Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

I've been posting in a Project.Log thread and occasionally in the Making Games Megathread, but it's time to show Scraps here because

:siren: Scraps is now available on Steam Early Access :siren:

Yes it's still Early Access, but I've been working on this game for coming up near three years now - it's pretty solid as-is, I just have more still to add.

Early Access Release Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxBaDRDk4Y

Scraps is a vehicle combat game where you build your vehicle from parts from the chassis up. Most parts are functional in some way (power, cooling, engines etc), and often inter-dependent (like weapons will require power and/or heat management), but I've also tried to keep things fairly simple. You don't have to wire up components or do anything too fiddly. It's more like building vehicles out of Lego, except you can actually drive them at the end and the pieces actually work.

There's also a heavy physics basis with weight distribution being a big factor and weapon recoil being a notable point to manage.

Gameplay is your typical melee deathmatch sort of thing, where you get x amount (chosen by the host) to spend on your vehicle. During a match you can also collect wreckage and use it to repair/upgrade your vehicle in-game by using an Evac Pad - so it's possible to build a vehicle worth more than your starting allowance, although purchase and repair costs slowly increase as your total worth increases to prevent a snowball effect. If you die, you can respawn with any vehicle worth up to the initial scrap allowance.

There's single-player against AI, Internet play (and it's easy for anyone to create a server that'll show up in the global list), and LAN. The Scraps demo is also a LAN joiner, so people can join your LAN game even if they don't own the full game.

Scraps History

Way back in the 90s I played a bunch of Interstate '76, and I loved how you could customise the weapon loadout and various components of your car and it all really made a difference. Later I played a demo of Lego Racers, and you could totally build your car from the ground up, but I was disappointed that it didn't have much of an effect on the car's performance. It was a step up in customisation but a step down from Interstate '76 and the other sweet demo I had of Stratosphere: Conquest Of The Skies in terms of meaningful build choices.

What I really wanted was a game where you designed your whole vehicle and the parts really mattered - and no-one was making it. Roboforge showed that building your own fighting machines was doable back in 2001, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. Finally in 2012 I had a good opportunity to just start making it myself.

Things have taken a while (I'm making this mostly on my own), and in the meantime vehicle building games have started to pop up everywhere. When I started there was Kerbal Space Program, there was Rawbots (RIP), there was Gimbal, but nothing recent with road vehicles except maybe Gear Up. Now there's Robocraft, TerraTech, Besieged... but Scraps has kept chugging along and now it's really looking pretty solid and a lot like what I always wanted it to be.

"Looks like Robocraft"

This comment is getting more and more common to the point where I know a comparison is going to be asked for sooner rather than later. You may like to try Scraps vs. Robocraft if you'd like to:

* Pay once and get everything rather than the free-to-play model.
* Host your own Internet or LAN games.
* Play against AI.
* Focus more on functional parts and less on building and rebuilding with basic blocks.
* Employ deeper strategy in part choices, with interdependent parts (a weapon might also require power or cooling, for instance).
* Repair and upgrade your vehicle in-game, using scavenged wreckage.
* Put multiple weapon types on your vehicle at once (and they'll all automatically adjust their movement ranges to avoid shooting your own vehicle).
* Have a more detailed physics system. Want to build a vehicle that moves by firing its guns backwards?
* Play a more traditional deathmatch-style game, in the spirit of games like Interstate '76 or Twisted Metal.
* Ram vehicles and do collision damage (without needing a special melee weapon).
* Respawn with a different vehicle design at any time during a match.

Robocraft is cool though, and I'm sure they have their own things they do better. Scraps is definitely not as polished as Robocraft since they have 10x the team I do: I have someone who does the AI and helped with the Internet connectivity, but the rest I'm doing on my own. If you like one game though you'll probably like the other.

Links and stuff

Official site.
TIGSource Devlog that's been going since Dec 2012, if you want to see more history.
Steam store page
Direct Steam app link (opens in Steam)
Twitter, Facebook.

I've seen the Robocraft thread - I'm sure you guys could pick apart all the game mechanics here and tell me why they suck. And you're welcome to do that because then I can fix it, but do also be aware that ongoing changes are happening as well. For instance, next update I'm going to add a score multiplier system for "killstreaks" (destroying multiple vehicles without dying), which will help make trying to stay alive by collecting wreckage and repairing a more lucrative strategy vs. just going all-out shooting stuff all the time.

