Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Incredibly pumped for this, 'bout drat time! This looks really really groovy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KilGrey posted:

So, how long do you think before Ted Raimi shows up?
Five times by episode three, six different roles. (I hope!)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, this is an interesting tidbit. When asked by EW about possible time travel shenanigans in the series, Bruce had this to say:

Source

Most significant is that last statement. Season 2 might already be green lit.

edit: Also, confirmation that THE CLASSIC still lives!
Groovy news. Let's hope this badboy does go at least five seasons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It had the best after credits scene of all time, at the very least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saw it tonight, incredible! Pretty much the best episode of TV ever produced. Bruce let loose like this with this kind of material, directed by Raimi no less, that's some groovy TV!

I suspect the subsequent episodes will be fairly close in style too, with TV the showrunners and whatnot usually kind of set the tone and people stick with it. Take Joss Whedon's shows, many directors, but it was all pretty smooth, plenty of great episodes were directed by others while having a similar look etc. I'm sure we'll see Raimi's signature first person flying evil shot and whatnot plenty more times.

And just hot drat, Bruce Campbell unleashed like this, he is the master of comedy and badassery. This show is a gift.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blazing Ownager posted:

I figure they kept that out because that would have taken a lot of explaining. Way too much for a pilot. It'd been a mistake to get into it now, even if they ultimately keep it.

... it's honestly something probably better to ignore for the first season, if not forever.

In interview Raimi said that the continuity is loose as always, and compared it to the Clint Eastwood Man With No Name movies. I don't worry about the continuity too much. Could also compare it to the Mad Max movies in that way.

I don't think ignoring it in particular is something they need to do, but I liked how somebody put it earlier in the topic, it's just no big deal to Ash so he doesn't bring it up these days. But considering this show is renewed for a second season and will probably get at least four or five seasons (if not five hundred), I could see him time traveling or something by season 4. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Deakul posted:

They don't have the rights to anything pertaining to Army of Darkness so they can't mention anything about it sadly.

He could always just make a nod or two to how medieval society was a bunch of primitive screwheads, or just have his gauntlet on a shelf, etc. From some earlier pictures of the show They end up at a Renaissance fair it looks like. I bet some jokes/references may occur.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jamesman posted:

Aww darn. I guess I made up my own joke. :(

Kinda like my third marriage.

Random Stranger posted:

But what else are we going to talk about while waiting for another episode?

How long do we have to wait for some Ted Raimi? At the Q&A at Comiccon Sam claimed he'd have to wait until season 2 for Ted. Can I wait that long, we gotta have that Ted acting extravaganza

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

frozenpeas posted:

I enjoyed it a lot but it was pure Evil Dead fan fiction.

If fans write as good as Raimi and co. here, I'd be happy to read it. Having some nods that fans will love doesn't equal "pure fan fiction". Just delivering the goods to satisfy fans, and to satisfy Raimi himself.

etalian posted:

I like how the whole visiting a dive bar and not be able to get top shelf women shows how he's even worse off than in the movies.

Plus still working retail in his 50s.

I feel like we watched a different show. He's the king, in his way.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 2, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If corny is the new word for insanely awesome, I'll have some popcorn and corn on the cob, with some cornbread and tortilla chips.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

buddhanc posted:

I loving love this show

It's been a delight so far, here's hoping they keep this on for years. At least we've got that second season already lined up!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

lomzus posted:

Lee Majors and Ted Raimi have been cast as Ash’s father and Ash’s childhood best friend, respectively, on the second season.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/lee-majors-ted-raimi-join-ash-vs-evil-dead-on-starz-1201700119/

Glorious! I've been waiting for Ted to show up.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

bathhouse posted:

Season 2 trailer just dropped and i'm drat excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtG-5uHLVA

Groovy! I like that dapper looking character we see for a second in the middle there. Now we just need some o' that Ted Raimi action.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat that was beautiful. Not just Ted, I mean the whole trailer, plus Ace of Spades oh lawd yes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Groovy news! Maybe we'll get another "Hail to the king, baby" in the mix.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Watched first ep of season 2 tonight, badass fun stuff! Glorious all around, groovy news that it's been renewed again, here's hoping it goes 7 seasons!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

coyo7e posted:

Serious question: has Campbell ever played a character who wasn't a moron, gently caress-up, loser, or a mix of all three?

I'm trying pretty hard to think of one, but I can't.

I'd say Ash is the king above all those things, but surely Jack of All Trades saved the day every time and had something witty to say to his sidekick woman along the way? And Brisco was fairly competent. The maitre d from Spider-Man 3 was pretty smooth.

feedmyleg posted:

Serious question: if I love Campbell in the Evil Dead series, Hercules, Xena, Jack of All Trades, Bubba Ho Tep, and Brisco County Jr...

Should I give Burn Notice a chance?

The series seems to have little that interests me outside of Campbell, but I'm wondering if I've just been snobby about that show based on the network and format. Is it any good outside of his character? Is it more a goofy CSI Miami or more a Magnum PI?

You could give it a try, but it's no Magnum P.I., and Bruce has a relatively minor role in it. It's mostly that Jeffrey Donovan guy. It does have plenty of comedy, it's not going for a CSI vibe or anything. It just gets pretty repetitive and not that well written after a bit, but it's okay. Bruce is always great though, he gets to throw some jokes in.

I'm glad it was a hit for Bruce, but I'm glad he's free from Burn Notice now, we've got the best show ever baby.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 9, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He plays the psycho villain in Icebreaker (a great rifftrax too), I guess technically he's a gently caress up, not any more so than your usual hilarious crazy villain though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Medullah posted:

Burn Notice was good until they resolved the main "burn" storyline and had to invent new conspiracies.

I still haven't watched the Sam Axe movie though.

Sam Axe movie is pretty forgettable, but when I rented it I got to enjoy the commentary track with Bruce, which made it worthwhile.

Speaking of obscure Bruce stuff, My Name is Bruce and Sundown: The Vampire In Retreat are both great. Running Time is also cool.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

VacuumJockey posted:

I never thought that there would come a day where Dead Alive was homaged on a prime time TV show, gore and all. Cable, but still!

I am very happy. The cast and crew should be awarded honorary Nobel prizes.

I haven't seen the ep yet but I wanna know, what's the reference? Love the movie but been a while, I'd get the reference if it's a lawnmower or "I kick rear end for the lord"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jerusalem posted:

That ending was incredible, this show is incredible, the fact this show even exists is incredible.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yep. Still the best show on televsion.

Agreed all! (and other similarly wise posts)

This show is ridiculously incredible. Hail to the king, baby. Also great to finally see the legend, the myth Ted Raimi show up.

Ash emerging from the bathroom with a girl's head while everybody runs away in terror was the funniest moment for me in ep 3.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just caught up on the last few episodes, hot drat this show rules. That ending is perfect, the Star Wars ghosts were so drat funny and glorious. Just needed Chewbacca up on the stage with Ash and friends.

And they can go anywhere next season, can't wait to see what they pull out of their sleeve. I hope season 7 is in a dystopian future.

(^ that Ashy Slashy puppet looks great by the way!)

bump_fn posted:

the whole finale was great but i think what clinched it was the straight up star wars ghosts at the end

Hell yeah! That's good stuff

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 27, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Groovy! Such a triumphant show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While we're talking gems, that's a good one, I also dig Lunatics: A Love Story starring Ted Raimi! Very cool movie. And of course also has Bruce Campbell!

And man indeed would've been great to see at least five seasons of this like they wanted. But at least that ending is a fun note, it's like a 90s comic book just appeared on the screen, one of the good ones too.

• Locked thread