Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So. It came up in another thread, and I feel like something that is not comfortable to discuss is food when you're loving depressed. I'm not talking about those moments when you're kind of sad that your team didn't win the sports ball. I'm not talking those cheat days when you're travelling because of something lovely, and you shovel in whatever works. I'm talking those days when you're sad, and don't have the luxury of taking time off to be sad, because the light bill and the car note don't care how loving sad you are, they still need to get paid. So you suck it up, go to work, have a diet coke and a cigarette for breakfast, coast through on a honey bun from the vending machine or convenience store, and then come home with your stomach wrapped around your spine, and you're ready to consume the entire fridge, door and all, in one fell swoop. You open the fridge, and staring back at you are a stack of leftovers from the cheap takeout you ordered last night, but can't be arsed to eat. So dinner is a bag of potato chips and a bottle of wine.

There are ways to avoid this particular rabbit hole of malnutrition, and I've got some ideas, but I'm hoping that together we can come up with some more ideas.

Every winter, I know that I'm going to hit seasonal affective. The lack of sunlight when I wake up, and the lack of sunlight when I go home makes it feel like I've spent a whole rear end day at work, and no amount of sitting in front of a light box is going to convince me that I didn't just lose my entire day. I'm in hibernation mode. I want to sleep all the time. Because I know it's coming, I will do a couple of things to set myself up for success.

- I always have at least two varieties of nuts in the house. If you're allergic to nuts, but can eat sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, those work in the same ballpark, and will get you in the same state of not starving. Why nuts? Because I want something salty and crunchy, and I'd rather not reach for a bag of Ruffles or a sleeve of Pringles for a snack, which turns into eating the whole thing and turning into a meal. Yes it's salty, and got a fair bit of fat, but it's also got a bit of protein, and I don't feel like utter crap after eating a handful. This also goes for dried fruits. I'm quite fond of those fancy prunes that come individually wrapped. They're like a tasty little treat, and unwrapping one and eating it feels like an indulgence. It may sound silly, but it really does help lift up my mood when I want something a little sour and a bit sweet to counterbalance the cup of pistachios I've just eaten.

- There will be at least a couple of bags of frozen broccoli, frozen chopped kale, frozen cauliflower, frozen peas, and a bag of those mixed veggies. Why? Sometimes, when I haven't eaten vegetables in a couple of meals, and eating another peanut butter and jelly sandwich isn't really on, I want to eat something like a vegetable. I can take that bag of frozen broccoli, throw on a bit of oil, some sesame seeds, some garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and microwave it for a few minutes. It does the job to get some vegetables into me, with very little effort. If I'm feeling fancy, and I can knock up a pack of ramen, a handful of those frozen mixed veggies is really nice to add to the thing to make it seem more like a meal, and not a snack.

- I will keep blocks of firm tofu on hand, along with various spice mixes that make the tofu taste good. If you get good quality tofu, it's really tasty with some salt, a bit of ground red chilies, and whatever spice mix you like, eaten cold. You sprinkle on whatever seasonings you have onto your cubed tofu, give it a toss, and eat with a fork. It takes very little effort, and means that you got something that will sustain you longer than takeout.

- I have an air fryer. I will legit throw in a few samosas, some tater tots, or dumplings into that fucker, and have something hot sorted in like 15 minutes, while I shower. I tend to crowd the gently caress out of the air fryer, because I want to throw on enough in there that I don't have to go for a round two.

- I keep on hand a couple of jars of tomato sauce, some pita bread, and some pizza toppings, and throw that in the air fryer to cook up.

These are a couple of things that I've used to work for me when I'm in a really lovely place, but don't want to drink all my calories, or spend money that I don't have on takeout. I'm hoping that y'all take this as a safe space to share some of the stuff that's worked for you when you're in a lovely place, but still need to eat. I sincerely ask that we keep the judgement low, because none of this stuff is something that I'd want to admit that I'm doing on a regular basis. I'd like to show the best parts of myself, and maybe inspire someone to create something delicious or beautiful, but as of the past 6 months, it's been increasingly difficult to do.

