Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
-->DAD MANGA MEGATHREAD<--

Single dads, married dads, gay dads, cooking dads, badass dads -- post about your favorite dad manga here. Good moms are also acceptable, as are surrogate dad-like figures like teachers or big brothers. As long as it's got some good family feelings it probably fits here.

Manga is the thread focus but anime is also allowed, especially if it's an adaption of a manga that's been posted about!

SOME RULES
-Follow the forum rules

-Mark anything that's NSFW with a warning if you are linking directly to it, or consider using a neutral, SFW information page like myanimelist or mangaupdates for manga with NSFW content.

-Support the official release! If a property has been licensed please use something like mangaupdates or the publisher's page for info links rather than linking to scans.

-Spoiler policy: Be considerate of other readers and if a chapter has just come out, use spoiler tags for plot stuff or any big surprises. Likewise, if talking about an anime please don't reveal plot details from the manga before the show gets to them. Overall just try to use good judgement and don't be an rear end in a top hat about it.

DAD THREAD GREATEST HITS
Not sure where to get started? Try one of these highly-regarded manga and anime compiled from recommendations throughout the thread:
going to update this part soon I'm still working on it

Beelzebub
The story follows the "strongest juvenile delinquent," Oga Tatsumi as he watches over the demon king's son (AKA the future demon king, nicknamed Beel) with the destruction of the world hanging in the balance.

Chichi Kogusa
A story about a medicine seller and his son and their struggles with each other after losing someone precious to them. A father who never really raised his son because he is always out doing his trade, but when suddenly his wife dies he must adjust his solitary journey to include his son.

Cooking Papa
Araiwa Kazumi is an energetic salaryman who is able to perfectly manage his responsibilities at work and at home. Kazumi is also a fantastic chef, though many of his coworkers are unaware of it. His wife Nijiko, who works as a journalist, has a bit of trouble making time for her home life. However, she tries to always be a cheerful mother. With their son Makoto, who is 7 at the beginning of the story, they have a very happy family. This is a story that follows the Araiwa household and their delight with delicious food. Cooking instructions are also often included throughout the story.

Father and Son
Chichi to Ko - Welcome to the bumpy, yet easygoing slice-of-life comedy of a certain father and son. The unpredictable and wild son, Shou. And the former gangster, hands-on father who looks out for him, You-san. Follow the lively father and son pair, as their everyday life is sure to eventful. Won’t you take a peek at this slice-of-life, slapstick but easygoing father and son comedy?

Forever Honey
Oneshot story about a father and daughter.

Ikumen After
A cute, sweet story about two single dads Asakura and Kentarou, whose young sons happen to go to the same daycare.

My Girl
Kazama Masamune - a single 23-year-old man... has a child? During the season of cherry blossoms, his beloved passes away. He happens to meet a little girl outside work and realizes she is his daughter who was raised in secrecy by his lover. The worst spring of his life is transformed into a painful yet vivid spring.

Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie
A man comes home one day to have his wife give him divorce papers. A woman comes home to her apartment one day to find a woman she doesn’t know wrapped in a towel coming out of the shower. They both get conned by the same real estate conman on the same house, a 4LDK. So now the man, his two sons, the woman, and her two daughters live in the same house.

Oyaji
Hardass oldtimer tries to make good with his estranged family before it's too late.
At some times completely over the top and highly violent, at others very down to earth.
At all times, manly.

Sweetness and Lightning
Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He's pretty bad at cooking and doesn't have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it's no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious.

Yome ga Kore na Monde.
A sitcom about an ordinary man and his alien wife.

---

If you aren't in the mood to read, watch some Dad Anime!

Usagi Drop
Going home from his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover. The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin Kaga. In a fit of anger, Daikichi decides to take her in himself. As Daikichi nurtures Rin, he started to understand the struggle while at the same time the joy of parenting.
If you check out the manga, read past the time skip at your own risk: After the time skip, the story becomes a romance between Rin and Daikichi. This part is a fairly self-contained arc and you can safely skip it if you don't want to read that kind of thing, and isn't present in the anime at all.

Barakamon
After punching a famous curator in the face for criticizing his work as "textbook and lifeless," Handa Seishuu is sent to Gotō Island to calm his nerves and find new inspiration for his calligraphy. Growing up in the city all his life, though, Handa must adapt to country life while meeting an assortment of quirky people during his tenure.

