Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Alright then. Here we go! Recruit/OOC thread here.

I suppose you guys should probably include your character sheet in your first post, and do the sorts of formatting and such that usually happens in TG.

he Forgotten Shrine that Carmine had mentioned in your dreams was easy enough to find. In spite of many of you actually having been life-long residents of the castle town, the small grown-in area in the shadow of Ladutorm's spires was a place none of you had ever visited before. In fact, based on it's condition, it was a place no one ever visited. Carmine, the one who told you to come to this place, wasn't even here yet!

I figured I'd give you guys a chance to have your characters meet and react to one another before Carmine appears, answers some questions, sends you on your merry way, and we get down to the mechanical nitty-gritty of actually going places! (Also, a thunderstorm is rolling in and I really need to get this post done before my power gets wiped out.)

bahamut fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

Liza holds her breath when she enters into the shrine, her hammer hanging loosely by her side. "Well, I'll be..." With careful steps (making sure not to trample anything important-looking) she paces towards the center of the shrine. After a few tense moments she lets out a sigh of relief. Looks like she isn't late, at least.

A small, appreciative smile crosses her face when she notices just how lush the greenery in the shrine has grown. But her thoughts are interrupted by the sight of another shadow and the faint sound of footsteps on grass. She hurriedly dabs the soot off her forehead with a rag she plucks from her apron, then turns to greet the new arrivals. "Oh, hello! I'm Liza. Liza Lee. What's your name?"

pre:
Name: Liza Lee
Image Color: Mahogany

Class: Artisan
Type: Magic

HP: 16/16
MP: 16/16
CC: 11

Abilities:
STR: 8
SPI: 6
DEX: 6
INT: 4

Mastered Weapon: Hammers (refluffed Axe)

Gear:
Forge Hammer
Basic Traveler's Set
Cute Lantern

Skills:
Trapping [DEX + INT]
Crafting (Tools) [STR + DEX]
Repair [STR + DEX]

Will: +4 MP
Spellbook: (Acquire 2 Incantation Spells per level)
Seasonal Sorcerer: Acquire Seasonal Magic

Spells:
Enhanced Red Hand
Animal Tamer

Briar Nonno
Vacation Vitality
Min-min Cicada Chorus
Koro-pok-kuru Cute Leaf

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Halvar Colburn

It had been a pleasant surprise for Halvar, what with his father being unexpectedly amiable about giving him a free day. So off he went, the apprentice smith making his way to the rear of Chateau Ladutorm with a childlike smile on his face as he pushed past the undergrowth that surrounded his destination. Strange dream or not, getting to explore someplace new was pretty fun!

Eyes lighting up as he finally catches sight of the shrine and enters the clearing, Halvar jerks away in response when Liza introduces herself. "Halvar Colburn," the young man instinctively replies with a small polite bow. His smile fades away afterwards, and Halvar begins nervously tapping his gloved fingers together. "S-sorry. I wasn't expecting anyone else to be here." His hands still fidgeting, the apprentice turns away to look at the forgotten shrine. "Did...did you have a dream about this place too?" Halvar asks in an embarrassed mumble.

pre:
Name: Halvar Colburn
Level: 1
EXP: 0

Class: Artisan
Type: Attack
Image Color: Blue

Stats (Standard Set)
STR: 8
INT: 6
SPI: 4

HP: 20/20
MP: 8/8
CC: 11

Mastered Weapon: Axe, Blade

Skills:
Trapping [DEX + INT]
Crafting (Armor) [STR + DEX]
Repair [STR + DEX]

Toughness: Max HP +4
Power: +1 bonus to damage rolls during combat
Weapon Focus: 1 more Mastered Weapon

Gear: [5/11]
Shortsword (Blade)
Medicinal Herb
Torch
Waterskin
Backpack [5/5]
-Sleeping bag
-Wooden utensils
-Firestarter set
-(2) Rations

