Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
:siren::siren:Now looking for in house game testers!:siren::siren:

If you want to be a game tester please send me a PM. Your responsibilities will include checking the alpha spreadsheet for recent changes and downloading the most recent build of the game. You will also need to test for bugs on recent changes, and in general, and fill out the bug reports efficiently. I'm looking for people who could probably at least test for bugs once a day. I will only be selecting a small group of testers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am developing a new Something Awful RPG game called Something Awful: The Lost King. The game's main plot line is about how King Lowtax of the land of Something Awful has gone missing, and it is up to you to find him! Each sub forum will be a zone in the game, and each zone will be populated by the wonderful posters of these great forums. To do this I need your help. I am looking for more posters to populate this gay world of mine, and also looking for consultants who are regular posters in sub forums that can help me along with "in" jokes so that everyone on the forums can feel special while playing. Gameplay is still being worked on and is open to being changed. I welcome your suggestions and ideas.

If you would like to be apart of the game post in this thread. Tell me what your preferred quest line would be and what zone you would like to reside in. Tell me any other details you'd like me to know about your character.

If you would like to consult and help with zone creation ideas, post here and let me know what sub forum you are a regular poster in.

If you just have a good idea, post it.

Here is a very short preview of what Tutorial Island looks like. I am not trying to show too much of anything because I'd like to keep most of this under wraps until it is released. Estimated release time is around 2 months from now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXjYvuPh2XU

:siren:Game Play Footage:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmdu7fXcbx0

:siren:First animated cut scene quest:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkAihgpyBdI

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

do you have a kickstarter

No. This game will be free.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

Need literal white-noise foes that look something like missingno, but could pull random names from a big list of volunteer white noise posters

This is a very good idea. Thank you!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

Can you get party members? We'd need Caro as the undead battle cleric, Kyoon as the mentally ill mentalist

Yes you can add additional members to your party. But they will be rare. I'd like to keep it a solo experience. You'll probably only gain party members for specific quests.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

All good ideas so far guys. Heres a few answers to some questions.

1. Yes this is a real game and I do intend on spending some time on it and making it worth playing and relatively in depth.
2. Yes Mangosteen will be a consumable item.
3. The mods/admins will be zone bosses in their own special castles.

And some more stuff no one asked about

1. THS doesn't have much of a choice because it's already been decided he runs a gay brothel.
2. I am actually taking all of your poo poo posting input seriously and will do my best to include all of you in the game. Top tier popular posters or people with known forums drama (eg. Microwave) will take priority. I can only do so much.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

opus111 posted:

Make sure you get somebody to check your typing in the dialogue boxes.

Isn't it kind of more funny when things are spelled wrong? Kinda gives the full SA experience.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Need a good default player portrait for the character you are playing when they get in conversations. I'm thinking a neckbeard but I'm sure you guys have something better.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Need some volunteers for shop keepers or vendors in the Port of GBS

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

put me somewhere in the game, maybe shopkeeper or ask/tell. do you have a library

I can definitely make a library but I don't see how books will be very helpful in the game. Would you like to maybe be in the Spell Scrolls shop?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I went with this as the default player avatar.

Also the first quest has been added to the game. As well as the legendary item [Ring of Goatse]. I should have a quick preview of the Port of GBS up either late late tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Putty posted:

please add gender symbols as characters you can use in names

This might be possible but honestly there are like 120 different genders now and the only one that matters is Goku

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

opus111 posted:

u should have a quest where you have to find NPC Two World's missing piece of bowel.

This is a fantastic quest idea

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

The first quest is in the game. Just something really really simple to show off the quest log, how to look at what quest items you have, and what completing a quest looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5beq2HMzGk

Not shown: the XP Gained window I put in after making the video cause im dumb.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 10, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder who could be the proprietor of this fine establishment...

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Can you guys maybe start providing links to things when making suggestions? It'll help for some of these references im not too savvy with.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

A worthy quest indeed.

Also concerning [poo poo Post] in the screen shot WFP posted. There are 3 items you can turn in for different amount gold rewards. poo poo Post, Gassed Thread, and Golden Manbaby. You can go to a vendor and turn them in for gold. They will drop off random monsters, and are rewards for doing particular quests.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi_LpsaS5ag

Just another quick video of a different quest. Yes, these videos are of very simply quests. Just keep in mind this is the very first place you encounter and is a boring market place that isn't supposed to have in depth quests. Things will get much more complex after you leave the Port of GBS and head into the actual land of GBS. Just thought you guys might want to see.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There should be a random encounter with Poverty Ghost, and if you don't respond with "Stay Safe Poverty Ghost" in a given time period then all your gold should disappear.