I'm OK mentally. I have a support system that I lean on when things get rough. But I also know that not all of us are in a place where they feel that they can, and I want to give us a temporary respite from being "on" and share ideas to help us get through the rough times together. And as always, if you have the need to talk to someone, I'll listen as best as I can. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Shortly after college when I'd gotten settled into my first apartment I had to move back home on short notice to help with my dad's health. This shook up my life in a lot of ways and while I was happy to be able to help I was still very depressed off and on throughout that year. I had a job I didn't like very much with a commute that was suddenly twice as long and even though I knew I had my reasons to be back home I still felt like I'd hosed up in some way. I was usually in charge of making dinner but since I was vegetarian and nobody else in my family was I wound up eating a lot of plain rice with microwaved broccoli on top, which had also been my dinner of choice prior to that in my crummy little bachelorette apartment.

Once in awhile though my mom would make me a quesadilla. She made her quesadillas like she made her grilled cheeses-- black, overstuffed, and really cheesy. She'd just chop up whatever veggies she had and make these, like, enormous quesadillas that could barely even fold, and I'd completely drench them in hot sauce and we'd sit around chatting while I picked at this enormous wad of tortilla.. So even now if I'm feeling blue and it's late I'll cook up a quick and lovely quesadilla, cram it full of peppers and whatever leftover tofu or whatever is around, and overcook the hell out of it. It's extremely easy but it also scratches a potent nostalgia itch.

I also like to make crummy little fake curries out of potatoes and peppers and whatever else and have that with rice or on a pita. When I'm sad spicy food perks me up and making a spicy little veggie curry keeps me just busy enough that by the time I'm done eating I usually feel a little bit better.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Thanks for the thread, OP. For me a lot of the time depression food ends up being things I can “assemble” more than “cook”, so prepping stuff when able helps with that.

Depression salad: Often keep a big container of spinach or spring mix, get some of those nuts like you mentioned, feta or blue cheese crumbles that’ll last a while in the fridge, couple different dressings. Fried onions are pretty good and probably less terrible than croutons. Boiled eggs keep a few days and you can even do them in the kettle. You could buy peeled boiled eggs if you’re really desperate but that might increase your misery.

Can do chicken/turkey/ham etc depending on your interest and energy. Chicken can be anywhere from cooking it fresh, frozen, frozen or refrigerated precooked. When you are feeling especially bad sometimes the store has a sale on those Perdue strips and cutlets and stuff in the refrigerated section. Ham and turkey can even be pre-cubed. Similar re: bacon, you can make bits, buy bits, heck you can microwave it.

You can prep several of these during moments you have energy with just the dry ingredients and they’ll keep okay. It’s easy enough to customize what you’re feeling based on the moment, there’s nothing heavy in there that’ll make you feel worse, and you can adjust for your nutrition needs pretty easily.

I have less to write about it but the hot version of this is pretty similar where you just make a taco bowl with the simplified version of the regular fixings. I think key for me here is stuff that won’t spoil right away when you get too sad to cook so again that means ex. stuff you can freeze or buy already prepped, like individual avocado/guacamole stuff that’ll last like a month instead of 2 days.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I always keep a few jars of pasta sauce and pasta in the pantry, and italian sausage in the freezer. I like Rao's, but it's expensive so I only buy it on sale. The marinara I add sausage too, and zucchini or mushrooms if I have any. The vodka sauce I'll just eat plain on penne, or maybe add some frozen peas. Minimal cooking all around, but it's filling and hearty and comfort food. When I was a sad sack of poo poo early this year, pasta was all I wanted to eat for some reason, and just made a pound of pasta and ate it slowly all week.

I also like to do shrimp scampi because it's stupid easy, fast, and most importantly, it feels fancy and special. Keep a bag of raw, peeled shrimp in the freezer and you can have it anytime. Other things you need are always around in my house: garlic, white wine (if you don't drink wine, get it in those little single serve bottles), butter, some kind of fresh herb though it's not necessary, lemon or lime juice, old bay or other seasoning. The shrimp defrost in 5 minutes in cold running water, then take 5 minutes to cook, done. I keep a lot of broccoli in my fridge because it lasts for practically a month before it goes bad, and just steam a bunch in the microwave for a side. It's amazing drenched in the scampi juice, as is baguette that I've got in my freezer too. It's really a low effort:results ratio.

