Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This is, no joke, my favorite game series of all time, and I hate what Atari has done to it since 3 (which I think was generally underrated) :smith:

One of the few Kickstarters I've ever backed is a neat spiritual successor called Parkitect. It has a nice style, though the camera angle can take some getting used to:

It's supposed to be in alpha/Early Access by August, dunno if they're holding true to that timetable or not. I'm more excited for it than RCT World, regardless :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the most efficient park is also usually the ugliest

which reminds me, no one's posted this classic yet

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, one thing the thread hasn't pointed out is that throwing 4mph brakes before the station will reduce the odds of a crash hitting your park by like 95%

IIRC (going off of memory from a decade ago) there are full brakes failures too, though they are at least less common than station brake failures. I'm pretty sure if you can make your ride come into the station at <20 mph you'll be protected against a crash if the brakes fail, but I'm really uncertain of that.

also one of the many things I do by pure muscle-memory whenever I revisit one of these games is set coaster inspection times to 10 minutes and assign a single mechanic to its exit to get as much life out of a ride as I can

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I like how you can tell what order the coasters were built in by how they were built around things

also lol @ the quadruple ending helix on that wooden coaster, I guess that's one way to end a ride in a tight spot

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

wow this really is just a 100% straight port other than the UI too

framerate is a little choppy on iPhone 5S, maybe 20ish FPS on the on-coaster camera in the starting scenario? seems playable enough. I have a feeling the UI is a lot more comfortable on an iPhone 6/6+ though

e: I can't find a save button, maybe it auto-saves?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

RCT3 iOS version is fun but I get the impression building a custom coaster is going to be hell.

it's way better than laying paths tbh :(

The only issue I have with custom coasters is the tiny tap targets for banking icons, not sure if that's better on iPhone 6.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I've got the hang of paths now, I'm on 6+. Will try building a custom coaster soon and report back.

Do I need to leave a square of space around attractions for mechanics to access them? Having multiple error messages about accessibility.

Mechanics access attractions by going through the entrance in RCT3, IIRC (unlike the exits in RCT 1 and 2). I usually just zone mechanics to cover the entire station and both entrance/exit of a ride, seems to work.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm a bit worried about the Parkitect interface, since it seems to have ignored a lot of the smart decisions RCT3 made. I couldn't deal with the coaster builder UI at all; I'm sure it's not final but they have some fundamental things they need to fix. I also had a lot of trouble angling the camera in a comfortable way, every angle just seemed "off" and I had trouble parsing the relative heights of things.

Also there's some weirdness going on with what track pieces are available. As far as I can tell, their wild mouse only has super-tight (single tile) turns and massive 45 degree ones, nothing in between. I do like the multiple levels of sloping, though, and being able to bank my turns to the outside (though their banking slider interface is, again, really unpleasant at the moment).

Protip: like RCT3, you can get a ghost preview of your ride while constructing it. You have to build an entrance/exit, put it in test mode, then go into construct mode. Unlike RCT3, you can't test while paused.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I might be able to run a dedicated server, depending on the system requirements. My VPS only has a gig of memory, but I figure that's probably enough to handle Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the best thing that could happen to RCT at this point would be for RCTW to bomb so loving hard that Atari gives up on the license and sells it to Night Dive or a similar remake studio for a pittance, and they do a re-release of 1+2 powered by OpenRCT and maybe a new expansion or two like how Age of Empires II got an expansion out of nowhere this year

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

From PYF Schadenfreude:

peep physics is one of several reasons why RCT3 is so much better than people give it credit for

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

does the Linux server require a graphical environment to run, or is it headless? I have a Digital Ocean box I could try throwing up a server on I guess. used to run a Shootmania server and a TF2 server back in the day and I'd like to hope OpenRCT2 doesn't have higher requirements than those :v:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Holy gently caress the Planet Coaster builder :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYufgvcRis

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

for Frontier I imagine it came from the pricing structure for Elite: Dangerous, which was originally a Kickstarter. It's normal for higher-tiers in Kickstarters to offer alpha/beta access (Parkitect did this too) but it is strange when you take it out of that context (which is when Elite launched in Early Access on Steam there were people going "why the hell is this thing $100")

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

Someone gifted me Parkitect, but I also got the pre-alpha. I'm a dummy and activated it on Steam using the gift already. Would I be able to give away my Steam key from the pre-alpha?

if you haven't redeemed it on Steam, yeah, nothing ties that to your Steam account until it's redeemed so you can give it to whoever

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

3:45 in this video is the most blown away i have ever been by a video game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So, I hadn't looked at all into the building tools for Planet Coaster outside of the landscaping stuff, and this time-lapse creation of that E3 park blew my loving mind like 5 different times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACFqJRdoAw

You can click and drag coaster segments to tweak them :psyboom:

I might end up buying this game in early access. I've enjoyed dabbling in Parkitect, and I'm really looking forward to when they start building out the non-sandbox gameplay, but Planet Coaster seems like the kind of sandbox I could spend a lot of time. Will probably try to finish a park or two in Parkitect before dropping $70, though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tbf RCT3 ran like poo poo with mid to large parks, especially on the computers of the time, and Parkitect runs at 60fps on my Macbook on a near-empty sandbox which is actually really hard to do with Unity. Large parks don't work great but are viewable at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I mean if you were to care this much about creating realistic roller coasters, I would actually totally expect you to have knowledge of the general height expectations of types of coasters, or the effort to Google it. In fact, the knowledge required in making realistic coasters is way more complicated than they could actually codify in gameplay systems without limiting players, whether that's height restrictions, the number of inversions you'd probably put in a ride, etc.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 16, 2016