Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Love this series ever since I got RCT1 in a box of Lucky Charms. Excited for the Parkitect alpha to release this month and pessimistic for anything Atari will come up with. RCT1 and RCT2 are tied for best for me, RCT1 scenarios are better designed but RCT2 has more stuff to play with. RCT3 is okay but the changes they made to the UI and constructing things just made me frustrated and made me reinstall RCT2 instead. Good to know OpenRCT2 is a thing now.

Also not entirely related but for those that don't know, Prison Architect is a thing from Introversion Software. Scratches that building/management sim itch pretty well. The lead developer, Chris Delay, reminds me a lot of Chris Sawyer, in that they're both british game developers with the first name of Chris, and they have a real intuition for effective game design.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it true that if you have no land path connection between two sections of a park, guests are too dumb to use a transport ride to get there? Like if you had an island that you wanted to force people to take a railroad to. I forget all these weird AI quirks.

Depends on which game but I think RCT1 they will just ride the transportation ride for the fun of it, and get off at a station at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Some of the things people have done with this game are just insane. I can't find it right now, but I remember someone basically recreated the entire Disneyland in RCT2. Looked incredibly impressive, but I'd rather not know how many hours they had to invest for that.

I think that was for RCT1 actually, they recreated the park at different years.

There's also this.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think everyone remembers facing Dinky Park for the first time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

SURPRISE
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollercoaster-tycoon-3/id1008692660?mt=8

Frontier ported RCT3 to IoS with no in app purchases and a new UI

GET IN SON

:eyepop:

Oh how I wish Sawyer still had the RCT rights and could port the originals to anything and everything.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

wow this really is just a 100% straight port other than the UI too

framerate is a little choppy on iPhone 5S, maybe 20ish FPS on the on-coaster camera in the starting scenario? seems playable enough. I have a feeling the UI is a lot more comfortable on an iPhone 6/6+ though

RCT3 had some pretty bad preformance issues that could only get worse when crammed onto a phone chip. It's probably fine until you start making a sizable park.

Someone please port OpenRCT2 to android TIA.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Does OpenRCT2 have all the expansion pack content?

It works off your RCT2 install directory, so whatever you have in there will show up in OpenRCT2.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This guy has an ongoing series where he streams completing an RCT scenario, although he hasn't done one in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUu7v_AAkw

Kinda mundane stream fare, but he knows how to RCT.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was improved in RCT2, there's still edge cases like the stairs example above. In RCT1 double wide paths would make peeps go crazy no matter what.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Only had a few minutes to try out Parkitect, but I'm pretty disappointed with it so far. Peep AI seems worse than RCT1, and the merry-go-round doesn't play any music. Interface is fine and everything is nicely shaded and animated, but I don't think it will be able to scratch the RCT itch in the long run.

vvv Yeah, it's good they didn't release it on steam yet.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They didn't change how the rollercoasters were actually built in RCT3, as in the rules are mostly the same, but they did change the UI for the worse, like everything else in RCT3. It may just come down to which game you played first/more, which ever you're more used to.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Orv posted:

Also please stop calling them peeps, please god.

They've been called that from the start?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest problem was that RCT3 wasn't nearly as optimized as the previous games were, for obvious reasons, resulting in giant parks being pretty laggy.

Also gently caress that UI.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I got the original RCT in a box of cereal, I expect no different for any RCT games. :colbert:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 25, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Went out tonight, seen this:

Was quite perplexed.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Is it actually like a persistent park type thing? I wouldn't mind hopping on a goon park and adding a coaster.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Not seeing it, you may need to forward your port.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I might look into hosting a persistent server once I figure out some hardware/software poo poo.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Also apparently having a ride off the ground adds excitement as well. I learned this from the recent LP series, not sure if it's actually true.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

Now that OpenRCT2 multiplayer is hitting full swing, I'm thinking of designing some multiplayer scenarios. There wouldn't be much point to having a guest goal in multiplayer, since guests would pretty much be coming in at the same rate. So would an ideal MP scenario be something like having a large (Evergreen Gardens or larger) sized map and gunning for a certain park value within a short timeframe like a year or two? Would anyone be interested in testing scenarios like this?

This is a good idea, but it would be a bad idea to let me join because I would just build a bunch of overpowered shuttle launches.

Is Parkitect still the best bet for an RCT successor that will fulfill the business management aspect of the game?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

A completely average streamer is doing a 200 custom rollercoaster park challenge right now: https://www.twitch.tv/zisteau

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah everyone ITT should know this loop by heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tpLgBprqLI

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 21, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah just keep this as the RCT and spiritual successors megathread.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone bothered to make a huge park yet to test Planet Coaster's stability?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not so concerned with performance efficiency but more so the limits of stability. I think people forget that RCT3 would just stop working if your park got too big, which wasn't too difficult to do.

Didn't realize a lot of the simulation just wasn't there yet though, time will tell I guess.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think we hit the sweet spot in just making this the RCT and Successors Megathread. You can add a blurb about Theme Park and other old stuff in the OP but I doubt there'd be much chat about it. Most the chat seems to be about OpenRCT2, Planet Coaster, and Parkitect.

Basically I think we're fine where we are now.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Out of all these new games, Parkitect looks the best to me. Just something I can play on and off and keep in a window while I do other stuff, that's what RCT did for me.

My impressions so far is that Parkitect is the best recreation of the classic games, Planet Coaster is the "next gen" of rollercoaster games, and RCTW is just making GBS threads all over an established franchise's name.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 30, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Firos posted:

Can't pop peeps balloons this is loving bullshit.

Thought you could only do this once they released them?

Poil posted:

Can you at least quack ducks? :(

This is the important question.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My understanding (from what others goons are saying, yet to have time to play this) is that management isn't as prominent in general.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 20, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

1 if you haven't gone through the scenarios yet, otherwise 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Willo567 posted:

What makes the scenarios better in 1 than in 2?

I think it comes down to Chris Sawyer's involvement. 1 was the first game of the series so of course he was much more involved in it, however I heard for 2 he pretty much made some much needed tweaks to the engine then let the team flesh the rest of the game out. This means 1 has the most engaging scenarios, where 2 improved the engine and added more stuff making a more powerful sandbox experience, then a big jump into the 3D world for 3 where it's basically all about the sandbox experience.

Sawyer wasn't just a programming wizard, he really had a knack for game design as well. A combination you don't see much anymore.