Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well gently caress me, just lost 4800 coins when I went to "Open All Boosters". How do you even get support for this, gently caress Stainless, etc

edit: false alarm, exiting the game and restarting fixed it because Reasons

precision fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Let's talk about Cradle of the Accursed:

Why does it exist?

edit: ooh Cruel Reality looks like a nice bomb that also hoses superfriends

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Let's talk about Cradle of the Accursed:

Why does it exist?
It's a land that makes a man that goes in monocolored decks.

Also you can fetch it with monitor, I guess?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I never thought Mummy Control would be a deck type but Esper Zombies looks like a decent midrange idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was just about to say that Esper Zombies is looking cool, I'm gonna try it.

I just upgraded my Hidden Stockpile deck with the Black and White Gods and Plague Belcher and uh... it's really fuckin' good, jesus

Also a lot of synergy with Renown and Dusk/Dawn, might be worth thinking about it for G/W

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Throne of the God-Pharoah is both very powerful in token decks and amazingly flavorful.

It literally wins you the game if you have enough peons bow to you.

And yeah Dusk to Dawn looking like a sweeper that white weenie might actually play but there's still some natural tension between being an aggro deck and running a sweeper.

Goddamn Oketra's Monument is a no-brainer in WG Humans.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 27, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PW-removal feels good. Bunch of cards do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm really digging this set already, drat. I got New Nissa but will have to think about the best deck for her, same with New Liliana

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm sorry to the opponent that was trying to play with some new cards. I had to do my daily quest and I didn't spend money on the new cards. I'm sorry I curved out with RDW and all you got to do was cycle like 4 cards before you died.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As expected, the mere act of dropping New Gideon has caused a Concede every time (only 3 times so far)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is New Gideon a Human when he's a creature?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Either I was having too much fun to notice the time passing, or they changed the coin cap, intentionally or not.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is New Gideon a Human when he's a creature?
Yes, he does.

"Gideon of the Trials becomes a 4/4 Human Soldier creature"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

As expected, the mere act of dropping New Gideon has caused a Concede every time (only 3 times so far)

He doesn't do much on a busy board, and doesn't snowball out of control like BFZ Gideon if you need to catch up. Not that afraid of him.

I am loving the new Liliana, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh, Oketra's Monument doesn't create tokens with any tribal type. Garbage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha New Gideon is amazing. It lets you attack into boards you normally couldn't or add to the beat down. Who cares about his ultimate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also dies to Grasp of Darkness.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just watched an infinite Scion combo (Eldrazi Displacer + Drowner of Hope + Anointed Procession) hard lock the game on stream when 40 Scions got sacked to make a 20/20 Walking Ballista.

Amonkhet is great.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Also dies to Grasp of Darkness.

Good to know!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blazing volley at common is going to be an issue for token decks that don't find their Anthem effects.

Hazoret Madness is a lot of fun.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 27, 2017

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uuuuugh gently caress that last Amonkhet story mission. I don't know why they seem to think "you with a lovely deck vs a deck full of hard counters to you" is any fun at all. It''s almost entirely luck at that point.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Am I the only idiot who spent ages on the first Kefnet story trial trying to kill the Sphinx on the board (which is impossible), without realising you won if you killed the AI?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

vegetables posted:

Am I the only idiot who spent ages on the first Kefnet story trial trying to kill the Sphinx on the board (which is impossible), without realising you won if you killed the AI?

I did this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Uuuuugh gently caress that last Amonkhet story mission. I don't know why they seem to think "you with a lovely deck vs a deck full of hard counters to you" is any fun at all. It''s almost entirely luck at that point.

I beat all the Trials on my first try, though I did aggressively restart until I had a good hand/mulligan.

I thought the puzzle trial was fun, and wish they'd put puzzles back in the game.

Rinkles posted:

He doesn't do much on a busy board, and doesn't snowball out of control like BFZ Gideon if you need to catch up. Not that afraid of him.

Oh, to be sure, it's not that he's so good, but it's expected that casual Duels players would quit once they see something that says "Your opponent cannot win the game".

I made a W/G Cat deck (Duels has more cats than I thought - enough to make all your creatures Cats, and decent ones). It's really fun though.

I haven't even dipped into U/B/R at all yet, Amonkhet is great. Definitely hope the followup keeps the good cards coming.

The Aftermath cards we got are nice - Mouth to Feed can be absolutely bonkers, eg, I'm even digging the versatility of Prepare to Fight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I need to make a UG ramp deck with the new cards but my decks are full and I have to find something to cut.

And then I have to make a WB tokens deck.

