Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Welcome to Chrononauts! A hybrid card/mafia game for 17 players

Click here for laziness!

Each of you will play the role of a time traveller trying to keep the timeline stable while figuring out who the agents of chaos are and stopping them.

Each player will also have a personal goal to change history for their benefit and a Mission to collect artifacts from history

Most goals and missions will result in passive, 1 shot, or card related abilities.

There are few things about chrononauts that should be explained.

There is a Timeline -

The blue areas are "Ripplepoints" which are events that are effected by the green squares, called "Linchpins".
So, if you had an ability or card that you could use to Turn over a Linchpin , it would have the effect of turning over all of the ripplepoints associated with that linchpin.

So for example if you did an action to flip over the "Lincoln Assassinated" Linchpin the 1868 Spot on the timeline would turn into a paradox and 1974 would be halfway to becoming paradoxed (as it requires 1963 to be flipped as well).

Those ripplepoints would then turn into a paradox which must be repaired by flipping the Linchpin back over OR playing a "Patch" card.

Under each Linchpin it shows which dates it effects, under some ripplepoints it shows specific things that need to be in place for them to turn into a paradox.

If a Linchpin is in a "flipped" or "Inverted" state it will go from green to red.

Each player will start the game with one card from the Inverter/Patch deck and one card from the Action/Artifact Deck.

Inverters are cards that are used to Invert or "flip" Linchpins, some inverters flip specific Linchpins, some flip any Linchpin.

Patches are cards that are used to cover a paradox with a "Patch" which changes history in certain ways but it reduces thenumber of Paradoxes in play. Patches will be displayed as Yellow on the timeline, and when they are played and playing
a patch card will allow the player to draw another card to replace it.
The characters personal goals often involve having specific patches in play.

Artifacts are objects found throughout time, some artifacts may have powers associated with them.
Each Player will have their current artifacts displayed in the second post for everyone to see.
Each players mission will involve the collecting of artifacts.

Other things that will be found in the Artifact/Action deck are "Actions , Timewarps, and Gadgets"

Each of those things has various effects that will be explained when you get the card.

The way the flow of play will work if that you will all be playing this as a normal game of mafia while also attempting to gain power to assist you in playing mafia by manipulating the timeline to accomplish your personal goals and prevent scum from winning by having too many paradoxes.

Chaos aligned (scum) will win in the usual way and may ALSO win if there are ever 13 Paradoxes on the Timeline. So it is always important to pay attention to the Timeline in the second post.

Each player may use only ONE card each day by telling me via PM, cards will be processed in the order they are recieved.

Each night you will draw a new card to a maximum of 5 cards.

Artifacts will not take up a spot in your hand when drawn.

In the Second post you will Find the current timeline, the cards currently in the discard pile, and each players current artifacts (but not what they do if anything.)

Normal Mafia rules apply.

Nights will be closed.

Lynches will be Majority.

1. AnonymousNarcotics
  2. apostateCourier
  3. bowmorePoison Mushroom
  4. chaoslord
  5. garthoneeye
  6. JakeP
  7. King Burgundy
  8. Kleedrac
  9. Kumbamontu
  10. Look Under The Rock
  11. Meinberg
  12. Mithross
  13. OpopanaxByers2142
  14. Puntification
  15. Quidnose
  16. Somberbrero
  17. WHICH WAY MADNESS

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Discard Pile:

Timewarp: Quick Trip to the future
Draw 3 cards, choose one and discard the others

Inverter: Avert disaster This inverter flips 1912, 1915, or 1937 from green to red

Inverter: Prevent Assassination
This inverter flips any linchpin that prevents any assassination from taking place (For example you may prevent lincolns assassination BUT if someone else has already used an inverter to prevent it and that linchpin is flipped already, you would not be able to change it back, because it only PREVENTS an assassination)

Inverter: Reverse Fate: Flips any linchpin

This inverter flips any linchpin that prevents any assassination from taking place (For example you may prevent lincolns assassination BUT if someone else has already used an inverter to prevent it and that linchpin is flipped already, you would not be able to change it back, because it only PREVENTS an assassination)

