Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Could you actually explain the difference between vegetarian and vegan? Because I've been using the term interchangeably for quite some time. Mostly so I'd stop being called a human being and other homophobic slurs for making vegan meals. People seem to hate the vegan and love the vegetarian. :confused:

Vegetarians don't eat meat. They still eat eggs and dairy products (milk, cheese, etc.). They also eat honey.

Vegans don't eat meat. Vegans also don't eat ANY foods derived from animals. No eggs, dairy, honey, or leather jackets.

The reason people seem to hate vegans is because an extremely vocal minority of them have extremely off-putting holier-than-thou attitudes about their lifestyle choices. Most vegans are cool people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am not vegan, but my girlfriend is vegetarian with a desire to one day go all vegan. While you all will pry my butter from my cold, dead, buttery hands, I would like to learn some actually tasty and not soy-steak-reliant vegan dishes to make at home for her, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

This isn't an all-in-one dish, more of a component of one, but it's loving delicious and is my "vegan stand-by".

Press the water out of a block of extra-firm tofu. Once you've squeezed out as much as possible, cut into ~1.5 to ~2cm cubes. Toss these in a drizzle of a neutral oil like canola, or something like olive oil if you want the flavor of that. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper, and put on a baking sheet into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stir halfway so it browns evenly. It's chewy, meaty, salty and peppery, utterly delicious hot or cold. I think I'm going to make some tonight!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Toss it with a bit of cornstarch for a crispy coating. I love how they puff up into fat little rounds things. They're sooo good.

I made these last night, me and the woman were going to put it over a salad but while we were assembling the salad we ate all the tofu just popping them into our mouths.

Seriously everyone just needs to make it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maple donuts (suspended on toothpicks because the glaze has just been applied):

Holy crap, are you a giant??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

Made some Hummus! Pretty good, it actually tastes a bit like chickpeas (how I like it). I burned my garlic though since I read a recipe that said to roast cloves at 375 for an hour and I said "sure why not". Got singed after like 10m so I pulled them. Also I used peanut butter because I never use enough tahini to justify buying it. I used my immersion blender. I did an initial blending of just the chickpeas and some lemon juice. After I added in the nut butter, oil, and a bit of chickpea water it blended really easily in my immersion blender cup.

I also attempted to use the chickpea cooking water for aquafaba stuff, but it failed. Anyone try making the meringues with homemade chickpea liquid? I avoided adding any oils, so it was just chickpea and water. I did a quick soak since I forgot to soak them last night.

Does the aquafaba + sugar/tartar mixture need an excessive amount of beating? I got nowhere with a whisk and then I tried my cleaned immersion blender (also nowhere).

Should I add some of the chickpea 'sediment' at the bottom of what I saved? I didn't keep the large bits with the chickpea water but there's a decent amount of other stuff that settles at the bottom. I've still got a lot of it left so I can try again if the sediment would help the whipping process.

Your hummus looks delicious.

I've tried to whip my own chickpea broth multiple times to no avail. Not sure what I'm missing, but it's something. I find it's just easier to use the broth as the base for a tasty soup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Could you post this recipe? That looks unbelievable.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is "Search me!" analagous to "Ya got me!" in terms of an incredulous expression? Never heard that before.

What was on the pizza aside from the onions and potatoes? Any garlic? Olive oil base? Looks awesome.

Also dino, calm your tits, it's smitten kitchen...her prose is overwrought and she said she wanted to experience some illusory "earthiness" from the olive oil in her cake. Don't let it get you unruffled :) Just use a neutral oil.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if that cake would work at all if you substituted apple sauce for the oil, like I see some recipes call for if you're trying to make it "healthier". That way there's no oil in it whatsoever, so no oil flavor or aftertaste.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You seriously have the best vegan photodumps.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I cook a lot of chickpeas and end up with a lot of tasty bean broth. I used it to make a simple vegan soup this week. I cooked down two leeks, sliced thin, and some garlic in some olive oil in a pot. To that I added the broth (~3.5 quarts), about two pounds of peeled and cut Yukon Gold potatoes, a head of cauliflower I chopped up, and some thyme. Simmer for 20 minutes, and stick blend with authority until completely smooth. This soup gets a lot of depth from the bean broth and the thyme works really well with the other ingredients, and the potatoes and cauliflower lend it a creamy quality after being pureed into nothingness. Obviously salt to taste but I actually didn't have to salt mine a lick because the broth I used was already seasoned from cooking the chickpeas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

emotive posted:

I don't understand why something like a cashew based "cheese" is forbidden in this thread. It's a cultured nut product that belongs in vegan culture as much as tofu or anything else.

Can we not talk about almond milk in this thread either, because it's called "milk"?

I think it's because the vegan "cheeses" out there aim to emulate actual dairy cheese. If a cashew "cheese" is sold as tasting like the essence of cashews with a deep, nutty, rich flavor, I think it'd be fine. However, if it's a vegan "cheese" that purports to melt, it would not be, nor do I think the one posted earlier in this thread as it seems to be attempting to pass itself as a dairy cheese (what with the extra savory ingredients like miso).

Tofurky? No good.

I think almond and other nut milks get a pass for the most part because they've been more or less accepted into the culinary zeitgeist, and while their uses are similar in many ways to dairy milk, for the most part they don't sell themselves "as rich and creamy as dairy milk". They just happen to be used in similar ways, like the almond milk my wife uses to make her (delicious) rice pudding instead of dairy milk.

That's my understanding of the situation for this thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Curry powder is also awesome on roasted chickpeas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Always a great spread, Tycho. Congrats on your impending move to India!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zenithe posted:

My local grocer had chestnuts for real cheap so I bought them. I'll probably roast them, but does anyone have any good recipes that use them?

Maybe something like this?

I had a chestnut pate at a restaurant recently and it blew my socks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I’ve been making the following “recipe” for my lunches for the week. It’s sort of a stew, and it makes a poo poo-ton of food but I’ve really been enjoying it so I thought I’d share.

2 lbs frozen broccoli
1 lb dry great northern beans
1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
2 lbs frozen corn
2 large white onions, chopped
Sun-dried tomatoes, about 1.5 cups diced
Garlic
1 lb mushrooms, sliced

Pressure cook the beans until done and set aside.

Purée the canned tomatoes until smooth.

Roast the broccoli until slightly charred and set aside.

In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until slightly softened. Add garlic, cook for a minute, and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have given up their water and it’s mostly evaporated. Add beans, puréed tomatoes, corn, and sun-dried tomatoes and heat through. At this point the pot I use is pretty full so I transfer to a huge mixing bowl and combine with the broccoli.

Obviously season to taste and use whatever herbs you’d enjoy in this. I’ve toyed with seasoning using soy sauce and it’s pretty good. I also usually add about five or six diced habaneros with seeds because I love it spicy. I add the peppers when I add the garlic, but be careful you don’t gas yourself with the fumes they release.

Anyway, it’s vegan, extremely hearty, filling, not at all appetizing-looking, and delicious! If you try something like this and it sucks, it’s not my fault.