Daraken fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 13, 2015

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

The sun was shinning. What a lovely day. Frimelda was used to explore around the lands near the chateau but she had always heard that one lifetime was not enough to discover all of the secrets and this one of its most beautiful ones. She saw a pair already talking. "I apologize I'm late" she said as she aproached the pair. Her step betraying her training both heavy and firm. Her smile on the other hand was soft and inviting. She moved a hand trough her long hair to try to get any loose leave away from it as the wind blew making it seem as it was tossed back like a flamming red banner

pre:
Name: Frimelda Brokenshield
Level: 1
EXP: 0

Class: Noble
Image Color: Red

Stats (Standard Set)
STR: 6
INT: 6
SPI: 6

HP: 16/16
MP: 12/12
CC: 9

Mastered Weapon: Blade+1, Bow

Skills:
Etiquette (Dex + Int) contested
Trivia (Int + Int) GM discretion
Weapon Grace: Blade (+1 accuracy)	
Toughness: 16
Power: +1 bonus damage in combat
Weapon focus: Gain 1 more mastered weapon (Bow)

Gear:
Basic Traveler's Set (Backpack, sleeping bag, wooden utensils, water pouch, rations)

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

"Looks like all three of us did. Nice to meet y'all! And I only just got here myself, there is no need to apologize." Liza had braced herself for a mystical voice or a magical onrush of wind, but by now she's put a hand on her neck with an expression of mild confusion.

"Well now, this should be the place from the dream. But I don't see that fairy anywhere. Maybe there's some riddle to what she said..."

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

"The fair folk are unique in their dealings" Frimelda stated a sshe started walking around the area "Keep an eye open for anything that seems off" she said as she was walking finding a warm spot were the sun would het and she stood there. She closed her eyes raising her face to the heavens and breathing deeply trying to get a sense of the feel of the area

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yinus

You know what doesn't seem off? The huge fellow holding a bush in front of his face and standing stock still. Definitely not bizarre.

pre:
Yinus
Class: Farmer

STR	8
DEX	6
INT	4
SPI	6

HP: 20/20
MP: 12/12

Carry cap: 14

Abilities
	Robust
		+1 to Condition checks, +3 Carry cap
	One Step at a Time
		Do more steps
	Side-job: Knowledge of Tradition
		[INT + INT]-1 to know stuff good

M. Weapons
	Axe [STR + STR], damage [STR], 2 handed, cap 3
	Unarmed [DEX + STR], damage [STR]-1

Personal Item
	Small, bent piece of metal

Equipment
	Axe cap 3

Backpack Cap 3, can hold 5
	Sleeping Bag Cap 1
	Wooden Utensils cap 1
	Water Skin cap 1
	Rations x2 cap 1 each

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

She looked at the man her eyes locking into his possition "Come in" she said with a voice of someone used to giving orders to others

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

"Who are you talking to? Why, there's no one there at all." Her voice is that one you reserve for pets and small children. Liza unsubtly tugs at Frimelda's arm-guard and directs her towards the shrine. "Come on, I think I've found some, uh, enchanted language carvings you should look at-let him come in when he's comfortable. Please?.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook

Huffing and puffing while carrying a pack that is... vintage to say the least and would probably fit a taller man better, Marcus stomps his way into the center of the shrine past Yinus, before shucking the pack off and putting his hands on his knees. "Hope.. I didn't fall too far behind." He takes one more deep breath before straightening up. "Well, will you look at this. S'like a garden tucked under your stairs." He chuckles and tips his broad hat as his breath comes right back to him. "Miss, er, Miss's, young man, nice to meet you. The name's Marcus, and I..." He squints at the fact that everyone seems to be looking past him and above his head. "What're you lookin' at?"

pre:
Class: Healer
Type: Magic

Skills:
Healing
First Aid
Herb Gathering

Strength d6
Dexterity d4
Intelligence d6
Spirit d8

HP 12
MP 20
Carrying Capacity 9
Mastered Weapon: Cypress Stick (Staff)

Abilities (Standard Set)
Strength d6
Dexterity d4
Intelligence d6
Spirit d8

Spells Known
Invocation Magic
Heal (Cure Touch)
Upper (Round Reflection ) [Ritual]

Seasonal Magic 
Winter Magic
Crack (Candy Ice Cube)
Tingle (Cool Masquerade)
Crackle (Snowball Storm)
Snooze (Winter Sleep)

Mad Fnorder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 27, 2015

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Carmine

From her hiding place, Carmine seems content to let things unfold just the tiniest bit more before revealing herself and impressing upon these five the gravity of the situation and details of the undertaking before them. Yinus, the giant man pretending to be a shrub had shown up hours before any of the others. Motionless holding that branch all this time. It was impressive, truly! But at the same time, it had taken a tremendous amount of willpower not to burst into laughter. Now that the others had arrived, Yinus' disguise was once again threatening to have her in stitches!