Artifact: Mona Lisa (An Obvious forgery)

Artifact: Mona Lisa(An Excellent Forgery)

Inverter: Restore History
use to flip any RED linchpin back to Green

Artifacts

1.Kumbamontu - Artifact: Sports almanac From The Future
2.Kleedrac -
3.WHICH WAY MADNESS -
4.apostateCourier - Artifact: Crown of Thorns, Artifact: Rongo Rongo Tablets
5.Quidnose
6.King Burgundy -
7.Mithross - Gadget: Really Fast Time Machine
8.garthoneeye
9.Byers
10.Look Under The Rock - Gadget: Teeny tiny Time machine
11.Poison Mushroom
12.AnonymousNarcotics - Artifact: Jade Statue of Tirade
13.Puntification- Artifact: A live Stegosaurus
14.meinberg
15.JakeP -
16.chaoslord - Artifact: Mona Lisa (the real thing)
17.Somberbrero - Artifact: Videotape of the creation of the universe

Day 1 start

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 28, 2015

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this looks cool, sign me up

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I own Chrononauts the card game so I'm waaaay into this ;D

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
This seems really neat!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I will try, yes!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yay, been waiting for this!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I will play, but I will be very disappointed if my goal isn't to create an alternate timeline in which I get to be a kickin rad cyborg.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I'm a fan of Chrononauts, I'll join!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm ready to catch that Carmen Sandiego!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I want in

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
should I play? ok

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I bookmarked this thread because it looks really cool and interesting but I'm afraid it's too hard and I'm in tournament of heroes which is also a big game. But every time someone bumps this thread it hits me again that I want to play this.

Should I play? Ok fine I'll play.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Sorry for the existential crisis

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Pig games are some of my favorite games! Sign me up.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I've retired from Mafia now. But in the past...?

Paradox!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Meinberg posted:

I've retired from Mafia now. But in the past...?

Paradox!

I know how to solve this paradox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

##Vote Meinberg

(This is a signup post)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i guess ill play since im signed up and all

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I forgot about Rolling Start.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Quidnose posted:

I forgot about Rolling Start.

Scum detected! :siren:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yes?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Full!

Ill send out pms and stuff on my lunchbreak, speaking of lunchbreaks,

My good friend Kumbamontu has a game too!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3732012&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post447942865

if youre interested in that kind of thing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
You're a gentlepig and a scholar.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Time is non-linear so I've already won this game. Well played folks.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Gg. I played hard but you deserved it somber

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Somberbrero posted:

Did I win too? :ohdear:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

Did I win too? :ohdear:

Yeah, you claimed Miller day one and no one ever called you on it!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, you claimed Miller day one and no one ever called you on it!

I always wondered if I could get away with that. Nice.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Somberbrero posted:

I paradox out the timeline in which you win, and switch the future to an alternative timeline in which I've won, chaoslord is lynched (but turns out to have actually been a miller, sorry), and everyone else gets a free car.

I'm sorry Somber, but you not winning makes everyone else's life better! Chaoslord, your death led to free 4-wheel drive for a dozen people. Be proud!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mithross posted:

I paradox out the timeline in which you win, and switch the future to an alternative timeline in which I've won, chaoslord is lynched (but turns out to have actually been a miller, sorry), and everyone else gets a free car.

I'm sorry Somber, but you not winning makes everyone else's life better! Chaoslord, your death led to free 4-wheel drive for a dozen people. Be proud!

Well that's the risk you take sometimes. I'm glad I could help.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
do i need to read the rules for this game

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

Probably

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JakeP posted:

I'm not. Put me and jake on a team

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mithross posted:

Is it a car that I can sell for at least $19,000? 'Cause that'd be cool.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

I'm not. Put me and jake on a team

only if I get to be Ted and you are bill

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Excellent.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ok so role pms are taking long time, I got some done on my lunch break, if you didnt get one ill send more out on my second break.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok so role pms are taking long time, I got some done on my lunch break, if you didnt get one ill send more out on my second break.

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig :argh:

The real trick is he didn't actually send any PMs. He just wanted everyone to feel bad that they weren't important enough to be in the first wave.

• Locked thread