Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*jumps through the ceiling window cackling madly* AND I NEVER WILL AH AH AH AH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dukka posted:

I once played OpenRCT2.

if you don't do things like this for every ride in roller coaster tycoon, well, i just don't even know what to say...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

a quick google search brings up this
http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/1h93gx/more_exact_recreations_of_rct1_scenarios_for_rct2/

assuming these are the same ones that i used a longass time ago, they're pretty exact, the one major difference though is i think you're locked into either charging a park entrance fee or a ride ticket fee, you're not allowed to do both

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

never build an atm, raise ticket prices until people complain about how expensive they are, then lower them a bit, then build as many loving roller coasters as possible. make most of them small and around 4-5 intensity, they just need to be there to draw people. you want to charge a shitload for food and poo poo too to get them out of the park, they'll leave once they're out of money and make space for the next guy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

he realized his programming powers were too great for any mortal to comprehend and retired to mobile apps

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Do any of you know how scenery affects ride ratings? I know that if you put scenery near a ride, it improves its stats, but I can't find any details anywhere. Like, how close should it be, should it all be from the same theme, does the value of the items matter, and so on..

Jam things within five tiles, itll make a difference up to 48 props apparently but if you're making your coaster Wicked Sweet it'll have more than that anyways. It doesn't matter what they are or where, I've experimented just shoving 50 barrels next to a small part of the track once and it caps out the same.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Have you tried adding scenery or making it go underground? It adds excitement.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

it's poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I looked at this video of RCT world and it might actually be.... good......??

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Probably do not preorder either game, or any game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Control Volume no longer has an avatar telling us to shut up about roller coasters. Clearly it is now fair game to demand they finish their LP. :colbert:

Okay I'll update the LP tonight.

But it'll be the wrong lp ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to pay $$$$60 american dollars for planet coaster

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Orv posted:

I can still hear the rattle of cars and the scream of rollercoaster riders from RCT1 without trying, hopefully Planet Coaster is even near that level of memorable.

The sound of the mechanic hammering on a still running roller coaster

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Go for the realistic option and just make a vaguely fancy entrance and then slap trees everywhere around your coaster like a vast majority of theme parks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The trick to learning to build a good roller coaster is to not build a roller coaster at all, but a completely uncovered waterslide.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

QA departments everywhere are tearing their hair out at all these terrible posts about options, and how its just one button, and oh its not really hard

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They should also add individual buttons for: ride costs, ride fees, ride maintenance, happiness penalties, loan interest, physics????, how mad people get if theyre not allowed to leave the park, how mad people get if you throw multiple roller coaster trains/go karts into a conveniently straight pathways

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Willo567 posted:

What makes the scenarios better in 1 than in 2?

1 had very focused gimmicks for the parks that encouraged unique paths to winning (katies world was all rain all the time, mothball mountain needed every ride replaced due to age, dinky park was, well, dinky) and 2 was just giant land areas with great scenery but functionally no gameplay difference between them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Since parkitect is finally getting out of EA, I bought it and now Im making scenarios and messing with roller coasters, help

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

no never

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I made a scenario and look forward to playing it tomorrow becuase not a single fcking person seems to make this poo poo on the steam workshop

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its that or the difficulty of Robin Hood, the scenario you can beat by raising the ride prices

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im loving how easy it is to make park scenarios that are passably decent looking

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its one of the biggest benefits of the unrealistic, stylized look for sure. Having simple grid-based art to cover for my own lack of talent is great

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:woop: PARKITECT :woop:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can pop peoples balloons while theyre still holding them

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Is there a good guide on what parkitect ride prices should be at approximately?

It follows the rough RCT guideline of excitement/10.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

A good thing is that they're going to still update the game after the campaign which many people (like me) have been waiting for.

But how do I make it so I am actually in the black instead of bleeding money every month?

Use scenery to pump up prices and use thrill rides with high throughput.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive spend all day thinking about this drat game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A well designed big coaster will give you double the income of the loan + maintenance. I finished scenario two making 800 a month profit incl loan and research.

What are you charging and what are your money sinks?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

how do you tell if a ride is getting bonuses from scenery?

also is there a building break away view that I'm not seeing?

I dont think you can check if/how a particular piece of scenery influences a ride, but everything is LOS based and there's a visualization graph in the ride info of how all scenery is affecting it.

Also no cutaway unfortunately, you either see all scenery or none of it. Being able to selectively hide scenery would be a cool feature for the crazy people who make detailed interiors

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wooper posted:

How do I make intense rides and why isn't exciting rides good enough for these animals?

Use less banking and make them faster

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dead* trees dont block line of sight. Normal alive trees are great at it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

buglord posted:

is this game good

yeah

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Are water towers a joke that I'm missing or just their height making them good scenery for all the shuttle loops?

They're the highest scenery for the lowest effort

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its okay, Im right there with you on not making the lp :coal:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Keep posting, it's nice to see what actual effort and good jobs in this game look like.

I just spent thirty minutes on the first scenario making a piece of poo poo house. I have no idea how to build things in Parkitect, especially since it seems like anything in the "structure" category cannot be moved on a smaller grid than 1:1.

You just have to embrace the grid and the fact that all the good looking structures in this game are grid based with minor deviations in the details. Thankfully you can make a post-and-beam house in your sleep after you find the border tab.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheDK posted:

Also I should probably be using blueprints more. In the first western campaign I copied the frame they had around the carousel and used that on 4x4 rides to keep things somewhat consistent.

Blueprints are more for when you want to do some scenery prep in sandbox and immediately bring it to a campaign map as something to build around. The real heroes of this game are the object pipette and paint tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The solution to giving up on scenery and just putting coasters everywhere is realizing that the coasters are the scenery