Totally waiting on a Yinus response before moving on! Also, added the screencap which I should have done in the first place.

bahamut fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 27, 2015

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

Frimelda looked at Lizza and nodded understanding her words "Oh inscriptions?" she asked smiling at her "Sure let me see them" she said as Michael arrived and she turned her attention to the newcomer giving half step towards him to try to help him with his load before he started his introduction

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It's even more beautiful than what I was picturing.

Yinus

Yinus sets his greenery down and steps into the clearing.

"Ho ho, old man! It was I they were looking at - Yinus, the master thief! The only man so stealthy it's noticable!"

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Halvar Colburn

A bit shocked at the number of people showing up, Halvar's nervousness turns to amusement as the hulking man introduces himself. Stifling his laughter with a cough, the young man then takes a slow look around the clearing.

"Ah, is this all of us then?" he asks before taking a large breath and letting it out. "Well, let me reintroduce myself then. I'm Halvar Colburn, an apprentice smith from the Laughing Wolf Forge here in Chateau Ladutorm. And urm, we're all here because we had the same dream right? With the fairy and the thing about saving the world?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yinus

"Dream?" The hulking brute blinks a few times. "The fairy Carmine appeared to me while I was tilling...uh."

The wheels turn for a little bit.

"Stilling. Stealing things."

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook

Marcus shifts the grip on his walking stick and whirls around, ready to give some potential Ne'er do well what for, what with the morals of the youth these days. "Now, you see here-"

And then his vision travels up the bush to where Yinus looms above the tip of the branch and all the momentum just deflates as he realizes he has to admit being fooled by the least credible tree he's ever walked past, animate or otherwise, "A... right. Words about descendants and a job to do." He pivots back around and sidles out of the way. "Halvar, is it? You just walked off the job? That takes a lot of gumption- Laughing Wolf ain't no slouch."

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

She looked at the treeman coming out and then at Lizza before sighing and nodding "Your skills in camouflage are quite impressive I can't wait to see... Or not see what you will achieve in the future" she said nodding.

She looked at the group "I'm Frimelda of the house of Lotti" she introduced herself making a small bow her necklace with the brokenshield piece hanging from it coming into view "And I've seen the crafts of the laughing wolf... There is a real quality in them"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Carmine

The fairy supposed she had waited long enough. It was funny, though. The prospect of meeting actual people in person filled her with a curious sense of anxiety, markedly different from when she had come to them in their dreams. Drawing in a deep breath, she steeled for the task immediately at hand. Willing herself visible, she fluttered out from underneath the overgrown fauna to meet her would-be heroes.

"Thank you all for coming," the winged girl says, smiling warmly, "my name is Carmine, and I have ever served the greater spirit Rubiss who has always strived to look after this world."

After a brief pause, she gets right down to business, "I'm not exactly sure how familiar you all are with the past, but ages ago there were lands that rested beyond the borders of Alefgard. Torland, this place was called, and it came into being through the power of light enshrined by the descendants of the storied Erdrick as they ventured out into the wider world."

"But the Archfiend Sardain, whose origins I must profess I do not actually know, is seemingly capable of consuming the light and devouring all the lands therein," Carmine says, sounding grave, "my master had tried to fight him, but as the embodiment of light, he was incapable of being harmed by her. "I know not where Rubiss is now. Imprisoned, I suspect, though I know not where. If she had been slain, I do not think I would be talking with you all here now."

"But even before he started consuming the world, the influence of Sardain could be felt," the fairy continues, "causing monsters and other threats to draw the eyes of the nations inward. Thus was the wider Torland so easily vanished while Alefgard was caught up in it's own concerns and affairs."