Campbell's tomato soup is a go-to, and to make it more of a meal with less work than a grilled cheese, I cook some elbow noodles to add in.

If I want a stupid easy stir fry noodle thing, I just mix equal parts brown sugar, sambal and soy sauce and pour it over cooked, drained, plain ramen noodles. Green onions, peanuts, any kind of meat or veggies you have, and crispy fried eggs are all great in/on it depending on what you have and your level of motivation.

Those little cans of Thai curry paste are great too. Keep one in the pantry along with a can of coconut milk for easy Thai curry. All you need is meat or veg, plus rice or rice noodles or whatever. It tastes delicious with just the curry paste and coconut milk so it doesn't matter what else you put in it.

Sometimes I'll just "bake" a potato in the microwave and eat it with lots of butter, sour cream and salt. I figure it's good potassium so oh well if that's all I eat all day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Now that I've been out of the industry a few years, baking is what I do when I'm depressed.

I can subsist forever on fish that'll put up with baking from frozen and some kind of frozen veggie, or canned tomato soup and stuff for grilled cheese, but the real comfort food tends to be 'it's 3am and I hate my life, time to make a batch of cookies'.

As such I keep the following in the house:
Flour
Unsalted butter
Oats
Raisins
Peanut butter
Eggs
Sugar

Pretty much all of it keeps forever except eggs, and I can and have put together a dozen oatmeal raisin cookies in half an hour including baking time because I'm feeling like trash and want something comforting. Mix 'em up, throw 'em on a silpat, and all that I really need to wash is the mixer bowl and beater.

Also, in the winter, I'll make up a couple gallons of chili, portion it out into delitainers, and stack them in the freezer. On those days I can't be arsed to do a drat thing, they're a little microwaving away from being food. Nuke a potato to bake it and throw the chili on top if I must have starch.

I'm also still poor white boy enough that the absolute worst days get answered with hamburger in cream gravy and toast points.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 10, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

No cooking required, just pile the chicken and vegetables onto the bread, squirt some mayo on top, wrap it up and eat it. If you can be bothered cooking at all then you can buy meat or seafood and cook it instead of buying precooked chicken. If you want a change but don't want to cook, get ham or salami. Sometimes I get different vegetables, but mostly only when the "superfoods" one is sold out because it's the best.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Catfishenfuego posted:

[mashed beans] Sautee with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and a little lemon juice and put it on good toast.

This is really good for several reasons for me:

1. I have a rosemary bush in the garden and it gives me an excuse to use it which is theraputic a bit.
2. Very visceral, little effort but you still get to mash things
3. Nice simple flavours
4. Healthy too.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
When I am working from home/on a weekend, I care more about work time then cooking time and go for lazy casserole. And especially when it is winter depression I really need something that feels warm.
By lazy I mean that I throw ingredients into a casserole pan and put it into the oven without any further work. This works well for potato casserole, and ok for noodle ones.
And if I feel more motivated while assembling the stuff I can cook something better from the same ingredients while listening to a podcast.
Or if I have less total time I can throw all that stuff into a pressure cooker.

My emergency vegetable is frozen green beans. But I also buy lots of onions, so I never run out.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Rice, rice, and more rice. Sometimes I mix it up by adding other things while it's cooking, such as:

-Whole tomato (or a spoonful of tomato paste) and maybe some onion/garlic, fresh or powdered, whatever is on hand. It's kind of like really lazy spanish rice. Flavor isn't quite the same but it gets a vegetable in you when you can't be bothered to cook anything else
-Frozen mixed vegetables and a bouillon cube (or chicken stock if you have it). Learned this one from a friend who calls it "confetti rice". It was one of their comfort foods to have with baked chicken but it's pretty good on its own too.
-Other kinds of rice and grains, similar to Korean mixed grain rice. I usually do half short grain white rice, mixed with a random amount of brown rice, barley, a bit of quinoa, and a bit of black rice. Depending on how much black rice you use it turns the whole thing purple. It's a bit more nutritious than white rice, but requires a little more prep since you may need to soak the grains before cooking, especially the barley.

