Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My secret gaming shame is that I never build my own coasters in RCT :( Apart from the classic "Shuttle to Hell" launch ramp coasters, I've never figured out how to make a coaster that doesn't break the bank, and isn't too intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Orv posted:

This thread has got me playing RCT1 seriously for the first time in quite a while, as opposed to my usual schtick of doing the first four or five missions and then stopping. It seems that all the forums discussions, guides and little tricks I've accumulated over the years have made me terrifyingly proficient at this game. It's a nice feeling.

I find I keep reaching the goal in the first year, maintaining it, and then having to sit around for the next 4-5 years waiting for it to finish so I can move onto the next one. Forest Frontiers 4 lyfe yo

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

As far as open RCT2 is concerned, does theme actually do anything to the park beyond aethestically? Does objects popping up around a rollercoaster increase the excitement, etc. Heck, does rollercoasters coming near other attractions and even dueling ones have a mechanical benefit or is it just looking cool?

Ride excitement is definitely affected by decorations, proximity to other rides or water, underground segments, synced rides, and several other variables. You can check how excitement works here, and go absolutely insane trying to minmax your park. Apparently excitement is 1:1 with acceptable ride admission, too?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 29, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Am I insane and misremembering things? I could have sworn that OpenRCT2 had support for RCT1 stuff and there was a way to load it and have it bring over scenarios and such.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just started the third Pirate level in Career and it's kicking my rear end :(
Building coasters always hosed me over in RCT and I don't know how to make my park profitable otherwise.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I read that you can get way better stats out of certain thrill rides by altering their cycles; is this true? Also, is there any difference between entertainer/food/drink types apart from variety?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a way to select more than one piece of track at a time or do I need to smooth piece by piece?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there some kind of metric I can use to know how much to bank my coasters? I've finally gotten to the part of the career where I'm forced to make an actually decent coaster in order to win and it's really hard :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I finally built a coaster that doesn't puree people for that goddamn Great Tree objective, with mostly consistent green EFN heatmaps... and it has 4.97 out of the required 5.00 excitement :negative:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Build a path over a low high speed area just after a hill. The "headchopper" effect might bump the excitement. Might also bump fear though.

Alternatively increase lifthill chain speed slightly to increase overall ride speed ever slightly (it comes into the drop slightly faster).

Increasing the lift chain speed bumped it from 4.97 to 6.34 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of the weaknesses of the game's EFN system is that the final stats are just a simple average of the efn across the entire ride. Thus the shorter you low excitement lift hill takes the higher the average excitement.

But it says on the lift chain tooltip that chains aren't supposed to be averaged into the total EFN ratings? Is it just... wrong?