Poverty Ghost is slated to be a common enemy however I don't think I can make it take all your money. I can however put in a special ability called "Stay Safe Poverty Ghost" that instantly kills it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Ok I'm gonna need some more suggestions for common monsters that you'd find walking around or in dungeons. Try and keep the ideas broad. For example, Poverty Ghost, Garbage Dick, poo poo Poster, Forums Superstar, etc.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

There should be an empty quote ability in the game that mimics a previously used attack/ability

This is a great idea

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Doctor J Off posted:

all item shops are SA mart, and with each purchase there is a 10% chance you pay and never receive the item

Hahaha. I don't think I can make it not give you items but I can definitely name all the general shops SA Mart

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

opus111 posted:

make sure there's a quest to locate the 5 golden manbabies.

You actually collect golden manbabies from high level quests and can turn them in for high levels of gold at your local Golden Manbaby dealer. Thats already been implimented. There are also poo poo Posts you can turn in for gold. user whoflungpoop is the resident poo poo Post vendor in the land of GBS

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Also now excepting submissions for common enemies as mentioned before by people brain storming. I'm trying to make it ever so slightly more collaborative with you goons (and god will it save me some time if I don't have to make up 50 enemies myself). Here is the opening example enemy Garbage Dick.

Try and keep it around that resolution height, width can be kinda whatever. They must be PNG images and have a transparent background, unless the whole picture is intensely funny and needs the background part. If you want it to be floating a bit and not so "cloes" to the player as seen in the tutorial video in the OP just put the enemy higher in the picture to create a floating/far away effect. Looking forward to your solutions. If you want to name the moves they can do I can also implement that.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Here is what the land of GBS should look like. Circled is the Port of GBS I am currently working on. There will be a few towns you can zone into inside this big land as well.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Found in that sandy area in the middle of GBS

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 13, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I need some volunteers to be gay sex slaves in THS's Brothel. I am working on that tonight and need members in there. Before volunteering you should know there wont be a ton of interaction between you. You'll simply be saying one line/phrase to the player. some variation of "Hi I'm [you]. Would you be interested in widening my rear end in a top hat tonight?" or if you have something specific to say let me know.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 13, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

opus111 posted:

what role will I play in this game? Some ideas:

Sick pimp who is always surrounded by hot birds.
Questgiver
Dungeon mid-boss.

You reside as a sex slave in THS's brothel

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

opus111 posted:

Geeeeeeeeeez.

Don't take it personally. i just know you as a poster and thought youd go in the game relatively early. And you're in a gay brothel. What else would you say? If you'd like to write your own dialogue just post it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Top City Homo posted:

why is the world not shaped like a dick you human being oval office?

there should be balls (other continents) veiny (mountain range) balls with a thick gushing head leading into the snowy north pole (heh)

Because your ideas are poo poo

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfe9gmQFPYA

Didn't bother showing the quest log but that is a quest

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 13, 2015

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

You're in a bad mood lately, is something wrong?

Also thanks for the castle OP! Can I have a BBQ joint and a mechanical bull in there?

Yeah I can definitely add a BBQ joint in your castle.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Jeez guys. I make some videos and release some screenshots of zones and all you fuckers do is ignore them :(

18 views on the THS quest? nearly 6,000 views on the thread? Get your poo poo together goons. I'm putting gently caress loads of effort into this. You could at least tell me what you think of the released content.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Sorry. I didn't mean that to sound snippy.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Yo winders, couple of not completed drawings from my mobs, idk if you decided to adopt them.

Shark in a tank (for games)

Doritos and Dew

If you greenlight them I'll proceed to polish and color and send the completed drawings maybe next year or next century.

Also, do you have any monster you want drawn?

I definitely will use these. If you won't polish them up I will. Either way they are going in. Though to cut down on how much work I have ahead of me it would be appreciated if you could finish them up.

And sorry for sounding like a dick earlier in the thread. I've been really sick lately and snappy. My bad.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

limaCAT posted:

I'll try to do them this week, but keep in mind I can work with my tablet only on evenings and early mornings.
Do you have a release date?

Nothing set in stone. I predict somewhere around 2 months. So you have plenty of time.

I also encourage anyone else with art to submit it as well if you'd like to see it in the game :)

E: if it is actual drawings and not sprite work then it will be used as enemy art. So try and develop something that would be the image for an enemy while fighting them in battle mode.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU APPLEWHITE. Space Tits and Space rear end are already gonna be in the game but I could always use more fun stuff :)

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

gnarlyhotep posted:

That and/or a quest where you have to find my dog who always escapes the castle.

I can definitely add a dog to your party

• Locked thread