"Now, all that remains is Alefgard. The last bastion of the light against the wicked march of Sardain and his consuming darkness. I believe part of what has helped Alefgard to resist the Archfiend's influence are the Five Seals of Rubiss, but I think that if we are also to press back against his onslaught we will require these seals," Carmine actually manages to sound rather sure of herself on this point, "it is a dangerous gamble, to be certain. But if nothing is done, it is only a matter of time before Sardain's power erodes their protection.

Laying it all out like that, Carmine herself thought it sounded rather grim. A longshot certainly! But it was in her nature to be an optimist, and with a faint smile and a tired sigh she concluded, "you've come this far. Now, knowing what you face, will you join me in this fight against the darkness?"

bahamut fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 29, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yinus

"Oh, yah. That sounds pretty good. 'sides, we're all here, right?"

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

"Indeed" she said "If the world is calling for us to come to its aid then I shall not stay in place to wait for the darkness to come to us" she said nodding and smiling with excitement "Count me in" she said putting a closed fist to the center of the congregated people

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Halvar Colburn

In response to Marcus, Halvar hunches down and coughs lightly. "Ah, father gave me the day off. It'd be irresponsible of me to just leave, fairy dream or not!" Then straightening up at Frimelda words, the young smith puffs out his chest and gives a warm smile. "Yes, we take pride in our work at the Laughing Wolf. Father is a real master!"

The conversation dies down when Carmine makes her appearance, and Halvar's eyes grow large at seeing the fairy. Fascination then turns into worry as he listens to her story, and a nervous hand begins rubbing over the pocket where Halvar kept his old map. Everything outside of Alefgard was...gone? Those places he had dreamed about and hoped to see one day, all consumed by the Archfiend? And his home would be the next go? No!

"I don't know if I'm really the right person for this," Halvar says hesitatingly at first. "I'm just a smith's son. But if you're all willing to join, then so will I." With fierce eyes and a determined look on his face, Halvar's fist meets Frimelda's.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

Liza can barely contain her excitement at finally meeting the fairy. She hangs onto every word of the story, and by the end she gives Carmine a gentle, reassuring smile.

"Don't worry about a thing. We're going to stop this evil Sardine together, or my name's not Liza Lee!" She slings her hammer jauntily over her shoulder before adding her own fist to the group.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook

Marcus smiles beneath his beard. "Well, it's good to see you all fired up. It's almost enough for me to feel all right in sitting back and leaving it to ya. That is, almost. "

He stands up straight for the first time, barely leaning on his stick, "It's the elder's responsibility to look after the young ones. I'm up for once more round the world! To be honest, you couldn't keep me out if'n you wanted. " He moves as if he's going to tap the collected hands of the heroes with the cane, and then thinks better of it and adds his gnarled fist to the pile.

Sorry about the delay!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Carmine

A diverse crew. Carmine was left to wonder why their stars shone brightest on the night of the choosing, but she couldn't begrudge anyone either their levity or their doubt in light of the situation. She had to admit, 'Sardine' was pretty funny. But, back to the matter at hand:

"I'm sorry I don't have more to offer," Carmine says as she digs out a small jingling coin purse and sounding apologetic, "but the economy of mankind is really kinda weird, and sure to only make trouble for themselves in the future, but--"

The fairy pauses for a moment, looking a little sheepish before running her hand through her hair, "but, uh, never mind about that. The point is, I've got 97 Gold for you! Sorry I couldn't round up more."

"You should venture back into town and buy anything you think you might require for your journey," Carmine suggests, "while doing that, it might be best to decide which among you will be the head of your expedition for now. You should probably head towards Garinham, to the northwest. In the four days between contacting you and meeting you here, I discovered the closest seal might be near there somewhere."

"I would accompany you, I mean I'd love nothing more than to do some real hands-on adventuring," Carmine flutters her wings excitedly, balling up her fists before immediately adopting a more disappointing expression, "but I've commissioned the creation of a Fairy Flute to aid us in our quest for the Five Seals. If fortune smiles upon me, I'll be back from the Fairy Village in good enough time to meet you there!"

