional methods since I've never made it that way before.

If you do try out this recipe, I'll also note some things which need adjustment:

- Kenji calls for "1 large head napa cabbage ... about 1 pound total". I don't know what kind of napa cabbages that guy has been buying, but in no way is a large cabbage only 1 pound. Maybe 2-3 pounds. The about 1 cup water was just about right for a large head I think. The garlic may be a little too much, can't remember how much I used. Add the miso to taste, you may want a little more/less depending on your miso.
- For salt, it may just be better to weigh it out based on your cabbage weight. The general recommendation for kraut is 1.5-2% by weight of veggies. So add 2% the weight of your cabbage + radish, if using. When using brines it's 5% so last time I adjusted the salt content of the gochugaru paste (gochugaru, garlic, ginger, water, and miso) to be 5%. If you weigh it out there's no way for it to be too salty.
- The times I made it I just microplaned the garlic and ginger and didn't bother blending. Seemed to work fine, so if you don't have a blender or don't want to use one just do that.
- You can let it go for longer than a day on the counter. It's personal preference really. Kimchi is different from saurkraut in that kraut is fermented much longer at room temp.

Googling around, Hyosun from koreanbapsang.com (generally regarded to be a good source for Korean food) mentioned the use of kelp broth which sounded interesting. That may add in a little sea taste but I've never tried it before. Her recipe uses the traditional steps (rinsing the wilted cabbage and using rice flour paste) like I mentioned before, but I've never made her recipe so I can't say if it's good or not. https://www.koreanbapsang.com/vegan-kimchi/

This is freaking awesome thank you so much

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
One of my favourite dishes also happens to be vegan!

Rice and peas.

I used black beans because that's all I had, coconut milk, coconut oil, a habanero, garlic, allspice, nutmeg, s+p and there would be spring onions in there if i had some!

Also it's not traditional but if I'm having this by itself for that added jamaican-y taste I mix in a spoonfull of jerk marinade near the end.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What are your laziest meals that are still reasonably healthy? I'm talking on the level of like, rice with a fried egg on top or some leftover rotisserie chicken shredded onto some lettuce, in terms of effort. I just have not had much psychological energy for cooking lately, especially because I like to cook for people and I'm stuck isolating. Give me your lazy-rear end survival vegan meals please. Apologies if this is covered on an earlier page.

Also, does anyone else feel gross eating grocery store hummus? Either the preservatives or the oil content in stuff like Sabra hummus always upsets my stomach.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

Cephas posted:

What are your laziest meals that are still reasonably healthy?

Rice + bean + hot sauce + optional vegetable.

Sometimes I'll batch prep ingredients without a meal in mind when I have the energy. Like, just saute a bunch of onions and keep in the fridge for the rest of the week and throw on anything.

This cookbook is great and kinda related: https://www.lbveg.com/freebook.php

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cephas posted:

What are your laziest meals that are still reasonably healthy? I'm talking on the level of like, rice with a fried egg on top or some leftover rotisserie chicken shredded onto some lettuce, in terms of effort. I just have not had much psychological energy for cooking lately, especially because I like to cook for people and I'm stuck isolating. Give me your lazy-rear end survival vegan meals please. Apologies if this is covered on an earlier page.

Also, does anyone else feel gross eating grocery store hummus? Either the preservatives or the oil content in stuff like Sabra hummus always upsets my stomach.

Get a bunch of some kind of veggie, toss it with a tiny bit of oil and whatever other spices and maybe some sauce, throw it on a baking sheet and just roast it for half an hour. Make a little rice, done.

Or, cut tofu into really thin slabs, toss it with spices and flour, sautee it until crispy, pour in a little sauce and let it cook down and get nice and glaze-y then slap it in a sandwich with lettuce and a tomato. My favorite is a little gochujang whisked with soy sauce and a little bit of maple syrup or honey. I have eaten so many tofu BLTs and they are always great.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 9, 2020

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Imbroglio posted:

Rice + bean + hot sauce + optional vegetable.