Nition fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I may run the Robocraft thread, but I support goon made projects.

This game is more Legos than Minecraft, which is a good thing for those who hate having to build a frigging entire robot block by block.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I bought this to support the goon cause and I'll be watching the thread even though I don't have time to play any non-Robocraft games, hope it goes fantastically for you!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I appreciate the support!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is a fun game that I enjoy playing. Watch the trailer for some of the stuff you can build, including the ever-popular Project Gunball.

Nition, I have two server-based requests for you:

1) A bot drop in/drop out system, so you can start a public game with a bunch of bots, but bots stop spawning back in as more people join.
2) Some way to tell whether a player is in play or in the build window.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Will check this out when I get back from vacay. Looks like it's right up my alley.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Splicer posted:

This is a fun game that I enjoy playing. Watch the trailer for some of the stuff you can build, including the ever-popular Project Gunball.

Nition, I have two server-based requests for you:

1) A bot drop in/drop out system, so you can start a public game with a bunch of bots, but bots stop spawning back in as more people join.
2) Some way to tell whether a player is in play or in the build window.

#1 is half in already - if you start a game with bots, players can still join and they'll automatically kick the bots out of the slots if necessary. But the bots don't come back in when the players leave again yet so you'll get a bit of a bot exodus eventually.
#2 is a good idea.

Also, I think this is the first footage of the Internet multiplayer on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctunZ1VeyF0

Gives a decent idea of things, although he only uses the laser weapons.

Edit: Nice video with a bigger vehicle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LZYa9o9STw

Nition fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 11, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
How many ways are there to gain experience? I'm getting the impression it's kill shots only and that would be pretty unfortunate if so, hopefully I'm wrong there.

This caught my eye a while back before the EA as "I'll probably impulse buy that". I haven't done much yet beyond grab this and poke at single player to practice because I'm super terrible at "build and replace parts mid match", let alone planning in general. But best of luck to you.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
It is currently just for kills I'm afraid, but that's going to change. I know it's pretty budget at the moment.

Getting lots of good feedback from the community this week. A lot of things to add and balance, you've just gotta bear with me a bit because right now I'm super busy with marketing stuff as well as actual game dev stuff.

Nition fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 11, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well you can also blow up the boxes in the test arena.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'm going to change it so you get XP for doing x amount of damage rather than getting a kill. That will prevent kill-stealing XP. Need something similar for score per game as well. Test Map blocks will give less XP for damage done than vehicles because well, they don't shoot back.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Every time I say to myself "I think I'll try out the multiplayer for about an hour" it shows 4 empty servers :v: (Well there was that one time "Ceres Dedicated" listed 1 player, but I guess they were AFK in the garage)

On that note, is there a particular reason why the three "Scraps Official Server" across three different regions all have different scrap values? East USA is 15k, West USA is 16k, and NZ is 15,500 for example. I mean, it would make sense for there to be a varied set of scrap values across official servers. What is throwing me off is the fact it's one per region.

Hopefully I'm just missing something that should have been obvious to list more servers.

EDIT: Also, am I just missing something on how "Fire 2" works? Can only seem to get M1 "fire whatever the Tab or Q says is turned on right now" to work. Mostly because I think it'd be cool to set some tail guns that I can just hit M2 for instead of fumbling with my Tab key or whatever gets mapped to that particular toggle.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 19, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Section Z posted:

Every time I say to myself "I think I'll try out the multiplayer for about an hour" it shows 4 empty servers :v: (Well there was that one time "Ceres Dedicated" listed 1 player, but I guess they were AFK in the garage)

On that note, is there a particular reason why the three "Scraps Official Server" across three different regions all have different scrap values? East USA is 15k, West USA is 16k, and NZ is 15,500 for example. I mean, it would make sense for there to be a varied set of scrap values across official servers. What is throwing me off is the fact it's one per region.

Hopefully I'm just missing something that should have been obvious to list more servers.

EDIT: Also, am I just missing something on how "Fire 2" works? Can only seem to get M1 "fire whatever the Tab or Q says is turned on right now" to work.