Sometimes I make rice soup when I want something more comforting, which usually consists of plain white rice and a pack of instant chazuke. Basically it's tea poured over rice and salty/savory toppings like seaweed, fish, roe, etc, and it's also pretty easy to make from scratch if you feel so inclined. Pre-cooked salmon from those little pouches is a pretty good topping, and so is furikake. It can be a good way to use up leftovers too.

Zosui is another really easy rice soup. All you really need is cooked rice, eggs, chives of some sort (or green onions would probably work), and a light broth like dashi or chicken stock. You can add in other vegetables or whatever you like but it's fine without them, and eggs keep drat near forever in the fridge.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sometimes I'll just "bake" a potato in the microwave and eat it with lots of butter, sour cream and salt. I figure it's good potassium so oh well if that's all I eat all day.

Heck, I do this all the time even when I'm not depressed. Potatoes are good, especially the little red ones. :colbert:

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Boiled eggs keep a few days and you can even do them in the kettle. You could buy peeled boiled eggs if you’re really desperate but that might increase your misery.

Eggs boiled in the electric kettle is one of my favorite lazy snacks. Add a bit of salt and/or vinegar to the water, put eggs in, boil water. Wait however long you like for firmer/softer yolks and that's all there is to it. The salt/vinegar is pretty important, though. It will help coagulate the whites so if a shell cracks you won't spend the rest of your evening cleaning egg out of the kettle. Works best in a kettle with a flat bottom and the element concealed in the base but honestly as long as it boils water you can cook an egg in it. :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
One of my very favorite cookbook authors is Peg Bracken, who hated to cook and assumed anyone with any brains also hated to cook. She was popular in the 50's-70's's with the "I Hate to Cook Book" which included recipes for one, based on the idea that even if you didn't like cooking, you could make something that would keep you alive, fairly easily, and it'd probably taste alright.

In her memoirs, she relates about her artistic unmarried aunt, who might eat cake all one week and stew all the next, and how that probably all works out in the end, or, if it didn't then at least you had a week where all you ate was cake and not a lot of people can say that!

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/i-hate-to-cook-book

quote:

“Some women, it is said, like to cook. This book is not for them,” begins one of the bestselling cookbooks of the 1960s. “This book is for those of us who want to fold our big dishwater hands around a dry Martini instead of a wet flounder, come the end of a long day.”

quote:

One of the instructions for “Skid Road Stroganoff” reads, “Brown the garlic, onion, and crumbled beef in the oil. Add the flour, salt, paprika, and mushrooms, stir, and let cook five minutes while you light a cigarette and stare sullenly at the sink.”

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I make a point of keeping batch meals prepped in the freezer, ready to go. Right now I've got homemade pasta sauce, chicken tinga, and beef stew - but anything that's relatively sauce heavy works well and can be reheated in a pinch, whether it's stovetop, microwave, or oven. Yes, you have to set aside some time to get the cooking done, but right now a meal is as simple as making some rice and reheating chicken tinga, the same with pasta + sauce. I get a bit of extra comfort knowing that I prepared the base dish myself, the main issue is you have to make a point of actually using it, because it won't last forever in the freezer.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

This was "I have no money and nothing left in the fridge, I haven't eaten much today and I am getting increasingly angry" meal of the day, to stop myself going £30 over budget and ordering a £20 takeaway.

Veg was half a sweet potato and some small potatos that I got on sale and couldn't be arsed to peel. I found some cabbage that'd been in the fridge for a month and 1/4 of a head of broccoli to steam over it. For protein I heated up some oil with chilli flakes, a touch of garlic oil, 1/3 of a pack of dashi I found in the cupboard, a little bit of msg and some salt and pepper. While that burned, I cut 3 slices of plain tofu into squares, threw the whole lot into a beaten egg, dredged them in some flour+msg+salt and dumped them into the oil.