This is pretty much what I throw in a burrito when looking for something quick. I'll also do stuffed peppers with pretty much the same ingredients, it's super light-prep and just goes in the oven for a bit.

Fried rice and stir fry dishes are fairly easy, too. For the latter I'll usually buy those packaged stir fry veggie mixes and then throw it in a wok with some noodles and tofu/quorn pieces.

Also, you could buy a big container of salad and portion it out into mason jars with cherry tomatoes, fruit, seeds, etc. and just add the dressing as you eat each one or portion dressing out into individual tiny containers. Doing this pretty much makes it very easy to have a salad everyday.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have a large variety of noodles I bought when I was thinking "I'll make a lot of noodle stir-fries!" and then never used because my first stir fry attempts did not turn out well

anybody have any recommendations on how to not suck at it, or just recipes to follow

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

I have a large variety of noodles I bought when I was thinking "I'll make a lot of noodle stir-fries!" and then never used because my first stir fry attempts did not turn out well

anybody have any recommendations on how to not suck at it, or just recipes to follow

For simple saucing I like to do a 50/50 mix of soy and mushroom sauce. You can fancy things up with garlic, ginger etc but that is a solid base for a really lazy stir fry sauce.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Inceltown posted:

For simple saucing I like to do a 50/50 mix of soy and mushroom sauce. You can fancy things up with garlic, ginger etc but that is a solid base for a really lazy stir fry sauce.

is mushroom sauce something I should look for in the store or making myself? I've never heard of it and I don't know if that means I'm ignorant or if it's obscure

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

is mushroom sauce something I should look for in the store or making myself? I've never heard of it and I don't know if that means I'm ignorant or if it's obscure

It's the vegan version of oyster sauce, usually sold in the same spot in shops, and probably a lot easier to buy than make but I've never looked into making it so maybe that is wrong.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can find it in international supermarkets but it's never quite as good as the stuff you get in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's not super healthy, but my depression-meal is panko-breaded sweet potato (bread them, fry until the right colour and then oven bake for 10 minutes), rice and a japanese/chinese curry sauce from paste, with some random veg thrown in. (generally golden curry or maysan paste, I think maysan is more likely to be vegan)

Cook enough rice and you can have like 3 meals out of it with minimal effort.

The only pic I have is from I got halfway through making it the other day, discovered I had no breadcrumbs left and ended up using plain instant noodles for the breading. Admittedly I used eggs from my own chickens to stick it, but you can sub that out easily enough, or leave out those for just easy curry rice.

From what I remember, the second pic is with potato, sweet potato, courgette and some turnip or parsnip. I can't eat onions, so none of that.

Lately I've been using the leftover rice to do a nice fried rice with whatever veg is left in the fridge, courgette, broccoli, some aubergine... Fry with a little garlic-infused oil and whatever, steam the veg for a bit, then throw in some soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, msg and the rice, and cook until it's dry. It works! Maybe some of that mushroom sauce, too...

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/pasta-chickpea-sauce-recipe.html

This recipe with canned chickpeas is my go to lazy meal. Fry some garlic and red pepper flakes, throw in a can of chickpeas with the liquid, add parsley, blend, mix in pasta and eat. A decent side to this is broccoli roasted in the oven seasoned with the same garlic and red pepper flake mixture.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

cheetah7071 posted:

Undercook the noodles and then mix them in at the last minute so you don't turn them to a gross paste

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

cheetah7071 posted:

Some favourites (also works with fried rice, or cooking things to eat with rice if I'm very lazy):

Black Bean: garlic chilli and black bean, then add ingredients and cook, little bit of rice wine, serve with sesame oil

Indonesian style: garlic, kecap manis (sweet soy), some hot sauce of your preference for heat, literally that's it and it's amazing.