There are sometimes a few people on - it depends a lot on the time of day. But yeah multiplayer is often quiet at the moment I'm afraid. Not much I can do about that except keep making the game good, and making sure the AI is worth playing against. I've asked Valve to set up a 4-pack option as well, as a nicer way of buying to play with friends over the Internet (and the demo can be used to play on LAN).

One thing you can do is, instead of starting a singleplayer game, go to Multiplayer -> Internet -> Host A Game instead and set up the game the same way. You can still add your AI etc, but real people will also be able to see your game and join it if they're looking for a server. They'll automatically kick out an AI if they have to, so you can safely add all 8 players (although the AI doesn't come back after the human leaves - I need to add that feature).

I'm not running that many official servers just because of the costs involved (and since anyone can host a game themselves if they want), so I just switched up the scrap limits a little bit. US East and US West also alternate between maps (one is always on SandyBridge while the other is on DustBowl). I figured if you're in the US for instance you should be able to play fine on either of the US servers. And the NZ server is there because that's where I live - it's just a computer in my house.

There's actually no use for Fire 2 at the moment! Future plans for secondary fire modes that haven't been needed so far.

Nition fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 22, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nition posted:

There are sometimes a few people on - it depends a lot on the time of day. But yeah multiplayer is often quiet at the moment I'm afraid. Not much I can do about that except keep making the game good, and making sure the AI is worth playing against. I've asked Valve to set up a 4-pack option as well, as a nicer way of buying to play with friends over the Internet (and the demo can be used to play on LAN).

One thing you can do is, instead of starting a singleplayer game, go to Multiplayer -> Internet -> Host A Game instead and set up the game the same way. You can still add your AI etc, but real people will also be able to see your game and join it if they're looking for a server. They'll automatically kick out an AI if they have to, so you can safely add all 8 players (although the AI doesn't come back after the human leaves - I need to add that feature).
The issue is that if the host leaves everyone gets kicked. If drop in drop out ai isn't on the cards anytime soon for the official servers, could a kludge like some way to spawn bots manually or having (4-players) AI auto added at the start of each round be implemented easier?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 19, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
This is true. The reason that's not possible at the moment is that the AI is run on the host client rather than on the server. That's why dedicated servers can't have AI. It makes things simpler because the server can treat all vehicles as clients - human and AI the same - and just take their inputs etc. But dedicated server bot support is something I would like to add. It's not impossible, it's just some extra work.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This is a great game. More people should play it than Robocraft, because Robocraft is kind of hot garbage. I definitely got an Interstate '76/Mad Max feel for this game. Love that recoil has an effect on your car's performance, and I can't wait to grind up to some better parts.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I played for about 90 minutes today before snagging a refund.

I like the concept but it's pretty boring gameplay at the moment and having to grind pve idiot bots to unlock stuff to make it potentially less boring is not something that is floating my boat right now. I'll buy in again in a month or so. I encourage you to add more weapon and movement variation at newbie levels.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Understood. More content is coming (and the XP system could be better in itself as well).

I'm not sure about providing access to too much more stuff right at the start, just because I think it can be an overwhelming amount of choice for new players. The XP system also acts as a way to help ease players into the game.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I honestly don't care about the combat parts and especially multiplayer. I just want to build ridiculous vehicles and hoon them around the maps. I realize I am far from the target audience so I'm not expecting that to be a focus ever.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Honestly, I would believe the "ease player into the game" outlook more if most of the existing unlocks were not "Bigger/better." While I can admit I am terrible at overall design, that is not caused in any way by my choice of parts.

I can grant the energy weapons being more complicated to deal with. Even one laser takes a lot of parts for it to run without issue. But as for the rest? No, no having to wait to unlock a cockpit with twice as many hitpoints, or a power generator with more attachment points than top/bottom is not easing me into things. Unlocking heavier parts before the bigger engines that would allow me to not drive at a snails pace without bolting a several smaller engines on to compensate is not easing me into things.

Oddly enough, it's the blocks department I feel has the most lacking. Like with the Half extenders missing a direction. "Okay I want to put a half X2 slab on the side of my frame... oh I can only put one vertically, or edgewise horizontally. gently caress." Even more limited on the half X1 end.

Fortunately there's an obvious trick to PvE grinding, until it gets patched out. You can select what vehicle the enemy spawns with.