Bant Enchanter still looking weak, the cartouches seem more focused on synergies within their monocolor area.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lol everybody has unlocked everything already.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I only had 4000 gold banked up. :qq:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Either I was having too much fun to notice the time passing, or they changed the coin cap, intentionally or not.

Yup something screwy is going on.

https://twitter.com/Magic_Duels/status/858008662413119488

I think you continue to gain coins, you just get shown the coin cap message too early.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah right now there doesn't seem to be a coin cap, or they're just displaying the message for the old cap and not the new one.

I've run into two "ramp into Sandwurm Convergence" decks. Both times just barely manage to finish them off because both times I was using my mostly-fliers Prowess deck. I won with Thermo-Alchemist both times :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New Nissa seems underwhelming but in the right UG deck she just runs away with the game. Which is what UG always likes to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I really like the versatility of the new Nissa.

Be careful with Censor, you have to wait until the spell is on the stack to cast it, and in Duels the spell looks like it's on the stack before it is. Just had a guy Cycle it when I'm positive he meant to cast it. :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah I really like the versatility of the new Nissa.

Be careful with Censor, you have to wait until the spell is on the stack to cast it, and in Duels the spell looks like it's on the stack before it is. Just had a guy Cycle it when I'm positive he meant to cast it. :v:

May have just been a misclick, since even when the spell is on the you can cycle. Did it once myself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, maybe. When it happened to me though, it gave me the option to Cycle the card (outlined in blue) but no option to cast it until I had waited for the cast trigger to cycle, then clicking on it gave me both "Cast" and "Cycle" options.

It's kinda clumsy the way they implemented it, especially if you don't even know that you can respond to a spell being cast before it's on the stack.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Servers have been real crap since the update. I'm having endless connection failures.

precision posted:

Yeah, maybe. When it happened to me though, it gave me the option to Cycle the card (outlined in blue) but no option to cast it until I had waited for the cast trigger to cycle, then clicking on it gave me both "Cast" and "Cycle" options.

It's kinda clumsy the way they implemented it, especially if you don't even know that you can respond to a spell being cast before it's on the stack.

After playing more with instant speed cyclers, it's actually a problem with how stainless implemented cycling. When you press on a card with cycling when the game is unpaused (or outside your "sorcery speed" mainphase), it'll default to cycling when you click the card, even for Instants -- though, you can cancel out before paying the cycling cost.

Which means if you want to counter a spell with Censor, you have to first stop the timer. Also relevant for Hieroglyphic Illumination.

I didn't realize this at first because I almost always pause the game in those situations just in case.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

After playing more with instant speed cyclers, it's actually a problem with how stainless implemented cycling. When you press on a card with cycling when the game is unpaused (or outside your "sorcery speed" mainphase), it'll default to cycling when you click the card, even for Instants -- though, you can cancel out before paying the cycling cost.

Which means if you want to counter a spell with Censor, you have to first stop the timer. Also relevant for Hieroglyphic Illumination.

I didn't realize this at first because I almost always pause the game in those situations just in case.

When it happened to me, Censor was still outlined in blue even when the game was paused. I unpaused and re-paused and zoomed in on the card and it never had the "cast" option, always just "Cycle". It was only when I unpaused the game, let the response circle wind down, then paused it again that I could actually cast Censor.

So yeah, uh... Stainless.

I made an Esper Zombpile, it's Midrange As gently caress so it can stall out early against aggro (but what can't) but it's really fun to just Recur Everything by abusing Hidden Stockpile/Resourceful Return/Cemetery Recruitment/Embalm

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried to make that deck but couldn't make the deck work with only 36 cards. Seemed like too much competition between revolt and zombie tribal.

Censor is really annoying because control decks can represent it all the time and it encourages you to play behind your curve. But I'm not convinced yet because soft counters are pretty bad in control-control or control-ramp matchups which is where Grixis control really gets a run for its money, so I haven't put it in any of my decks.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Servers are very bad indeed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

Servers are very bad indeed.

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress they did but it's real bad. At least I only have 6 packs of Amonkhet left (and nothing exciting left to open, I got all the Mythics and good Rares in my first like 20 packs heh)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Seems like they reduced the infrastructure during the lull of AEther revolt and then just didn't put the money back into servers because WoTC is ridiculously mismanaged. It doesn't seem like any changes were meant to the server side stuff, it just feels like load.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Working okay this evening.

Holy poo poo, BW Tokens is loving INSANE right now. Dusk to Dawn kinda hoses anything that isn't tokens.

Also saw a WG Enchanter deck living the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm winning games with an Abzan Enchantment deck that doesn't even have all its rares. Set owns!

• Locked thread