Lao Gan Ma: I make no apologies for having a one indredient stir fry.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I generally have noodles or some frozen black bean patties I keep in the fridge for situations where I just want a quick meal.

My favorite goto as of late has been has been a chickpea "tuna" salad. Mash down a can of chickpeas, throw in some mayo/aquafaba/avacado, your favorite spices, whatever veggies you have lying around, and you're done. If you want to be a little fancy you can use a food processor to get a better consistency, or go the extra step and just make falafel which you can bake to make it healthier.

If you have some extra tofu, just season it with lemon pepper, bake it, and you got some lemon pepper tofu for rice, sandwiches, etc.

For something sweet, i'll have some chia pudding which is essentially just chia seeds + milk which opens it to a lot of customization. I generally mash a banana, and add some maple syrup for mine.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Japanese curry has been our quick meal. It takes almost no prep, especially if you have a rice maker. While the rice is going you can chop your vegetables (we use some combination of potato, sweet potato, carrot, and onion). Then mix up your favorite curry roux and simmer the vegetables in it while the rice finishes. If we're feeling fancy we'll serve it with a sliced spicy chik'n patty on top for an authentic* katsu experience.

We've tried over a dozen different curries since quarantine began. My favorite is the Medium Hot Kokumaro, but it's not vegan. I would say that Java Curry is the best vegan option but Golden Curry is fine if that's all you can find. Both benefit from using sweet potato as one of your vegetables.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My comfort food is potato casserole.

Yesterday I made one with broccoli, though non-vegan. Potatoes and broccoli stem get coarsely sliced, spiced and baked in a casserole pan for 30 minutes. Then I top it with charred broccoli tips and cheese sauce and put it under a broiler for a bit. You can leave out the cheese if you want to go full vegan.

I also make a Turkish inspired variant: Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, spices and olive oil go into a casserole dish and it gets baked until it is crusty. Around 1 hour. Traditionally you include chicken, I like to sub in mushrooms or green beans.

Both take a long time to cook, but require almost no active work.

If you want something quicker overall: take the seriouseats recipe for Columbian pressure cooked potato stew and sub in mushrooms or chickpeas for the chicken.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A lot of the stuff I've posted in the potato thread fits into the "comfort food/easy food" category for me at least.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

VictualSquid posted:

Both take a long time to cook, but require almost no active work.

If you want something quicker overall: take the seriouseats recipe for Columbian pressure cooked potato stew and sub in mushrooms or chickpeas for the chicken.

quote:

Combine potatoes, .... Seal lid and cook under high pressure for 25

What is left of a potato after 25 minutes in a pressure cooker? Or is it supposed to thicken the stew?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zenithe posted:

What is left of a potato after 25 minutes in a pressure cooker? Or is it supposed to thicken the stew?

Depends on the cultivar. The softer ones turn into porridge, the harder ones can be carefully spooned out so that they melt in your mouth.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cephas posted:

OK, Cephas. I'm making a thread for you, and hope that others can chime in too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939838

I think this is an important enough subject that I'd like to have more input to maybe help each other out with. Even if the ideas aren't vegan, we can easily veganise most stuff.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 10, 2020

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cheetah7071 posted:

My usual "asianesque" stir fry sauce is totasted sesame oil, black vinegar, garlic, ginger, shaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and whatever hot sauce (lao gan ma/sambal olek/sriracha) - it works with most things and the only caveat is that if you use it with everything it all tastes the same.

Garnish is pretty easy and makes a lazy meal less depressing. You can trim and plant green onions and they'll come back up, smash some roasted peanuts in a ziplock while picturing your problem on it. A container of vegan furikake would be nice too.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm really trying to get comfortable with seitan and figuring out nice little shortcuts so I can mess with it more often. We got a tub of it from our CSA this week and I decided to just make a big fried pile to bid farewell to the summer. Half of it is tossed in sort of a citrusy barbecue sauce and the other half is dry, with a side of roasted potatoes and some fancy purple striped greenbeans that lost their lovely color in the oven. I also whipped up the aji amarillo sauce from the V Street cookbook and the last couple shakes of Benito's Old Coy Dog.