I worked so hard placing sprites only to have them all hidden by menu windows! Most importantly though, since we're using the Picnic Rules (albeit somewhat adjusted) all items have a capacity of 1, regardless of what they are. So a Medical Herb takes up just as much inventory space as a pair of Giant Shears. Doesn't exactly make sense, but, well... RPG logic!

Explanation Slime ...on Leadership Choice!

Like a few other things so far, in Dragon Quest, the role of Leader differs slightly from how it's featured in the Ryuutama book:

- A leader is the only role that needs to be chosen. (Since mapper is kind of rolled into it, quartermaster is unneeded with picnic rules, and, well, we're collectively journal-writing in our own way.)
- A leader needs to be selected largely for determining the route the party takes on their overworld journeys. This is not the case inside caves/towers/etc. which will be handled in a more narrative fashion.
- There's no need to make direction checks. If you want to head north, you can head north.

Explanation Slime ...on Navigating the Overworld!

I've divvied up the land of Alefgard into an absolutely horrifying 4098 squares. Each square actually translates into four video game tile thingies. Travel works thusly:

After each party member makes their Condition Check for that day, the total number of successful checks will determine how many squares the party leader can move the group on the overworld during that day. If everyone rolls successful Condition Check, then that means the group will be able to move 5 squares. If only three are successful, only 3 squares get covered. (If Yinus is the leader, he also gets a straight up +1 square move bonus because of his class!)

Each party member must also make a Travel Check, don't worry about a target number, just tell me your result. This will collectively influence the type of result that occurs at the end of the party's movement. We're all in this together, after all! It could be a monster encounter, the discovery of some exciting landmark, meeting crazy people/other adventurers, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Water and mountains are flat-out impassible without some sort of special form of transportation.
Difficult terrain types (hills, forests, swamp, desert, and snow) have their own special dangers, but do not reduce the party's movement.
Grasslands and plains are straight-up the safest things to travel on.

Some pre-defined locations will appear on the map, mostly major population centers, established landmarks, etc. But in your journeys, other, hidden places may be uncovered! Forgotten ruins, new caves, hidden fairy villages, etc.

If any part of a landmark, such as a castle or cave is inside one of those squares, the party is able to reach/access it that day, even if the greater part of that landmark (such as an obvious-looking entrance) rests inside a different square.

Carmine only has to move one square to the south of her to reach Ladutorm, not two!

Carmine

"You need to select a leader!"

"Everyone needs to make a Condition Check! Orokos is our friend!"

"Everyone also needs to make a Travel Check Roll! Don't worry about a target number, just post your result!"

"The party's current position is G-7! Once everyone has rolled, the party leader can feel free to tell me their destination coordinates, or they can draw on the map and re-post it."

Sorry about taking a while! Sudden and semi-unexpected trip into the northerly wilderness. Should be free and good for a long while now!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yinus

"Yer a smart one, little fairy."

I can lead, I can not. No big stake in things.

Condition check: 7.
Travel check: 13.

Apparently Yinus is in a hurry to get wherever we end up going.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

"Everyone make sure you've got everything ready" she stated to the group "Those with families make sure to say goodbye to them and we will meet at the south gate we will decide our path from there" she said seeing the gold "97G is not that much but it could be the start of something good for us in the long run" she said nodding

I'm throwing in my hat for leadership too my argument being my color is red and the red ranger is the leader

Condition STR+SPI: 2d6 7
Travel: 2d6 7

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook

By the gate, Marcus stretches out his back until a large *pop* can be heard from the gathered party. "We're not going nowhere until I'm sure we're prepared, and I don't mean dinner. At the very least some herbs in case someone gets bit by something nasty. I've never used a Wyvern Wing but I know people who swear by 'em. Think we can spare the funds for at least one of each?"

"As for direction, I'm thinking West. Let's start with the grasslands rather than getting lost in the forest."

Condition check the First: 1d6+1d8 7
Travel Check the First: 1d4+1d6 7

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Halvar Colburn

Huffing slightly with a full pack on his shoulders, Halvar jogs up to the gate where the others are waiting. "I'm not," Halvar says before pausing to take a deep breath. "Late am I?"