Threw it all on a plate, added more salt and pepper to season and fed the beaten egg to the dogs.

I've tried making batter before and it's never worked, but this was amazing. It was crispy and light and honestly really good considering I literally threw everything together in anger. Now I have potatoes for breakfast!

For long-term depression food, I end up on pre-sliced-cheese sandwiches and eggs, so many eggs... I also buy 5kg bags of sushi rice and these furikake single-portion packets off ebay. If I can't make anything else, I can convince myself to cook rice and then throw a packet of topping over it. When I run out, I've found breadcrumbs from that last piece of bread + mixed herbs toasted in a pan works as a decent rice topping too. The rice then does me for another 3 meals, fried or heated up with easy curry sauce from paste.

Little packets of instant miso soup are good, just add hot water, and you can pour it over cold rice as well, for a little more bulk. High in salt though.

Tinned tomatoes can never do you wrong. A tin of chopped tomatoes, a pinch of hing, some mixed herbs, salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic oil, and you have a basic sauce for spaghetti or the like, without having to chop anything. Make some spagetti or heat up some rice, cut the green bits off the cheese you haven't touched in a month because it's been too long and now the thought of it scares you, grate what's left over the top and you're good to go.

I guess this is more poverty than depression... But they do tend to go together. Having some store-cupboard stuff is a real help. Chilli flakes not even for spice, just for texture, hing (Asafoetida), msg, mixed herbs and salt and pepper. Dashi packets are great as an easy vegetable soup base if you can get them. I've also recently discovered garlic oil, because I can't eat onions or garlic, and it's pretty good for making stuff smell like real food too.

I've never managed to get myself to the point of freezing meals, it always just seems like too much work for me to get my head around.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Sometimes I make something I call "sadness lunch":

Shallow fry hockey puck style hashbrowns with lemon pepper. Fry equivalent number of eggs. Grate cheese over it while it's in the pan so the cheese melts. Fold the whole mess into a bowl. Top with ketchup and a whole lot of hot sauce.

It lacks vegetables but it is filling and enlivens the senses with umami and spice. If I'm having a day where I Just Cannot, it is an excellent pick-me-up.

Otherwise the rice cooker is a life saver, because even if I can't do anything else, I can put the rice cooker on then toss some shredded parm and a substantial number of frozen peas through when it's done.

A current household fave is brown rice cooked with sazón, tossed with a can of black beans, a can of rotel tomatoes with green chiles, and some shredded cheddar, then topped with a bit more shredded cheddar and baked for 40 minutes at 350F. It is... very home ec. Takes less than ten minutes to put together and you don't need to be not crying to make it.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So, Kroger sales these 1.5 cup plastic containers. Buy several packs of them. When you’re single and sad like me, you occasionally make a delicious meal for 1 and you’re like “aw gently caress. I can’t eat all this.”

Scoop it into the 1.5 cup portions. Freeze then. Yo have instant freezer meals. Rice optional. Also make some frozen naan or frozen tortillas. https://www.budgetbytes.com/naan/ or https://www.budgetbytes.com/flour-tortillas/. Freeze them. They are thin and thaw much quicker. You could even make and freeze rice. Then it’s just a couple dishes and a microwave to make your carbs and meal. It works.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I dump a bag of oreos onto the floor and eat them like an animal because I'm a piece of poo poo.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Congee dude. It's simple, tasty, nourishing and can be doctored up in a billion ways. It's a bit of a pita if you don't have a rice/pressure cooker but if you do it's the easiest thing imaginable. Add some angry lady sauce and some Chinese vinegar and you are good to go.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Mashed egg on white bread with mayo. Canned peaches with the little half/half containers from a Denny's for desert.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
At one time I was pretty depressed, I hadn't taken very good care of my physical health. But I started eating a lot of shrimp and it was really mood elevating. I was also eating pork belly for breakfast and it felt great.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shellfish have been known to give boners so I think that's where the shrimp helped ;)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

excellent bird guy posted:

At one time I was pretty depressed, I hadn't taken very good care of my physical health. But I started eating a lot of shrimp and it was really mood elevating. I was also eating pork belly for breakfast and it felt great.