Davincie posted:

the barakamon anime hits the same spot too, even if its not dads but just adult guys babysitting kids/teens

You Are Umasou
A Tyrannosaurus called Heart was raised by a herbivorous dinosaur. As he grew up, he was scared by other dinosaurs. One day, Heart meets a baby Ankylosaurus and he names the baby "Umasou (looks delicious)". Umasou started to be attached to Heart and a strange family love develops between the two.
DINO DAD YOU GUYS

Sweetness & Lightning
All the cuteness of the manga, now animated :kimchi:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Recommendation Archive
Last Update:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2020

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Which single dad manga will make me cry like a little girl?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yozora no Sumikko de is a good gay dad manga.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Pewdiepie posted:

Seizon Life.

Davincie posted:

some more i thought of

frog dad
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaeru-no-Ossan

boy dad (actually babysitters but whatever)
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakuen-Babysitters

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yotsuba should also be in the list, even though it has (had?) its own thread.

Smoking Crow posted:

Where's Lone Wolf and Cub

Ringo Roadagain posted:

you want dad manga? here is some loving dad manga

Hanaotoko
Shigeo is a high strung elementary school student living with his mother. His only concern is getting ahead in life by doing well in school. He despises his father Hanao (who is separated from them), who's an idealistic free spirit and a kid at heart, infatuated with the sport of baseball. Shigeo's mother forces Shigeo to take time to visit his father, and so begins Shigeo's lessons that there's more to life than excelling academically (courtesy of his very childish father)

The Night The Stars Falls
Fukumoto one shot about a dad. Jut a regular dad. Not notable in anyway. It's not even 30 pages.

z0glin Warchief posted:

Yeah I got some dad manga for you too:

Hotman is quite old but a very classic dad manga.

Kyouko to Tousan is a dad manga where the daughter is all grown up :sniff:

Sen to Man is another dad manga, except this time the daughter is a prickly teenager so it's a lot of them sniping at each other with varying degrees of affection.

Hirameki Hatsume-chan is about a dad, his daughter, and her crazy inventions.

Cynic Jester posted:

Not sure if Shirogane no Nina counts as a dad manga. It has the whole worthless freeter put in a position of responsibility for a child thing, but it's more about the kid adapting to Japan and acting cute than anything else.

Trihugger posted:

Musuko no Yome

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Musuko-no-Yome

Old man gets a phone call telling him his estranged son has passed away. And it turns out the caller is his son's widowed wife who is also a 16 year old girl.

Only 3 chapters so far. It's by the author of Yandere Kanojo and has a similar feel to it. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing considering Yandere Kanojo has quite a few strange relationships. I'm hesitantly hopeful that this manga turns out good.

nehezir posted:

Did Otaku no Musume-san get mentioned?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Otaku-no-Musume-san

The summary appears to imply its about the daughter or her perspective, but I always felt it was well balanced between kanau and kouta.

Love so Life recommended w/caveats:

Leper Residue posted:

If you want more adorableness, try Love so Life, which also has babies armed with WMD levels of cuteness.

arisu posted:

The romance in Love so Life is hilariously bad though. Hey I'm a 27 year old man confessing to a 17 year old high school girl, giving you this super expensive ring, but so as not to be too creepy, please give me your answer in exactly 10 years.

Davincie posted:

new manwha i found

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/santa-silyeong-r14801

its korean, so its starts with melodrama but after that its been nice enough. girl flees from an abusive household, an old man finds her and takes her in and she is welcomed into a new loving family. also, the old man is santa claus

Davincie posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Juuni-Banme-no-Tenshi

here's a short, tragic sort of dad manga

Davincie posted:

here's a new series

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tenohira-size-r16252/

its a single mom series though! those are pretty rare as far as i've seen. its already ended in japan (single volume) so we'll probably actually get all of it translated. its from the same author as the good Soshite, Hare ni Naru.

links to stuff I've posted:

quote:

The Komukai Household's Circumstances is a really cute one-shot by Hideyoshico about a boy with two dads. It's in the collection Nennen Saisai (the other two stories are unrelated).

quote:

A new chapter of Baby, Kokoro no Mama ni! came out, now there's a whole TWO chapters translated. :negative: I hope a new group has definitely picked it up and it's not just a one-off pity chapter.

Puku Okuyama draws the squashiest kids :3:

quote:

Flat
Heisuke is a young man who was left in charge of taking care of his little cousin Aki for a day. Being an only child who usually stays at home alone, Aki is quiet, reserved, and will go out of his way not to make trouble for others. As they spend more time together, Aki begins to grow very attached to Heisuke, especially since Heisuke's hobby is to make sweets and desserts. The quiet Aki eventually opens up to Heisuke, and Heisuke in return teaches Aki that sometimes it's all right to be selfish and say what you really want to do.

