Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

When I first played Rollercoaster Tycoon I was 15 and listening to homophobic Eminem songs, so I made a whole "gay park" with just pink terrain, baby blue rides playing cheerful music (and a few fast, black rollercoasters playing rock music thrown in, as "dominant" elements so to speak). I remember there was a pond with swans in all colors of the rainbow and I had sculpted a human rear end into the hills with one of those freefall launch towers emerging from where the anus would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best scenario in RCT1 was the one where you have to fix up an old broken park with an incomplete rollercoaster and garbage everywhere. The easiest way was to just demolish and sell everything and start over but I liked to restore the park to what it must've looked like before, finishing the rollercoaster, giving it a new coat of paint, mowing all the lawns etc.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alabaster White posted:

My secret gaming shame is that I never build my own coasters in RCT :( Apart from the classic "Shuttle to Hell" launch ramp coasters, I've never figured out how to make a coaster that doesn't break the bank, and isn't too intense.

Just toggle show heights on tracks on in the settings, build a lift hill to whatever non-ridiculous height, and then create a bunch of subsequent hills of decreasing height by small increments. Put anything but the widest curves at the top of hills rather than at the bottom.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the look of simple parks in RCT with ordinary scenery. I never cared much for the time twiter stuff and all that excessive crap. Just a nice ghost house with a ferris wheel, merry go round with silly music and a ladybug coaster has that look of a rural British amusement park. I like the graphics of Transport Tycoon for the same reason, all very Postman Pat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't like RCT2 as much for this reason. I appreciated the little tweaks and additional rides, but then there's like three dozen different coasters that as far as I can tell are identical except for the kind of car, and the scenarios weren't as fun for me. Whenever I replay RCT I always go back to 1 over 2. Especially now since that's the one I bought on Steam. :v:

Yeah I still enjoyed the basic scenery stuff, like it's fun to build a jungle with a huge water slide, but some of that other poo poo basically has nothing to do with rollercoasters.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Do any of you know how scenery affects ride ratings? I know that if you put scenery near a ride, it improves its stats, but I can't find any details anywhere. Like, how close should it be, should it all be from the same theme, does the value of the items matter, and so on..

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I keep trying to find a good sandbox scenario for RCT2. It has a scenario editor, but it's a huge pain in the rear end because unlike the first game there's no tool to create natural looking hills, and I don't want just a featureless landscape. I want a scenario that just consists of normal hills and some water features, with loads of different stuff and themes to unlock (especially the basic ones, like roman, jungle etc, rather than time twister/wacky worlds). Preferably not with unlimited money, just normal starting conditions. Basically, I want Forest Frontiers but with a much deeper research tree and more land.

RCT2 was weak because it had lots of cool stuff you could do but most of the scenarios had you deal with some kind of limiting gimmick, or had lots of prebuilt stuff whereas I want to build everything myself.

There's a few sandbox style scenarios floating around but most of them gently caress up in one way or another. Most of them have really shallow tech trees, or gently caress up the terrain in some way. I haven't found a single one which does it right yet.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can never resist the temptation to make my entrance into a fancy decorated path circling an info kiosk.

Guests tend to get stuck if you make more than one interconnecting loop of path. Like, whenever I made a figure 8-shaped path, guests would clog it up and get pissed off.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sitchelin posted:

I do something similar in RCT3. I'll build two pools on opposite sides of a sidewalk, or on opposite sides of a smaller ride and then build a water slide strong enough to ramp guests over the gap and safely into the other pool. It's rad as hell.

The landing pool is 1x1, surrounded by fire.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sitchelin posted:

I'm one of the few who liked RCT3 better than 1 & 2. I can actually ride the coasters, that sold me.

I liked it for that, and because at night it gets all colorful with little lights and reflecting pools and whatnot. They just made it a bit too cartoony so it looks kind of bad during the day whereas the first games had more of an atmosphere of a real park (this is why I didn't like the later expansions to 2, they already were too exotic), and tunnels don't work as well as they ought to. It also just didn't feel precise enough. In the first two games I could cram a park full of rides because it was possible to be clever and efficient about using space, making rides intersect and use the terrain.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What I liked about 3 were the lights and the way everything looked, all bright colors and Kenny G music. I once made a sandbox park that looked like the surface of Iapetus using the snow and black rock terrains. The water reflections were good too.

2 is the worst in the series because of all the superfluous coasters, poor sandbox tools, no unlock progression and the way every scenario forced you into a single theme for every park.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I poo poo my pants on any rollercoaster taller than the ones at Disneyland but I love building them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Section Z posted:

So I decided to try and finally get into RCT3 Plat, but for some reason now it just crashes on launch despite working in the past. Both my GOG copy and STEAM copy. Even after fresh installs, verifies, etc.

Windows 7. I have had a video card brand change since the last time I tried to turn RCT3 on, but I have no idea if that'd be a factor or not (was an AMD, is now an Nvidia). No other notable changes I can think of aside from that, and I've got the old drivers removed.

Latest uninstall, reinstall of the Steam version is still a no go. Currently the GOG version is uninstalled in case it was a case of two copies of the game conflicting.

I tried the whole "Set options file to FirstRun 0" thing for the install folder. I tried digging up the options file in the appdata\roaming\atari and typing in my native resolution (even though I was hoping to play windowed mode).

It just crashes on start. What stupid idiot obvious thing am I missing?