I'm not crazy about shrimp but I'm willing to try any little harmless diet addition that might help my mental state. Got any preparations you liked?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm not crazy about shrimp but I'm willing to try any little harmless diet addition that might help my mental state. Got any preparations you liked?

I am not the person to give proper advice to skillful preparations, I admit I am not the greatest chef, but I fried the pork belly on a skillet. It is very fatty, something about the pork fat made me feel really happy. I wish I had some now. Don't eat a lot of it, just a little :)

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
tinned beans + rice + any combination of spices has gotten me through a lot of dark days. It's everything the body needs.

my personal go to is jamaican rice and peas.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thetan_guy42 posted:

As someone who eats a decent amount of shrimp, what is it you don't like? Flavor? Texture? Not a seafood person in general?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

dino. posted:

Re: budget bulk cooking without boring yourself

I came from a family of 6, and would help my mum make dinner. Then my husband moved in, and even though my sister and older brothers weren’t there anymore, he would eat for 2. So still large meals. Then the divorce hit back in 2016, and I kept doing what I always did. One fridge clean out to get rid of spoiled food or meals I never got to finish later, and I knew I had to have a reset. This was the first time in my life that I was truly living alone.

- re: buying. I started to take a picture of my fridge and pantry. I found it too tedious to make a current inventory list, and I was in pretty severe depression. If I could muster up the energy to go grocery shopping so that I can get something more healthy than gin, cigarettes, self loathing, and maybe some saltines or whatever, I needed to move on that urgently, for fear that I’d sink back into depression before making it out the door. The snapshots helped me have a quick visual reference for what I already have, so I could prevent double buying

- get the basics, and then pad out with cool extras. At the time, I needed a bit of comfort food, so I’d make sure I had a couple of lbs of pasta, some jars of sauce (I know how to make it from scratch, but couldn’t depend on having the motivation; those jars of sauce kept me from shame eating microwaved tater tots on more than one occasion), potatoes, broccoli, some frozen veg, tomatoes, lettuce, and lemons or limes. Then I’d grab a bit of whatever herbs looked good, various alium (garlic, chives, scallion, shallot, red onion, etc) in the smallest amounts needed. It’s just me, and having on hand a 3-lb bag of onions would result in rotten onions. If there was anything that caught my eye, I’d get a bit of it. Sometimes that was a bunch of grapes that looked enticing. Sometimes it was a pint of strawberries. One time it was yautia. Never made that mistake again.

- get home and basic cook your cooked food. For example, I’d sauté my garlic all at once in some oil, and put it in a small box in the fridge. Same for the regular onion. I’d boil all the potatoes at once. I’d chop my broccoli and blanch it. Same goes for pretty much any other cooked thing. Chop it, cook it, store it. This was every shopping trip. Usually the momentum of getting food for myself would carry me through to getting it processed when I got home. I’d boil the pasta, toss in a bit of oil, and put it in the fridge. Remember the jars of sauce? This pre cooked pasta was various meals throughout when I was too depressed to cook.

- During the week, use up your hoard. If I’d made a specific recipe out of all that food, I’d have gotten bored by day 3. Instead what I would do for each night was throw on a pot of rice in the rice cooker. Then I’d warm up a can of beans or tofu, and do a tarka on top (mustard seed, cumin seed fried in oil, add the cooked onion, add the cooked garlic, some turmeric, and dump a can of beans atop its head, garnish with cilantro or whatever). Then for the side dish, I’d take a bit of potato plus whatever veg looked good, and do a quick sauté in oil, with some dried herbs to make a quick hash situation. Some nights I’d use my frozen veg, because that’s what I was in the mood for. Other times I’d toss some broccoli in oil, some of my cooked garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes, and nuke it for 2 minutes to warm it. By the time the rice cooker beeped, dinner is ready, and the leftovers went into a Tupperware for lunch the next day.