The texture was perfect-- it reminded my wife of Popeye's, she said, although to me it was a bit more like fried clams. Just chewy enough beneath the crunchy exterior.

Next time I'm going to return to making the seitan from scratch so I can think more in terms of cutlets or patties. I think it'd be great for a nashville hot chicken type thing.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Does anyone have any thoughts about slow cooking tofu, or any recommendations for recipes?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I do not know why you would want to slow cook tofu. It doesn't really benefit from it. What's the goal you're trying to achieve?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
No real goal in mind. I'm just curious as someone relatively new to vegan cooking whether it's doable or tasty or worth considering.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kgibson posted:

No real goal in mind. I'm just curious as someone relatively new to vegan cooking whether it's doable or tasty or worth considering.

I've made chilli with tvp in the past which ended up pretty good.

I feel like if you press your tofu, cut it, and toss in into whatever dish you're slowcooking, it'd come out pretty good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you could slow cook mapo tofu pretty well? Just for more soupy dishes where you want the tofu to be tender and saturated.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

kgibson posted:

I wouldn't bother. Even stuff like "braised tofu" tends not to be cooked very long. Tofu will pick up about as much flavor as it's going to pick up after a few minutes in a sauce at most, and long cooking doesn't do the texture any favors either.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Pressed, then frozen, then thawed tofu can make a decent bbq tofu in a slow-cooker. But it's not necessary - we only do that if we need to use a crockpot for timing reasons, realistically simmering it on the stove for ~20 minutes gets you the same outcome.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I made vegan ramen in the instant pot today. My phone's camera is dog poo poo i am so sorry

browned a yellow onion, added the veg broth, deglazed the bottom

broth ingredients: soy sauce, white miso, rice vinegar, sesame oil, vegetable broth, dried shitake, kelp sheet, chopped leek, spice mix of ginger garlic pepper, and soy beans

in the pot. set it to 60 minutes will probably do longer next time

frying tofu and attempting to glaze carrots

tofu is fried, added a soy sauce/garlic powder/ginger powder/sesami oil/rice vinegar/chili oil (lao gan ma) sauce for them to simmer in and think about what they've done

ramen toppings. bok choy base & leaves, carrots, green onions, jalapeno

the bowl. After straining the broth I picked out as much of the shitake mushrooms as I could then blended them up with a bit of broth, which is the brown gravy looking slop in the front. Again, my phone is horrific i am sorry

verdict: good. will probably add more soy sauce or salt for the broth next time

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That looks stupendous! I've found this site on reddit to be a great source of vegan ramen ideas.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Kombu can be bitter if you let it cook too long so you can make a dashi with the vegetable stock first. Also don't cook miso (put in when dishing up). Other than that good work vegan 👍

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

So much ramen knowledge to learn

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m looking to make tacos next week. I’m pretty comfortable and happy with chickwheat based on this recipe, but I can’t seem to find something similarly delicious for ground beef.

I’ve tried strict seitan ground beef before and it’s just kind of gross and like, bread or bean curd. Maybe I just don’t have a good recipe but I’ve tried a few over the years. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe green lentils are the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

tuyop posted:

I’m looking to make tacos next week. I’m pretty comfortable and happy with chickwheat based on this recipe, but I can’t seem to find something similarly delicious for ground beef.

I’ve tried strict seitan ground beef before and it’s just kind of gross and like, bread or bean curd. Maybe I just don’t have a good recipe but I’ve tried a few over the years. Anyone have any recommendations? Maybe green lentils are the way to go?

Most people pick the beef out of their tacos to get at the delicious black beans. Don't worry about trying to replicate something and just own up to the fact that beans are best.