I realized this when I saw the AI deliberately picking complete joke vehicles I had made. So I made basically a pinata car. When I set up an 8 player vs Godly AI (last I checked, easy was 20 exp and godly was 35), half the AI still picks this car on purpose. Easy to kill, the mass of Anvil bricks and guns also doubles as a source of scraps because just plain killing something causes basically no scraps to happen.

So I've readily hit everything unlocked without managing to find a single active match. There was that one time a single player was on, but I guess they were AFK in the garage.

While I get where you are coming from with "Try starting your own server", it's just not the practical answer. If I'm going to try to play a game for about an hour, making a server and hoping somebody shows up to it, and then frustrating them when I leave instead of keeping it up 24/7.

Plus as a "beginner learning the game", I'd want to be able to drop out and properly test things, then get back into play. Can't do that if I'm the one running a server.

All that said, even if I was under two hours I wouldnt be asking for a refund. I do really hope things go well for you with this game, but for the moment the biggest hurdle is how hard it is for people to pop on and start playing. Not your choice of unlock scaling.

EDIT: My simplest "for babies" design is thanks to the biggest engine, and helped by having access to cockpits with more hitpoints (despite their added weight and cost). Sure that giant engine and max HP cockpit cost more scrap. But it's worth it in results and simplicity to have a 140 KPH tonka truck with dual Medium cannons, than shoving X smaller engines, an extra power plant, a more easily killed cockpit, and less efficient guns, even if it costs less scrap.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 20, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I honestly don't care about the combat parts and especially multiplayer. I just want to build ridiculous vehicles and hoon them around the maps. I realize I am far from the target audience so I'm not expecting that to be a focus ever.

Nah, you're totally (part of) the target audience. A big part of Scraps to me is just being able to build vehicles where the parts you use and where you put them really matters.

If you want to unlock all the parts without having to fight, there is in fact a cheat code. DUE WARNING: The XP system, as basic as it is right now, is designed to ease players into the game and also to provide something to work towards. Personally I like having stuff to unlock as I go - it's part of the reason I preferred Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 to its sequel, where everything was unlocked from the start. If you've read that and you still insist:
- Go to the main menu
- Type ihateprogressionandiwanteverythingnow

Benefits of not being free-to-play. I don't have to make people grind for stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nition posted:

Nah, you're totally (part of) the target audience. A big part of Scraps to me is just being able to build vehicles where the parts you use and where you put them really matters.

If you want to unlock all the parts without having to fight, there is in fact a cheat code. DUE WARNING: The XP system, as basic as it is right now, is designed to ease players into the game and also to provide something to work towards. Personally I like having stuff to unlock as I go - it's part of the reason I preferred Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 to its sequel, where everything was unlocked from the start. If you've read that and you still insist:
- Go to the main menu
- Type ihateprogressionandiwanteverythingnow

Benefits of not being free-to-play. I don't have to make people grind for stuff.

I did the QA for RC Tycoon 1 (my gf at the time was the Test Lead and I was the Second) that was the part I hated most.

Thanks for the code though!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Section Z posted:

Honestly, I would believe the "ease player into the game" outlook more if most of the existing unlocks were not "Bigger/better." While I can admit I am terrible at overall design, that is not caused in any way by my choice of parts.

I can grant the energy weapons being more complicated to deal with. Even one laser takes a lot of parts for it to run without issue. But as for the rest? No, no having to wait to unlock a cockpit with twice as many hitpoints, or a power generator with more attachment points than top/bottom is not easing me into things. Unlocking heavier parts before the bigger engines that would allow me to not drive at a snails pace without bolting a several smaller engines on to compensate is not easing me into things.
If the goal is easing people into the game, starting with the medium engines, power plants, machine guns, and cannons might be better than starting with the small ones. Then unlock the small engine, power plant, and machine gun as a package, then the large versions + rotating canon as a package. This gives you a progression of workhorse -> space fillers -> things you have to design around. Then introduce advanced power management (active cooling + capacitors), then dump all the energy weapons in a chunk.

Section Z posted:

Oddly enough, it's the blocks department I feel has the most lacking. Like with the Half extenders missing a direction. "Okay I want to put a half X2 slab on the side of my frame... oh I can only put one vertically, or edgewise horizontally. gently caress." Even more limited on the half X1 end.
I keep forgetting to post my block wishlist:
The aforementioned missing 1x2x0.5.
1x1x0.5.
Horizontal and vertical 2 to 1 adaptors.
Horizontal and vertical 1.5 to 1 adaptors.