The reason I did it this way, is because I knew exactly how much I was hungry for that night. I knew I can’t eat more than like 1/4 cup of each veg side dish at a time. It made portioning out the components /possible/, to say nothing of easy.

Basically, I’d precook my components, and only bring them together at the last minute. Using this method, I could knock up dinner in like 15 minutes. On nights when that wasn’t feasible, pasta with some sauce on it only took 5 minutes in the microwave. If i had to boil water on the nights that I defaulted to pasta, I’d have skipped it and eaten some saltines over the sink with a gin in my other hand.

It also kept things varied. I can eat the same thing multiple times, but rarely can I do it in a row. Having that variation in what was in front of me every day kept up my spirits when I badly needed that.

It also meant that after a long day of work, I don’t have to clear the decks and get out cutting board, knives, etc etc, because I’d get home so exhausted in those early days of the divorce (I was working 1 full time job and 2 part time jobs), that I wouldn’t have motivation to cook anything if the barrier to entry was that high a jump.

Also, if you gently caress it up the first few times, don’t beat yourself up like I did. Resetting your basic tendencies can be hard, and frustrating. This is a process I built for myself over the course of like a year. I made plenty of mistakes along the way, and had nights where I just ordered takeout, because everything was such a massive fail. The ever patient lady at the Chinese restaurant would just yell out my order when I’d walk in the door by the end of that year, because I’d get the same thing every time.

Use my fuckups to avoid yours.

This is from the “I’m poor and need cheap food” thread, which dino is the saint of. And I mean that in every sense of the word.

He’s vegan, but all you need to do is either buy a roast chicken and rip of and preserve its meat or roast one yourself each week which is honestly super easy. Buy a whole chicken. Rub it with olive oil. Get salt and pepper all over it. Roast it in the oven. That’s all you need. If you can’t do that, the whole oven roasted chickens at the grocery are great. Again, just refrigerate and tear off the meat for other uses.

Regardless, Dino knows his poo poo. He lives the real life and cooks the real poo poo. If you have some time and cash buy his book and learn how to make amazing veggie mains or sides.

PS you’ll need to learn how to be a vegetarian at some point and this book will help you transition.

https://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/0977080420

Edit: other cheap meats are sausages/Hams. If you must have meat in your meal look into adding some cured meats.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 20, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This free book that I recommend a lot is set up for budget concerns rather than depression concerns but it's very good about teaching you how to cook without elaborate recipes or anything, and the process is pretty similar to the "beans/rice/spices" advice Butternubs gave, so people might find it helpful in this context too.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This free book that I recommend a lot is set up for budget concerns rather than depression concerns but it's very good about teaching you how to cook without elaborate recipes or anything, and the process is pretty similar to the "beans/rice/spices" advice Butternubs gave, so people might find it helpful in this context too.

That is a good cookbook. I think it helps to add tips for meat eaters on cheap eating as well though. Buying whole roast chickens, cured and/or smoked meats, chicken thighs vs breasts, eggs, and the importance of salt, fat, and MSG to make meat taste as good as it does for takeout

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I didn’t read/see the part where it said who you quoted, and I was like,”holy crap, that person has had such a similar life to mine. I should reach out and say hello, and we can exchange stories.” Lol

Also, if anyone can’t afford the book, reach out, and I’ll get you an electronic copy. I always wanted it to be a “pay what you want” type situation, but was overruled by the publisher. I am extremely fortunate that I have a job that pays me enough that I can afford to pay my bills on auto pay (and the first month that I did, and didn’t have to check my bank balance after the bills hit was such a proud moment). I don’t at all depend on the royalties from the sales of the book.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Shooting Blanks posted:

As someone who eats a decent amount of shrimp, what is it you don't like? Flavor? Texture? Not a seafood person in general?