Sneaking back home had been easy, what with his whole family out busy taking care of their own duties. Halvar had been quick to gather up the supplies and gear he'd need to travel, though the letter meant for his parents had proved to be much more of an obstacle. There just didn't seem to be the right words to explain, and Halvar instead ending up filling up the whole page with rambling apologies, talk about seeing the rest of the world and how he might have been recruited to save them all from an Archfiend.

At the older man, Halvar gives a wide smile. "You've traveled a lot, right Marcus? Your advice definitely sounds like a good idea.."

Condition Check [STR+SPI]: 7
Travel Check [STR+DEX]: 7

Lots of 7s here!

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

Brimming with energy as she waits by the gate, Liza jogs in place for a bit to get a feel for her pack. Clutched in her hand is a Best Of Alefgard Shopping List assembled by her fellow guild members. Most of them didn't take her breathless speech about Archfiends very seriously. But the usually stone-faced Guildmaster simply nodded and blessed her on her way.

"A Wing of Wyvern don't sound like a bad idea. Those things are made tough. Our last Guildmistress once hauled two dozen slimes back to the shop with her after she used one! Well, I guess it was kind of a disaster and she is our last Guildmistress for a whole mess of reasons...I still think it was pretty amazing."

"Um, anyway, West does sounds like the best route 'til we get past the woods."

I'm OK with whoever ends up being leader.

Condition Check: 1d8+1d6 10
Travel Check: 1d8+1d6 5

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

It's easy to say goodbye to one's family... Specially when you decide to avoid them and not tell them anything about where you're going. Frimelda knew that as long as she acted as if she was supposed to be doing what she is doing most people would not bat an eye until it was too late. She walked to her room grabbing her trusty sword. An ugly old thing that had been with her since she graduated from the wooden blades in training. She swung it twice in the air to make sure her arm was ready before heading to the southgate

"West seems to be the consensus. We will have more of a day if we travel in that direction too" she said nodding "And I would not mind some herbal teas to use in cases of poison. If we have enough for them we should buy them"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Using some of the gold Carmine provided, the group purchases two Medical Herbs, an Antidote, and a Wing of the Wyvern. By virtue of almost everyone more or less heeding Marcus' advice, it seems that he has the dubious honor of being the leader!

Each of these items has a Capacity of 1, you guys should divvy them up amongst yourselves however you wish.

Not long afterwards, they exit to the overworld!

Marcus controls the direction the party moves!

He can move the group 5 Squares!

Use however you'd like best to express how you're moving the group Fnorder, drawing a line in paint and reposting the map, just providing end-coordinates, or expressly defining the coordinates for each square you travel to/through, etc.)

bahamut fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 13, 2015

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook

Marcus comes back from shopping with a few bundles of potent-smelling leaves, two greenish, one significantly more wilted-looking. Juggling things around to hand them out, a wrapped brown paper package comes out from the bottle of the pile. "Everyone grab something- I'll take care of brewing things up if we've got time, but it's good to have them spread about. Don't worry about the smell! That means they're going to fresh for a while. "

Marcus takes two steps out of the gate and turns around to face the group. "Now, listen here. I've never been on a proper quest in all my years, but I have done a bit of walking about. To that end, I've got three pieces of advice. One, you see something weird, say something about it- might be nothing, sure, but if it ain't you're the one we'll be cross with when we're up a tree hiding from Drackies. Two, you got a problem with something small, mention it before it gets big- no leaving people behind because they snore or something! And third..." He lifts his hat up and grins. "Enjoy yourselves. Sure we got a lot to do, but I promise at the end these'll be memories you treasure- that I know for sure."

With a firm about-face, he begins tromping forward. "Right, due west!"

Well, the first move is simple enough. Due west to G2, keeping an eye on the forest to the north and the prarie to the south for anything exciting. Let's get our legs under us and the road ahead of us!

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

"Haha, let's go!" Liza strides merrily out of the gate, off the castle road and into adventure! Her wide-eyed gaze lingers on the horizon above the northwestern woods. Sometimes rocks and branches bump up against her boots, but she's far too eager to mind.

