Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

I think you've almost taken everyone except Tyler Johnson

I thought about taking Tyler Johnson in the third round.

tofes fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

tofes posted:

I agree although I wish we had enough people for 30 teams

Is the point of this draft to get the best teams possible according to a certain strategy (win now, build for the future, etc) or the best fantasy hockey team? If it is the former, then it's ok to post these threads in the main SAS sub-forum as has been done in the past with basketball and baseball and you might get more exposure. The salary cap thing is what intimidates me about this draft.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It usually turns into who built the best fantasy team, just because no one keeps track of their team past the following season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's still early-ish out west, but if everyone's okay with it I'll go ahead and pick at noon EST if we haven't heard from El Gallinero Gros just to keep this rolling.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tadashi posted:

Is the point of this draft to get the best teams possible according to a certain strategy (win now, build for the future, etc) or the best fantasy hockey team? If it is the former, then it's ok to post these threads in the main SAS sub-forum as has been done in the past with basketball and baseball and you might get more exposure. The salary cap thing is what intimidates me about this draft.

It's quite difficult to go over the cap unless you only pick overpaid vets and completely ignore good cheap youngsters on their first or second contracts.

ThinkTank posted:

It's still early-ish out west, but if everyone's okay with it I'll go ahead and pick at noon EST if we haven't heard from El Gallinero Gros just to keep this rolling.

Please do so I can at least make make my first pick before I go to bed.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

tadashi posted:

I did this last year and it's pretty hard to go over the cap. The big ticket players usually get spread out among all the teams and the spreadsheet we use tracks how much cap space your team has left and how close you are to the average cap hit of everyone's team.

ThinkTank posted:

Sounds fine

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Last time we did this I picked a lot of really expensive players at the beginning and I still didn't come close to the cap. I had the fourth highest cap hit amongst all 30 teams, had 26 players under contract, and still had about $2 million in cap room. The only cap problem some people had was hitting the floor, and if it comes to that there are a lot of bad contracts and contracts for "retired" players - Pronger and Savard come to mind easily, though there are a few others - you can take on near the end of the draft to get to the floor.

During the draft it seems like we debate both presently and in the future who has the best team, though the last few times it turned into who had the best fantasy team during the season because nobody had the time and the software to do any simulations.

tadashi, you really should join if you're interested, it is a lot of fun once the debate into how players figure onto teams and who's got a good team gets going.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to select:

Aaron Ekblad - D - 6'4" 215lbs - Shoots Right

He isn't a flashy forward and he plays in Florida so he probably doesn't get the respect he deserves but Aaron Ekblad's first season was one for the ages. Making the jump straight from junior, he became just the 5th 18 year old defenceman in the modern era to put up more than 30pts in a season (and the only player outside the roarin' 80s to do so). His 18 year old season is second only to Phil Housley's in terms of points* and was enough to win him the Calder trophy despite a number of strong contenders (all who were several years older than him). A great skater with a booming shot, a mind for the game and great size he's the type of player that passes the eye and analytics tests with flying colours. I figure he's set to be a franchise defenceman for 15+ years. It goes against my better judgement not to take a forward in the first round here, but I feel like he's too good to pass up.

Plus he's easily the most handsome guy in the entire league, so if I'm not winning cups I'll surely be winning hearts.

*Esteemed Canucks' GM Jim Benning was 3rd. Not sure what that means but I thought it was worth mentioning.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 27, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress I was going to take him with my second pick if I could.

drat it why am I picking next to Boomer again?

Also it's kind of dumb that Getzlaf dropped so far, like he has some hair left and isn't cripplingly old.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

How is Ekblad able to grow such a nice beard, and I, seven years older, am not?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Real curious to see how good Ekblad is when he's not paired with Brian Campbell

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

gently caress I was going to take him with my second pick if I could.

drat it why am I picking next to Boomer again?

Also it's kind of dumb that Getzlaf dropped so far, like he has some hair left and isn't cripplingly old.

It was him or Price for me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I almost took Ekblad over Hedman.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I almost took Ekblad over Hedman.

That would've been a poor decision. Hedman is as good now as Ekblad is likely ever to be.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who should I be sending lists to, I'm giving up on this awake poo poo. tofes?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

Who should I be sending lists to, I'm giving up on this awake poo poo. tofes?

PM me, I'll post picks pretty quickly if they come up today.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

gently caress I was really hoping being banished to the land of sunshine would let Ekblad fall to me in the second round. Even if he suffers the sophomore slump I still think he is going to be one of the best, and probably most underrated, players in the league in the near future.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

That would've been a poor decision. Hedman is as good now as Ekblad is likely ever to be.