I forgot I'd even followed this one and had never even read any of it, but noticed today a new chapter came out. It's more in the brotherly caretaker/older kid watches younger kid category but is worth a mention. Heisuke is amazingly dense and oblivious so a lot of the plot so far (I've only read the first volume at this time) has been around him saying or doing something thoughtlessly and then having to deal with the fallout, mostly to Aki but also to his friends at school. I think it improves as more of his family gets introduced as well; the scenes with Aki's parents at home with Aki are good stuff.

Seems this was a debut manga and the author only has one other (newer) series that's currently untranslated. This one is complete at 8 volumes but only half so far is translated. Nice that a new group picked it up and will hopefully continue it.

quote:

A new one for the male lead + childcare pile

King of Childcare
The story follows Iku Fukuda, who likes working with kids, so he gets a job at a day care center. When he realizes there's a gap between his expectations and reality, he quits after 2 months. But Fukuda doesn't give up on his love of working with kids.

Just one chapter so far but it was a pretty good starting chapter. It's by the same person who wrote Gingitsune which I haven't read but thought was pretty well-received?

quote:

Bambi to Dhole
Yukimi is her real name but everyone calls her Bambi. She is the student discipline committee member who locks students out of the school if they're a minute late, but sneaks cigarette breaks on the roof. Lone wolf (Dhole, Asiatic wild dog) transfer student Tetsu (everyone pronounces it Tooru) Nagasawa hops the fence after she locks it and breaks her cigarette in half when he finds her on the roof, but he's a super nice guy to a mother and baby on the train. Bambi already has a boyfriend but will the wolf steal her heart?

It's a bit of a spoiler for the first couple of chapters but I'm posting this one here because Tetsu is a teen dad raising his son with his grandmother's help. There's only 4 chapters out at this point but it's had a pretty strong start. Being part of a family is the big theme so far, although it's a shoujo romance so obviously things will go in that direction as well!

quote:

Wild Rose (kindle version, emanga version)
Take has been watching Kanda-san single-handedly take care of his young daughter Mone for quite a while now. When Kanda's wife finally shows her face at the shop only after Kanda has gone home, Take can't help but demand an explanation for why she'd abandon her family with such a great husband and daughter. But when Kanda's wife blurts out “because he told me he's gay!” it's definitely the last thing Take was expecting! (names corrected to match official translation)

The story is three chapters + an extra (nsfw). The other stories in the book are unrelated. There's quite a bit of depth to be so short and I really love the art style as well. There's a substantial amount of BL with single dads but I try to refrain from dumping titles here indiscriminately -- I feel like the ones that really qualify for this thread are stories where the children are fully-realized characters who interact with the adults and aren't just props or plot devices. That's one of the things I really liked about this little story -- Take playing with Mone was adorable, and it was clear he wasn't just thirsty for some single dad action but really cared about them both. Also Grandma is fantastic :haw:

Same author also did Itoshi no Nekokke which is excellent and probably stands to be mentioned here in passing -- not a dad manga but the main characters have a single mom roommate and there are some cute interactions with her kid.

:3:

FYI the Kindle edition's formatting really sucks; I actually read the fan translation first then bought it so I could read the rest, then realized it was awful and returned it so I could get the emanga version and turns out that one is a couple bucks cheaper as well, lol.

quote:

Working Holiday
One summer day, a fifth grade boy name Susumu suddenly appear before former biker gang member now current host club host, Okita Yamato and said that Okita is his father! Afraid of being a bad influence on his son, Yamato transforms himself into a daytime working parcel delivery man. But being a father is harder than it seems as Yamato struggles to become a good role model for his son.

Checked and didn't see it posted already, but if someone did and I missed it - sorry! This is another one I'd apparently followed without reading and forgot it existed, but looks like the second volume has finally been picked up by another group. It isn't spectacular, either story-wise or art-wise, but is a solid slice of life and is notable IMO for the mother not being dead or otherwise permanently out of the picture even though (so far) she hasn't actually been present, just spoken about. It might be better to read after the rest of volume 2 is available -- it's a short series so that's all there is.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 7, 2020

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
usagi drop, yo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Anyway, dad manga is good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

It's awesome. It also has a sequel with the son in high school!

I love her covers so much :swoon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
dad anime. so what

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

PotU posted:

usagi drop, yo

Should we have a public service annoucement to like, not read the end of this one? I didn't put it in the OP deliberately so as to not get into that, but Usagi Drop is both a good and a terrible dad manga and I didn't know how much everyone wanted to delve into that. The anime is cute at least.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

What is Usagi Drop and how does it end?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything Burrito posted:

Should we have a public service annoucement to like, not read the end of this one? I didn't put it in the OP deliberately so as to not get into that, but Usagi Drop is both a good and a terrible dad manga and I didn't know how much everyone wanted to delve into that. The anime is cute at least.