Section Z posted:

I do really hope things go well for you with this game, but for the moment the biggest hurdle is how hard it is for people to pop on and start playing. Not your choice of unlock scaling.
I know I keep coming back to this, but some way to play solo on an official server would massively increase how often players encounter real people.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Splicer posted:

If the goal is easing people into the game, starting with the medium engines, power plants, machine guns, and cannons might be better than starting with the small ones. Then unlock the small engine, power plant, and machine gun as a package, then the large versions + rotating canon as a package. This gives you a progression of workhorse -> space fillers -> things you have to design around. Then introduce advanced power management (active cooling + capacitors), then dump all the energy weapons in a chunk.

Grouped unlocks would be nice, although I have some other ideas as well. I want to add some more parts first though, or there won't be much to unlock.

Splicer posted:

I keep forgetting to post my block wishlist:
The aforementioned missing 1x2x0.5.
1x1x0.5.
Horizontal and vertical 2 to 1 adaptors.
Horizontal and vertical 1.5 to 1 adaptors.

On my list I have vertical 1xhalf blocks, horizontal halfx2 extenders, and upside-down slopes. For the last two, you mean like on the medium chassis how the snap grid is offset by half in the middle section? I could do that.

Splicer posted:

I know I keep coming back to this, but some way to play solo on an official server would massively increase how often players encounter real people.

I might have to bump the priority on AI on servers, as it would be nice to have.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nition posted:

On my list I have vertical 1xhalf blocks, horizontal halfx2 extenders, and upside-down slopes. For the last two, you mean like on the medium chassis how the snap grid is offset by half in the middle section? I could do that.
That would also be cool. I was talking about, let's say you're using the small chassis, and you want to mount a single medium cannon on the front. You have to mount it to the left or right. I'd like a piece with two snap points on the bottom, and one snap point on the top. Also let's say you want to mount a single cowcatcher on the front of the medium chassis, again you're off to one side. I'd like either a two to three converter like the above, or ideally the more versatile 1.5 to 1 (use two and you get a 3 to 2).

Hopefully these crystal clear descriptions have helped.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Splicer posted:

That would also be cool. I was talking about, let's say you're using the small chassis, and you want to mount a single medium cannon on the front. You have to mount it to the left or right. I'd like a piece with two snap points on the bottom, and one snap point on the top. Also let's say you want to mount a single cowcatcher on the front of the medium chassis, again you're off to one side. I'd like either a two to three converter like the above, or ideally the more versatile 1.5 to 1 (use two and you get a 3 to 2).

Hopefully these crystal clear descriptions have helped.

Cool, yep, and the same thing would work for the medium chassis example I think.

Scraps doesn't force conforming to any "true" grid (I wanted to be a bit more versatile) and snap points can actually go anywhere, so that's doable. Mostly spacing is still in grids or half-grids of course because otherwise things would get crazy and never link up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Finally ended up in a match with real people for a while. It was nice, though 90% of what I was fighting was the one AI who'd basically home in on me no matter what while driving around for a solid minute in the big desert not seeing the live players. A bit hard to ignore a large cannon bolted to a mass of armor and engines, though the fact it couldn't go 10 seconds without a rollover helped.

I was completely baffled by the people putting their cockpit on the front or sides of their frames though. One guy said "it balances better" but I'm iffy on putting even the highest HP cockpit onto your bumper out in the open balls out, or even sidecar style.

I need to make more premades. 10k Tonka Truck means I feel like I'm wassting everybody's time fiddling about in the hangar to put on extra parts for a 20k limit match. Despite how effective large cannons or massed lasers are at loving you up, I Just prefer "Medium cannons, go fast!" stylistically.

As impressive as a framework with your cockpit 20 feet up meant to carry 5+ large cannons looks when it splats you. Today I learned struts made of anvils work wonders in firing stability, ow.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 21, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
In terms of weapon balance, the Large Cannon and Plasma are a little overpowered at the moment not because they're actually better for the price, but because they're turret weapons with more movement range. The plan going forward is to add turret versions of the Medium Cannon and MMG, a non-turret version of the Large Cannon, adjust the SMG to let it move a little left and right, then rebalance accordingly.