Liza can carry the Wing of Wyvern.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

The decision to stick to the grasslands west of Ladutorm rewards the group with a pleasant day devoid of trouble or incident, however as the sun nears the horizon towards the end of the day you collectively note the presence of some darker clouds in the distance. Fortunately, the gentle wind suggests it's pushing the storm away from you rather than towards. As the sun disappears, more and more stars begin to dot the evening sky.

It hasn't been a terribly taxing journey, thus you find yourselves faced with a decision: set up camp for the night, or press onwards underneath the starlit sky.

I was away longer than I anticipated. An ominious portent that I hope to not continue. Sorry about that, everyone. I was kinda hoping to come back and inflict an exciting encounter on you all, but it wasn't meant to be. That said, you've got some decisions to make:

1) If you guys set up camp, someone will have to make a camping roll, and someone else can choose to help them.

2) Or, if you elect to press onwards, everyone will have to make another Travel check, but Marcus will be able to move the party another 5 squares before folks will have to make a condition check.

Also! Just like Liza did, does anyone else wish to help lighten Marcus' load by carrying some of the stuff that was bought in town?

bahamut fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 13, 2015

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Halvar Colburn

It might have just been simple a simple grass plain, but Halvar couldn't stop looking around in amazement. He was doing it, he was really chasing after his dream! Gone behind them was boring old Ladutorm and ahead, wondrous sights awaiting. It was like being a little kid again, waiting eagerly to open his birthday presents. For most of that first day travelling, Halvar is too preoccupied to talk much, instead too busy being amazed at the shear novelty of travelling and absently tracing the group's path on his old map.

When darkness beings to fall, Halvar looks at the others and shifts his weight between his feet impatiently. "C'mon are we really stopping now? I'm not even tired! We can keep traveling, can't we?" Speaking in a plaintive tone, the comparison to a child trying to stay up past his bedtime is obvious.

Going to grab a Medicinal Herb, as well as the torch and firestarter from the party set.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Frimelda Brokenshield

Frimelda looked at the group as they were marching. Her eyes were darting around in search for problem a hand always ready to get to her sword at a moment's notice "Even if we may get a couple of hours if we were to push forward I believe that may cost us time to set up a safe camp. My vote will be for resting now and start setting up guards" she said nodding before sighing "Besides... Around a fire is a good way to get to know about each other... If we are going to save the world I'd rather know who is going to fight at my side"

My vote is to make a camping check. My current DEX+INT is 12 so I could either build it or be of help

Also holding onto that antidote and hope we wont need it

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yinus

Yinus's idea of stealthy marching is to apparently follow in line with the rest of the group, only sweeping his ratty pseudo-cloak over his face as he walks. In broad daylight. Away from cover.

Eventually he stifles a yawn as he does his cape routine. "Can't believe you lot would be awake at this time of night in the first place, really."

Vote to camp. Also, Yinus has a preposterous carrying capacity, so anything you don't immediately need at hand, I can haul around for us.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly, we have no damage yet and everyone's condition is average or better. I'd prefer to press on but I'll formalize a post after the last vote comes in.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Liza Lee

"I think we oughta get our rest when we can. The grounds around Ladutorm might be safe, but who knows what kind of nights we'll have down the road?"

She scratches her head. A slight blush of embarassment is visible in the starlight. " 'sides, I start seeing things funny if I don't sleep after a few days." Four days time, to be precise.

Voting to camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Marcus Dandybrook
One, two, one, two.

Wow, this is harder than I remember.

Or maybe my knees are stiffer now?

Nevermind, got to keep up with these kids for now.

Marcus takes several more steps without turning. "You're 100% right, Halvar! There's no time like the present! We've got a beautiful night, the weather is clear, we could really get some..." At this point, though, it seems like he's the only one still walking. "...Rest. Rest is good, too. I keep forgettin' its the first time for some of you! All right, I guess we can stop early tonight." Thank Heavens

Well, then, Miss Brokenshield. You're in charge of getting the camp set up. I'm going to just... Take a breather, stretch a bit. Work the last of the kinks out before we bed down. "

Fact- Moonwort, when mixed properly, is fantastic balm for the joints. And that over there looks like it could be some...

Camp it is. Going to spend the time looking for Herbs rather than assisting on the Camp Check.

Herb Gathering!: 1d6+1d6 6

• Locked thread