I think I had something like that some years ago. I think it was because of some lingering registry entry from a previous installation. Run ccleaner's registry cleanup maybe.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's weird to me that I was ever willing to pay as much as 50 euros for a game. 15 is pretty much my limit now, and that's only for the ones I really want.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The themes I enjoyed most in the old RCT games were just the basic old themepark ones. Topiary animals, nice looking fences, flower beds and so on. I don't need all the themes that were in RCT2's expansions, for example.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Out of all these new games, Parkitect looks the best to me. Just something I can play on and off and keep in a window while I do other stuff, that's what RCT did for me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can never build a compact coaster and always need to have them wind through other parts of the park / in and out of tunnels like a fancy model railway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Just make sure the final stretch to the station is uphill or a chain lift and bleeds off the final bit of speed, just extend the track into various twists until you get that part right and you won't get the crashes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This whole new line of VR stuff by Valve and Facebook is going to flop so hard.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Roadie posted:

I'm a bit surprised interest in Parkitect is so low. Is everybody too drawn by the siren song of curved paths and non-identical people in Planet Coaster?

I'm more interested in Parkitect. I want a simple game, 3D and crazy landscaping adds nothing for me.

I really like how Parkitect looks kind of like a diorama or something. I also prefer working on a grid.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's it like?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I remember path height was bad in RCT3 too. Terrain was at variable heights and paths could be on the terrain and connect just fine that way. But once you get paths up in the air you only had a few angles at which you could work so things often wouldn't line up properly. Hard to explain. I imagine introducing curving paths just makes that worse.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You could get the maximum "decorations" bonus for a ride in RCT1 by just building a bunch of 1/4 tile barrels next to it too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxeGqAh8cZQ

>wads all my parks up and throws them in the trash :negative:

Should be called Unreal Tournament 2004: The Ride.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The lift hill is the scariest part of any actual real life coaster.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why do you say that?

Being slowly carried upwards to the highest point in the rollercoaster, anticipation for the drop, the sound itself. Everything after that is just relief if you're like me and you don't give a gently caress about inversions or speed but are afraid of heights.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Moving fast is less stressful, because there's a lot of forward motion so even if you're diving 200 feet at the ground you're going somewhere that's according to plan, things are happening too fast to really think about it, and plus the rails have already been tested -- you're riding on the track, everything's going fine, the ride is on now. The hill, on the other hand? You just go up... and up... and up... and it's slow, and it shakes, and you've got nothing but time to think about what happens if the chain breaks and you have to sit there or take the loving steps down or what, all while your lizard brain is screaming at you that you're much too high up, you're going to die, idiot it's not safe, get down get down get down.

I've ridden Kingda Ka -- the actual tallest roller coaster in the world -- multiple times, and it's not so bad. It's an induction coaster so the experience is you sit there looking at the track, then boom, and you're halfway down again before "I'm very high up" has had time to register, and by the time your brain's finished putting "should I be scared about this?" through committee, you're back on the ground and the train is slowing down, so there's nothing to be scared of. I've also ridden Zumanjaro, which is literally built into the hill of Kingda Ka, and they just pick you up with a winch and then drop you. Zumanjaro is terrifying. Exact same hill, nearly the exact same drop, but Zumanjaro gives you all that lovely time to realize just how high up you are and oh my God they're still lifting you up, people aren't supposed to be here. Same principle.

I saw a video of Kingda Ka and the scariest thing there to me would be just sitting in the train in the station. Like you said it goes up too fast to really register how high you are, and once you're at the top, the drop down is just relief because it means you're going closer to the ground again. loving sitting still and looking at the hill before the launch would be nerveracking though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The RCT1 scenarios were great, RCT2 went overboard with themes and wonky terrain. I think my favorite scenario in any of the games was the one where you fix up an old moldy park with a broken rollercoaster and poo poo everywhere. It was cool trying to rebuild the park exactly the way it must have looked like.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KillaZilla posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet either way it's still awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iHTQR-xOk

Yeah this is why I never ended up buying this game. It's like stepping into an MMO where everybody is already level 110. Everything's been done and I can't keep up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I still think RCT1/2 (same game really) is the best rollercoaster game. There's something about the way isometrics and a grid limit your creativity that makes it more appealing to me, you have to work with limited tools to make something that looks cool to which Planet Coaster just seems garishly flamboyant with its windy paths and infinite scenery options that would just trigger my OCD. I feel the same way about Cities Skylines as compared to the older Simcity games.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I guess I just want a finite goal, not an infinite one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doh004 posted:

I think it's time for me to give up on Planet Coaster. I've had it since pre-launch, and time and time again I try to get into it but I just can't find myself putting in that much effort to get things to look good. I know I'm not gonna get things to look like some of these videos, but for some reason I cannot dedicate the time to even make it serviceable :\.

Anyone else feel like this? I really, really, want to like the game and keep playing it, but it's just too much.

Play RCT2. It's the best.

I also don't care for hyperrealistic recreations of real life dark rides and obsessive scenery sculpting. I just want to make something that looks like a cute anthill from above. RCT2 is still the best game for that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm not qualified to play this game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

He comes off as undeservedly smug and I hope this will make them negative money.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What the gently caress? Why not just make it $800 investment and get the game for free, that would be effectively the same thing income-wise but vastly more appealing

Also I bet top dollar those 39 investors are Atari execs chipping in to "get the ball rolling"

(and they probably claimed it back on expenses)

It's probably like 20 old people going "well i'll be damned, this looks like a sound investment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Welp Jurassic World Evolution has now become a must buy for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6sCpfVQCbc

He didn't say like "It gets... uhh... 10 Goldblums out of a possible, uhhh, 10.... Goldblums" like he should have in order to make me buy the game