Also going to reduce the hit force you get from indirect explosions a bit. I like the physics stuff but there is such a thing as too much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nition posted:

In terms of weapon balance, the Large Cannon and Plasma are a little overpowered at the moment not because they're actually better for the price, but because they're turret weapons with more movement range. The plan going forward is to add turret versions of the Medium Cannon and MMG, a non-turret version of the Large Cannon, adjust the SMG to let it move a little left and right, then rebalance accordingly.

Also going to reduce the hit force you get from indirect explosions a bit. I like the physics stuff but there is such a thing as too much.

I'd assume vertical firecone difficulty is why I saw that large cannon strut mass buildup their cockpit to be 20 feet high.

I can't be that mad when a guy spawns in with 9 lasers cooks me to death (another reason I prefer any cockpit but the default one), because 9 lasers takes a shitload of power and cooling to even be allowed to fire them... I think. Then again, I clearly have no idea how the power system works.

"Okay, Laser is 2,700 W drain. A medium generator is 2,000 W + 250 W in. Build stats say 2.25k W in, 2.7kw out. Clearly this will drain my bar to fire right?... Oh I can fire it forever, provided enough heatsinks :confused:".

Though my biggest confusion about E weapons is that plasma artillery lists the lowest heat of any gun. Even the small MGs are over 10 heat per second than the plasma :wtc: I can't think of why I'd ever touch small MG without being able to map two separate fire groups to M1 and M2. Even if their fire arcs were as wide as the medium MG or cannon.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Section Z posted:

"Okay, Laser is 2,700 W drain. A medium generator is 2,000 W + 250 W in. Build stats say 2.25k W in, 2.7kw out. Clearly this will drain my bar to fire right?... Oh I can fire it forever, provided enough heatsinks :confused:".

Sorry, Laser stats in particular are actually buggy in the current version! It's actually doing half power drain and half damage versus what it should. Kinda balances out but it means the tooltip is wrong. Getting fixed next update, and you are correct that it should drain your power with those stats.

Plasma doesn't generate much heat but it drains heaps of power instead.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I've got a plan for improving the scoring system, but I'm also interested in any feedback on why my plan is actually terrible: http://steamcommunity.com/app/350150/discussions/0/535151589889915571

Also, here's a preview of the AI destroying me in low-gravity mode, which is coming in the next update:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I backed this during the kickstarter, had no idea you were a goon. Game is good.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Been here since :regd06:, newbie.

(also thanks for backing scraps :))

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Nition posted:

Been here since :regd06:, newbie.

(also thanks for backing scraps :))

Not surprised, with that kind of shitposting.

:glomp:

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
This is month is actually big for Goon games. Coldrice just released Interstellaria, Unormal just released Caves Of Qud, and Retro Sexual just released Guild Of Dungeoneering.

I can't believe Caves Of Qud has 100% positive reviews for over 100 reviews. I thought the Internet couldn't handle such a thing.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Scraps v0.5.1.0 is up. You can now get assist points for helping to destroy a vehicle so "kill stealing" is less of an issue. I've been thinking about potentially more complex solutions that would also help direct gameplay (as I linked a couple of posts up), but this should help for now.

There's also a new Low Gravity game modifier that you can select and apply to any game, and for the next 24 hours or so I'm also running an official Low Gravity game server (the LOW GRAVITY ZONE).

Full changelog:

2015-07 - 0.5.1.0
- Add Low Gravity game option.
- Added "assist" points for score and XP.
- Redesigned SMG to give it a little left/right movement.
- Balance: Increased engine efficiency multiplier a little. Cars with multiple engines will get a little faster.
- Balance: For Laser and Tesla, see Bug Fixes.
- Balance: Reduced Plasma rotate speed.
- Balance: Reduced Plasma and Large Cannon fire rates a little.
- Balance: Reduced container scrap capacity slightly from 2100 to 2000.
- Weapon damage spread stats look bigger, but the calculation has changed, and things now get knocked around a bit less in general.
- Some improvement for "teleporting" at high latency in multiplayer.
- Re-wrote the modal overlay (loading screen) system to poll state instead of reference count. I knew reference counting would be bug prone and lo, it was.
- Chat stays up a bit longer (you can always see recent chat by pressing T as well).
- Chat text and the round timer on the Build screen don't get in the way of each other quite so much.
- Updated fan translations for Russian, Swedish and Danish, and added a new French translation.
- AI players get a little (AI) designation by their name, and their full difficulty setting info on the leaderboard.
- Some changes to collision damage calculations.
- Started putting full-stops at the end of changelog entries.
Bug Fixes:
- Fixed laser and Tesla weapons only draining half the stated power, and laser also doing half damage. Balanced their stats a little after fixing.
- Remove some minor light halo effects due to an old, old Unity engine bug. Thought I had a workaround but apparently not in every situation.
- Fixed player scores not resetting between rounds.
- Fixed scrap and round length settings not applying if the field was still active when Deploy was clicked.
- End Of Round chat font now matches the in-game chat font.
- Fixed minor text misalignment on chat.
- Fixed server list jumping around in the background while entering a password.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
New update, v0.5.1.2, brings a new aiming mode which is now the default, where selected weapons will only fire if they're aiming near where you're aiming.

You can press R to switch the mode on and off. It's super useful for vehicles with weapons facing in different directions, and actually pretty useful for any type of vehicle (except ones with no weapons...).

This update also adds score multipliers that come from destroying vehicles without getting destroyed. At the top left you'll see a "x2" etc after destroying vehicles (up to a maximum x3) - if you destroy someone when you're at x2 for instance, you'll get double points.

Basically the idea is to add some incentive to try and stay alive and repair/upgrade when damaged, versus the alternative of self-destructing. Although self-destruct loses you a point and potentially gives a point to someone else, the extra time spent on the Build screen not earning points sometimes offsets that alone. In the future I'm also planning to make repairing able to automatically add back parts that have been destroyed, which should speed up time spent on the build screen a little. Anyway, it's fun to try and stay alive and kicking.

The multiplier system will quite possibly need some tweaking for balance - I'll see how it goes.

Full changelog:

2015-08 - 0.5.1.2
- Added "proximity firing" mode, now on by default. Sets weapons to fire only if they're aiming near the crosshair. Press R to switch.
- Added score multipliers for "killstreaks" - destroying multiple vehicles without being destroyed.
- Changed the assist points system a little in regards to vehicles that destroy themselves.
- Some general wreckage balancing. Also made wreckage easier to pick up.
- Sped up aim around in chase cam camera mode.
- Made game camera always default to the orbit cam on entering a new game. Having the camera save its setting only really caused confusion.
- Balance: Increased collision damage a little.
Bug Fixes:
- Fixed a bug with terrain dirt FX.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like the looks of your game, and it seems to substantially improve on Robocraft in a few ways while (hopefully) scratching that same itch.

I'm going to buy it when I have a few $pare dolla$$$ I think.

It seems like you're making a lot of positive changes too, and at a good pace. Kudos on that.

e: a question to the players (and to the OP too): how is the AI? It seems like there aren't terribly many players on all the time, so it is probably pretty necessary to have competent enemies driving the bots when you can't find a match

e2: Can you configure single-shot weapons to fire individually or all at once, or do they always use the same behavior? Is it possible to set weapon groups, so you can fire two guns in one volley and two more in the next, while the first ones wait for cooldown?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 9, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Check what vehicles your AI have selected to spawn with. They have a tendency to pick "I made this as a joke" if it's point value is better than alternatives.

Even if it is made of so many anvils it tilts backwards uselessly at a 45 degree angle, unable to fire it's rear mounted machineguns because of the power draw from 14 cooling fans.

While I need to dust this off and try it again, weapon groups seemed more "X weapon type". Refire rates in general are not slow enough to want to alternate fire, outside of the largest cannon or plasma artillery that fire every 2 seconds or so.

The "fire 2" button was an oops leftover in the keybinds last I asked and looked, because I myself would have liked to set a separate button for stuff like a row of small machinegunes on the sides of my car, or a rear facing cannon.

The only fire if guns can even aim that way option looks like a nice overall improvement. It's surprisingly pleasant and my main issue was bad luck with finding other players when I wanted to play. Though the last few times I did there were people around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Hey OP. Could you give me this game for free? Thanks.

• Locked thread