Just not big on the flavor, but again there have been exceptions at places where it's super fresh and prepared a certain way. they're great fried but really what isnt

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The Stone Soup Cookbook is something I recommend to anyone whose brain can freeze when they need to think about making something simple but that feels like 'real food'. I think it's a good reminder that putting together a handful of ingredients can create something entirely acceptable as a meal or snack.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I like how much rice has been mentioned. I'm going to mention it again. My rice cooker was always there for me. I fill a pasta bowl with cooked rice and top with:
  • Steam veggies
  • Canned black bean chili and sour cream.
  • A couple of eggs, cheese, and salsa
  • Frozen vegetarian "chick’n" plus Japanese steak house sauce
  • Hummus, spinach, and hard boiled eggs with hot sauce
  • Just cheese and hot sauce
I can usually manage to pair those with a basic spinach salad with oil and vinegar dressing. As for non rice foods, frozen black bean burgers for some reason. And lots of peanut butter toast.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
massaged kale with some hot frozen corn kernels, sunflower seeds, and a whipped balsamic dressing (from the salad section of the grocery store, renees is good). incredibly simple, tasty, insanely good for you. throw some feta in there if you want / can afford.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

dino. posted:

I didn’t read/see the part where it said who you quoted, and I was like,”holy crap, that person has had such a similar life to mine. I should reach out and say hello, and we can exchange stories.” Lol

Also, if anyone can’t afford the book, reach out, and I’ll get you an electronic copy. I always wanted it to be a “pay what you want” type situation, but was overruled by the publisher. I am extremely fortunate that I have a job that pays me enough that I can afford to pay my bills on auto pay (and the first month that I did, and didn’t have to check my bank balance after the bills hit was such a proud moment). I don’t at all depend on the royalties from the sales of the book.

Tragic

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

4000K lights

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I’ve bought three copies of Dino’s book yet don’t have one of my own because I keep giving it away....

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Feta

This is barely a recipe and the title kinda tells the whole story. But it's fast, good, and feels like a proper meal. Good over rice drizzled with hot sauce.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Naan bread pizzas have been my go to. Trader joe's prebaked naan/pesto or pizza sauce/shredded or sliced mozz/ slice up whatever veggies I have around/chopped sausage if I have it. Oven at 425, olive oil up both sides of the naan, build a pizza, 10 minutes - food.

Everything keeps pretty well in the fridge or freezer (get low moisture mozz) and it feels like real food

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Over the past ten years or so I've found borscht to be one of my favorite comfort foods. Roast some beets, dice some cheap lean beef and brown thoroughly so it's cooked through. Dice up your (hopefully now cooled) beets. Beets and beef go into a pot of beef stock; bring the soup up to not quite a boil and serve, topped with plenty of sauerkraut and sour cream. Easy to make, hearty and filling.

Dried fruits are good for snacking on, too. Medjool dates are a favorite of mine. They can be expensive but are worth the cost, especially if you're depressed.

Pancakes are always a good option. Batter takes five minutes to put together from scratch and the cakes themselves are done in even less time. Even better if you can add some berries to them while they cook. If you can't afford maple syrup, jam works well as a topping.

Hot cocoa: I make a very basic recipe, going with 2 T sugar and 1 T powdered cocoa per cup of whole milk. Stir your dry ingredients together, then add just enough milk to form a paste. Gradually stir in the rest of the milk, heat in the microwave, and optionally stir in a splash of liquor; my favorites are peppermint schnapps, brandy, a smoky scotch, or Benedictine. If you want thicker cocoa, substitute a small bit of cream for some of the milk.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tomato rice in the rice cooker with frozen mixed veg, some olive oil, s&p, and your diced protein of choice (I love using spam) has carried my rear end through some tough times.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Carrots, store hummus, dates

small sweet peppers with lime-salt, crackers and cheese

popcorn, prunes, and wine

two peaches, some string cheese, pretzels, beer

ramen broth (noodles are too much effort) with ritz

nut salad

I mentioned beer/wine only twice, but really you can add alcohol to any of the meals if you wanna kick it up a notch BAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Do you eat the popcorn and prunes together or is it a main course and a dessert?