Put it in the anime bit and tell people to never read the manga.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Seizon Life.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Bunny Drop anime is some of the best poo poo ever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some more i thought of

frog dad
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kaeru-no-Ossan

boy dad (actually babysitters but whatever)
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakuen-Babysitters

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

Seizon Life.

This looks interesting!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the barakamon anime hits the same spot too, even if its not dads but just adult guys babysitting kids/teens

also tokyo godfathers lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

Imagine eating a really yummy bowl of crunchy cereal, then towards the end you look down and realise that you've actually been eating cockroaches for the past couple of minutes, that's Usagi Drop.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

littleorv posted:

Dude adopts his half-aunt and then after a time skip she develops romantic feelings for him and then the end is him giving in to her.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

dipple posted:

Dude adopts his half-aunt and then after a time skip she develops romantic feelings for him and then the end is him giving in to her.

:stare:

Sakurazuka posted:

Imagine eating a really yummy bowl of crunchy cereal, then towards the end you look down and realise that you've actually been eating cockroaches for the past couple of minutes, that's Usagi Drop.

What do you know that's probably a pretty good description.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

littleorv posted:

Man visits grandfather's funeral.
Man learns grandfather had an illegitimate kid.
Man adopts kids since the rest of the family wants nothing to do with her.
Kid grows up to fall in love with her adoptive dad and wants to get hitched. They do.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah but none of that poo poo is in the entire first half (nor most of the second) it's a wonderful story of a family forming out of some unusual circumstances.
Thankfully the anime is literally just the first half and you can completely ignore that the author lost her drat mind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm still mad about Bunny Drop.

idgaf tho. The anime is crazy good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the anime is totally worth watching and you're getting the best part of the story that way. Probably instead of "don't read ever" maybe "read at your own risk" but whatever.

I never finished it myself; at the time I was reading it, it was still being released and I stopped following it somewhere midway so I never went very far into the part after the timeskip.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

dipple posted:

Bad Seafood posted:

Man visits grandfather's funeral.
Man learns grandfather had an illegitimate kid.
Man adopts kids since the rest of the family wants nothing to do with her.
Kid grows up to fall in love with her adoptive dad and wants to get hitched. They do.

Might be remembering this wrong, but I thought she wasn't the grandfather's child but just adopted? Still doesn't make it any better though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Komukai Household's Circumstances is a really cute one-shot by Hideyoshico about a boy with two dads. It's in the collection Nennen Saisai (the other two stories are unrelated).

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

maybeflan posted:

Might be remembering this wrong, but I thought she wasn't the grandfather's child but just adopted? Still doesn't make it any better though.

Eventually, that turns out to be the case, yes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

a kitten posted:

Yeah but none of that poo poo is in the entire first half (nor most of the second) it's a wonderful story of a family forming out of some unusual circumstances.
Thankfully the anime is literally just the first half and you can completely ignore that the author lost her drat mind.

Despite the :japan: emote I get the feeling that the anime ending right before the timeskip was deliberate. It's the weirdest thing, since the entire rest of the manga doesn't seem to be aimed at...that sort of crowd.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yeah the anime is totally worth watching and you're getting the best part of the story that way. Probably instead of "don't read ever" maybe "read at your own risk" but whatever.

I never finished it myself; at the time I was reading it, it was still being released and I stopped following it somewhere midway so I never went very far into the part after the timeskip.

I'm in the same boat. It's a good boat to be in.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

mycot posted:

Despite the :japan: emote I get the feeling that the anime ending right before the timeskip was deliberate. It's the weirdest thing, since the entire rest of the manga doesn't seem to be aimed at...that sort of crowd.

theres always been hints that the author aint quiet right considering the self insert character of the manga author

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope this isn't going to be the de facto usagi drop thread

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Naw, i think we all got it out of our system now.
Watch the anime! Is good.

I think i'm going to read Sweetness and Lightning, because that's a great title that i cant' believe hasn't been used before. It better live up to it! :mad:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i said not to go there in the chat thread!!

sweetness and lightning is great but the crunchyroll reader is a mess. they have panels left untranslated and a few pages just dont load

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The Yotsuba thread has been archived for like a year and a half so it's probably okay to talk about it here. Unless someone makes a new Yotsuba thread.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Might as well.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Chichikogusa
Forever Honey

Just read both of these and yep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does Aishiteru Ze Baby count if the MC is still a high school student? I remember enjoying the anime version way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry, Sweetness and Lightning dad has dethroned Yotsuba dad as top tier manga dad.