That's why I picked Hedman. Ekblad is phenomenal and might win a Norris or two and the fact that he's 19 and on an ELC made him an attractive pick. But Hedman is one of maybe five defensemen in the NHL capable of dominating an entire game. Watching him this year and then seeing that he got zero Norris votes was confusing. The way he can be all over the ice so quickly and effortlessly reminds me of Niedermayer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Okay I'm not waiting any longer than necessary so I'm just going to go ahead and select Patrice Bergeron because he only just turned 30 and still dominates both ends of the rink like no other center left on the board. Look at those Corsis! He puts up 54% when away from ~that nose he usually plays with~ even with 63% d-zone starts, which is insane. The boxcars are fine too although if he'd like to score 60+ points that would be great. Also I overdid it with the young guns last time so why not pick someone who's on the, uh, wrong side of 30 like I will be soon enough.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Tremendous Taste is up with two picks in a row now.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm on mobile, so sorry for formatting, but the Sabres will go with

Duncan Keith

And

Shea Weber

In that order.

Who needs high end centers in the modern NHL anyway

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Exxon is up again followed by Boomer the Cannon

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I could put these into EHM even though it means nothing at all for shits and giggles.

Actually I'm gonna put last years into EHM tonight and sim a season, it won't take long at all you can use the 07 Editor still.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Exxon PM'ed me his list, the top guy left is noted Wolverine-like mutant and Montreal Canadien, Max Pacioretty. I guess he's pretty good at scoring goals or something?

e: Boomer's up again, should we give him two hours or just move on?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I could put these into EHM even though it means nothing at all for shits and giggles.

Actually I'm gonna put last years into EHM tonight and sim a season, it won't take long at all you can use the 07 Editor still.

Jordan7hm toxxed himself into putting this year's version into EHM if you want to spare yourself the effort and/or want to see him get banned for some reason.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

+1 here to hoping people forgot that Aaron Ekblad existed

I'm gonna be around the rest of the day so if anyone is due up somewhat soon but won't be around feel free to send a player list to menamino@yahoo.com (but post here or PM me that you sent it so I know to check it please)

Let's make it back to my pick in this round today fellas, I know we can do it!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Jordan7hm toxxed himself into putting this year's version into EHM if you want to spare yourself the effort and/or want to see him get banned for some reason.

yep. though you're welcome to it :)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Menamino posted:

+1 here to hoping people forgot that Aaron Ekblad existed

I'm gonna be around the rest of the day so if anyone is due up somewhat soon but won't be around feel free to send a player list to menamino@yahoo.com (but post here or PM me that you sent it so I know to check it please)

Let's make it back to my pick in this round today fellas, I know we can do it!

I'm ready to go although technically Boomer the Sleepy Cannon is on the clock, should I just skip him?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I'm ready to go although technically Boomer the Sleepy Cannon is on the clock, should I just skip him?

maybe give him like 30 minutes? since he already missed a pick I dont think he should get a full 2 hours but ~45 or so seems fair to me

or just pick, I wouldnt object to it

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

Skip him I say.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cool I'll take

Ryan Johansen - C - 6'3" 225lbs - Shoots Right

Ryan Johansen, formerly of the Columbus Blue Jackets now of the Columbus Blue Jackets, is a big centre in the Ryan Getzlaf mold. Equally adept at scoring and playmaking, he took a while to reach his potential but finally proved why the Jackets took him 4th overall in 2010 last year. Offensively he was good, but possession wise his stats were fairly crap. I'll blame that on the horrible injury plagued season the Blue Jackets had this year and give him a mulligan on it. The fact that he managed to play 82 games on that team with the style he plays is nothing short of a miracle. He'll anchor my first line and hopefully be a top line centre for another 6 or 7 seasons.

He was also the 2015 All Star Game MVP which is something you can win if you need a car a couple notches below your pay grade or something. Plus his name is sorta similar to Scarlett Johansson's, and that will give my team a big boost.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

yep. though you're welcome to it :)

oh cool, well maybe I'll do last year's Jordan if you're not

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I'll give El Gallinero Gros an hour before I skip him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I was salivating at the thought of having the two best skating defensemen in the league, but I knew Keith wouldn't fall to me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was salivating at the thought of having the two best skating defensemen in the league, but I knew Keith wouldn't fall to me.

Its especially funny since SAS seems to generally hate him and Weber because ~*Fancy Stats*~ and he took both back to back.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

The Arizona(?) Coyotes select Dougie Hamilton. At only 22 Hamilton is already one of the best defensemen in the game and we believe he'll only continue to improve. Locked up for under 6 million dollars for the next few years we think he could be compared to PK Subban, albeit more respectful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZglqkCRNt8

Good Soldier Svejk is up

tofes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 27, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Great pick. I'm still surprised another defenseman is still on the board and even though I was planning on taking a forward next, if he's still there I have to take him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At work - but I'll take hockey rainman Taylor Hall.
Effort post when I get home...
If I get home. (gently caress the Orange line!)

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Great pick. I'm still surprised another defenseman is still on the board and even though I was planning on taking a forward next, if he's still there I have to take him.

There were two other young D I was considering who will probably be comparable but I'm a big Dougie Hamilton fan so there's some bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I know exactly who youre talking about and Im really beginning to think you and I came up with the same list of players to pick. :argh:

• Locked thread